• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you have a VR headset? Will you ever buy one?

Do you have a VR headset?

• Total voters

SiahWester

Okay, GAF. I'm curious how people on here feel about VR. There's a semi active thread for the Quest, but I want to see how the rest of the forum feels about VR.

Do you have a VR headset? When did you get into VR? How frequently do you use your headset and what do you play or do in it? If you don't have a VR headset, why not?

-----

I've been gaming in VR since 2016 with the Gear VR. I've only owned Oculus/Meta headsets. I've also owned the Rift S, Quest 2, and now Quest 3 headsets. They've just always offered the best bang for the buck and have a better ecosystem. I know other headsets have their pros as well. I'm not at all a fanboy.

I lost interest in VR after the first year with the Quest 2. It just collected dust. Didn't like feeling closed in and the blurriness of visuals. The experience was simply uncomfortable and the software launches started to slow down. I got the Quest 3 at launch about six months ago. After many QA issues, I finally got a good headset. I thought of it as a decent upgrade from the Quest 2, but lately it's starting to feel so much more fleshed out.

I think the average Quest user has no idea of the capabilities of this thing. If you can tinker then there's endless use cases for the Quest 3. The resolution and clarity is amazing. You can see pixels if you really look, but 99% of the time it doesn't register in my brain. It's so good I prefer to use it to play flat games now. Using virtual desktop with WiFi 6 I can play games wirelessly with almost no latency in an imax or I can have a massive screen projected in my room right on the ceiling while laying down.

You can install any android app and use them in mixed reality on a huge screen, play 3ds games in 3D, (or other games with some trickery), and watch 3D movies. There is an endless stream of indie content to sideload. There's a bunch of educational apps that utilize mixed reality such as pianovision (its kind of like guitar hero), drawing apps, apps that help you learn other languages, etc. There's a good amount of apps that utilize mixed reality now. They have this one where you control little RC cars in your home across obstacle courses. There are zombie shooters where zombies climb through your actual windows, sword fighting, boxing, city sims, puzzle perspective games, etc.

There's was a massive unreal engine mod that dropped recently that allows you to play unreal engine games in VR now. There have also been huge investments to turn many flat games into VR games. We're going to see many more classic games where you can sit on your butt and just enjoy yourself as you would with traditional flat games. VR use to cater heavily to games where you have to stand but I'm seeing more and more experiences that let you chill out. You still have your exercise apps but its good to see a healthy amount of experiences where you can sit now.

Meta's metaverse (Horizon Worlds) is finally shaping up. You can build your own worlds and play in others. Theres new content every time I log in. Theres also Meta TV which is so much better than in the Quest 2 days. The 360 videos listed are high resolution. The coolest ones are the animated videos. They take you to some crazy places.

I could go on forever. I mean, the regular VR content is also amazing and continues to grow. I think VR is finally where it should be. If you're getting in now you will probably feel overwhelmed but in a good way. Meta has a great ecosystem but it won't be long till what they have built will be matched in one way or another across other headsets. I just needed to gush a little. If you can afford it I would recommended a headset more than ever before. So many uses cases, tons of content to explore, and it's genuinely comfortable now (Quest 3 is at least with some accessories)!

Last edited:

ssringo

I have a Quest 2 and PSVR2.

Q2 was a RE4VR machine but that's about it. Felt uncomfortable to wear in general but it was my first VR experience so there's a decent chance the problem was me. Using for PC VR was not a good experience due to afformentioned issue and my aging PC (at the time).

PSVR2 is a RE4RVR machine with a dabble into a few other games. Mostly sits in a box waiting for PC support.

Considering a Quest 3 as I've heard it's more comfortable and the PC support is great.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I have a Quest 2. I do like it a lot, great system. The main thing that keeps me from using it frequently is still motion sickness. It's pretty great in small sessions, 30 minutes or less. But I never felt comfortable playing through all of RE4 on it. Feels like something I would play at the arcade in the 80s, and that's mostly how I treat it. Best for short arcade style gaming sessions.

If I ever jump to PC, I'll use it to try Alyx out.

StereoVsn

I have OG launch consumer Rift. Mainly used it for racing / flight games as the cameras were too annoying to deal with otherwise.

However I haven’t used it for years after Bethesda games and some racers. And it’s not worth upgrading because either prices are too high for what it is (Index) or you have to go to some random Chinese company or Meta.

Hoppa

PSVR2 somewhere in a box, fun when it’s out and ready to go but I just can’t be bothered with it. Probably will not be buying another vr machine

Rockondevil

I don’t and won’t. I’m honestly surprised by the poll being so many yes votes as I don’t know a single person with a headset.

nush

I have a toddler and even when he's asleep I can't be completely absent and ignore the outside world entirely.

That's what stopped me using my OG PSVR, I had a dog (After I brought the PSVR) and I didn't want it walking through the wires pulling the PS4 off the shelf. Or just ignoring her if she wanted some attention.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I have VR, I love the idea of VR and am a big supporter. However, the tech is far from what it needs to be to for me to get excited over it. I’ll check back in 5 years and see if we finally have 140+ degrees FOV, 240Hz refresh in a light (sub 200grams) form factor. I doubt it.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I own a Quest 2. I occasionally open it to play Pistol Whip, Eleven Table Tennis, and Synth Riders (which I find better than Beat Saber), and I have a blast. My daughter and mother love watching 360-degree videos on it. I'm just a bit lazy to use it more often due to the hassle of setting it up. Using the Steam VR application within Quest has made it more convenient. I'll definitely get the new version when it's lighter and has longer battery life. It's a fun toy to have around.

Markio128

I love my PSVR2 but I can hardly ever use it right now. I have a toddler and even when he's asleep I can't be completely absent and ignore the outside world entirely.
So I mainly just use it on the rare opportunities where the wife takes the kid somewhere without me.
I’m in a similar boat atm, if you swap toddler for a pup. I do have a daughter, and trust me, she was easier to raise than this four legged nightmare. She never took a shit on the living room floor or tried to bite my nuts.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Im checking into the tech every few years but always walk away underwhelmed.
I think we're still faaar away from VR being a mature and potent enough tech to become mainstream in the private sector.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I've had such an awesome time with my Q3. It does not supplant flat gaming, but fills its own niche. I have owned a Quest since the launch of the OG unit, so I have amassed a library of nearly 60 games and there is a ton of variety.

I tend to gravitate towards games that lean into the physicality aspect of VR, and because most of my VR sessions end with me having a good sweat, it gives me sense of accomplishment. Games like Nock have you performing awesome physical feats (virtually at least), that up until recently, could only be experienced in ones dreams. Underdog is a first person arena fighter which will have you going HARD in order to survive. These games will kick your ass, in a good way.

Conversely, games like puzzle pieces, fishing, tower defense, VR D&D board games (Demeo), can transport you to a new world to relax in. I used to quite literally dream of VR being this good, and while I want it to continue to improve, I am really happy with what we have now.

P.S. if you are looking for software discounts (yes it also benefits me), I have a linktree with 25% discount coeds for every game I own. www.linktr.ee/markgulfcoast

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

VR furreveeeeeer.
200.gif

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, have a Valve Index I barely use. It's not that I don't like it (quite the opposite in fact) but more like I have so many stuff to play on other platforms that I barely even consider picking it up.

Had a lot of fun playing HL: Alyx, Pavlov, Beat Saber, Pistol Whip and some others. Overcoming my motion sickness by playing Wolfenstein 3D in VR and killing nazis while running at 60mph/h was something else too.

Thaedolus

I’ve got an Index, and I actually just busted it out for the first time in a while yesterday for some Tetris Effect, Alyx and Super Hot. It’s still fun as hell when there’s good software. Also I upgraded my computer since I got it so games like Alyx can run maxxed out and look awesome.

I’ve had Moss in my backlog for a long time, I’m thinking I should give it a go soon. But one thing about VR is it’s a single player experience for the most part, so when I have time to game and my kid wants to play too, I’m likely pulling up something on Switch for us

Last edited:

Mitsurux

Have a Quest2 it is rarely used, have a decent amount of games on it. When it does get used its mainly when people come over and have never experienced VR before. Stream it to the TV so everyone can see, and people pass it around for a bit.... mostly ends up people playing the hacked version of Beat Sabre I have on it.

Bond007

Own Quest 2 and PSVR2
Previously sold PSVR.

Dont get used often, but i enjoy having them for guests to experience or for the occasional game i want to try out. Basically, i like knowing its available.
Wish i used it more often.

AJUMP23

I do not have one, and I wanted to buy one when I first used it at a friends house. But I have not bought one due to it still being niche. I do want to play the HL game.

FunkMiller

I own a Quest 2. Barely touch it. Just sold my PSVR2.

It’s insane and pathetic that Alyx is still the benchmark - four fucking years after it came out.

VR is horribly underdeveloped and underserved. Games like Alyx can exist - but nobody wants to make them.

Last edited:
What kind of games do you like?
That's the point, it has to be a game conceived as a VR experience, not as a VR port of an existing game. It's like they invented motion pictures, and then just film a whole stage play and put it on the screen, that's not going to get me to watch a movie. I don't know how that's going to work, but I'll know when I see it.

bender

What time is it?
I had a PSVR and experiencing Rez, Tetris Effect and Polybius was neat but for as comfortable as PSVR was made out to be, I found it cumbersome which goes against why I play games in the first place. I can't imagine wanting to do long gaming sessions with any headset. I largely had the same complain with motion controls.

I'm one of the 20% or so that can't do VR--whenever I do, I get carsick and throw up. Tried it with all of them but OC3, and it's been the same story. I may get one down the road if there's a way I can wear corrective lenses or something (that isn't Dramamine) to help me not get motion sickness.

I'm also one of those assholes that can't see the 3D magic picture things, so this pretty much tracks.

And yes, I know it's a schooner.

And yes, I also know a schooner is a sailboat, stupidhead. Still can't see it.

Last edited:
I own a PSVR2 I use on my PS5 and a Quest 2 that I use on my PC daily.

I absolutely love VR gaming, and VR has given me some of my best gaming experiences in the last 8 years or so.

I'd be very bored without VR gaming as for me regular flat-screen has been getting stale. I'm a huge fan of flight/space sims and racing sims so VR gives me the next level of immersion I crave that flatscreen gaming isn't quite delivering.

Last edited:

Quantum253

I own a PSVR2 I use on my PS5 and a Quest 2 that I use on my PC daily.

I absolutely love VR gaming, and VR has given me some of my best gaming experiences in the last 8 years or so.

I'd be very bored without VR gaming as for me regular flat-screen has been getting stale. I'm a huge fan of flight/space sims and racing sims so VR gives me the next level of immersion I crave that flatscreen gaming isn't quite delivering.
I've had my PSVR in the closet for a couple of years now. I kind of want to get it out and try out No Man's Sky in VR (I love space sims, too). However, I don't know if it's worth the hassle of setting it up and breaking it down for a short gaming session.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Just bought a Quest 3 about a week ago to use primarily for PCVR.

Blown away. Truly incredible experiences.

I'm not sure I'm sold that it'll ever be mainstream though. Too many hurdles to get there. But I'm having a blast with it.

Pelao

I use my PSVR2 every Friday when Gran Turismo 7 updates its weekly challenges. Other than that I use it a couple of times during the week to play some rhythm games or if I'm playing some other stuff. For example I am currently playing through Arizona Sunshine 2.

SiahWester

That's the point, it has to be a game conceived as a VR experience, not as a VR port of an existing game. It's like they invented motion pictures, and then just film a whole stage play and put it on the screen, that's not going to get me to watch a movie. I don't know how that's going to work, but I'll know when I see it.

There are more fleshed out VR games than people realize. Genuinely countless VR games built from the ground up for VR now. It's a different space than it was a few years ago. What is your favorite genre?

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gave up on VR after the Rift S. Can't relax with that thing on my head. Gonna try to get back into stereoscopic 3D gaming though. Of the VR games I've played playing Fallout 4 was the most impressive.

Top Bottom