• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any suggestions or criticms on this DragonBall Z movie script I'm writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon

Banned
I'm not a professional screenwriter (understatement), but I've had a fascination with a live-action DragonBall Z movie ever since I saw the show. I always thought it could be an incredible film, and evidently so did 20th Century Fox... and they gave us 2 hours of entertainment in DragonBall: Evolution. Just not in the way we would have liked.

So I decided on a whim to try giving it a go myself, since it's apparent Fox has no interest after Ben Ramsey's / James Wong's "Evolution" misfire. I firmly believe it has just as much potential as a Marvel film, but it all depends on the talent involved and the direction they decide to take.

First thing is, my attempt is based on DRAGONBALL Z. Not DragonBall as Evolution was. And just as importantly, it's based on the American version -- not that there's any major differences in the story but the terminology is different from the Japanese.

Secondly, I'm not trying to make a carbon copy of the manga because there would be no point. I'm trying to make a Hollywood style film script that condenses the major events of Dragon Ball Z to fit a blockbuster movie. Unlike Evolution however, I am going to remain faithful in its tone and scale.

Some important plot changes to keep in mind:

1) We begin with Freeza, King Cold, Bardock and his origin story, and Goku who is sent to Earth just as he is in the original version. I believe this is the best possible opening you could do for a live-action DragonBall movie, as it could easily be the real beginning of DragonBall Z. It sets up the story of the Saiyans, who they are, who the "big bad" is (think Thanos), and who the hero is in the first 10-15 minutes of the film with no bullshit in the way. Easily digestible for first-time watchers.

2) Even though Freeza does NOT appear as the "main villain" in this first screenplay, because he is shown right at the start he is established as the ultimate badass for the next movies. I want to make it clear that Freeza IS the endgame. There is no Cell, there is no Buu, there is no Androids, nothing. It's Freeza and that's it. And no, he doesn't come back to life.

3) Vegeta and Radditz are the two Saiyans who come to Earth - yes, only one Saiyan invasion. This is super important as the Radditz portion of DragonBall Z is far too similar to the Vegeta/Nappa portion and would slow down the pace of the film tremendously if we did both. Think about it; for a TV show or manga it works fine (arguably), but for a film where you only have 90+ minutes to work with, you need to get your point across much more quickly. We can condense it into one big encounter and make it much more impactful than Piccolo training Gohan in the wilderness for 5 hours.

4) Certain characters (I'm thinkin' Yamcha or Tien, or Chaotzu, or Puar, or Oolong) don't really fit in the film. I'm going for a serious take on the franchise and while there's nothing wrong with any of those characters, they slow it down and get in the way of the story. This has to be a condensed version of DragonBall Z, and despite trying to remain faithful, it is impossible to retain everything.

5) The main flow would be --- Freeza / King Cold's introduction (below), Bardock sending his son Goku to escape before they attempt to overthrow Freeza, a MONTAGE of Goku growing up on Earth as a kid (the DragonBall series condensed into a few minutes), then the Saiyan invasion with Vegeta and Radditz where Goku learns of his origins, and so on.

With all that out of the way, I'm including the first four pages of my feeble attempt at a DBZ screenplay. It begins with Freeza and King Cold in space, setting up their motivations for being such pricks, and establishing that they rule over a race that they see as slaves trying foolishly to rise up (the Saiyans).

Let me know what you think, but keep in mind it's literally the first attempt and will go through many revisions... but if it completely sucks, I'll just stop right now. It's up to you. I would like to know if anyone is even interested in at least the ideas, if not the poor execution. Thanks!

DRAGON BALL Z

Written by
Canon

FADE INTO OUTER SPACE. An enormous alien spacecraft flies by an endless sea of stars and unfamiliar planets.

CUT TO: INT. SPACE CRAFT - THRONE ROOM

A small, 5-foot tall white humanoid creature stands by the window of the spacecraft observing the vastness of space outside. It has a smirk on its face.

CREATURE
Disgusting, isn’t it father?

CAMERA PULLS BACK to reveal another ALIEN sitting on a gigantic throne big enough to fit his enormous stature. This creature was more than twice the size of the smaller alien and its purple skin was a stark contrast to the white. Enter KING COLD.

KING COLD
What exactly is so disgusting about nothing, my dear child?

The smaller alien is visibly annoyed by this retort.

CREATURE
Does that not infuriate you? The emptiness of it all.

KING COLD
Why would it?

CREATURE
This universe is just begging for a purpose, to break the tedium I am so profoundly sick of. I am not content in watching things fly by us any longer.

KING COLD
(laughing)
Is that so? And what do you propose we do instead?

CREATURE
Create a purpose. Give these unlearned savages something to live for.

KING COLD
And what would that be?

CREATURE
Us, of course.

KING COLD lets out a big devilish belly laugh.

KING COLD
Ah, there we are. I thought for but a moment that you had grown empathy all of a sudden.

CREATURE
Empathy? In what universe is that useful?

KING COLD
I’ve yet to find one.

CREATURE
Then perhaps we shall find out when we conquer every inch of the galaxy.

KING COLD
My, my, aren’t we getting ahead of ourselves.

CREATURE
There’s nothing that can stand in our way. The power that we possess is enough to destroy and rebuild anything we so desire, in our perfect image.

CAMERA PANS around the spacecraft, revealing more of itself and giving time for the gravity of the creature’s words to sink in.

CUT TO: KING COLD ON HIS THRONE - CONTINUOUS

KING COLD
Hmm... You’ve convinced me, boy. I apologize for becoming so complacent in ruling so few. We should be expanding our kingdom to planets beyond even our own reach.

CREATURE
These monkeys are so useless now. Incompetent lower life, clinging so pointlessly to their heritage and their “pride”... They’re far too difficult to control the way they should be.

KING COLD
This is true as well. I can sense mutiny rising -- it won’t be long before they try to revolt. It could very well be that we’ve worked them to their limit.

CREATURE
No. The Saiyans are too strong to be quitters… they grow more powerful after every battle. The truth is, there’s one among them that’s given the others some pathetic sense of self worth. As if they could stand up to a God and topple it...

KING COLD
Hmm? And who is this Saiyan?

CREATURE
He’s nothing but a monkey who’s been out of his cage for too long.

KING COLD
Son… are you thinking what I believe you are?

CREATURE
You know me all too well.

KING COLD
If the Saiyans were to perish, it would be a major setback in our operations, wouldn't you say?

CREATURE
It was only a matter of time before they were to expire. It’s a pity, but it can’t be helped.

KING COLD
Now, now… I am not convinced that those measures are yet necessary.

Silence.

KING COLD (CONT’D)
If this Saiyan you speak of confronts you, you may defend yourself. Otherwise, be patient and observe his actions closely.

CREATURE
I don’t need your permission like a child.

KING COLD
Consider it a request, then.

CREATURE
(smiling)
I’ll think it over.

KING COLD
Freeza…

Its name revealed.

FREEZA
Yes father?

KING COLD
… I am quite looking forward to seeing what you’re capable of.

FREEZA
So am I.

FADE OUT TO BLACK.​

SegaShack

It's like the generic cliche lines of dialogue from every super hero movie but all rolled into one, and that's just the opening.

munchie64

I was cringing before the script even started, when you talked about "tone" and "seriousness". From a fans perspective, that would be as bad as Evolution.

Ignoring that... That isn't the best script to start off a serious movie... It's cliché and pompous and ridiculous and hilarious.

Sorry. Keep writing though!

Canon

Banned
I was cringing before the script even started, when you talked about "tone" and "seriousness". From a fans perspective, that would be as bad as Evolution.

Ignoring that... That isn't the best script to start off a serious movie... It's cliché and pompous and ridiculous and hilarious.
I realize that the show is usually light and comedic, but there's a huge group of people who just know the American version of DBZ with that blaring rock soundtrack and serious delivery. I don't think there's only one group of fans.

munchie64

I realize that the show is usually light and comedic, but there's a huge group of people who just know the American version of DBZ with that blaring rock soundtrack and serious delivery. I don't think there's only one group of fans.
Well you'll need a Mondo Cool reference for sure.

SalvaPot

Ohohohoho this is going to be good.

(I actually like the original Dragon Bal Evolution, I am pretty sure I saved my movie ticket)

Buzzman

Banned
Like, you should totally keep writing if you want, more power to you

but maybe don't put this up on the internet.

I wrote something similar when I was like 13 and I'd be horrified if it turned up online.

constructive criticism: i don't know if the space devil monster men really need like five minutes of discussion about whether they'll blow up the monkey klingons with their energy blasts

way more

Let this both be a reaction gif and a suggestion. Maybe use a Star wipe once in a while when the plot demands it.

highfive-starwipe.gif

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
It's pretty good but goku should go ssj9 and android 18 should clone herself and then the two android 18's and piccolo bang.

Why give you advice when we all can just chip in and finish the script together!

DRAGON BALL Z
Part 2

Written by
Canon
Shamrock7r

SCREEN FADES FROM BLACK INTO A FOREST (Caption at bottom (in comic sans font) reads: 20 YEARS LATER)

PAN OF FOREST LIFE AND ANIMALS RUNNING ACROSS SCREEN

ZOOM IN

A young male is seen in the distance standing on a cliffside, facing a rock on cliff.

FADE IN CLOSER

The rock is revealed to be a grave stone. Engraved in the stone it says, "Here lies Son Gohan, beloved father: Carpe Diem"

CUT TO VIEW OF YOUNG MALE: Face not revealed. You can only see his lower jaw. His teeth clentch, to show emotional pain, presumably over the death of Son Gohan. The young male is wearing faded brownish orange Gi, with multiple dirt stains and torn cloth.

ZOOM IN TO FIST CLENCHED..........................SHAKING
We hear the figure grunting, as if trying to say something

YOUNG MALE: You were like a father to me. You cared for me....ugh....You taught me how to fight. You tried to...ugh... keep me safe. In the end.... it was I...ugh... who could not keep you safe. But I swear to the Gods, you will be avenged.

YOUNG MALE PLACES HAND ON GRAVE STONE.

PAN OUT TO YOUNG MALE WALKING AWAY FROM GRAVE STONE SLOWLY, BUT WITH DETERMINATION.

FADE OUT TO BLACK

Why give you advice when we all can just chip in and finish the script together!

DRAGON BALL Z
Part 2

Written by
Canon
Shamrock7r

SCREEN FADES FROM BLACK INTO A FOREST (Caption at bottom (in comic sans font) reads: 20 YEARS LATER)

PAN OF FOREST LIFE AND ANIMALS RUNNING ACROSS SCREEN

ZOOM IN

A young male is seen in the distance standing on a cliffside, facing a rock on cliff.

FADE IN CLOSER

The rock is revealed to be a grave stone. Engraved in the stone it says, "Here lies Son Gohan, beloved father: Carpe Diem"

CUT TO VIEW OF YOUNG MALE: Face not revealed. You can only see his lower jaw. His teeth clentch, to show emotional pain, presumably over the death of Son Gohan. The young male is wearing faded brownish orange Gi, with multiple dirt stains and torn cloth.

ZOOM IN TO FIST CLENCHED..........................SHAKING
We hear the figure grunting, as if trying to say something

YOUNG MALE: You were like a father to me. You cared for me. You taught me how to fight. You tried to keep me safe. In the end.... it was I... who could not keep you safe. But I swear to the Gods, you will be avenged.

YOUNG MALE PLACES HAND ON GRAVE STONE.

PAN OUT TO YOUNG MALE WALKING AWAY FROM GRAVE STONE SLOWLY, BUT WITH DETERMINATION.

FADE OUT TO BLACK

tumblr_lr58sbjNOp1qkj27v.gif

Tzmhero

FADE IN

The Camera pans up to show a small hut, white in color, it is crudley built, but a home non-the less. Oddly, there is what appears to be words scribbled on one side, the red lettering contrasting the white boldly.

FADE IN CLOSER

The Words read 'Kame House',in what may be scribbled red spray paint, the lettering juvenile at best.

CAMERA SLOWLY PANS TO THE FRONT DOOR

A figure appears in the doorway, older in nature, and male. Holding a bad posture, hands held behind his back, all that can be seen are his lower body. Flip flops, shorts, and a Hawaiian themed T-shirt.

OLD MAN: It seems that he's leaving on his journey now... I just hope he knows what's ahead of him.

FADE OUT TO BLACK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom