• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone looking forward to Flatout?

Mallrat83

Banned
I could care less about actually racing, but those minigames are fuckin' gold. How much is this game going to be when it comes out here?

The demo sucks. The only fun part about it is flying out of the car. My friend and I made a game out of seeing who can fly the farthest. It was more fun than actually racing.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oni Link 666 said:
The demo sucks. The only fun part about it is flying out of the car. My friend and I made a game out of seeing who can fly the farthest. It was more fun than actually racing.

You do know that there is a bunch of minigames in Flatout based on that theme, right?

pj

Banned
It is NOT like rallisport. Rallisport's driving is simple and fun, flatout's is simple and shitty

The car handling in Flatout sucks, but the mini games are quite good. In the demo I saw that there was a gigantic bowling alley, which will be fun. I'll probably pick it up when it's like $10..

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
It's been out in Europe for awhile. Every impression I read of this game is so conflicting.

You're a cawk Gek for comparing it to Rallisport.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Do the other cars have drivers that will fly out of THEIR cars when they crash?

Gek54

Just popped this game back in after putting it away after GT4 came out and I forgot just how much fun it really is after all, especially with full support of the DFP. Great game and the only thing I would bitch about would be the 30fps.

pj

Banned
DarienA said:
Do the other cars have drivers that will fly out of THEIR cars when they crash?

Yeah, the actual racing sucks so much that I drove around backwards on the track and nitroed right into those dumb bastards. They fly out just like you do

Keio

For a Finer World
If you end up picking simulation mode, Flatout has an unforgiving, realistic handling model. It's sort of fun, but you need a "shit happens"-attitude, as so many random variables end up affecting your racing (AI bumps usually send you and them off the road, hitting obstacles causes massive physics chain reactions so it's easy to block the whole road with logs/debris).

VALIS

I've been looking forward to it myself and hate to hear the bad remarks. At $20 or $30 I'll live with some flaws but right now the game is priced at $50. :(

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Its so sloooow, its like driving under the influence of a time lord.

Minigames are fun though...much more fun than the actual game.

bjork

Is this actually out yet? I just saw the trailer for it and it looks like it'd be fun with other people.

Ranger X

I didn't really like the demo. You character flying out by the windshield, it's getting old pretty fast. I hope they correct the controls, that's the main flaw imo.

VALIS

triste said:
Is this actually out yet? I just saw the trailer for it and it looks like it'd be fun with other people.

EB says it comes out tomorrow and thankfully it has been reduced to $40. I'll give it a shot at $40. Very few things are more fun in video games than smashing cars. :D

The demo was atrocious. I think it was the worst driving game I've tried this gen. I did get a couple of laughs from the mini-game where you try to fling your driver the highest, but even that didn't play consistently, and there's no way I'd pay anything for this game. Not even a rental.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I've heard such mixed things about this game. I really want to play it on LIVE (can you play mini-games on there?) I'm pretty sure I'm not $40 curious though.

VALIS

Leondexter said:
The demo was atrocious. I think it was the worst driving game I've tried this gen. I did get a couple of laughs from the mini-game where you try to fling your driver the highest, but even that didn't play consistently, and there's no way I'd pay anything for this game. Not even a rental.

Isn't it common knowledge by now that demos are often not very representitive of the final product? The game has been out in Europe since last year and has been getting pretty good scores there, although EGM trashed it this month.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/919115.asp?q=flatout

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
:lol Save your money everybody, there's a sequel coming NEXT YEAR. :lol

FlatOut 2 hits the road in 2006
Current-gen crashfest sequel will be published by VU and land on the PC, PS2, and Xbox.

Although it doesn't hit North American store shelves until tomorrow, VU Games' FlatOut is already expecting a sequel. The destruction derby will follow in the skid marks of its predecessor by steering onto the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PC next year. The game is currently being developed by Finnish studio Bugbear Entertainment, the team behind the original FlatOut.

VU Games hasn't yet opened the Jaws of Life by releasing any major details on the game, but the sequel is expected to continue the tradition of FlatOut's fully destructible environments and excessive crashes. As well, there will be 16 fully customizable cars to choose from.

In FlatOut, released in Europe last November, racers speed across various environments while taking out competitors, roadside edifices, and anything else that gets between their fenders and the finish line. Gamers can also sadistically eject their drivers from cars in a multitude of twisted minigames, including 10-pin bowling and darts.

To get an idea of what to expect from FlatOut 2, go head-on with GameSpot's feature preview of the original.

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Rodriguez said:
I was all set to pass on this game, but now it's only $40. I'm so there.

Keep pinching those pennies, Musashi.

VIETCONG BROKE ME!

yea, I remember your goty nonsense. Now it must represent!

Gregory

Banned
WTF? This game fucking sucks. Really. Stay far away from it. It has really slow, shitty and boring car handling.

Better than RSC2? Gimme a fucking break. Damn trolls.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Gregory said:
WTF? This game fucking sucks. Really. Stay far away from it. It has really slow, shitty and boring car handling. Better than RSC2? Gimme a fucking break.

Ditto.

Handling sucks, the tracks are boring and simple and the scenarios are all to similar to each other to be compelling or even to give you that "let's see at least what comes next". There's a lot of smoke but no roast in it :lol

Didn't play online mode though, that could be fun... maybe for 10$ in the bargain bin you could count me in.

VALIS said:
Isn't it common knowledge by now that demos are often not very representitive of the final product? The game has been out in Europe since last year and has been getting pretty good scores there, although EGM trashed it this month.

The purpose of a demo is to get people to try a game so that they'll want to buy it. I know, it's possible for a demo to suck, but the game to be good. But that's overwhelmingly NOT the case. In fact, the opposite is probably much more common--demo is alright, game sucks. But mostly, demos represent the game fairly well, in my experience.
And even if the demo stinks but the game doesn't, the company has themselves to blame if I don't buy their game because they put out a lousy demo. That demo is their best chance to convince me. If it stinks, but then gets really great reviews, I have been known to rent and try again. Rarely. It's not as if I'm lacking great games to play. I don't need to waste time on second chances.

VALIS

Leondexter said:
The purpose of a demo is to get people to try a game so that they'll want to buy it. I know, it's possible for a demo to suck, but the game to be good. But that's overwhelmingly NOT the case. In fact, the opposite is probably much more common--demo is alright, game sucks. But mostly, demos represent the game fairly well, in my experience.
And even if the demo stinks but the game doesn't, the company has themselves to blame if I don't buy their game because they put out a lousy demo. That demo is their best chance to convince me. If it stinks, but then gets really great reviews, I have been known to rent and try again. Rarely. It's not as if I'm lacking great games to play. I don't need to waste time on second chances.

I agree for the most part, but it just seems very common lately a new under-the-radar game comes out and a handful of people will say they tried the demo and list the complaints and say the game sucked, and half the time those flaws have been improved or aren't even in the final version. As much as it seems to defeat it's very purpose, I wouldn't rely on a demo to be the final word.

This is one of those games you know will be $20 by September or November, especially with a sequel next year, but man, I WANNA CRASH CARS NOW!

.hacked

I was going to pass on this one, but then I saw a video of it on G4tv and it looked like fun. I might get it, if it is at GS when I pick up FMA 2 this week.

VALIS

Should be out now. Anyone pick it up? I'm hoping for a Pirates/Flatout/Flipnic trifecta when I hit EB later today or tomorrow, but I'm still a bit sketchy on this game.

Ironclad

All I have to say is, the commercials for this game are misearable. Such a lame piece of advertising. Can't comment on the game, I am not interested in it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i played it at a friends and i didnt think it was that bad actually. the mini games are pretty fun, but are pretty buggy. the dartboard one was probably our favorite, but it wasnt all that uncommon that the game wouldnt register points if your guy hit the board wrong.

VALIS

I've been playing it for a few days now.

Meh.

Would've been a nice pickup at $20, but I don't recommend anyone pay $40 or $50 for this. It's just low rent all over the place. The sounds are pathetic, the damage modeling is very basic, and the racing and destruction derby modes are just mediocre. The game's only saving grace are the mini games, but even most of those all have some irritating quirks. Put it this way, I probably played for 4 hours over the last two days, and about 3 hours and 15 minutes of that was spent playing the high jump mini-game. Burnout is mmmmuch better. So is the original Destruction Derby.

FightyF

Banned
I actually picked it up BECAUSE of the TV spot. :)

Graphically, it does a lot of things right (lighting, high res textures where it counts, and detailed models). Combined with the physics, it's a very realistic looking game.

The sounds are poor, and the music is average. There is no custom soundtrack option, and that is extremely dissappointing.

Controls are decent at best. You do lose a lot of speed when drifting, so it's far better to brake properly when turning, but on the other hand, you can drift when you have turbo because you use it to pull out of the turn at decent speeds. I found that the control wasn't as sensitive as it should be...as it only reacts after you press 20 degrees to the right or left. So it's hard to put in smooth steering inputs.

Tracks are a mixed bag. They have a good mix of turns, hills, dips, and chicanes. They are also populated with tire walls, pylons, chain fences, and wood fences. They are all movable, and so a tire wall is fully interactive. Crash into it, and tires spill all over the place, sometimes polluting the track (which complicates later laps). It looks great, and IMO it's an awesome unique feature of this racer. The problem with the tracks lies in the fact that there aren't many of them. There are 4 different scenarios, and I'm guessing each one has around 3 or 4 tracks based on them (think Ridge Racer, alternate paths created from the same city).

The biggest flaw I see is that they have a great physics engine, but the tracks don't really put it to use. I wish the tracks were far more hazardous, containing more jumps, dips, and obstructions (that you could use to push opponents into).

I also wish that it was a lot more like Destruction Derby, where you can knock cars out of commission. I can accept the fact that the developers wanted to do something else...but they didn't do much other than create a nice looking game with interesting physics and mediocre controls. There is a good amount of difficulty, which is great. But there is nothing making me want to play a track again for the 5th time, as it's not that exciting.

Top Bottom