• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: School districts rethink meal debt policies that shame kids

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Had this happen a couple of times. They'd single me out, take my lunch, throw it in the trash, and hand me two slices of bread and cheese. My parents were pissed.

It saddens me to think about how much food gets wasted similarly to this around the U.S.

Raptomex

So they dump the food in front of the kid and put a stamp on their hand to shame them? What the fuck?

What fucking year is it again?
Yeah, seriously. If that was my kid I would have marched down to that school and ripped them a new one.

Madness

A little less foreign military aid and increases to the US budget and a little more free lunches for all school children under the age of 13. High school I can understsnd no free lunches, people old enough to work at 16, or go off campus or can cook their own, but anyone under 13 and elementary and whatnot should get a free and hearty lunch. Helps promote learning, could even help offset lack of food at home.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I don't understand why lunch isn't free to the students..

When I went to public school no one paid for lunch. We all ate the same things, just stood in line. Got our food with a bag of milk and that was that. Some kids brought their own lunch. Most did not. I went to school in Puerto Rico. Why is it different in the mainland?

Dingens

what sick fuck would even dream of shaming kids because they're poor and can't afford food?
The fuck is wrong with you murrica? Srsly, go stand in the corner and think about what you have done.

KSweeley

what sick fuck would even dream of shaming kids because they're poor and can't afford food?
The fuck is wrong with you murrica? Srsly, go stand in the corner and think about what you have done.

The NYT earlier in 2017 actually published an article stating that the whole concept of shaming the kids is an attempt by the school to get the parents of said kid to pay up so the kid can have food: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/30/well/family/lunch-shaming-children-parents-school-bills.html

jts

...hate me...
Reading that broke me.

Schools shouldn't even be a thing if they can't organise themselves into feeding their children without giving them ANY burden for it.

Be it with tax money, parents money beforehand, or whatever. Food is essential. Can't guarantee food, why the fuck does the school exist in the first place. Clearly there was money for that building, teachers, staff, materials and whatnot. Fucked up that food for the children isn't included in the budget.

Adults are disgraceful fucks.

Top Bottom