• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else believe Switch sequel not coming for a LONG time?

Kusarigama

I was speculating that since Nintendo is going for more affordable mobile hardware, they might do softer upgrades frequently. Retaining the complete functionality of previous hardware and bringing more powerful hardware. And since mobile SOCs get so frequently updated, I was hoping Switch 2 by 2020, 3 years after the original. But we all know how that went.

People are loving their Switches and don't seem to care enough to vocalise their dismay regarding the aging hardware and Nintendo is happy to reap profits.

I hope a more powerful hardware comes up soon but since Switch is a bonafied anomaly in gaming, only Nintendo will have final say when.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Nintendo have successfully created a system that everyone expects to deliver terrible visuals and so when it delivers anything better it's a pleasant surprise. With that in mind they could carry on with Switch hardware for a few more years yet and the majority of people wouldn't care.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
No idea, but I also think it won't sell nearly as well as Switch has.
That's the problem with being behind the curve graphically, you've already convinced your market that graphics aren't the be all and end all, so you can't just go with a graphical upgrade to sell the system.

gothmog

Gold Member
What's a long time though? Nintendo milks their handhelds for years. They will introduce a new one when they decide.

When I see a group of kids playing switches and having a blast I always laugh. Nintendo knows their market well and aren't going to budge on that.

Woopah

That's the problem with being behind the curve graphically, you've already convinced your market that graphics aren't the be all and end all, so you can't just go with a graphical upgrade to sell the system.
I don't think that's true, right now the most popular Switch model by far is the expensive, premium one.

A more powerful successor with better graphics ( and more importantly exclusive games) should be popular.

There is literally nothing wrong with the current Switch outside of bitching from people obsessed with TF numbers which is like 0.05% of the gaming player base. The Switch is selling better than both the PS5 and XSeX, there's a reason for this. Gamers don't play teraflops, they play games.

Woopah

There is literally nothing wrong with the current Switch outside of bitching from people obsessed with TF numbers which is like 0.05% of the gaming player base. The Switch is selling better than both the PS5 and XSeX, there's a reason for this. Gamers don't play teraflops, they play games.
It was outselling the PS5 in May, I doubt it is doing it currently.

The Switch is probably at a point where Nintendo prefers things to be, game dev cost wise.

Switch 2 means bigger expectations for their games visually, which means bigger budgets and teams required.

Nintendo is aware of this.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The Switch 2 will be available this upcoming holiday season. (My uncle works at Nintendo.)
All of us working at Nintendo…..
anigif_enhanced-28947-1400127154-1.gif

People have been telling me a Switch successor is coming "any day now" for about 3 years. At this point it's probably not that far off but I'm still saying early 2025. They'll milk the fuck out of TOTK for another year, add a DLC, and I'd bet Metroid Prime 4 is the Switch's swan song. Still also have Pikmin 4 to come.

Launch a new system with Mario Kart 9 or a new 3D Mario and watch it fall off the shelves.
The next Nintendo may launch with a new Mario Kart, Pokémon, and Super Smash Bros and it will outsell anything else

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It will be here in 2024. I will then play the "next gen" patched version of TOTK.
I doubt they will patch games if it is BC. They certainly wont do it for free. The only reasons WiiU titles were ported was that that system didn't sell well and there was no BC. For the "switch 2" it will probably be BC but even if it isn't, switch games are available on a system that sold 125m units. What is their incentive to invest resources in upgrading those games instead of making new titles?

Whenever it comes it will probably be a short window from reveal to release, possibly shorter than it was for switch.

Mozza

Every year you hear fake rumours a new Switch is coming but it never happens Nintendos said Switch 2 was only halfways through its living cycle LAST YEAR shouldn't we listen to them?
The console is an evergreen piece of hardware, and it could still shift 15-20 million units a year, to the mass market it's still a cool piece of tech and has had a revision with the OLED model to keep it fresh. Nintendo have yet to introduce a significant price reduction which would help keep sales ticking over.

Of course the leakers will suggest the OLED was intended to be the Switch Pro, but because of the chip shortage Nintendo simply upgraded the consoles screen and added a few quality of life design changes, these guys will never ever admit they were perhaps wrong about the infamous Switch Pro, rumored pretty much since the launce of the original model, way back in 2017... a rumor pretty much born from all the leaks before the original Switch was released, about the originals power etc, and of course the core fans angst about the relatively low power of the finally released console.

Although we do have to factor in the biggest indicator for new hardware, this is what are Nintendo doing development wise for the current model, and excluding a big summer direct where Nintendo announce a lot of new games in development, it's pretty obvious Nintendo's last big release for the Switch was TOTK, and up to now everything in the pipeline is games we are aware of, there seems to be nothing new. If we do get a Direct at some point and it's pretty much remasters and smaller projects etc.... it's pretty safe to say Nintendo's development teams have moved onto something else, and want to release it having a lot of software well into development or close to release... this is why I suggest we have not had a Mario 3D sequel, and Nintendo have decided to make pretty much copy and paste DLC for Mario Kart 8.

The big question is when do Nintendo announce the successor, as I would not put much stock in what they say about new hardware, the 3DS was not getting a revision and Nintendo denied they were working on one, then a few weeks later the 3DS XL was announced, and sitting in warehouse's waiting for distribution. And again more recently.... Nintendo stated there was no plans to release a Switch Pro or even revision to their current Switch console, then the OLED is pretty much shadow dropped... Nintendo rarely can be trusted with these things...

Last edited:

Mozza

Even when it does it'll be 5 years behind in terms of performance
It will be a handheld so I am expecting PS4, possibly PS4 Pro performance, which would be a massive leap compared to the current Switch, imagine what Nintendo own in house teams could do with that level of power, of course it would still be behind the current PS5 and Series X, but if it does have Nvidia DLSS include in the chip set things will be a little more interesting.

Top Bottom