• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any modern game like Onimusha or Legacy of Kain?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Castlevania LoS 1 and 2 for LoK. Maybe even Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War.

But personally I don't think anything comes close to anything resembling Legacy of Kain. I think it's a unique archetype all it's own and the odd game here and there has some similar elements to it like the Souls games or fantasy hack and slash kind of games.

LoK's strong points were strong storytelling and HnS gameplay with a bit of puzzle solving not entirely unlike past Tomb Raider games. At least after Blood Omen.

LoK I really enjoyed because the protagonist was a monster that fought other monsters and was the best thing the world had to offer.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
On a side note...any opinions on Tenshu : Wrath of Heaven ? I remember playing and liking Stealth Assassins back when it came out on the PS1, but didn't play much of the series after that.
Imagine the Tenchu you played but without the fuckery of the PS1 holding it back. Wrath of Heaven and Fatal Shadows were both great, you should play them.

Related: Aragami, a modern game inspired by Tenchu. There’s a sequel that I haven’t yet played, but the first is worth getting.

NahaNago

I'd say devil may cry 5 has probably been the closest thing. I really wanted a new onimusha game but I'm thinking they would probably really mess it up somehow.

Banned
Plenty of games that poop on those are out now. Sekiro and Ghost of Tshushima are amazing and like Onimusha. Unless you really need prerendered backgrounds and tank controls, then idk lol. Any Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring are better versions of Legacy of Kain. I would LOVE a reboot of LoK ASAP. I loved the original.

wtf does Ghost of Tsushima have in common with Onimusha? basically nothing... Onimusha is an action adventure with a Metroid-esque connected world and very methodical combat...
Ghost of Tsushima is an open world stealth action game...

neither does Dark Souls have anything in common with Soul Reaver, like, what?
Soul Reaver is a classic action adventure with puzzles and platforming + light fighting and zero RPG elements.
Dark Souls is an Action RPG with a strong focus on fighting in general and boss fight

neither of the examples you gave are even in the same genre, you basically just listed games with similar art styles/themes, that's not how games are usually categorised, we aren't talking about movies here after all.

SeraphJan

On a side note...any opinions on Tenshu : Wrath of Heaven ? I remember playing and liking Stealth Assassins back when it came out on the PS1, but didn't play much of the series after that.
Tenchu are very challenging games, basically inspired Sekiro, the game mechanic is robust for PS1 game, the ones on PS2 is also pretty good

Tenchu had my favorite grappling mechanic out of all game

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
IRL depend on perspective, he's also pretty bad, killing all the monk, burning temples and stuff.

Worshipping his own statue was pretty hilarious
In Ninja Gaiden II (2008) the lore states he was the one who seeked out the Hayabusa ninja clan because he knew they were based and got them to build the castle to fight against demons. In Samurai Warriors 5 he is the lead character. Of course, these are just videogames. I have only read wikipedia on Nobunaga.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

In Ninja Gaiden II (2008) the lore states he was the one who seeked out the Hayabusa ninja clan because he knew they were based and got them to build the castle to fight against demons. In Samurai Warriors 5 he is the lead character. Of course, these are just videogames. I have only read wikipedia on Nobunaga.
In Sengoku Ji Dai, Nobunaga was mostly notorious for massacring Ikko-Ikki (A huge rebellion peasant faction across the entire japan that was influenced by Buddhism) , killing countless warrior monk and peasant, burning their temples, thus he was dubbed Dai-Roku-Ten Ma-Ou which translate to Demon King of Six Heaven(Buddhism version of Satan). He destroys the Buddha statue replace it with his own, and bow to it.

Every time when a video game portray him as some kind of ruler of demon, that's the perspective they are taking, namely Onimusha series

Last edited:
Can someone recommend me some modern games which came out in the last years that feel like Onimusha 1-3 or the Legacy of Kain series?
I played Nioh and I don't think it's like Onimusha at all.
Can also be Indie games if they have at least PS1 graphics.

GiddySomeGenet-size_restricted.gif
23tkVF2ipXqVXZtxDcmkShF8yCWKyzajumgWkzMVZ7nYNGJ2HadQVAWtnKtnhfZfYFfgg.gif
Onimusha isn't even like Legacy of Kain?

GrayFoxPL

Like Legacy of Cain? Psychonauts 2 / Ratchet and Clank

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Tenchu Wrath of Heaven was developed by different dev (K2 LLC) than original Tenchu Stealth Assassins and Tenchu 2 (Acquire).

So it feels different but it's not bad. Quite good. Just that the music in Tenchu Stealth Assassins is so incredible nothing can stand to it.

Tenchu: Fatal Shadows is another one from K2 LLC and it feels upgraded but it lacks Rikimaru.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Keeping the (canceled) Legacy alive

I'm actually not a fan of the direction in this canceled project. It looks uninspired and jarringly blue in dialog..

They need some good writers, and I wouldn't mind if they leaned more into Dark Souls and inFamous/prototype for inspiration for combat. ALSO I would want a darker (higher contrast) art direction akin to bloodborne and OG soul reaver.

Castef

Banned
If you have not played it back then and you are are looking for something similar to Soul Reaver I'd advice you to play Shadowman Remastered.

rapid32.5

the fact that Capcom hasn’t released other Onimushas is mind boggling. Get those games going, we don’t need Marvel wanna be Dino Crisis garbage.

KiteGr

Nioh 1 & 2 are Onimusha games without the fixed camera, backtracking and tank controls. All of those would be questionable aspects in a current game.

peronmls

Nioh and Ninja Gaiden are very close to Onimusha than any other game out there IMO in terms of combat and setting. Fantasy and Feudal Japan mix.

Last edited:
I am looking for games that feel like Onimusha and games that feel like the Legacy of Kain games.
But it seems like there exist none even after 16 years!
Not even one Indie game... I am fine with PS1 graphics...

Ok gotcha.

Yeah it sucks. Those two games are amazing and I especially wish LoK can be brought back.

Gameboy415

To be honest OP, nothing is like Onimusha right now. Fingers crossed on a reboot, remake, 5th game lol

the fact that Capcom hasn’t released other Onimushas is mind boggling. Get those games going, we don’t need Marvel wanna be Dino Crisis garbage.

It probably won't happen any time soon, sadly. They released an HD remaster of the original game for PC, PS4, Xbox One, & Switch back in 2019 but it sold terribly so they allegedly scrapped plans for further remasters/new games.

In response to the OP, it sounds like you don't like Souls games but you might enjoy Bloodborne (if you haven't already tried it). It's technically an Action RPG like the other games but is much more action-focused, horror-themed, and features several sword/melee weapons.

coffinbirth

I cannot believe no one has mentioned this, buuuuut....Genji: Dawn of the Samurai​

It also had a sequel for PS3, but it's not as good.

Y0ssarian

Banned
Are the Legacy of Kain games for PS2 worth getting aka Defiance and Soul Reaver 2? I have only played Blood Omen

Darksiders is a lot like the Soul Reaver games thematically and in the gameplay and story and atmosphere.

In fact, as a huge Legacy of Kain fan, I'd stay Darksiders is the closest thing we have to it in the past decade or two.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Are the Legacy of Kain games for PS2 worth getting aka Defiance and Soul Reaver 2? I have only played Blood Omen
Soul Reaver 2 is great when you like the lore of the predecessor. It's among the best industrywide in this aspect. Gameplay wise I think its weaker than the first one, far more linear, repetitive combat.

Bloom Omen 2 is basically a flip. Gameplay is pretty good, but dialogues and plot are below the standard the series is known for.

Defiance is again pretty repetitive gameplay wise and nothing noteworthy in that aspect, but plot and dialogue hold up and it's a satisfying conclusion to the LOK saga.

You should play the first Soul Reaver first. It may be a little clunky compared to modern games, and there a lot of old design tropes (block pushing puzzles), but it is still a fun game. The plot and dialogue is the reason it is remembered though... the OST is also great honestly. Anyway, play SR1 before getting into the sequels or watch something like this:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Soul Reaver 2 is great when you like the lore of the predecessor. It's among the best industrywide in this aspect. Gameplay wise I think its weaker than the first one, far more linear, repetitive combat.

Bloom Omen 2 is basically a flip. Gameplay is pretty good, but dialogues and plot are below the standard the series is known for.

Defiance is again pretty repetitive gameplay wise and nothing noteworthy in that aspect, but plot and dialogue hold up and it's a satisfying conclusion to the LOK saga.

You should play the first Soul Reaver first. It may be a little clunky compared to modern games, and there a lot of old design tropes (block pushing puzzles), but it is still a fun game. The plot and dialogue is the reason it is remembered though... the OST is also great honestly. Anyway, play SR1 before getting into the sequels or watch something like this:

Don't know if I could hack Soul Reaver 1. I'll definitely watch that video though and go from there. Apparently Defiance is a hack and slash; that interests me. Thank you for the information

coffinbirth

Genji is based but it's not a 'modern' game. I assume OP means current gen or the previous one
While the title does indeed say modern, the op went on to say this...

"I am looking for games that feel like Onimusha and games that feel like the Legacy of Kain games.
Not even one Indie game... I am fine with PS1 graphics..."

So, Genji is probably the closest to what they are actually looking for.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Onimusha is pretty much Resident Evil 1-3 but with more of a focus on combat.
Onimusha3 is also amazing.
If you skip the story, Onimusha 4 is pretty damn fun, too.

Xeaker

"I am looking for games that feel like Onimusha and games that feel like the Legacy of Kain games.

I already played Genji. Didn't it came out 2005 or 2006?
I am disappointed in modern gaming variety.

Y0ssarian

Banned

I already played Genji. Didn't it came out 2005 or 2006?
I am disappointed in modern gaming variety.

Don't know if I could hack Soul Reaver 1. I'll definitely watch that video though and go from there. Apparently Defiance is a hack and slash; that interests me. Thank you for the information

Definitely play Soul Reaver 1, it's the best in the series. Go with the Dreamcast version using an emulator like Redream, it's the best way to play Soul Reaver.

Arioco

If you liked Soul Reaver (and everyone should like Soul Reaver, because it's a masterpiece 😂) you'll like Soul Reaver 2. It's pretty much the same but with way better visuals, as you would expect from a game for a new generation.

LoK: Defiance is a different beast, but I really enjoyed too. The game focuses on the story a lot too, like both Soul Reaver games, but this time cameras are fixed and combat is way more important. Puzzle solving is still there, of course. I really loved playing as both Raziel and Kain for the first time in the series.

It's a shame that Square has decided to abandon the series, really, it's always been one of my favorite sagas. Just imagine how a new Soul Reaver could look with current technology. If only they gave it a chance again...

Y0ssarian

Banned
If you liked Soul Reaver (and everyone should like Soul Reaver, because it's a masterpiece 😂) you'll like Soul Reaver 2. It's pretty much the same but with way better visuals, as you would expect from a game for a new generation.

LoK: Defiance is a different beast, but I really enjoyed too. The game focuses on the story a lot too, like both Soul Reaver games, but this time cameras are fixed and combat is way more important. Puzzle solving is still there, of course. I really loved playing as both Raziel and Kain for the first time in the series.

It's a shame that Square has decided to abandon the series, really, it's always been one of my favorite sagas. Just imagine how a new Soul Reaver could look with current technology. If only they gave it a chance again...
Thank you fren. Can I start with Defiance?

With the way Square is churning out games lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a LoK game

Arioco

Thank you fren. Can I start with Defiance?

With the way Square is churning out games lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a LoK game

Well, I wouldn't recommend you start with Defiance if you really want to pay attention to the story. Everything that happens in Soul Reaver 1 and 2 leads to the events in Defiance. I would play those first, and if you like ARPGs I would play Blood Omen first of them all, since it's how it all started. If you don't like that kind of game I would play at least Soul Reaver 1 and 2 in order to understand the story and motivations of both Raziel and Kain. That would make Defiance's plot much easier to follow.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
you'll like Soul Reaver 2. It's pretty much the same but with way better visuals, as you would expect from a game for a new generation.
yes, but I think it should be noted, that SR2 is way more linear and gets rid of the metroidvania-esque world that SR1 had. Also the combat is dumbed down. In SR1 there was more strategy to it, because you had to kill the vampires by exposing them to fire or by stabbing them in the heart with a sharp object. In SR2 you mostly fight humans, so that layer of depth got replaced with a very typical combat system for the time. SR2 is the best in terms of plot and dialogue though (imo).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I cannot believe no one has mentioned this, buuuuut....Genji: Dawn of the Samurai​

It also had a sequel for PS3, but it's not as good.

It's unfortunate that the sequel was something completely different (and nowhere near as good). The whole giant enemy crab thing is usually what people think of when they hear "Genji," but the first game was a really good riff on the Onimusha formula.

The PS2 Rygar game would be another one worth mentioning as far as these types of action games go. But again... the thing's 20 years old. Not modern. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Modrot

This thread is a perfect example of people:

A) not bothering to look up anything when they're literally on an internet connected device

B) rehashing popular beliefs/recommendations regardless if they actually makes sense.

Top Bottom