• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else believe Switch sequel not coming for a LONG time?

Robb

Gold Member
That quote doesn’t contradict anything though. Switch could keep on going several years post their next-gen system.

Switch software sales are slowing down, they’re going to want to release something new sooner rather than later. I would be very surprised if we hear nothing about their next-gen system in 2024.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
People have been telling me a Switch successor is coming "any day now" for about 3 years. At this point it's probably not that far off but I'm still saying early 2025. They'll milk the fuck out of TOTK for another year, add a DLC, and I'd bet Metroid Prime 4 is the Switch's swan song. Still also have Pikmin 4 to come.

Launch a new system with Mario Kart 9 or a new 3D Mario and watch it fall off the shelves.

KXVXII9X

I think it may be 2025 or later. I think it would be best for everyone if they did wait it off some. They can wait until the tech advances so they can have something close to the Steam Deck and Asus ROG Ally in a slightly smaller form factor and better battery life by underclocking like they did with the Switch. They could also build on the concept and add enough new features so it isn't simply a more powerful Switch.

I wouldn't mind Nintendo slowing down and building up games for their next console. I'm afraid people will see it as a negative for Nintendo, but I think it is crucial for them to get the next console right. The Switch is such a high bar to surpass.

Kilau

It’s like the new 1-2 Switch game. It’s been ready in shipping containers for 2 years now but fuckers keep buying old Switch so they hold off.

MagnesD3

I think we won't get a new console until at least that 3d Donkey Kong Game (if real) and Metroid Prime 4 come out. And honestly I could even see a huge 3d mario release finishing the consoles life span if it's not already being designed for thier new console.

My guess is Switch 2 won't be shown until 2025.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Agreed, though I wouldn't be surprised with a January or February announcement either.
True, although I would think they wouldn't want that impact in the quarter sales. That said, could certainly go either way.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to postpone reveal to Fall and release in say Feb/March 2025 either.

darrylgorn

It really depends on how many ideas Nintendo can pump out and beyond Zelda, I'm not sure what games are next.

The system still sells like bonkers though, so I wouldn't imagine any new console until we see a predictable decline tail in sales or an unexpected drop off.

You also have to factor in the time between the announcement and launch. I may be wrong on this but don't they usually announce at least one year before?

Taking all that into account, seems like we're at least 2 years before the next console.

Woopah

True, although I would think they wouldn't want that impact in the quarter sales. That said, could certainly go either way.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to postpone reveal to Fall and release in say Feb/March 2025 either.
2025 is too late in my book, hardware and software sales are going in the wrong direction and they can't let that happen for too long.

People have been telling me a Switch successor is coming "any day now" for about 3 years. At this point it's probably not that far off but I'm still saying early 2025. They'll milk the fuck out of TOTK for another year, add a DLC, and I'd bet Metroid Prime 4 is the Switch's swan song. Still also have Pikmin 4 to come.

Launch a new system with Mario Kart 9 or a new 3D Mario and watch it fall off the shelves.

Metroid Prime 4 would be the perfect game to pair with a Mario Kart 9 or 3D Mario for the Switch 2 launch. It’s the type of game to attract core gamers and showcase hardware capabilities.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Metroid Prime 4 would be the perfect game to pair with a Mario Kart 9 or 3D Mario for the Switch 2 launch. It’s the type of game to attract core gamers and showcase hardware capabilities.

It'll be a Switch game, it's been advertised as such for so long at this point. Even BOTW launched on WiiU.

Not to say the successor won't be BC anyway though.

Every year you hear fake rumours a new Switch is coming but it never happens Nintendos said Switch 2 was only halfways through its living cycle LAST YEAR shouldn't we listen to them?
Well, they could still release the Switch 2 and have continued expectations of Switch having a life cycle for 2-3 more years, so I don't think that comment in particular rules it out. I think we will see something next year or 25 at the absolute latest personally.

Knightime_X

Doesn't sony do the same?
Say it's half over but brings out a new console then phases out the old a few years later.

When a company says something like that, they're including production.
Nintendo isn't going to stop making switch 1 THEN announce switch 2.

Nintendo is known to be consistent with life cycles.
For all we know switch could live for another 4 years, doesn't mean we won't see a new console until then.

Console life cycles always overlap.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I can't see them releasing any more 1st party heavy hitters when they could save them for new hardware. I think they have a year left at most to coast on if they start the hype train for the new system within a couple of months. We know 3rd party will not carry the system in the wake of lack of 1st party support for too long a time.

I mean there's not much reason for them to, they're still able to make great games with it, and it's absurdly popular, and most of their audience aren't the type that need some super powerful console to be happy. Also part of me hopes they stick with it for longer too, as knowing Nintendo the next one probably won't be backwards compatible

Woopah

I can't see them releasing any more 1st party heavy hitters when they could save them for new hardware. I think they have a year left at most to coast on if they start the hype train for the new system within a couple of months. We know 3rd party will not carry the system in the wake of lack of 1st party support for too long a time.
How would you define a heavy hitter in this particular context?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Happy with the switch I think the switch 2 talk is weird, normally generations last 10 years.

Woopah

I mean there's not much reason for them to, they're still able to make great games with it, and it's absurdly popular, and most of their audience aren't the type that need some super powerful console to be happy. Also part of me hopes they stick with it for longer too, as knowing Nintendo the next one probably won't be backwards compatible
Nintendo has a pretty good track record of doing backwards compatability no?
Happy with the switch I think the switch 2 talk is weird, normally generations last 10 years.
What was the last platform that went 10 years without a successor? The Gameboy?

I am going to be so sad if it's not. I think it would be a big miss of so.

MrA

Nintendo tends to keep successful hardware on shelves for 3 or 4 years after its successor if the hardware and makengamesnfor a year or 2
Nes was supported with games for 3 years after the snes and hardware sold until 95
Gameboy we all know how nuts its life was
Snes had major games in 97 and hardware sold till 2000
Gba was sold till 2008 and nintendoes last release for it was 2006
Ds was produced till 2014 with the last pokemon in 2012
3ds lasted till 2020 with games from Nintendo in 2018
Only the wii was really an exception for successful hardware as that was gone just a year after the wiiu but remember the wiiu was announced in early 2011 and not released until 2012, and the wii flamed out really early

Astral Dog

people wanted a new Switch with ToTk but Nintendo needs the time to make it right, they can't have another Wii U or rushed console, the Switch still has some life on it despite what fanboys say, and surely Covid delayed plenty of projects at Nintendo

I bet it will be released next year

Last edited:

Woopah

No more Mario's, Zelda's, not quite on the same level but no more Metroid's. I could be wrong, and someone will contradict me in a few post's lol!!!
Well at the very least we know Prime 4 will come to Switch! Given Nintendo's hardware and software targets, they need some significant releases in the next 9 months

Mozza

I think Nintendo were pretty behind on their software development for the launch of the original Switch, so this time they want to be ready right off the bat, thinking early 2024 announcement and fall 2024 early 2025 release, with a new Mario game ready for launch, perhaps even the next Mario Kart.. it's pretty clear Nintendo are not working on much first party for the existing Switch, apart from projects already announced.

We will not get any news this year, as Nintendo will not want to disrupt it's traditional busy holiday sales period.

GrayFoxPL

You gotta respect Ninty for sticking to the Switch.

Meanwhile Sony fell into the trap of "Where is PS5 Pro?" after releasing PS4 Pro. The demand for faster, better hardware will never end.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think they’ll launch it next year.

Although knowing Nintendo, they will wait until they have 2 years of barren release schedule + profuse apologies first.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is why we need some real competition in.the mobile space. It would force Nintendo to make a move.

Top Bottom