• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else not give a shit about customising their character?

Character customization?

• Give me a fade, hightops, tattoos, a nice beard and big muscles

Votes: 53 35.6%
  • Dude is still named "Player 1" and only wearing underwear.

Votes: 96 64.4%

• Total voters

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If you mean character creation in games then yeah I also couldn't care less about them, its boring and waste of time going through menus to create character which most of the it never going to look as good as proper devs made character.

I rather just choose the default and get on with the game.

Thedtrain

I’ve never cared about the 37 different facial options or 100 styles of hair.

Give me a legendary jacket to hunt for and I’m there.

Metnut

Good post OP. I don’t care about customizing my character. Just want to play.

The idea of people paying money for cosmetic upgrades in video games continues to astound me.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I wish more games would react to what your character looks like. I still enjoy it either way though.

Aenima

I like to costumize my character if its in a character creator, i dont spend much time on it though. Usually dont even bother changing the face, just change the hair style, hair color or facial hair and im good to go.

If its a named character and thers alternate outfits and stuff along the way i usually stick with the initial look untill the end.

AndrewRyan

I make use of the randomize character button if offered. Usually click it a few too many times until skipping over a few that I like before settling on a decent one.

LOLCats

Banned
Yeah i customize... a dumb generic, unoffensive, woke avatar in games is not my thing.

Without character creation the avatars are boring and i dont feel invested in the character as much.

place an action game with a chubby they/them in front of me, yeah i just say no to that shit. Its a fucking fantasy, no one is fuggly in my fantasies and i aint playing a game like that, its not for my audience anyway.

Last edited:

baphomet

I hate games that make me design a character.

Just give me the fucking dork from the trailers and let's get this going.

melekind

Neophyte
How is that possible loool
Sometimes I've just created a character and it's already past the refund time
Yes, I'm talking about you!2077!

Tschumi

How is that possible loool
Sometimes I've just created a character and it's already past the refund time
Yes, I'm talking about you!2077!
90% of your impasse:
"I'll go big dick. Nobody will know. But I'll know. Isn't that silly? But it's a game. I'll go big dick. Nobody will know. But--"

Deerock71

75f5b859012824f19631c96ff65db255.jpg

iBmQzzRg.jpg

60dce9feda0b51329f277dd76f05f2d9.jpg

suPFe2Ag.jpg
08-shrek-amp-princess-fiona-from-shrek-768x922.jpg

fetchimage
Give this man (or woman) a chicken dinner.

Swift_Star

Banned
I hate custom characters. And I abhor silent protagonists. Give a face, a body, a personality. Give me reactions. The only thing I like to customize is clothing and armor ONLY.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Either or, really. Some stock characters are great as-is like Solid Snake in the MGS saga. I'm not sure he was that customizable except for some unlockable suits and such. In the Fallout games I've gone with customizable characters and it's a small perk that's kept me in with the franchise.

YukiOnna

I care if it's an anime styled game because it actually looks appealing. I spent an entire hour in FFXIV or Code Vein making sure that catgirl or vampire looked right.

But stuff like Dark Souls or TES then I couldn't care less and try to get it over with.

Phase

I don't care about character customization at all, nor would I ever pay for it. I just have to laugh at the current landscape of online multiplayer games and how they somehow make billions on it.

THEAP99

Banned
Totally agree. I have no time to waste to create something my way. All artificial and pointless

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Very interesting poll, I did not expect things to go that way.

I always spend at least 30 minutes on character customization. If I'm gonna stare at my character for 100 hours he's at least going to look like I did (18 years and 60 pounds ago)

Allforce

I like getting gear to put ON my character that looks cool and is interesting. I hate doing any kind of facial customization and will just hit the Random button until something comes up that I'm reasonably ok with occupying the world I'm playing in.

Reyziak

I pretty much stick to default, but I do change the hair style and add a beard.

Or I make some abomination. Either or really.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
In older games it tends to be ass.

In games that don't usually do it, like MGSV, it's a pain in the ass waste of time you didn't ask for, and you best believe Mr. Medic was the most plain, white, default mother fucker ever.

It depends on the game. Mass Effect? Default Shepard. Fallout? I'll make a character that looks like me. Soulsborne? Whatever. Skyrim? Whatever.

Vaelka

Games are a visual media too.
Maybe some people care about it a lot less than others but I mean it's like not caring about music in a movie it doesn't mean that the music doesn't matter and can't elevate it.
There's some cases where I even felt like it borderline ruined it, Dune 2021 comes to mind I found the music to be extremely obnoxious, overbearing and inappropriate at times ( when a character dies I don't want to hear the Wonder Woman OOOAOaoaOAOAOAOAOAAAAAAAAH vocals ).

Fare thee well

Neophyte
100% depends on the game. As an artistically inclined person, I like paint on mechs and spaceships, a wardrobe system like guild wars 2, special badass armors like the witcher sets in witcher 3 so I have something to aim for, constantly tinkering with the gear and style of companions in KOTOR games, etc etc. It all helps getting immersed and enthralled with a setting of a game. But there were plenty of games where I just didn't really give a shit. Zelda is a game where style is really more function. I'm only wearing the blue tunic so I can breath under water. Or Vermaintide. I'm just there to do a few rounds with friends. Or Valheim, it's really just the next stronger armor I needed.

so yea, entirely relative.

Rambone

Some games just give you some awful looking characters, it's nice when you are given options to customize them to something a bit more palatable.

RPG's? Hell fucking yea.

MP games? Not so much. Depends if I really like the game because every fucking MP game's customization is heavily monetized. Normally, I don't spend money on them.

If it's a first-person game then it's pointless imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom