• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else game in their car, at their desk at work, in a hotel, on the train, or other weird places?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm constantly surprised by the people on GAF that say things like "I bought a Switch, but I keep it docked 100% of the time and use it like a regular game console". The same for people buying a Steam Deck then using it exclusively in a docking station.

I love gaming at home - but I'm not always at home. Portable gaming has always been a staple of my regular gaming routine, all the way back to the original Game Boy. Nowadays, if I know I'm going to have to be somewhere for any amount of time, I take either my Switch or Deck with me. Waiting at the shop having my car serviced? No problem, I'm gaming. Waiting for my wife to finish shopping? I'm gaming. Hospital waiting room because my daughter's having surgery? Also gaming. These days, I barely leave the house without one of those two devices on me. Sometimes even both.

For work, I've set up a 17-inch laptop on a wheeldesk in my car (paired to an Xbox controller wirelessly), so I can take my lunch break and hide away in my car where nobody can find me or call me. Then I spend the rest of the time I'm not eating, gaming.

Am I weird? I mean, I know I'm obsessed. Anyone else here typically game in places that aren't their own living room?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
PAqZjky.jpg

Crayon

I like the idea but it never works out. If I think I'm going to end up bored for a long time, I'll bring the switch or a lynx/gba/ something. That switch gets all of 3 hours on battery, though. My preferred portable would be a laptop and a controller but that's bulky and not too hot on battery, either.

Either way it seldom works out. I do have a horribly long plane trip coming up tho and last time around the switch was actually a life saver. At least while the battery lasted. I can't even bring the switch now because that absolute peice of shit has the bad attachment rails and the controller disconnects constantly. Fuck I hate that thing. I'd replace them but it looks like a pain in the ass to do.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm constantly surprised by the people on GAF that say things like "I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife". The same for people buying a fleshlight then using it exclusively in a docking station.

I love having sex at home - but I'm not always at home. Portable sex has always been a staple of my regular fucking routine, all the way back to the original wank. Nowadays, if I know I'm going to have to be somewhere for any amount of time, I take either my sex doll or fleshlight with me. Waiting at the shop having my car serviced? No problem, I'm having sex. Waiting for my wife to finish shopping? I'm having sex. Hospital waiting room because my daughter's having surgery? Also sex. These days, I barely leave the house without one of those two devices on me. Sometimes even both.

For work, I've set up a 17-inch dildo on a wheeldesk in my car (paired to a vibrator ring wirelessly), so I can take my lunch break and hide away in my car where nobody can find me or call me. Then I spend the rest of the time I'm not eating, having sex.

Am I weird? I mean, I know I'm obsessed. Anyone else here typically have sex in places that aren't their own living room?

jshackles

My preferred portable would be a laptop and a controller but that's bulky and not too hot on battery, either.
True of my setup as well. That 17-inch laptop running full tilt gives me about 55 minutes of game time. Plenty of juice to play on my lunch break at work but not nearly enough to do something like a long plane ride or extended gaming session.

Either way it seldom works out. I do have a horribly long plane trip coming up tho and last time around the switch was actually a life saver. At least while the battery lasted.
The last few planes I've flown on had power adapters in the seats to keep your stuff charged. I couldn't imagine a horribly long plane trip without access to power.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I'm constantly surprised by the people on GAF that say things like "I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife". The same for people buying a fleshlight then using it exclusively in a docking station.

I love having sex at home - but I'm not always at home. Portable sex has always been a staple of my regular fucking routine, all the way back to the original wank. Nowadays, if I know I'm going to have to be somewhere for any amount of time, I take either my sex doll or fleshlight with me. Waiting at the shop having my car serviced? No problem, I'm having sex. Waiting for my wife to finish shopping? I'm having sex. Hospital waiting room because my daughter's having surgery? Also sex. These days, I barely leave the house without one of those two devices on me. Sometimes even both.

For work, I've set up a 17-inch dildo on a wheeldesk in my car (paired to a vibrator ring wirelessly), so I can take my lunch break and hide away in my car where nobody can find me or call me. Then I spend the rest of the time I'm not eating, having sex.

Am I weird? I mean, I know I'm obsessed. Anyone else here typically have sex in places that aren't their own living room?
cxp6zNB.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think I've never done that. Only time I take the consoles out of the house is if I'm visiting someone else's house.

Guess I could have played on the public transport when I was living in the city, but I dunno, I'd rather listen to music or read something while taking peeks at the other passenger's asses.

I also think that I wouldn't enjoy the game as much as if I was playing at home. Same reason why I didn't watch stuff like movies or tv shows on my phone, because I know I'd enjoy those much more at home.

XXL

Stardew Valley is installed in my car, so I've been playing that when I'm waiting, a few mins here and there. I'm gonna buy a controller for the car so I can play Cuphead, it's installed as well.

tusharngf

giphy.gif

jshackles

You know you can put down the games and enjoy life a little. You don't have to devote every minute of every day to a video game while the world passes you by. Sounds very unhealthy.
I still have other stuff I do, it's one of the reasons I try to squeeze in gaming when I can. I have a wife and kids, my job usually has a lot of variety, and I've been on a kick the last few months working out every day. Every weekend I make time to do a 10+ mile trail run, sometimes 20 or more. I've been seriously studying the past year learning Japanese. I just bought a new mountain bike and plan on getting out on that thing to cross-train.

I feel like I'm fairly well-rounded, just don't like wasting time lol

Mr Hyde

I was never into handheld gaming before Switch. I tried the GBA Advance SP and Vita, but it felt so sub par to the actual thing so I barely used them. But with Switch it finally clicked. Nowadays I always carry it around me. I travel quite a lot so I use my Switch on the train, the bus, or just when I'm away from home. This thing has saved a lot of boring trips. I sometimes think what I did before Switch came into my traveling, which was usually reading books or listening to music, but after an hour or two I need some time to reflect on what I've read so I put the book away. And music just gets boring after a while. With Switch I don't put it away until the battery is completely depleted 😃 I also rarely play it docked, even at home. My tv is usually for the PS5. And the OLED screen is just too nice. I fucking love the Switch. My favorite console of all time.

Last edited:

Crayon

True of my setup as well. That 17-inch laptop running full tilt gives me about 55 minutes of game time. Plenty of juice to play on my lunch break at work but not nearly enough to do something like a long plane ride or extended gaming session.

The last few planes I've flown on had power adapters in the seats to keep your stuff charged. I couldn't imagine a horribly long plane trip without access to power.

We had a usb cable but it was so short I couldn't charge while playing lol. I often don't think about charging while I'm out because I always buy ruggedized phones and the batteries last for days.

phant0m

I play my Anbernic RG351MP on the train. Plays everything up to PS1/N64 (I mainly play GBA and PS1)

I take my Steam Deck on more extended travel.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I play on my Quest 2 in hotels all the time. I also have an i5/GTX1650 laptop that is good for some 1080p gaming.

SeraphJan

I used to like gaming outside with a good headset even if I had the choice to stay at home, fresh air making gaming experience even better

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played 3/4 of RE4 on Switch when that came out 3 years ago. Ended up finishing it at home. I was at my old job. I got depressed, which is why I got a new job. I took my Switch to work and would play over my lunch hour inside my car. It was very relaxing for me and it got me to switch jobs.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I use to travel with my original xbox to my off site job for weeks at a time. I spent months away from home and had to cut off a security clamp from the tv so I could connect my Xbox. I was in the hotel for weeks. I worked a lot but played a ton of tiger woods golf. I went home every couple of weeks and had my Xbox with me when I went.

The hotel held my clothes bag on the weekends I was gone and I always got the same room back every time I checked in. I was going to ask out one of the clerks but she ended up getting fired before I got my nerve.

Rykan

I tend to play games in the car fairly frequently, usually on the way to work.

Just make sure you glance at the road occasionally while driving.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I keep an Xbox controller in my backpack and play Gamepass streaming on my iPad quite a bit. Works great on 5G. I don't think it's weird to play games in any of those places.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
During vacations, sure. Being able to continue playing Elden Ring while away from home thanks to Steam Deck, was awesome.
I’ve occasionally brought systems to work to play during breaks, but they really weren’t getting much use.

Danknugz

at my age and with most of my social circle not being gamers, i see gaming as more of a man child problem to be embarrassed about and hide from others.

if i'm out in nature or outside i tend to try and enjoy it for what it's worth because I probably don't do it enough. i'd actually like to get back into running

BlackTron

I think it's weird to buy a Steam Deck and leave it connected to a TV/monitor all the time, because you may as well just use a normal desktop PC for that purpose.

On the other hand, Switch is full of exclusive games so it doesn't seem that far fetched to buy one not because you desperately needed portable gaming, but because you wanted to play Mario, Zelda, Smash and Kart. At that point the fact that it undocks to a portable device becomes an option you may or may not have cared about that much but is nice to have.

I do use my Switch for both roles, but I don't really like playing those big 3D titles on the portable. When it's undocked it turns into a hyper Game Gear for 2D stuff. Back when Switch was fresh I would play Mario Odyssey on TV with a Pro Controller and then it was effectively a different system undocked for hours of Wargroove. The difference in screen size and quality isn't as critical with those sprite-based games and they usually don't demand that you upgrade the crappy joycons to play them for more than 15 minutes either.

calistan

I keep a GBA SP (that you wouldn't want to touch) in the downstairs toilet, which is reserved exclusively for me in the winter since it's unheated. I used to play Advance Wars until the winnets had frozen on my arse.

Top Bottom