• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any word on wreckless 2?

eso76

Been playing if at my friend's for half an hour or so.
I am one of the few wreckless supporter, but i have to say i am not too impressed with double steal 2.
While it does look good, i'll argue it's not better than the first; it obviously uses the same engine, with a few tweak here and there: there's a few more special effects here and there, but geometry wise it looks less detailed; Wreckless' hong kong was more interesting, and buildings had more carved 3d details in them, more polys or either polys used in more effective positions.

I also don't like the way physics work here: you can crash into buses and trucks, they'll fly in the air like there's no gravity as soon as you touch them and you'd just slightly slow down.

And trust me, will you be DISAPPOINTED when you see the water.
Of course you all remember wreckless' water.
Well, it's just a flat, dull texture now. Seriously. gone have all reflections and all those gorgeous glows where waves reflected the sun..

Replays are still amazing, and it's incredible the kind of filters the game can apply on them in real time.

.Abras.

pilonv1 said:
Yes, pretty much everything will cause some sort of collision.

There's a free drive mode before each mission, so I guess that's it. Haven't tried it yet but I will very soon.

Anyway this would have to be the best looking game I've played this generation. Looks better than quite a number of "next-gen" games we've seen from the 360. 720p is just incredible :)

:lol :lol :lol

Just played the game.
The graphics a lot worse than the first game. That's why it can do 720p now.

There isn't that fine glare effect and lighting and reflections from the first one.
They killed the water from the first.

And I don't know why, It didn't worked in 720p. (My TV is capable)
The game crashed 3 times while I were playing too, and I had to reset my Xbox.

The gameplay/sound/music is meh!

I took some pictures:
we6wf.jpg

we27fd.jpg

sangreal

MassiveAttack said:
It wasn't at E3 because it looks better than most of what was shown for X360 and might have confused Microsoft's PR just a bit.

The game looks like crap compared to every 360 racing game shown. Even Full Auto looks better.

DCharlie

Banned
ho ho

Is this the GAF "Super Review system"?

The game either SUCKS or it's AWESOME.
the gulf inbetween? it doesn't exist.

This game DOESN'T SUCK and it's NOT AWESOME. It's SUCSOME or AWESK.

Trash? fucking hell ....

well, at least this Double Steal thread hasn't decended into a discussion as to how the PS2 could easily do the game with the same graphics like last time. So i guess we should be thankful....

Kolgar

*Looks at the pics Abras posted*

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO MY BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL WATER???

*faints*

You mean the original Wreckless will STILL be damn near the best-looking game on Xbox?

:\

Sjoerd

Agent Icebeezy said:
Does it go to 1080i? If MX vs ATV can, I'm sure this should

Do you mean MX vs ATV is a good looking game??? Looks like first generation 3dfx graphics to me.

eso76

DCharlie said:
but with better graphics and controls that aren't like you are driving a spinning top on ice.

Except that it really does look worse than the first. Free roaming, a bigger city and 720p had an impact

043.jpg
046.jpg

122.jpg
075.jpg

150.jpg
070.jpg
121.jpg
118.jpg
141.jpg
011.jpg

There's a lot more flat surfaces in wreckless 2, streets aren't nearly as busy and the water effect...well, there's no water effect at all.
Didn't like the controls and the physics either.

DCharlie

Banned
well, IMO, the frame rate is a lot steadier which makes a big difference. The haze is toned way down which looks better - the second level seems to have way more traffic than i recall in the first one as well, but maybe i need to revist?

Everything looks sharper and cleaner.

As for controls, at least you can actually CONTROL the damned cars this time - i much prefer the gameplay in DS2 due to this fact on its own!

Physics is a bit sucky at times - glancing a bus shouldn't make it tip over - although having a chasing car land ontop of the buggy was pretty cool at the end of one of the chase missions.

eso76

DCharlie said:
Everything looks sharper and cleaner.

That's true, i believe i read somewhere that the first wreckless actually rendered internally at lower res (something lower than 640x480 i mean).
It's not that DS2 is anything short of gorgeous, but i was expecting something better after 3 years; the engine hasn't evolved much; it's higher res but uses less gemoetry, it has better lightning but lost some special effects, the city is bigger but textures are lower res...technically speaking, it's more or less the same.
One thing is true though; no one besides these guys and polyphony has been able to nail lightning and reflective metallic surfaces with such accuracy.

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm a bit confused - I thought I was the only one who didn't positively loathe Wreckless - where are all these people coming from who are looking forward to a sequel?

Kolgar

Wreckless was one of three games I bought with my Xbox (DOA and Halo were the others). I loved it, though it could be frustrating sometimes. I still think hold it up as one of the most gob-smacking graphical achievements ever, especially for the time.

I'd like to see the sequel come Stateside.

.hacked

Wow what a bunch of fifthly fucking pirates (save a few like DCharlie). All you people playing the game yet you can't tell me if it is region free or not?

I say ban the pirates.

bloke

Comparing the screenshots, second game does seem whole lot less detailed and not as colourful, or maybe HK is lot livelier city than Chicago is.
Maybe developers did mistake with making even bigger city stage than in first game, along with aiming for 720p, they obviously had to sacrifice things by going for low-poly models and low-res textures. Lightning still looks among the best on Xbox.
Oh well I'll get a game next week and see it for myself. Gameplay-wise it seems it's superior to first Wreckless, with better handling, less frustrated missions and free roaming. too bad about the lack of multiplayer.

eso76

.hacked said:
Wow what a bunch of fifthly fucking pirates (save a few like DCharlie). All you people playing the game yet you can't tell me if it is region free or not?

I say ban the pirates.

Well, i'll be honest.
I was offered the chance to take a peek at the game at a friend's and i couldn't refuse.
Like i said, i'm one of the few wreckless (and runabout series) supporters' and i am going to import a copy of DS2; in a week i'll be able to tell u if it's free region or not : )

Sjoerd

.hacked said:

I say ban the pirates.

Please don't talk about things like piracy, you could get banned!

.hacked

eso76 said:
Well, i'll be honest.
I was offered the chance to take a peek at the game at a friend's and i couldn't refuse.
Like i said, i'm one of the few wreckless (and runabout series) supporters' and i am going to import a copy of DS2; in a week i'll be able to tell u if it's free region or not : )

Let me know, if it is region free I'll import a copy too :D

demi

.hacked said:

I say ban the pirates.

Modded Xboxes are region-free anyway, so they couldn't tell you if they tried, unless they manually changed the region setting.

Why don't you just import and buy a japanese console anyway? Not like you need the money.

Top Bottom