• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’ve decided to finally give Pokémon a go but I don’t know which one to start out with. Help?

What’s the best Pokémon game on Switch

• Scarlet and Violet

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Sword and Shield

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Diamond and Pearl

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Let’s Go

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Legends

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Snap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokken

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LakeOf9

I’ve been trying out a lot of Nintendo games and franchises that I missed out on since I got the Switch. I’ve already fallen in move with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Fire Emblem.

One Nintendo franchise that I have no patience for is pokemon. The games look terrible (graphically they just look bad) and they seem like extremely shallow turn based RPGs for kids that I’d get nothing out of.

But I would have said similar things about Mario or Zelda before I played them and I was wrong there so I’m willing to give Pokémon a chance too.

The problem is, it looks like there’s a lot of Pokémon games on the switch and most of them seem to be… bad? I was hoping gaf could help me figure out which to play. Here’s the list I had narrowed it down to

• Scarlet and Violet - these are the new ones, and they seem to have been launch cyberpunk level disasters at release. Reviews are pretty mixed but it seems fans liked them. Not sure this should be my first one but if people say this is the way to go I’ll go this way
  • Sword and shield - I remember this was very controversial a few years ago but people seem to mostly like it now. I saw some videos and it looks… okay? Nothing about it seems great or terrible. Not sure I wanna spend $60 on something that’s just average but again, if I’m told this is the best one to start with I’ll go with this
  • Pokken- I’m not sure this is a “real” Pokémon game, I think it’s just a fighting game spin off?
  • Let’s Go Pikachu - im not even sure what this is. A port of Pokémon go to switch?
  • Brilliant Diamond and Pearl - this seems to be a port of an old DS Pokémon game?
  • Pokémon legends - this one seems really cool actually (across all the Pokémon games I’ve ever seen this is the only one that actually interested me). It kind of seems like botw and Pokémon mixed together. I was leaning towards this one but is this a “mainline” game? The name seems to suggest it’s a spin off
  • New Pokémon snap - I didn’t even know this existed until I was researching the series but this one seems kinda cool. I assume I’d like it more if I was already familiar with Pokémon so maybe this is something to come back to later
Of these the one that interests me the most is Pokémon legends but I don’t know if that’s the best one to start with. What say you GAF? What’s the best Pokémon game on switch to play? If I like whatever I’m playing enough I’d be willing to explore some of the older Pokémon games too, but a switch one must first win me over for that.

BlakeofT

Legends is a really good choice. I don't know how others classify it, but to me it's not really a mainline game, not that it really matters. The only problem I guess is that if you fall in love with PLA, you might feel that the other releases like Sword and Scarlet are lacking. Still felt like a Pokemon game and I liked it a lot. Hoping we get a sequel! For what it's worth, I also really liked Scarlet a ton despite the performance issues.

Chukhopops

I would say either Scarlet/Violet or one of the remakes like Diamond/Pearl. SV is actually not bad at all despite the technical issues.

Or if you don’t mind old graphics then in my opinion Black/White and the sequels are the series’ peak.

Pokken and Snap are spin-offs and I don’t recommend Sword/Shield or Let’s Go.

Saber

Gold Member
None of above. You would have a terrible experience and the gimmicks there are either cancer or doesn't work at all. Trust me, you are losing nothing playing these games(unless you just want new mons).

Either start with Gold&Silver or Black&White. I would suggest Platinum as well, but for starters could be a bit complicated.

If you want a deep explanation about those games just say the world.

Last edited:
I have a much better pokemon experience for you, an amazing switch exclusive

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI V

Or a multiplataform PERSONA 5

Trust me, save your time, the pokemon we love is Long gone

tkscz

If you plan on playing any of them, DON'T start with Scarlet & Violet, holy crap did it have a LOT of QoL changes. So much was made easier to deal with that it would make the old ones much harder to get into.

Start with Heart Gold/ Soul Silver. Gold and Silver still stand as two of the best in the series and their remakes are even better (except for the music. Ruined Goldenrod's theme.)

I've always thought the same, but still occasionally played them. Legends Arceus is my favorite, it still has tons of hand holding and nothing special in the story compartment but its the freshsest take on pokemon. Well I actually haven't tried the latest one cause I heard it was buggy at launch

The problem is, it looks like there’s a lot of Pokémon games on the switch and most of them seem to be… bad? I was hoping gaf could help me figure out which to play. Here’s the list I had narrowed it down to

The best way to enjoy Pokémon is to play on a tiny ass handheld while you are absentmindedly doing other things.

Play Pokemon Blue, because Blastoise is and forever will be the coolest Pokemon of all time.

Blastoise GIF by Pokémon

Kamina

Golden Boy
Start with Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee
Those are the Remakes of Gen 1, which set it all in motion.

If you like open word stuff Legends Arceus is great.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Even though I personally really liked Lets Go and Scarlet/Violet, I have no issues admitting that Pokémon as a series simply doesn't have the quality that Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Fire Emblem do. Honestly, if the nostalgia isn't there for you, I'm not sure you're gonna enjoy any of these.

If someone really wanted to get into the Pokémon series, I guess the main games I would recommend would be HeartGold/SoulSilver as they are the last games that still represent everything that I like about Pokémon, but those are old and expensive as all fuck.

Luigi Mario

I would agree with the Platinum and Black/White recommendations. They are best that classic Pokemon has to offer but unfortunately none of them are available on the Switch.
So, I would recommend Pokemon Legends: Arceus and yes it's a mainline game.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Screenshot-2023-01-18-200346.png
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc1544d31-78d8-4aa7-81f4-e442a612fa62_1144x506.png

Unironically the best video game of any kind to come out of Pokemon... except for its sequel which is even better, but harder to find.

Bonus: it teaches you the card game with real depth, so you can get real cards and continue the enjoyment.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I was going to say, never ask this question on the internet or you'll end up emulating a mid-1990s handheld game and wonder what the fuss is all about.

But of course, I'm late to the party.

If you've never played Pokémon, the simplest way to get in is to get either the latest remakes, or the latest mainline game.

stickkidsam

Pokémon Fire Red or Omega Ruby would be my choice.

I’ve only had a smidge of experience with the newer ones except Legends. I hear a lot of praise for Legends though so that’s probably a good choice.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Screenshot-2023-01-18-200346.png
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc1544d31-78d8-4aa7-81f4-e442a612fa62_1144x506.png

Unironically the best video game of any kind to come out of Pokemon... except for its sequel which is even better, but harder to find.

Bonus: it teaches you the card game with real depth, so you can get real cards and continue the enjoyment.
Gengar Pain Split/Wigglytuff Do the Wave absolutely breaks this game.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Gengar Pain Split/Wigglytuff Do the Wave absolutely breaks this game.
It would be very annoying against a real opponent, but I never tried to build a pure trick deck in the single player, it would kill the fun.

The best part about the sequel (JP only... but I have the fan-translation packed into a Virtual Console wrapper on my hacked 3DS, works great) is that you have to fight a whole series of opponents who have completely different deck-building rules for their battles. So you are forced to create many different kinds of decks as you go.

Draugoth

Gold Member
My personal order to start as a long time fan to newgoers:

1 - Pokemon Let's Go
2 - Pokemon X/Y
3 - Pokemon Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire
4 - Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
5 - Pokemon Shining Pearl and Brilliant Diamond
6 - Pokemon Sword and Shield
7 - Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

After playing some new ones, go to the older ones:

1 - Pokemon Platinum
2 - PokemonHeart Gold & Soul Silver
3 - Pokemon Black and White
5 - Pokemon Black and White 2
5 - Pokemon Platinum

Spin Offs to play in order:

1 - Pokemon Legends
2 - Pokemon XD and Pokemon Colosseum
3 - New Pokemon Snap
4 - Pokemon Conquest
5 - Pokemon Conquest Pokemon Mistery Dungeon Explorers of Sky
6 - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX

I havent played since Sword and Shield because i cant afford switch games in my country, so have fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom