• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: PS5 Exclusive Foamstars Enters Open Beta Today, PS Plus Not Required

Those examples aren't free to play games though. They have a very different model, the F2P games' entire revenue model is around MTX.

Both XB and PS have the policy that if a game is free to play, it should not need PS+ or Live to play its online features, but if it's a paid product, you need the sub.

Because they want to have their cake and eat it too.

There’s also the fact that far more work and money went into making Gran Turismo and Diablo, than your run of mill simple ftp game like Foam Stars.

Neither of these are sufficient explanations for why free games get free online. “It‘s the policy”, is not an explanation. MTX revenue supplants the retail MSRP, and some games have both. AAA games utilize the same servers and the same internet pipes, why are they penalized?

“Greed” is an explanation, but not the one that Sony gives. Sony claims the PS plus subscription money is “bringing high-quality games and value-added benefits”. So, are free-to-play game not doing this, and why are they permitted to ignore the mandate?

Blackage

Game is incredibly fun. Played the crap out of it this weekend. It's probably a good thing that there's not a lot of buzz about this beta as it's one of those actual betas where matchmaking and stability is all over the place so if like 200k people were trying to play it would have just gotten bad word of mouth.

I am a little concerned about getting attached as it's a new SquareEnix IP and they don't market things then have surprised Pikachu face when things fail.

It does help that the game is F2P so there's no cost-to-entry, so if they can just get a playerbase goin for this I could see it growing. It's a fun little Splatoon knock-off so if you ever had interest in Splatoon and didn't want to buy Nintendo's garbage Hardware this is a great game to at least try.

Crayon

Makes sense to me that f2p works without psplus. If someone's just playing f2p games, they might be spending more in those than they would on the sub anyway. Having minimal barrier to entry is the point of f2p. It's an arbitrary business decision. It doesn't matter if you don't think it's consistent or anything.

StueyDuck

1Wh6krf.gif

mkacc

Neo Member
It was pretty fun. I like how the foam builds up and can be use strategically. There were obvious matchmaking issues but that's why this was a beta.
I felt like there's not enough feedback when you hit your opponents and some matches can be incredibly quick to end. I might give it a try when it launches.

Top Bottom