• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Souls/Souls-Like players: Do you respec?

Do you respec? Edit

• Si

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 72.5%

• Total voters

Mondai

When you want to try a new build or get tired of your current one? do you respec or start a new character?I've played Souls games since Demon's and I've only respec'd once (Elden Ring to beat Malenia). I don't find respec to be fun so if I want to try a new build I just start a new character, hence me reaching the character limit in every Souls and Souls-like games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't respec either and instead I rather just start new character if I want different build.

I find process of building your character very fun.

Last edited:

laynelane

I like weapons like Greatswords and Greataxes so I tend to play the same type of character in each game. I did respec once in Dark Souls 2, just to see what it was all about, but I'm more inclined to just continually level the character I have. If shortcomings come up, I just gradually cover them over time with levels.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Sometimes, yes. First time i play it, usually just trying to know what and how it works. Then soon as i can, i respec.

Usually, no

TexMex

I will if someone discovers some insanely busted build that I want to enjoy before it gets nerfed otherwise I just stick with what I've got

Pelao

An important part of the fun for me in any roleplaying game is living with my mistakes, and that includes stats.
I won't judge those who don't, but that's how I enjoy them the most.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
No, I tend to play the unga bunga str/faith route in these games every time, I even fat rolled through most of dks1 with havel's armour.

I do it for NG cycles, yes. For the entire run I don't respec. Before entering a NG, I'll respec to change up how I approach encounters for the next playthrough

Bartski

Gold Member
I respec all the time and I think it's crazy not to, as if choosing to miss out on gameplay diversity those games are all about.
While I do have my favorite build which always ends up as a sort of dex hybrid, the moment things start feeling stale is when I tend to switch to something totally different, especially if I have the resource to revert back.
That's the magic of keeping the gameplay feeling fresh for 300+hrs in Elden Ring

While I do fully understand and enjoy committing to a build (BB, DS1... ) what respect brings to a game outweighs its value tenfold.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I respecced only end of Elden Ring when I got into NG+.

Switched to this uchigatana ice +25 build. I don’t even know if it’s meta anymore, and I don’t recall wtf my stats should be or anything.

Seems like enough hits do some critical hit taking large chunks of health at once? Killed Mogh tonight with it without any issues.

I generally reroll from scratch and I was planning to for erdtree initially but the game is so massive and I don’t think I can make time to do it all over again.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nah. I find something that's easy to cheese the game with and stick to it.

Propel Water Jet GIF by Xbox

Respec doesn’t matter if you need to farm stones to upgrade your new weapons and armor. At that point you’re better of restarting the game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Respec doesn’t matter if you need to farm stones to upgrade your new weapons and armor. At that point you’re better of restarting the game.
Larval Tears are not that hard to come by…..near my first play through I had round 10-13 of them but I never used it.

Mr Hyde

In Elden Ring I do it all the time. It's too big to just casually start a new character and there is also a ridiculous amount of cool weapons and play styles. I can never decide what I want to play as so my OCD is making me having a meltdown everytime I play.

Oh No Omg GIF by Offline Granny!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Pretty much no unless I've messed something up.

"builds" in Souls are overrated IMO. Just get a big stick and maybe a shield and go hit things. The magic's always felt weirdly implemented and overpowered.

Griffon

I tried to respec in Elden Ring to try to make the game more bearable (I never had to in other Soulslikes). It didn't work out.

Top Bottom