• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else thinks Legends: Arceus was peak Pokémon?

Mythoclast

I know a lot of people are compelled to buy a new Pokémon every 1-2 years for the turn-based gameplay, training EVs and PvP battles. I played the original Red Version, my last one was Crystal Version.

Then I bought Shield on Switch after many years and I enjoyed it, but in a chore kind of way instead of a fun way.

After playing through Arceus I really can’t go back. I never even finished Violet and don’t intend to buy another traditional Pokémon. From the seamless battles, catching Pokémon without entering battles, I really don’t understand why they didn’t make Scarlet just like Arceus but with online battles and the additional stats.

Arceus for the first time felt like a fun game, a game I wanted to come back because of the fun, the thrill of finding a new shiny, and not because of the grind. I also think Arceus was visually superior to Scarlet and Violet.

I hope more Legends games enter into the development rotation to get one at least every 3 years. I don’t intend to go back to classic gameplay.

Last edited:

Robochobo

That would be Emerald. As for Arceus, that game has its multitude of problems. The least of which being the framerate/graphics. I appreciate what they intend to do, or try, with the franchise, but the execution isn't there. Mainly feels less thought out and polished than the older games. QoL is improved, but the overall game doesn't sit right with me.

Roufianos

It was awesome, though the peak is still HG/SS for me. Makes me very excited for similar games in the future.

MirageMew2

Scarlet & Violet couldn’t be a bigger disappointment following Legends Arceus. You’re not wrong. Legends Arceus is peak Pokémon.

My biggest gripe is the absolutely perfect party system/UX. How they proceeded to release Scarlet and Violet after the massively innovative gameplay in Arceus is genuinely mind-boggling. Peak Pokémon fantasy is being able to swap your lead on the fly, throw them at trees and rocks to interact with the open-world, have all 6 out at once, and ride unique Pokémon. Arceus had all of this and was executed brilliantly. It was basically the first game to really bring Pokémon to the modern era, as a third-person shooter/open-world RPG. And it rocks.

The battling is more contentious and I personally wouldn’t mind more traditional structure in the narrative but everything else was absolutely perfect and needs to be implemented in Gen 10 forward.

Even Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee had more to add than the abysmal Diamond/Pearl remakes.

I know people have their problems with these games but these two are easily a cut above the rest of the mainline Switch releases.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So you last played Crystal so you missed

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Black/White & Black 2/White 2
X/Y (No third version lmao shit gen)
Sun/Moon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Then came back to play the worst games in the series and a bare minimum little to do zone based 3D Safari Zone is the peak? Lmfao

B/W and Black2/White2 are the pinnacle. People will go "Oh boo hoo but they're expensive." Yeah... Because they sold poorly because there's no Charizard. Not my fault Pokemon fans are casuals.

Kumomeme

the wolf of wall street GIF

it is still lack lot of element given the spin off nature like it is not centered around pokemon battling like main title does.

personally

320px-Pok%C3%A9mon_HeartGold_and_SoulSilver-title.png

mystech

I’d say HG/SS with Emerald coming in at a close 2nd.

That being said, Arceus was definitely a breath of fresh air. It was the first time in a long time that Pokémon felt “new”. Let’s face it, Gamefreak has been selling us the same game over and over and just swapping the location and creatures. With Arceus, we finally got a new formula.

Let’s just hope they continue to experiment with things and let’s also hope Nintendo starts requiring more out of them. Their Switch releases were pretty lackluster for a system that can run Tears of the Kingdom.

I am currently playing this for the first time and feel the single-player experience is the best in the series.
  • Only one version containing every Pokemon instead of being forced to trade
  • Trading not required to evolve any Pokemon
  • Pokemon can use any move from their current or prior movesets, so we can always evolve immediately rather than calculate an optimal level for evolution
  • Pokemon appear to be distributed in a rational manner rather than just randomly dumped out into an open world like Sword/Shield
  • No bizarre gigantamax, z-move, crystal helmet, mega stones, etc... just pure Pokemon ("Alpha" Pokemon are identical to regular Pokemon in all ways except visual size)
  • New battle system which makes Pokemon speeds other than extremely fast/slow actually matter, and also allows tactical agile/strong moves
  • New effort system means less time hunting for a particular Pokemon
  • New research system makes completing the Pokedex feel more interesting and challenging
  • No TMs! Other games have tried to work around the TM system, but the concept of riding unique Pokemon completely solves the issue and is thematic
Of course, if you are looking for battling against other players, raids, etc then you must look elsewhere. The way this game is clearly designed to be a complete, self-contained, single-player experience is refreshing. Even the one feature of the game that requires Switch Online is still functional if you play offline (recovering satchels for items).

This game is what I have always asked for in a Pokemon game as a solo player. I really hope they are making another one in this series.

Last edited:
I know a lot of people are compelled to buy a new Pokémon every 1-2 years for the turn-based gameplay, training EVs and PvP battles. I played the original Red Version, my last one was Crystal Version.

Then I bought Shield on Switch after many years and I enjoyed it, but in a chore kind of way instead of a fun way.

After playing through Arceus I really can’t go back. I never even finished Violet and don’t intend to buy another traditional Pokémon. From the seamless battles, catching Pokémon without entering battles, I really don’t understand why they didn’t make Scarlet just like Arceus but with online battles and the additional stats.

Arceus for the first time felt like a fun game, a game I wanted to come back because of the fun, the thrill of finding a new shiny, and not because of the grind. I also think Arceus was visually superior to Scarlet and Violet.

I hope more Legends games enter into the development rotation to get one at least every 3 years. I don’t intend to go back to classic gameplay.
Peak pokemon was Gold and Silver but Arceus was heavenly compared to everything in between those 2 titles.

blacktout

I don't know if it's the best Pokemon game, but it's definitely the most mechanically satisfying and probably the most purely fun.

Tams

It took me back to the excitement I had playing the first three gens.

The improved gameplay and mechanics make it. And while the environmental graphics are poor for today, they are just about good enough and are better than other Pokémon games (bar Stadium, which is pretty much static).

Kamina

Golden Boy
I replayed Legends Arceus some weeks ago. Damn fine game even if the graphics are weak.
It really was a breath of fresh air for the series.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
I am currently playing this for the first time and feel the single-player experience is the best in the series.
  • Only one version containing every Pokemon instead of being forced to trade
  • Trading not required to evolve any Pokemon
  • Pokemon can use any move from their current or prior movesets, so we can always evolve immediately rather than calculate an optimal level for evolution
  • Pokemon appear to be distributed in a rational manner rather than just randomly dumped out into an open world like Sword/Shield
  • No bizarre gigantamax, z-move, crystal helmet, mega stones, etc... just pure Pokemon ("Alpha" Pokemon are identical to regular Pokemon in all ways except visual size)
  • New battle system which makes Pokemon speeds other than extremely fast/slow actually matter, and also allows tactical agile/strong moves
  • New effort system means less time hunting for a particular Pokemon
  • New research system makes completing the Pokedex feel more interesting and challenging
  • No TMs! Other games have tried to work around the TM system, but the concept of riding unique Pokemon completely solves the issue and is thematic
Of course, if you are looking for battling against other players, raids, etc then you must look elsewhere. The way this game is clearly designed to be a complete, self-contained, single-player experience is refreshing. Even the one feature of the game that requires Switch Online is still functional if you play offline (recovering satchels for items).

This game is what I have always asked for in a Pokemon game as a solo player. I really hope they are making another one in this series.

It perplexes me how they debuted a new battle system in a game that doesn't show it off.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Legends Celebi when?

Tempted to pick up Arceus even though I’ve hated every game since the 3DS (I enjoyed AS/OR even though Emerald is miles better).

What I really want is Legends Celebi though. Johto is the greatest region by far, with Gen 1 and 2 Pokémon only it would be immense.

Maybe year 1 on their next console? It’d be peak Nintendo if they never make another though.

DeVeAn

Yes. I was surprised how much I really enjoyed it. Obviously, the image quality suffers. The gameplay loop was so much fun. Post games were a let down. Why did they abandon this style?

Soodanim

Gold Member
Haven't played any Switch games, but from a distance Arceus looked far more interesting than what the mainline games have been doing for a while. If Switch 2 has BC, it will be on my "Games I missed out on" list.

MagnesD3

Pokemon Gold and Silver are the best ones Ive played followed by Pokemon X and Y, Ive played up to Sun and Moon to be fair. Im definitely interested in Arceus.

Last edited:
PL:A was the breath of fresh air the Pokémon series has needed for at least a decade. If the game improved the map to make traversal and exploration more interesting, it'd have gone a long way. Make Eterna Forest actually *feel* like a forest, and not just a bunch of trees grouped together. I'm willing to forfeit a huge connected open world if they design the world to better benefit from smaller, more focused areas with more attention to detail.

Oh, and improve the graphics. Pokémon is the biggest media franchise on the planet, they have no excuse for the game being so ugly. They can't blame the Switch hardware either because Metroid Prime Remastered is another Switch game and that game looks fantastic.

But the new setting and overhaul on catching Pokémon were strong steps in the right direction, and I'd be happy to write off PL:A's shortcomings as a step on the path to a better game if Pokémon Legends: Kyurem or whatever shows improvement.

Skelterz

I really liked the aesthetic however I felt the Pokemon themselves would level up far to quickly earning masses of exp from mundane activity’s took away some of the joy of training creatures etc.

Dazraell

I don't think it's a peak, but out of Pokemon games on Switch I've played so far, I enjoyed Arceus the most

Top Bottom