• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you have a VR headset? Will you ever buy one?

Do you have a VR headset?

• Total voters
Got the index in 2021 but due to life stuff it's been stuck in the box it arrived in. Used it a bit but I really need to invest in my system. CPU upgrade and a standing desk with wheels so I can just move my PC to the larger room to actually utilize the VR and the space I have.

FunkMiller

If you think of it as a replacement of general gaming, I agree. But for those of us into flight simulation and racing, proper VR adds an almost priceless value.

Don't get me wrong, I ploughed over 150 hours into GT7 VR. It was incredible.

But then... that was it.

There's just zero depth in the VR games market right now. Once in a blue moon you'll get a game that you can really get your teeth into in a meaningful way, the same way you would a flatscreen game... and then that's it. Nothing but more fucking shooty bang bang and Beat Saber rip offs.

Certainly not enough for me to justify the continued ownership of a headset like the PSVR2.

I'll keep hold of my Quest 2 in case of some more great mod work (like HL2) but I'm not investing in another VR headset again until I see a much deeper selection of full length, immersive and worthwhile games.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

No and no. I thought about PSVR1 a few years ago, but I assumed I would quickly get bored with it (or annyoyed with the image quality). Plus I generally don't like gimmicks or new/different technologies and it's the reason why I usually turn off haptics or don't use gyro controls.

GymWolf

I have an oculus rift and a quest 1, i don't really use them anymore, too bulky and heavy for prolonged sessions and in wireless they are too underpowered.

I'm gonna wait until there is a MAJOR upgrade in shape and power before buying another one, i don't wanna worry about cables to have decent graphic or my head sweating after 15 min with the lens getting all misted, all of that kill any immersion so until they make these things as big as a pair of bulky glasses, it's a no go for me.

So probably another 10 to 15 years before i buy another one.

Perrott

Gold Member
The PlayStation VR CUH-ZVR2 that I bought some days ago has literally just arrived.

DriveClub VR is awesome, just as the Star Wars Battlefront X-Wing VR Mission and Resident Evil 7.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m considering a Quest 2 this summer. I have an old Rift, but I don’t feel like setting it up since relocating my PC setup.
I love the idea of a single cable hooked to my PC or just going wireless. GameStop’s selling the 128GB model for $199, so I’m hoping that becomes the new price.

Quest 3 looks great, but I don’t feel like dropping $500 on something I know won’t get as much use.

On the flip side I might just get something I want for my grill instead.

KXVXII9X

I have a Quest 2. I do like it a lot, great system. The main thing that keeps me from using it frequently is still motion sickness. It's pretty great in small sessions, 30 minutes or less. But I never felt comfortable playing through all of RE4 on it. Feels like something I would play at the arcade in the 80s, and that's mostly how I treat it. Best for short arcade style gaming sessions.

If I ever jump to PC, I'll use it to try Alyx out.
That's mostly how I feel about my Quest 3 which isn't a bad thing. I realized I cannot play long sessions but do have a lot of fun with it in short bursts. I also like using it for media viewing.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Somewhere between the first two. I have a VR headset, and I sometimes use it regularly when there's something new I want to play but otherwise it just gets used occasionally or when my kid wants to play Job Simulator.

I love VR, and I'm still a big believer in the medium, but there's a definite content problem. Without people willing to lose money to put killer content out regularly, it has trouble reaching escape velocity.

I have Quest 3 and use it regularly. I think everyone should find games that they like. I play Ultrawings 1/2 and nothing non-VR can replace that. Now playing Outer Wilds with VR mod and it's perfect. Not to say that this game is genius.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I got a PSVR, sold it after a few weeks. Figured I’d give it another shot with PSVR2, I returned that after 2 days.

I thought Gran Turismo would be the killer app but I hated it. I thought it’d be really useful if you could quickly glance at something in your periphery (out the side window or down at your instrument panel) but it wasn’t like that. You have to orient your head and neck pretty close to what you’re trying to focus on, it feels nothing like real life and it’s annoying as hell.

No thanks, I’m perfectly happy sitting on my ass looking at a screen. That’s way better than strapping a headset on your face, cutting yourself off from the outside world and pantomiming your avatar’s actions.

I remain convinced that VR is mainly for short, novelty arcade-like experiences. It’s not something I want to spend any significant amount of time with.

Schmendrick

What do you think would excite you?
- Much smaller form and weight factor (wireless ofc).
- 100% jitter free perfect tracking down to single finger limbs..
- A different solution for the movement as warping feels strange and analog-stick walking can be downright nauseating.
- Software maturity.

Right now everything I try in VR has that janky prototypey feeling to it in both hardware and software.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

Both a CV1 and recently a Quest 3. Both were gifted to me. From an ergonomics and quality stand point it's been a huge jump. My biggest issue is I don't have tons of room in my area for more interactive games. I've had a blast with both but tend to spend more time gaming at my PC.

SiahWester

- A different solution for the movement as warping feels strange and analog-stick walking can be downright nauseating.
- Software maturity.

Right now everything I try in VR has that janky prototypey feeling to it in both hardware and software.

-Have you seen the big screen glasses? Haven't tried it, but to see a form factor like that is exciting. I can only speak on the Quest which is very comfortable with some accessories. I use the original fabric strap with a rubber accessory that cups the back of my head so there's very little weight and everything feels balanced. The facial interface I use is super soft as well. The wireless capabilities are incredible on Quest. I use my PC a lot of the time and there's no lag whatsoever using just WiFi 6.

-Again, can only speak on the Quest. The hand tracking is pretty impressive. They recently added AI legs as the system can't actually track that with inside out tracking. I always personally felt the bay stations were unreasonable as they're pricey and inhibit your ability to move to different areas. I'm sure the day will come where we have convenient full body tracking. Maybe it will come in the form of a haptic suit.

-They have VR treadmills that work well, but they're pricey and heavy. I'm sure that will change sooner than later.

-I would strongly argue that VR has software maturity both from stand alone VR experiences and user mods. You can play unreal engine game in 3rd or 1st perspective in VR now. If someone is getting into VR for the first time they'd be completely overwhelmed with quality experiences.

Last edited:

raduque

I have a Quest 2, but I got it from my work. Christmas gifts.

I was skeptical about VR for a long time, till I got a GearVR with my Galaxy S7e.

I use it kinda often, but not too often. maybe 2-3 times a week.

GymWolf

- Software maturity.

There is already a better option for movements, the one where you simulate running with your arm so the controls go up and down, it sound silly but the brain get tricked and you don't feel like you are about to vomit.

Many games already use this type of movement but i can't remember which one except for gorn.

The downside is that you can't really aim or use your sword while running so you have to stop before doing anything else.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
matrix-neo.gif

This is how I feel when I use the PS VR and PS VR 2, with all the cables around me.

Wonko_C

I don't have a VR headset.
I find the tech interesting and the few times I've used one of the more decent headsets I thought the experience was pretty cool.
But it's just too expensive for something I don't see myself using very frequently. If I'm going to spend $500 on entertainment hardware I'd rather put it towards an eventual Switch 2, or a Steam Deck, or building a PC.
Finally a rational comment about why some people don't invest into VR. Most dismiss it as a gimmick without even trying it beforehand.

Until they get them down to the size of a regular pair of sunglasses (with no wires, no external battery, etc.) then I do not even want to try them. I hated 3D TVs simply because I could not standing having to wear electronic glasses to watch TV. VR is same thing, but much worse. The only reason I would try it if they got them down to regular sunglasses size would be for novelty and nothing else. It would be really neat to watch Netflix on a 200 inch screen right in front of me "virtually." Then there is the fact that I think people look ridiculous playing VR, mostly adult men who still live with their mom and have totally failed to launch. Yeah. . . . I don't want anything to do with that.
The last paragraph sounds exactly like what our parents used to say about videogames when we were younger... And some still do to this day.

Zero interest given what I see now with games and apps, only way I'd try it is if I got one for free to dabble with, or a next gen console had a mandatory VR set packed in so you got no choice but to get it.

But down the line, if the VR sets get higher quality, cheap ($100), and you can watch tons of live sports VR style where I can pick the game I want with view options, I'd consider it. Last time i read about it, NBA VR is shit quality and only for certain games. And it's only for meta sets for US users.. And NHL has no VR viewing option.

It would be awesome to test it out and pay $10 to watch a live feed playoff game from any rink.
$100??? Not even a halfway decent TV can be purchased for that price. And headsets have more tech crammed into them, plus controllers. Even some traditional console game controllers are pricier than that.

I'm not interested in VR at all and think it's a fad like 3D which slowly dies and than comes back a couple of decades later, rinse and repeat.
Tell me you've never played VR without telling me you've never played VR.

Last edited:

Euler007

Maxed out in my time budget, can't take another platform on. Takes me 2-6 months to finish the big PS games coming out.

I have the PSVR2 and have got my moneys worth already. I use it close to daily depending on the time I have. Resident Evil 8 is my favourite piece of software this gen. GT7 and Red Matter 2 are very close.

Interesting. Does this motion sickness occur from moving?

Nope. Only when the images in the headset move--if I were to look at something static, no problem. But if the images move, and regardless if I'm moving or standing still, I get this weird nausea. I say 'carsick' because that's what it's very similar to, and it makes me want to hurl/gives me headaches. I can take Dramamine but it really only takes the nausea away--still have headaches, like my eyes are having to work too hard to focus on the images or something.

I mean, from looking at most of the posts, it's saving me $$ that would be better spent updating my PC rig, putting kids through school, etc. But it would be nice to try it out for longer than a min or two before having to rip them off.

Again, I can't see Magic Eye images either (big in the 90s and 00s) so I'm just f****d I guess.

nick776

Finally a rational comment about why some people don't invest into VR. Most dismiss it as a gimmick without even trying it beforehand.

The last paragraph sounds exactly like what our parents used to say about videogames when we were younger... And some still do to this day.

$100??? Not even a halfway decent TV can be purchased for that price. And headsets have more tech crammed into them, plus controllers. Even some traditional console game controllers are pricier than that.

Tell me you've never played VR without telling me you've never played VR.T

Tell me you've never played VR without telling me you've never played VR.
Touche, it sure does. However, I just have no interest in strapping something to my head. I played VR in arcades in the 90s and, although those headsets were much larger, they are still basically the same size today. No, thank you. I think that is the main reason VR hasn't taken off. It is doomed to the same fate as 3D TVs. Virtual Boy failed in part for the same reason I believe.

Wonko_C

A little bit off-tangent here, but I found this video interesting, as this guy claims to "hate" VR but was blown away after being demoed an upcoming Yugioh VR game. I guess for some it needs the right software to get them onboard.

MarkMe2525

I’m considering a Quest 2 this summer. I have an old Rift, but I don’t feel like setting it up since relocating my PC setup.
I love the idea of a single cable hooked to my PC or just going wireless. GameStop’s selling the 128GB model for $199, so I’m hoping that becomes the new price.

Quest 3 looks great, but I don’t feel like dropping $500 on something I know won’t get as much use.

On the flip side I might just get something I want for my grill instead.
Hold out, we know Meta is working on a cheaper Q3 model. Even if you're just streaming from PC, it would be best not to get stuck with a 2020 SoC. Beyond the faster chip, Virtual Desktop takes advantage of upper body tracking that simulates Vive trackers for more accurate arm and torso positioning, as well as better streaming codec compatibility.

Last edited:
Touche, it sure does. However, I just have no interest in strapping something to my head. I played VR in arcades in the 90s and, although those headsets were much larger, they are still basically the same size today. No, thank you. I think that is the main reason VR hasn't taken off. It is doomed to the same fate as 3D TVs. Virtual Boy failed in part for the same reason I believe.
Same tale from you every time.
3D and VR has 'failed' not because it's concept is wrong - it's because it came way sooner than tech was capable. It's like strapping two gramophones on your head and saying it's a headphones, then compare it to contemporary solutions. VR is very native to us (same as headphones) because you have two eyes and stereoscopic vision.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Lol, virtual boy failed for a myriad of reasons. The comparison to modern VR is misguided at best.

"Even though VR headsets in the 90's were MUCH larger, they are still basically the same size today." What are you even saying, as you contridict yourself within the same sentence. This is entirely dishonest, the Quest 3 is probably 1/6 of the size and 1/10 the mass of those arcade VR machines.

You can not be into VR, as to each their own, but your arguments as to why VR will fail are completely off the mark and nonsensical.

Edit: This is the VR setup we had in our mall in the mid 90's. Thing was huuuggge.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Hold out, we know Meta is working on a cheaper Q3 model. Even if you're just streaming from PC, it would be best not to get stuck with a 2020 SoC. Beyond the faster chip, Virtual Desktop takes advantage of upper body tracking that simulates Vive trackers for more accurate arm and torso positioning, as well as better streaming codec compatibility.

Thanks for the heads up!

nemiroff

Gold Member
Until they get them down to the size of a regular pair of sunglasses (with no wires, no external battery, etc.) then I do not even want to try them. I hated 3D TVs simply because I could not standing having to wear electronic glasses to watch TV. VR is same thing, but much worse. The only reason I would try it if they got them down to regular sunglasses size would be for novelty and nothing else. It would be really neat to watch Netflix on a 200 inch screen right in front of me "virtually." Then there is the fact that I think people look ridiculous playing VR, mostly adult men who still live with their mom and have totally failed to launch. Yeah. . . . I don't want anything to do with that.

mister rogers middle finger GIF

Lol, virtual boy failed for a myriad of reasons. The comparison to modern VR is misguided at best.

"Even though VR headsets in the 90's were MUCH larger, they are still basically the same size today." What are you even saying, as you contridict yourself within the same sentence. This is entirely dishonest, the Quest 3 is probably 1/6 of the size and 1/10 the mass of those arcade VR machines.

You can not be into VR, as to each their own, but your arguments as to why VR will fail are completely off the mark and nonsensical.

Edit: This is the VR setup we had in our mall in the mid 90's. Thing was huuuggge.

You are right, and he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. The Virtual Boy wasn't even a VR headset by any stretch of the imagination.

90's "VR" was also VR mostly in name. It was promoted that way because it sounded cool and looked futuristic. But they didn't even have 6DOF tracking back then (never mind sub-mm tracking..), only 3DOF. And what about framerates, perhaps all the way down to, idk, ~5 fps.. If I cared enough I would make a list long AF as to other reasons why VR is something utterly different today than it was (again; it really wasn't) back then.

And, I'll just post this one again of John Carmack wearing the Bigscreen Beyond that started shipping last year (AFAIK).

kvsNTiv.png

This is the result of micro-OLED and pancake lenses. And it's still just the beginning.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I don't really see the point. The only people who seem to get value from them are using them for fitness (would rather hike in nature), or are using them for VR Chat (I hate people).

bumpkin

I have PSVR2 and played it quite regularly at first. I always go back to it any time a game that interests me is released. I’ve been engrossed in some “flat” games the last month so I haven’t used it lately, but it’s still on my mind. I have a play-through of RE4 to finish and still enjoy playing a few rounds of Walkabout any time I pick it up. I also have several games I’m waiting for good sales on before I buy.

I do wish there was more first and second party games available for it. Sony’s IP library is so strong and would make for great and compelling content… if they would only make some.

MarkMe2525

It's fine for some sessions in between but it's not ready to replace regular gaming yet.
I don't think the point is to "replace regular gaming", much like we don't perceive our music collection as an attempt to replace the "experience" of a live concert. Maybe this a poor analogy, but my point is that VR provides a different way to experience traditional and interactive content. In saying that, we are at the infancy of the technology, and to make any definitive statements of VR's role in our future is premature.

Esppiral

Psvr with a bunch of games It IS great specially astro bot ( BEST VR Game) but the investment IS to high to justify buying another one.

Filldo

I have PSVR2 and Quest 2.

Aside from BG3, the best games of 2023 were easily PSVR 2 games.

I hear so many people talking about "missing the magic" in gaming this generation and I honestly can't relate.

Some of the VR games I expierenced in 2023 are legendary.

GT7, Resident Evil games, Pavlov (TTT) and Red Matter 2 (mainly) are all surreal expierences and I'll literally never forget my time with them.

But I get it.... VR is expensive, it's different and it requires effort to learn how to use it properly to get the most out of it, so I understand the resistance from the gaming community regarding it.

Man, I bought the PSVR2 last July and had one of the best gaming years of my life and I'm 45 and a life long gamer. Love that headset and love the gaming experiences I've had so far.

Red Matter 2 was incredible. GT7 and Resident Evil games were all gorgeous. Synapse has been one of my favorite experiences, just an amazing power fantasy. I really look forward to playing whatever that company comes up with next. Currenly playing a lot of CyubeVR and enjoying the chill vibe. Hands down my favorite game though is a game I never thought I would get into, Synthriders. Holy shit what an absolute blast and a great party game.

Danknugz

i've got rift CV1 and an index, CV1 i used for hundred of hours but the index is still in the box, i totally would be using it if i had more time and space though

nick776

mister rogers middle finger GIF

You are right, and he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. The Virtual Boy wasn't even a VR headset by any stretch of the imagination.

90's "VR" was also VR mostly in name. It was promoted that way because it sounded cool and looked futuristic. But they didn't even have 6DOF tracking back then (never mind sub-mm tracking..), only 3DOF. And what about framerates, perhaps all the way down to, idk, ~5 fps.. If I cared enough I would make a list long AF as to other reasons why VR is something utterly different today than it was (again; it really wasn't) back then.

And, I'll just post this one again of John Carmack wearing the Bigscreen Beyond that started shipping last year (AFAIK).

kvsNTiv.png

This is the result of micro-OLED and pancake lenses. And it's still just the beginning.
Why on earth do people get so bent out of shape about stuff on this forum? My OPINION is that VR is TERRIBLE, that same sentiment is shared by many other people in America also. VR is a very niche product and is one that will not take off, likely ever, sufficiently to elevate it beyond niche product.

I’m surprised no one is mentioning VR adult videos. That is the number one reason to own a Quest IMO. It’s game changing, and almost impossible to go back to 2D after. I use my Quest 3 almost every day, and it’s not for games lol.

I enjoy it much more than my Quest 2 for games, and it’s definitely immersive playing the best games out there. But for me, FOV is by far the biggest area to improve. It needs to be that I can’t see ANY borders to reach the full level of immersion. And number two would be smaller form factor. Number 3 is OLED screen or other kind of screen tech to make the colors much more natural and lifelike.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I’d say no and no. But ever is a bit extreme, my kid(s) might get into VR for all I know and in that case I’d be happy to jump in.

Personally I just see it as a fun side activity at rare occasions. Like going to the arcade or something like that. I’m happy to play it for a while, but I don’t really want it at home.

Mortisfacio

My daughter has a Quest 2 and mostly just collects dust. Played VR Hands on Roblox for a bit and Beatsaber, but didn't enjoy much else.

MScarpa

Have PSVR2 and Meta 3 and Meta 3 is so far along then my PSVR2 is. Makes me sad for my useless VR2. Unfortunately I rarely use either. Except for tonight where I might watch UDC 300 on my Meta 3

Codes 208

I have an Oculus 2 that I sometimes use to play Blade and Sorcery

I have no intentions to buy either a psvr2 or the apple vision

Top Bottom