• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AO Tennis 2 | Reveal Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Let the court be your playground!

#AOTennis2 will be available on 9 January 2020 on PC, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. The official video game of the Australia Open returns with an all-new career mode and many other enhancements.

In AO Tennis 2, tennis fans can take themselves from the outside courts to centre-stage glory in the all-new narrative-driven career mode. For the first time in AO Tennis, success for a young talented player depends as much on external events as great play on the court, which provides deeper immersion into the world of professional tennis.

Wasn't the last one trash or was that the other tennis game?
Was tricky.

The game had an extensive Day1 patch which lead to some reviewers giving fairly good reviews, while reviewers who didn't install that patch gave it extremely bad reviews. I only got to play it way later and it was okay but nowhere near as good as Top Spin 4.

Tomma19

Neo Member

New trailer- quite a few more players confirmed, many new updates and details to the career and immersion plus improvements to the animations and gameplay.

anthraticus

Banned
I like tennis games like Hot Shots or Smash Court 2, where you have to time it well, line it up and swing when the ball is right on you. Not ones where you have to start your swing soo early and then it goes ito this long canned animation, while it 'sucks' you towards the ball, basiclly removing the player control for the sake of 'looking realistic'.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How does it compare to Tennis Elbow 2013? Also if anyone's played the latest Tennis Elbow Manager game, is there a mode where you can just play tennis rather than manage, and how does that compare (I know you can choose to play the matches in management mode)?

Last edited:

Phase

Top Spin 2 was the last tennis game I really enjoyed. The animations were pretty good, very smooth, and graphics were good for the time. In college our tennis team would pool some money with winner taking it all. I love tennis, but it seems like every tennis game is made on some small budget with janky animations and graphics a gen old now.

Tomma19

Neo Member
Top Spin 2 was the last tennis game I really enjoyed. The animations were pretty good, very smooth, and graphics were good for the time. In college our tennis team would pool some money with winner taking it all. I love tennis, but it seems like every tennis game is made on some small budget with janky animations and graphics a gen old now.

Well this one certainly has strong graphics and they are adding hundreds of new animations.......

Phase

Well this one certainly has strong graphics and they are adding hundreds of new animations.......
Of course it's subjective, but I wouldn't call these graphics strong. And the animations in the trailer still look awkward compared to their actual strokes. To me it looks like another average tennis game, but I hope they prove me wrong. I'll be watching gameplay after it releases.

Tomma19

Neo Member
Of course it's subjective, but I wouldn't call these graphics strong. And the animations in the trailer still look awkward compared to their actual strokes. To me it looks like another average tennis game, but I hope they prove me wrong. I'll be watching gameplay after it releases.
But they don't look a generation old now, as you said. Tennis World Tour had that issue, but these are quite solid , if not strong in certain aspects. But the gameplay will be the pivotal point, let's see how much of an overhaul they've made to it.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I thought this was going to be BMX XXX for Tennis.

Mista

Banned
Give me Top Spin or Virtua Tennis for god’s sake. Mario Tennis Aces is the only game scratching my tennis itch with over 100 hours and two regional championships in my pocket

NT80

I like tennis games like Hot Shots or Smash Court 2, where you have to time it well, line it up and swing when the ball is right on you. Not ones where you have to start your swing soo early and then it goes ito this long canned animation, while it 'sucks' you towards the ball, basiclly removing the player control for the sake of 'looking realistic'.

i really liked Smash Court 2. It's the best I've played alongside Virtua Tennis 2. Both capture many key elements of actual tennis. Virtua Tennis 2 does have the hold button down system but the way it's done works there better than anywhere else I've seen. Depth and bounce are really important and if you hit the ball on top of the bounce you can generate full power without holding the button down long. You can position yourself in relation to the ball and get results in terms of angle or playing for your forehand/backhand.

Tomma19

Neo Member
i really liked Smash Court 2. It's the best I've played alongside Virtua Tennis 2. Both capture many key elements of actual tennis. Virtua Tennis 2 does have the hold button down system but the way it's done works there better than anywhere else I've seen. Depth and bounce are really important and if you hit the ball on top of the bounce you can generate full power without holding the button down long. You can position yourself in relation to the ball and get results in terms of angle or playing for your forehand/backhand.
Namco trademarked a new Smash Tennis a few months ago, so MAYBE just maybe we could be getting a new Smash Court game within the next year.

manutoo

Neo Member
How does it compare to Tennis Elbow 2013? Also if anyone's played the latest Tennis Elbow Manager game, is there a mode where you can just play tennis rather than manage, and how does that compare (I know you can choose to play the matches in management mode)?
In TEM2, you have the Training Club like in TE2013 where you can play tennis as you wish (ie: warm-up & exhibition match with players you have configured or imported from the World Tour).

Top Bottom