• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: In Turnaround, Ammon Bundy Denies Leading Refuge Occupiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/turnaround-bundy-denies-leading-refuge-occupiers-42632643

Under a brief, but rapid-fire cross-examination Thursday, Ammon Bundy denied leading the occupation of a national wildlife refuge and defended receiving a U.S. Small Business Administration loan.

Bundy, 41, who's on trial for conspiring to impede Interior Department workers from doing their jobs at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, was quickly reminded by Assistant U.S. Attorney Ethan Knight that he had earlier testified that he was the leader.

Bundy said he was not a leader in the way Knight considers him to be. The man who led followers to the refuge for the 41-day standoff with law enforcement said he teaches "core principles" to people and lets them govern themselves.

Those principles, spoken of in great detail during three days of testimony this week, include Bundy's belief that the federal government can't own land within a state's borders, except for limited purposes.

Earlier Thursday, Bundy was questioned by his own attorney and lawyers representing the other six people charged in the alleged conspiracy. One was his brother and co-defendant Ryan Bundy, who's acting as his own lawyer.

"How you doing, brother?" Ammon asked Ryan at the start of the testimony.

The pair discussed their relationship, from childhood to the start of the occupation. Ammon testified that the pair spoke by phone in the run up to the occupation, but never discussed the refuge or impeding federal workers.

Co-defendant Shawna Cox, also acting her own lawyer, briefly questioned Bundy. Lawyers for the other four defendants — Kenneth Medenbach, Jeff Banta, Neil Wampler and David Fry — asked questions designed to show they had only brief interactions with Bundy and were not involved in key decisions.
86fd56844eb23bb43586758537913f2de4aa3c6c66fd838667ce522b3cfcaa7e.jpg

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
He was simply queuing up for a fishing licence and was confused by the crowd which he assumed were in line ahead of him.

Bundy, 41, who's on trial for conspiring to impede Interior Department workers from doing their jobs at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge, was quickly reminded by Assistant U.S. Attorney Ethan Knight that he had earlier testified that he was the leader.

Bundy said he was not a leader in the way Knight considers him to be. The man who led followers to the refuge for the 41-day standoff with law enforcement said he teaches "core principles" to people and lets them govern themselves.

I mean, that's definitely an interesting approach, but I don't know if anyone will buy it.

its also such a cowardly cop out. its a cult leader saying "hey i just gave them the info i didnt force them to drink the kool-aid"

Right, that's particularly funny to me. 'Hey I just got these people really invested in this one idea, you can't blame me that they followed through on it. I thought they would treat it like a new years resolution.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom