• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any hype or interest for the Foamstars open beta tomorrow?

Barakov

Gold Member
As funny as spraying each other with cum sounds, I think I'll pass.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF

Played 5 matches, and here are my thoughts:

Hardcore Splatoon fans will be disappointed. Generic music and characters, slower game play, no dynamic maps. Sliding on a foamboard isn't the same as diving in to ink.

Had a bunch of disconnects.

On the positive side, it's fun on a basic level. Sliding in to people to finish them off, or save a party member is fun. Lots of dumb players who stand around and not help you when you're about to die, but that's just inexperience (I hope).

Overall, I feel like this isn't a bad building block, and with some tweaks and changes it could be a much better experience. Better than I thought it would be, but nothing I'd spend time or money on at this point.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It's a Playstation exclusive. Weird how they thought releasing a GaaS multiplayer game on Playstation but not on PC, Xbox or Switch. It's like they wanted to have a tiny player base .

Tiny player base? There are 150 million PS4 and PS5 out there. It's beta phase and development simplicity for GAAS project goes a long way in terms of quality and resource allocation.

Based on positive rumblings in the Twittersphere, it looks like they struck gold.

-Zelda-

Banned
I suck at these types of games because no matter how hard I try to stay with my team, they never stay with me. It has a nice visual style though, and I do like the way it feels.

I suck at these types of games because no matter how hard I try to stay with my team, they never stay with me. It has a nice visual style though, and I do like the way it feels.
If you stick with something you like, you'll get better and find your own play style before you know it. As you grow confident in your abilities you'll start to notice when it's best to stick with teammates or try to control another area on your own with more skilled players involved on both sides.

[Sigma]

My team won my very first match. Got MVP. Used Jet Justice. I only played 1 match but will not lie, I had some fun with that 1 match. Everything played well technical wise and connection was great even on my trash internet. Will play more throughout the weekend likely. Besides Jet Justice, im going to use Tonix, Penny and Baristador next.

Fabieter

Yeah, I really don't get this. What's up with Square Enix putting this only on the PS5 when Sony future GaaS/MP titles like for example Helldivers 2 will be day one on both PS5 and PC. Do they want this MP only game to not take off? What gives?!

It depends how prepared they are to have a mp game like that on pc. If its cheater infested from day one than they don't win anything rho.

How long until there is NSFW of this? Just the name alone sounds dirty 😂.

I'll give a try as it is free but I'm going with low expectations.

[Sigma]

Started out 5-0 only to go 0-5 in the next 5 lol. Very pick up and play. You can definitely drop the game for a while and don't feel like you need to play it every other day to keep up. Digging Tonix. Still don't know if i'll play the final game.

Last edited:

Crayon

I have to get up from this. It takes a lil too long for the matches to start the way this beta is set up. I'm having a good time, though.

near

Gold Member
It's a Playstation exclusive. Weird how they thought releasing a GaaS multiplayer game on Playstation but not on PC, Xbox or Switch. It's like they wanted to have a tiny player base .
It's being developed by Toylogic, S-E aren't handling this internally. Toylogic have minimal to zero experience with GaaS let alone a multiplatform variant. This probably has the best chance of surviving at launch in a stable and functional state as an exclusive before being rolled out to PC and other platforms.

Crayon

Must be getting busier. Matching really fast then everything breaks. When is this supposed to come out?

Seen like they fixed the motion control since last night. It was essentially backwards. Now it's nice but I'd like more settings for it.

I have to get up from this. It takes a lil too long for the matches to start the way this beta is set up. I'm having a good time, though.
Yea honestly they needed to look at overwatch. You hit quick play and you're instantly in queue unlike here where you have to watch an animation of some animal DJ while he says the same repetitive voice lines. Then there should be a quick loading screen and boom character select. After that you have control of your character in the pre surf start and then the game starts with characters surfing up to the stage.

Too much waiting and failed matchmaking. The game is fun though and netcode feels alright enough.

Top Bottom