• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: School districts rethink meal debt policies that shame kids

Wow. In both elementary and high school in Canada (Vancouver, specifically) lunch was always provided to students even if you couldn't afford it (it was heavily subsidized at something like $60 per month) you would just pay what you could contribute - including $0.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised about America anymore.

KSweeley

Kids here in the U.S. even get stamped when they don't have money:

gardendale-stamp-0bec23f03ba92575.jpg

" 'I need lunch money,' Alabama school stamps on child's arm"

I mean THIS country has kids starving. In THIS story.
Well, I doubt starving, but that kid missed a meal after an extremely exerting day (for a 4YO). But, yes, we tend to forget that our country has homeless and hungry people, too.

It pisses me off because I'm an American, and as an American, I want to be able to defend the country I live in. But how do you defend the indefensible? We've been fucking up so much for such a long time.

rpmurphy

I should expect my taxes to go to feeding schoolkids whose families need the assistance. But there are people here who think that kids getting free lunches at school is taking advantage of the welfare system.

Speevy

Banned
This s disgusting. We're a free school, but you guys can be assured that many teachers (this one, at least) have food in their room for hungry students.

Christ, throwing away food in front of kids, how cruel.

When I was in school, kids who didn't have money were at least given a carton of plain milk and 2 pieces of bread and a slice cheese. It barely constituted as a meal, but at least they were getting something and not being denied food.

StoneFox

I was stamped as a kid. I would have thought this practice would have gone away by now, but I guess not. Even as a kid I knew it didn't make sense, but they would let kids go all the way through the lunch line (because we all had to line up) and it wasn't until the end of the line where the lunch lady would tell you if you had the lunch money to pay for it. Usually when you were about a week's worth away from $0 they would start stamping your hand, but some kids just walked through the line without getting anything because they already knew.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Wrong.

We can't ask a coal minor to pay for some kids lunch. We can ask them for defense, and we will, but forcing them to pay for food is completely out of line.

I literally don't understand what you're saying if this isn't satire.

Kids here in the U.S. even get stamped when they don't have money:

gardendale-stamp-0bec23f03ba92575.jpg

" 'I need lunch money,' Alabama school stamps on child's arm"

This is literally the entire point of the thread.

B.K.

When I was a kid, I was on free lunch. I can't think of anyone that actually did have to pay, unless they got extra food. It's a stupid policy, no matter what. Breakfast and lunch should be free to all kids in public schools.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
“The cash register woman says to this 4-year-old girl, verbatim, ’You have no money,’” said Holt, describing the incident last year. A milk carton was taken away, and the girl’s food was dumped in the trash. “She did not protest, other than to walk away in tears.”

What the fuck .. what kind of sick twisted point does THROWING THE FOOD AWAY instead of giving it to a 4 year old serve ?

Humanity is going to the shitter at warp speed.

Probably something about people not wanting to pay taxes.

I've heard that kids in France get super nice meals with milk, fresh fruit, cheese, and stuff that's actually made by cooks instead of weird frozen shit. It sounds great, and it's all paid for by (admittedly high) tax dollars. I doubt that would fly in the US, since people seem very locked in on the whole idea about wanting to pay for services that very strictly benefit only themselves, and that anyone who can't do the same should go fuck off and die.

Here in France it's actually spread out by how wealthy you are. (I'll take Paris as an exemple since it's the system I know.)

You have 10 income based groups with the lowest being 0.13€ per meal and the highest paying 7€ per meal.

So the poorest will have to pay about 23€ yearly for school meals whereas the richest (family earning more then 15K a month) will have to pay about 800€ yearly.

KSweeley

NYT reports that shaming the child is an attempt to get the parent of said child to pay up for the child to get meals at the school: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/well/family/lunch-shaming-children-parents-school-bills.html

Shaming Children So Parents Will Pay the School Lunch Bill
APRIL 30, 2017

On the first day of seventh grade last fall, Caitlin Dolan lined up for lunch at her school in Canonsburg, Pa. But when the cashier discovered she had an unpaid food bill from last year, the tray of pizza, cucumber slices, an apple and chocolate milk was thrown in the trash.

”I was so embarrassed," said Caitlin, who said other students had stared. ”It's really weird being denied food in front of everyone. They all talk about you."

Caitlin's mother, Merinda Durila, said that her daughter qualified for free lunch, but that a paperwork mix-up had created an outstanding balance. Ms. Durila said her child had come home in tears after being humiliated in front of her friends.

Holding children publicly accountable for unpaid school lunch bills — by throwing away their food, providing a less desirable alternative lunch or branding them with markers — is often referred to as ”lunch shaming."

The practice is widespread — a 2014 report from the Department of Agriculture found that nearly half of all districts used some form of shaming to compel parents to pay bills. (About 45 percent withheld the hot meal and gave a cold sandwich, while 3 percent denied food entirely.)

A Pennsylvania cafeteria worker posted on Facebook that she had quit after being forced to take lunch from a child with an unpaid bill. In Alabama, a child was stamped on the arm with ”I Need Lunch Money." On one day, a Utah elementary school threw away the lunches of about 40 students with unpaid food bills.

Hazmat

Wow. In both elementary and high school in Canada (Vancouver, specifically) lunch was always provided to students even if you couldn't afford it (it was heavily subsidized at something like $60 per month) you would just pay what you could contribute - including $0.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised about America anymore.

Lunch (and maybe breakfast, it depends on the area) is free or heavily discounted for kids whose families can't afford it, but the parents need to fill out some forms. The lunches should be free for everyone (like the teachers, textbooks, and transportation are), but in some of these cases the parents are fucking up as well as our schools/society.

But, we all remember at the Sermon on the Mount, when Jesus was passing out the loaves and fishes but that one kid's parents didn't give him $2.25 that morning so Christ told him to fuck off.

How heartless can a person be, to throw away food in front of a hungry, unfortunate child?

"Schools have the best interests of kids in mind," my ass.

Kevin

America has been sucked dry of love, compassion and resources. If you are not a one percenter then this country is not for you and gives no shit about you. You don't matter if you don't have a lot of money.

The majority of America is being left to rot and decay into nothing in service of the wealthy who WANT MORE MONEY. They won't be happy until they take everything from you and then? They still won't be happy and will invent new ways to take even more from you.

Something similar happened to me as a kid.

My account was empty and I didn't have cash. They took the lunch I had on my tray, threw it away, announced pretty loudly that if my account was empty, I wasn't going to get a hot lunch, and replaced what they threw away with the exact same food but unheated.

At least I got to eat but it was pretty shitty.

Not surprised in the least that shitty behavior like this still happens in schools. Our priorities are so fucked.

Something similar happened to me as a kid.

My account was empty and I didn't have cash. They took the lunch I had on my tray, threw it away, announced pretty loudly that if my account was empty, I wasn't going to get a hot lunch, and replaced what they threw away with the exact same food but unheated.

At least I got to eat but it was pretty shitty.

Not surprised in the least that shitty behavior like this still happens in schools. Our priorities are so fucked.

At least you got to eat. Didn't have money? Too bad no food.

BriGuy

Their lives are precious until the moment they're born. Then their deadbeat asses better get a job and pay up.

Bakercat

I'm on the side of free lunches for everyone. I mean, if the government can force your child to go to their government building to stay for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, you'd think they could at the very least pay to feed them while they do it. Thankfully I learned that this coming school year at my old school system they are now giving free lunches to all students. I remember as a kid getting free lunches because I lived in poverty. One year my mom made a little to much and they started making me pay for lunches again. It was very hard and sad watching my mom going through and digging in her purse for enough change so my sister and I could eat that day. We barley had enough money to eat at home let alone eat at school. I also always hated the days when the school favorite foods would be on menu because everyone would talk about how much extra they would get of it and I got made fun of when I could barley afford one serving. I also got made fun of and hated when kids would find out that I could get free lunches with them saying it's not fair or that I'm to poor lol. I learned pretty quick to keep my mouth shut when I could. It was always awkward at the checkout computer because you would always see kids have to give money or have their balance told to them when they came up. When I came up other kids would notice that my balance wasn't told to me and that one the screen it would say I have a balance of zero and that lunch popped up as free. I'd look back and all the kids would give me a death stare at me. In high school I convinced one of my teachers to let me leave a little early to get food before other students and go eat in a classroom. Ah, good times.

Take 1% of our defense budget and feed these children, fucking country is really pissing me off. Have some fucking compassion.

commedieu

Banned
Why do Americans go so batshit crazy when you suggest increasing taxes on the superwealthy to pay for programs that mean children eat?

This world is getting progressively worse.

Delusional.

A lot of dirt poor Americans (45%?) Of the population worship the wealthy as they want to be then one day. So.. they're just thinking ahead. Which is why the country despises poor. Self hating too.

This is why I hate being such an angry person. Stuff like this just infuriates me and I can just feel the years being shaved off my life.

How can you let a kid go without food on top of throwing it away. What's the good in throwing the food away? That is mind blowing. If I worked in the cafeteria for that school system, I'd be fired within my first hour of serving food.

Some people have no fucking souls, shit like this makes me angry and helpless. I wanna just tell the IRS take all of my taxes and feed these children first.

riotous

Banned
I see your note, but I disagree with the logic.

I don't agree with the logic either; I'm just saying, they do at least claim to have that logic. It's similar to their excuse for cutting social programs; "giving things away stops people from trying for it."

In the end, do they themselves even believe their own claims? I don't know; it's quite possible many don't, and just use their "logic": as an excuse to be an asshole.

I believe like you do that the logic is self-defeating. All it does is alienate people and upset them, and make them not want to participate in your system.

Caayn

You Americans are insane. You voluntarily spend hundreds of billions on defense but completely neglect to invest in the future generation of your country.

Schnozberry

New Mexico just passed a law that requires school districts to deal with parents only on this issue, and to let kids have the normal hot lunch as well. Seems like it's catching on. Houston and Austin both recently adopted it at the district level. Minnesota also passed a law this past session that goes into effect in time for the next school year. There's also a number of charities popping up that are wiping out lunch debts and helping parents get their paperwork figured out for free and reduced lunch. So there is some positive movement on the subject.

Honestly, many of these districts have the money to take care of this already, but they prioritize profitable ventures like athletics and overpaying senior administrative staff rather than making sure kids get fed..

Schnozberry

You Americans are insane. You voluntarily spend hundreds of billions on defense but completely neglect to invest in the future generation of your country.

The US spends more on education per student than most nations. It's just that our education spending priorities are completely backwards. The bureaucratic overhead is staggering.

I went to school in the seattle area, and if you didn't have lunch they gave you a PBJ sandwich, an apple and a drink. Mind you this was 15-20 years ago, but it was better than nothing. Better than being fucked shamed for not having lunch.

Trouble

Banned
I went to school in the seattle area, and if you didn't have lunch they gave you a PBJ sandwich, an apple and a drink. Mind you his was 15-20 years ago, but it was better than nothing. Better than being fucked shamed for not having lunch.

It's still shaming though. Giving kids a different meal that obviously demarcates them as poor is humiliating. Some kids will simply skip lunch to avoid that.

It's still shaming though. Giving kids a different meal that obviously demarcates them as poor is humiliating. Some kids will simply skip lunch to avoid that.

there was no "standard" lunch so to speak a my high school. you picked what kind of junk food you wanted (pizza, french fries etc)

Edit: and for what it' worth, I grew up poor and my parents tried to have something for lunch when they could and there were days that I ended up going for the PBJ. None of my friends gave a shit and I wasn't going to go hungry for the rest of the day.

There were a handful of times when I went through the lunch line without money, and each time the cash register lady would just wave me through. I may have gotten a "I'll let you go THIS time.." once, but just going up and saying "I have no money" alone made me feel terrible. I can't believe there are schools that take it so far as to throw the food away. Even back in the 90s, my poor school where over half the student body was on reduced/free lunch had cash registers advanced enough that they could log if you owed money so you could eat that day.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
In my county, around half of the students were on free or reduced lunch (I come from rural central Virginia), and I swear to God, they would slap some of the relatively better off students like myself with balances that we needed to pay off to compensate on top of us already having to pay the full $1.80 for lunch. I say this with no definitive proof, but by the end of the year, I somehow owed around $10 to the school despite me never charging my food balance.

Wait, wait, wait. Kids are denied food and go hungry in schools? What is this the Victorian age? Isn't this actually criminal? Isn't it child abuse? Whoever thinks this is fine and swell should be locked up and denied food.

Kieli

Isn't being poor punishment enough? Fucking hell... the mindset of Americans never ceases to amaze me. I'm a grown ass man and I'm still surprised day by day.

Where's your empathy? Does it only stretch so far?

Let me clarify, I wasn't thinking of poor parents when I made that comment. I was thinking of lazy parents who didn't bother paying the bills because they forgot or something like that.

Lol, fuck you.

The same shit happened to me when I was younger, so you suggest punishing my parents despite them being hard working people?

See above.

Why throw them away....

The logic is if you give the food free to one kid, the kids behind that kid will start saying "I don't want to pay either!." Typical American mindset of never being happy or empathetic for people who are struggling and finally getting some help.

And they can't reuse the food because kids are gross and will easily contaminate food in the brief period between receiving the food and making it to the register.

night814

This is mostly a problem with taxes and how they are used by individual school districts. Taxes should be going directly to a cause like this as opposed to handing school districts the money and they get to buy iPads or use it to do unnecessary remodeling like a new football field when they have one that operates fine. We have this problem right now in the school district I went too where they were over budget by 10 million dollars but at the same time were discussing a new football field paid by the county, completely backwards priorities.

I was a free lunch kid in elementary, which honestly bugged me but there wasn't much choice in the matter.

I do remember that one year I saved up so I could pay myself and they wouldn't take my damn money (can't remember the reason for this). I wasn't about to make a scene though.

High school was a bit different.

Ambient80

There should be free lunch and breakfast at school, no questions asked. I grew up in West Virginia in the 1970's, and we had free or reduced prices for poor kids. And there was shame attached to even that, which makes me sad now. Poor kids shaming poorer kids, smh. Just make it free for everyone. The better-off kids will ignore it, and everyone can make fun of the "mystery meat," although honestly I am impressed with my memory of those meals.

Yep, I also grew up in WV in the 80's and 90's. At least at our school, they made kids who didn't have a good balance on their lunch account go to the back of the line, and they had to stand there and sign a bunch of stuff, and they made the KID call their parents to tell them, and I don't think they were allowed to eat, or were only given like a cheese sandwich or crackers or something.

Anyway, the policy changed after my mom, with a few other parents, came to school one day and raised absolute hell. I had to call my mom earlier in the week for the first time because she had simply been maybe a week late on paying the bill. She was piiiiiiissed they didn't give me lunch especially since it was the only time it ever happened. I heard them all yelling in the office and a week or two later they stopped doing it. It's pathetic that it came to that in order for kids to get lunch. Nowadays if parents did that they'd probably be arrested or something.

jdstorm

Banned
This seems insane. I get most schools are just trying their best but...

How hard is it to get parents to pay in advance what they think lunch should be worth and then just make a buffet that can be split between everyone.

Then if you want to further "Monetise" the more well off students just have vending machines for unhealthy food.

Mik2121

Man, reading this and so many other things, the US seems like such a sad place to live in if you don't have a pretty good income. Yikes... :/

“The cash register woman says to this 4-year-old girl, verbatim, ’You have no money,’” said Holt, describing the incident last year. A milk carton was taken away, and the girl’s food was dumped in the trash. “She did not protest, other than to walk away in tears.”

A 4-year-old?

If a lunch room lady did that to my kid, she would be in the trashcan right next to the discarded lunch.

I would happily spend some time in jail for that.

WillyFive

Let me clarify, I wasn't thinking of poor parents when I made that comment. I was thinking of lazy parents who didn't bother paying the bills because they forgot or something like that.

I can't imagine those are very common. That's what news sites like Fox News try to paint poor people as; people that somehow just forgot to pay for things.

Top Bottom