• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anybody using Windows MCE?

MmmBeef

How well does it work with games? Is it based on XP Pro or Home (ie how does it handle HT or multicores)? I've been using 2000 for years now and pretty happy with it but I feel like it's time to update. Also, what the best bang for the buck tv tuner card?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's exactly the same as home, only with integrated TV tuner software and some DVD codecs.

Jesiatha

Schafer said:
It's exactly the same as home, only with integrated TV tuner software and some DVD codecs.

Actually this isn't true with MCE 2005. I believe it will use multiple cores now, but they left out a bunch of business stuff (like domain join).

As far as tuners, I use dual Hauppage 250MCEs, and am happy with them. Using the Xbox or Xbox 360 as an extender rocks - I have instant access to every recorded show in both my living room and my bedroom.

It is pretty much halfway between XP Home and Pro, and it'll game solidly. Just don't try to record a show while you're in the middle of a game.

Really a solid OS, I'm a huge fan.

MmmBeef

Thanks for the replies! So Jesiatha, why dual Hauppages? So you can record multiple shows simultaneously?

Hmmm. Interest seriously piqued.

Rhindle

Schafer said:
It's got a ton more stuff than that. But yes, it is based mostly on XP Home edition.

It's a very slick package, if you're upgrading go with MCE.

Jesiatha

MmmBeef said:
Thanks for the replies! So Jesiatha, why dual Hauppages? So you can record multiple shows simultaneously?

Hmmm. Interest seriously piqued.

Yes. With dual tuners you can record two shows and at the same time watch another recorded show or one of the two that is recording.

I have one tuner and I'm able to watch one thing and record another. I may be able to record two at once, though I've never tried.

Jesiatha

Lazy vs Crazy said:
I have one tuner and I'm able to watch one thing and record another. I may be able to record two at once, though I've never tried.

No, you won't be able to. You can always watch whatever you want. If you have one tuner you can record one thing at a time. Two tuners can record two at a time. Unfortunately they don't support more than two standard def tuners :(.

Top Bottom