• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any modern game like Onimusha or Legacy of Kain?

Xeaker

Can someone recommend me some modern games which came out in the last years that feel like Onimusha 1-3 or the Legacy of Kain series?
I played Nioh and I don't think it's like Onimusha at all.
Can also be Indie games if they have at least PS1 graphics.

GiddySomeGenet-size_restricted.gif
23tkVF2ipXqVXZtxDcmkShF8yCWKyzajumgWkzMVZ7nYNGJ2HadQVAWtnKtnhfZfYFfgg.gif

Mr Hyde

There was once a rumor that Blood Omen was to be remade for current gen, as a huge open world game. I so wish that was true. Unfortunately, it's probably just a load of bollocks.

Modrot

I've been looking for similar horror/puzzle/adventure hack and slashers since Onimusha and I still haven't found any.

Closest is the first DMC but I'd assume OP already played it.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Can someone recommend me some modern games which came out in the last years that feel like Onimusha 1-3 or the Legacy of Kain series?

Blood Omen: Legacy Kain is a much better game than the above 'Soul Reaver' series. It's not 3D but a top down ARPG.

iQuasarLV

Are you asking about atmosphere / theme or gameplay? Two different areas of recommendations.

Didn't feel an ounce of Onimusha while playing those games. None of those games have that atmosphere (well, maybe Ni-Oh). Onimusha is in a realm of its own.
Well no game will play exactly like it. Maybe shinobi if you want a game from a similar era...but modern games you won't get close outside of sekiro and Nioh.

HYDE

Banned
OP needs to play Nioh 1 & 2 all the way through…unless they present too much of a challenge I guess. Literally aspects of all 4 Onimusha titles are littered throughout, and that’s atmosphere included. I suspect someone needs to get better at playing them or summon online assistance.

Well no game will play exactly like it. Maybe shinobi if you want a game from a similar era...but modern games you won't get close outside of sekiro and Nioh.

Shinobi for PS2 has a very nice atmosphere, without a doubt. Completely different game-play.

I don't know what it is, but very few modern games have that same atmosphere (art, sound, music) that games from the late 90s and early 2000s had.

Never once did I say to myself, "Wow, this feels like Onimusha" while I was playing Sekiro. Hell, I would say Sekiro is more akin to Tenchu than Onimusha.

I can understand Ni-Oh to a certain extent but it does not itch that spot Onimusha has left. I love all those games but they unfortunately did not come close to give me the same level of excitement when I first booted up Onimusha back on PS2.

fart town usa

Gold Member
As others have mentioned.

I'd say Nioh/Sekiro for Onimusha.

And Darksiders for Legacy of Kain. Kind of a stretch but can't really think of anything else TBH for that type of game.

HYDE

Banned
Shinobi for PS2 has a very nice atmosphere, without a doubt. Completely different game-play.

I don't know what it is, but very few modern games have that same atmosphere (art, sound, music) that games from the late 90s and early 2000s had.

Never once did I say to myself, "Wow, this feels like Onimusha" while I was playing Sekiro. Hell, I would say Sekiro is more akin to Tenchu than Onimusha.

I can understand Ni-Oh to a certain extent but it does not itch that spot Onimusha has left. I love all those games but they unfortunately did not come close to give me the same level of excitement when I first booted up Onimusha back on PS2.
Nostalgia is helluva drug

Xeaker

I played Sekiro and Nioh and they are nothing like Onimusha.
Elden Ring is a Souls game, Darksiders III too.

So does that mean that there is really NO game in the last 10 years that are like those games?
Not even Indie games? wtf...

Did you end up getting Genma?

Did it kick your ass or do I just suck at games? lol.
I did, and enemeies are billed as being twice as tougher than the original, so it's not you who sucks at games. To offset that increase in difficulty, the Green Orbs system has been introduced which when you collect 5 of them and activate it it's this game's approximate equivalent of a Super mode ala Devil Trigger in DMC series, where you become invincible as you consume Green Orbs and when it runs out, you're back to normal. Too bad it doesn't increase attack power too, but I think there are other tweaks to combat like charged slashes that don't need the Green Orbs to function

Y0ssarian

Banned
I'm playing Onimusha 2 Samurai's Destiny on PS2 right now and there is nothing like it on modern. Maybe try Darksiders for Legacy of Kain

Banned
Darksiders is the closest thing you will get to Soul Reaver in the modern day!

R.58c9f41281e5ea703af477a85b6bf8d6

the game starts REALLY combat heavy, so don't let yourself be fooled by that. this game is a mix of Soul Reaver, DMC, God of War and Zelda.
the Combat is almost a mix between DMC-lite and God of War, it has the feel (pause combos, launch attacks) and sword focus of DMC + guns, and the orbs and finishing moves of God of War. it also has less depth than DMC which also makes it over all feel more like God of War.
it also has combat elements similar Soul Reaver as you can grab objects and use them as weapons... like lamp posts... or FREAKING CARS!
the platforming is reminiscent of Soul Reaver with Wings to glide with and all, and the puzzles/dungeons are very Zelda like

Darksiders 1 all in all was VERY high on my top games list back on 360, and the Warmastered Edition is a really good way to play it now with 4K and 60fps support + slightly touched up assets

this is only true for the first game mind you! every game in the series has it's own spin on the formula.

Darksiders 2's combat is deeper with more secondary weapon choices and it has a bigger more open world with heavy Loot elements like Diablo. the game basically shits weapons at you at all times lol. it still has Zelda like dungeons tho, but the platforming has been made more formulaic, as in you can't grab onto most ledges anymore only if they are basically marked, which is very different from the first game that handles it more like Soul Reaver as I said, with most ledges that look like you can grab them being grabable.

Darksiders 3 on the other hand has less puzzles and took a lot of inspiration from Dark Souls. very dialed back platforming and dialed back Zelda elements but more challenging and the world is less open again.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I'm playing Onimusha 2 Samurai's Destiny on PS2 right now and there is nothing like it on modern. Maybe try Darksiders for Legacy of Kain

Good ass game! Replayed that early last year along with 3. Nothing exist like them right now, as much as I like NioH and Ghost Of Tsushima, they are nothing like what Onimusha is in terms of theme, feel or anything to even be considered in the ballpark. Replaying them made me really appreciate what we had back when with that series and I'd really want a 5th game and for the series to continue, I personally liked it more them DMC during that gen and was surprised they were so quick to move on and not continue.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Good ass game! Replayed that early last year along with 3. Nothing exist like them right now, as much as I like NioH and Ghost Of Tsushima, they are nothing like what Onimusha is in terms of theme, feel or anything to even be considered in the ballpark. Replaying them made me really appreciate what we had back when with that series and I'd really want a 5th game and for the series to continue, I personally liked it more them DMC during that gen and was surprised they were so quick to move on and not continue.
I best Warlords Remastered last year and it put me onto the series. I'm going to play all of them eventually and at the moment I'm on 2. I already liked Capcom though. I agree with pretty much all your points. There is nothing like it in terms of atmosphere and gameplay. Even to unfairly reduce it to the status of resident evil with samurai, there are no games like that. I can't comment on the gameplay of 3, or Dawn of Dreams yet.

EDMIX

I best Warlords Remastered last year and it put me onto the series. I'm going to play all of them eventually and at the moment I'm on 2. I already liked Capcom though. I agree with pretty much all your points. There is nothing like it in terms of atmosphere and gameplay. Even to unfairly reduce it to the status of resident evil with samurai, there are no games like that. I can't comment on the gameplay of 3, or Dawn of Dreams yet.

If you like 1 and 2, you'll live the next 2 as well. Its a solid series. Enjoy!

DavidGzz

Plenty of games that poop on those are out now. Sekiro and Ghost of Tshushima are amazing and like Onimusha. Unless you really need prerendered backgrounds and tank controls, then idk lol. Any Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring are better versions of Legacy of Kain. I would LOVE a reboot of LoK ASAP. I loved the original.

EDMIX

Plenty of games that poop on those are out now. Sekiro and Ghost of Tshushima are amazing and like Onimusha.
I don't think they just mean Asian people with swords.... so no, those games are not like Onimusha even remotely. As time goes on, I realize that most games simply can't be that series based on how it was done and made. Like Sekiro for example, great game btw, but Onimusha never had some movement like that, even with me liking the combat.

Ghost Of Tsushima is nothing like it either as lots of it is more grounded outside of those dream sequences, but its sword play with the stances might be the closest in terms of the sword play, but it doesn't poop on any Onimusha title for what those titles did well.
Unless you really need prerendered backgrounds and tank controls, then idk lol
The movement, fixed camera, weapons, mythological theme, we are just not getting all that in any of those games to get anyone's hopes up that they can find those feelz in a current title. I say that as someone that played the whole Onimusha series at launch and still play it time to time generations later, while play Sekiro, Ghost Of Tsushima, NiOh 1 and 2 etc

The exact thing they had going on as far as I can tell literally doesn't exist outside of the Onimusha series.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Go back and play the Japanese version of Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, which didn't have the US version's completely busted difficulty and ridiculously sponge-y enemies. And is entirely in English. That's probably the closest you're going to get.

To echo some others in the thread, there really hasn't been a substitute for Onimusha's brand of actioning. The genre tends to either be 1) open-world games overly focused on exploration and RPG elements, 2) DMC-style combo-heavy games purely focused on combat, or 3) Dark Souls clones. So, I'd argue that going back to the PS2-era systems is the only way to really scratch that itch.

DavidGzz

I don't think they just mean Asian people with swords.... so no, those games are not like Onimusha even remotely. As time goes on, I realize that most games simply can't be that series based on how it was done and made. Like Sekiro for example, great game btw, but Onimusha never had some movement like that, even with me liking the combat.

Ghost Of Tsushima is nothing like it either as lots of it is more grounded outside of those dream sequences, but its sword play with the stances might be the closest in terms of the sword play, but it doesn't poop on any Onimusha title for what those titles did well.

The movement, fixed camera, weapons, mythological theme, we are just not getting all that in any of those games to get anyone's hopes up that they can find those feelz in a current title. I say that as someone that played the whole Onimusha series at launch and still play it time to time generations later, while play Sekiro, Ghost Of Tsushima, NiOh 1 and 2 etc

The exact thing they had going on as far as I can tell literally doesn't exist outside of the Onimusha series.

Yeah, you're right. Nothing recent that feels like those games. But games like that wouldn't sell anymore besides to some old school gamers. I think they were awesome for their time, but would a new one excite me? Maybe only because of nostalgia.

I think our only hope for something like Onimusha would be an Indy dev. Even if Capcom remade it, it would be modernized. They are better off making Dragon's Dogma 2 sales wise.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yeah, you're right. Nothing recent that feels like those games. But games like that wouldn't sell anymore besides to some old school gamers. I think they were awesome for their time, but would a new one excite me? Maybe only because of nostalgia.

Agreed. As much as I love the IP, I'm aware of the situation and don't feel a new Onimusha 5 would play exactly like those past ones.

Several things would happen that I'm prepared to accept to have a new title as I'm aware Capcom is a business and they need to make it make sense.

Likely open world. Going from town to town saving it from demons, but limited in scope to where its a set path. Go to town, meet some girl who family got DEMONED UP, turn around and the fucking door is flames now so you know you fucked up, explore town to kill demons, find puzzles, new weapons, save towns people, get this...this hoe family WAS the demons and she is now torn in either supporting you in ridding the town of demons, or joining her demon ass family lol

Flames lower after boss battle, fuck ass town better be thankful and give you a new item, you go on your way to the next town to kill demons on a mythical orb sucking horse lol

Though I liked the fixed camera, I'm fine with its removal to traditional 3rd person.

To keep the feels and ground the combat, I'd like it to remain without a jump button.

Add co-op ala Dawn Of Dreams or Onimusha 2 friends or Onimusha 3 friends (that series had a lot of side mutha fuckers always around lol)
Add co-op also to the demon elevator like mini game were you keep going down floors and the friends can choose who uses the health, or power up etc

11-Image43.jpg

Would need to add horse combat if clearly you'd be going from place to place.

798452-onimusha-2-samurai-s-destiny-playstation-2-screenshot-the.jpg

So I think one can work, but simply not exactly like back in the day. I fear the moment they see that trailer and see the hero getting them orbs, it will be called a Souls clone lol

KeenFoolhardyIbizanhound-size_restricted.gif

Top Bottom