• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple has again emerged victorious in its legal battle with Epic Games

kikkis

Did you read the anti trust documents and fail to understand them?
Android does NOT matter for the EU´s case - as I have already mentioned!
Android is no competitor in the "iOS market" which is what the EU regulators looked at.
Spotify for example complained that Apple has different rules for Apple music - giving it an unfair advantage in the iOS market.

You saying - well buy an Android phone then, is not an argument the regulators will care about!
They are looking at the iOS app market - and nothing else! Is that so hard to understand?
Thats like saying walmart has monopoly inside walmart store.

ScHlAuChi

Thats like saying walmart has monopoly inside walmart store.
Walmart is a store, not a platform holder.
In your example if Walmart was like Apple, and you bought anything there, you would only be able to use that stuff within Walmart and nowhere else!
And Walmart would stll own all the things you bought and tell you what you can do with it and what you cant!

If you bought 100s of iOS apps, you are locked into the platform, you cant return the apps, resell them or take them with you to a competitor.

Last edited:
Sony has created the most popular gaming system, which is a walled garden.
Do you think MS should be able to force Sony to allow Gamepass on the PS without having to pay them 30% of their revenue?

diffusionx

Gold Member
In your example if Walmart was like Apple, and you bought anything there, you would only be able to use that stuff within Walmart and nowhere else!
And Walmart would stll own all the things you bought and tell you what you can do with it and what you cant!

If you bought 100s of iOS apps, you are locked into the platform, you cant return the apps, resell them or take them with you to a competitor.
So if I bought 100s of Xbox games, is the fact that I can't play them on PlayStation a problem? After all, Microsoft is the sole owner of the "Xbox market".

ScHlAuChi

So if I bought 100s of Xbox games, is the fact that I can't play them on PlayStation a problem? After all, Microsoft is the sole owner of the "Xbox market".
If enough companies/competitors think they get treated unfairly by Sony/MS/Nintendo and complain about the platform holder then its possible they get looked at.
However, unlike Apple & Co the chance of that is very low, as unlike mobile phones and computers, consoles are not deemed "general-purpose computing devices" as per EU regulation.
General-purpose computing devices are devices that you can use to browse the internet, do online banking, everyday things etc, which consoles are not - therefore different rules apply.

demigod

Did you read the anti trust documents and fail to understand them?
Android does NOT matter for the EU´s case - as I have already mentioned!
Android is no competitor in the "iOS market" which is what the EU regulators looked at.
Spotify for example complained that Apple has different rules for Apple music giving it an unfair advantage over Spotify in the iOS market.

You saying - well buy an Android phone then, is not an argument the regulators will care about, as it does not fix the competition problem!
They are looking at the iOS app market - and nothing else! Is that so hard to understand?
You can side load apps on Android, you cannot do it on iOS. Do you think Apple will allow devs to publish their apps on the AppStore and not pay any fees at all? Do you think AWS are hosting PlayStation Plus games for free?

ScHlAuChi

You can side load apps on Android, you cannot do it on iOS.
Currently no, but it will happen once competitor stores are allowed in 2024.

Do you think Apple will allow devs to publish their apps on the AppStore and not pay any fees at all?
Nope Apple will not allow that, but thats exactly where competitor stores come into play.
Competitor stores might not have fees or have lower prices, therefore pressuring Apple to lower it themselves or lose customers to the competition.

Do you think AWS are hosting PlayStation Plus games for free?
Has nothing to do with the case against Apple.
If you open a competitor store, you obviously also get your own hosting, and not use Apples.

Last edited:

demigod

Currently no, but it will happen once competitor stores are allowed in 2024.

Nope Apple will not allow that, but thats exactly where competitor stores come into play.
Competitor stores might not have fees or have lower prices, therefore pressuring Apple to lower it themselves or lose customers to the competition.

Has nothing to do with the case against Apple.
If you open a competitor store, you obviously also get your own hosting, and not use Apples.
Uhh this is exactly what it is. Epic tried to make their own “store” inside Apple’s so they got kicked off. Ain’t gunna happen.

Lasha

Uhh this is exactly what it is. Epic tried to make their own “store” inside Apple’s so they got kicked off. Ain’t gunna happen.

The EU passed a law called the Digital Markets Act which will require Apple to let Epic or anybody open their own app stores or use their own payment services within apps in Europe. Its not speculation. Apple has to comply in the same way that iPhones in Europe are moving to USB-C.

mdkirby

In the end it's probably not going to matter considering the EU's digital marketing act. It's only a matter of time before Apple has to loosen its grip on the iOS app ecosystem.
Yeah they’ll need to make changes by the end of the year, I just hope that competing with other stores encourages them reduce their 30% take, even reducing it to 20% would be nice. The savings would be a nice profit bump or can be redirected into marketing (which has grown ever more expensive after apples cynical privacy changes)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
let them fight fighting GIF

phil_t98

#SonyToo
end of the day epic signed the contract and were happy to rap the benefits of that contract, their game got huge and they wanted to change the contracts. if they were happy to have the game on there then they should honour what they agreed to

reksveks

Epic has taken this as far as they can. The implementation of the removal of the antisteering judgment will be interesting to see.

I think Epic (and others) will have to wait for regulators or legislation to push the changes that they want.

kuncol02

Banned
Do you think MS should be able to force Sony to allow Gamepass on the PS without having to pay them 30% of their revenue?
Yes, and that's how it will end in EU in some years. They can argue all they want that they are not general purpose devices, but that will not mater at all.
Whole console bussines model is based on luring clients into ecosystem where one company has monopoly on all transactions and keeping them there. In times when software was bought in physical stores that could be ignored as there was still competition between stores which could cut their own margins to compete and there also was used software market which also was competition for official channels. With digital sales being more important with every year it's becoming more obvious that bussines model need to be killed.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

you mean like buying on the PS store or xbox store?

reksveks

Yes, and that's how it will end in EU in some years. They can argue all they want that they are not general purpose devices, but that will not mater at all.
Whole console bussines model is based on luring clients into ecosystem where one company has monopoly on all transactions and keeping them there. In times when software was bought in physical stores that could be ignored as there was still competition between stores which could cut their own margins to compete and there also was used software market which also was competition for official channels. With digital sales being more important with every year it's becoming more obvious that bussines model need to be killed.

The DMA doesn't go by device definition btw, think they dodged that bullet.

Bad formatting below for the key factors.

Key criterion: core platform service
Articles 2 and 3 of the DMA (note that all references are to the 6 July 2022 version of the DMA unless otherwise stated) contain the elements that make up the definition of a gatekeeper. According to Article 2, gatekeepers are undertakings (a concept well known in competition law) that provide a “core platform service” and which are designated as gatekeepers under Article 3. Article 2(2) provides an exhaustive list of the core platform services:

(i) online intermediation services
(ii) online search engines
(iv) video sharing platform services
(v) number-independent interpersonal electronic communication services
(vi) operating systems
(vii) web browsers
(viii) virtual assistants
(ix) cloud computing services; and
(x) online advertising services including any advertising networks, advertising exchanges and any other advertising intermediation services provided by an undertaking providing any of the core platform services listed in i. to xi.

There is additional requirements

• The potential gatekeeper has to have a significant impact on the EU internal market. This criterion is presumed to be met when the undertaking (as a group) has achieved EU turnover of over €7.5 billion in the last three financial years. Or, alternatively, the undertaking has reached an equivalent fair market value of at least €75 billion in the last financial year, and it provides the same core platform service in at least three EU Member States.
  • The core platform service provided by the undertaking has to serve as an important gateway for business users to reach end users. This is presumed to be the case where the relevant undertaking has more than 45 million monthly active end users established or located in the Union and more than 10.000 yearly active business users established in the Union in the last financial year. Monthly active end users means the average number of monthly active end users throughout the largest part of the last financial year.
  • Third, the undertaking needs to enjoy an entrenched and durable position in its operations or it is foreseeable that it will enjoy such a position in the near future. This requirement is presumed to be met if the user number thresholds above have been met in each of the last three financial years

Whether the consoles get to this number, not sure but yeah, it could apply to consoles if they get big enough.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I don't understand the PS/XBOX argument, if there was a game you were REQUIRED to buy on the PS store, or XBOX store, then sure, that'd make sense. As it is though, you can (to my knowledge) buy a key for the game from pretty much anywhere you want.

Sure, the software is still locked to that device, but that's not the point. You're not forced to buy it in the manufacturers marketplace, like you are with IOS.

The EU is right, that shit is annoying, and it needs to stop. Epic sucks too, for the record, but they're right. Sideloading, or buying apps from a third party store should absolutely be allowed.

I assume Apple charges for dev tools / dev kits / whatever. That's how they make their cut then. And they can keep their 30% of anyone who's worried about 'muh viruses' - while still allowing other folks who are a bit more tech savvy to do what they want.

At the end of the day, I think if you're unhappy with the option to let people sideload apps / buy stuff from somewhere else, you're misguided.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
There has a been a lot of android malware in the past few years. Something iPhones have a lot less of.

If you don’t like iPhones for whatever reason that’s fine but don’t pretend to be outraged or concerned. I’d rather have a more secure environment on my phone than complain about gaming on it…. something all of you say you never do anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
My dream of seeing them both lose is gone...
svej4.gif
Maybe not completely, Apple may have to make some concessions that will (somewhat) open the door for developers.

In theory, as is the case with some 'Reader Apps' now, developers will be able to allow external links to websites to perhaps take money for services. I expect Apple to fight that though, or make the App Store rules and user experience more prohibitive that lots won't bother implementing it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I don't understand the PS/XBOX argument, if there was a game you were REQUIRED to buy on the PS store, or XBOX store, then sure, that'd make sense. As it is though, you can (to my knowledge) buy a key for the game from pretty much anywhere you want.

Sure, the software is still locked to that device, but that's not the point. You're not forced to buy it in the manufacturers marketplace, like you are with IOS.

The EU is right, that shit is annoying, and it needs to stop. Epic sucks too, for the record, but they're right. Sideloading, or buying apps from a third party store should absolutely be allowed.

I assume Apple charges for dev tools / dev kits / whatever. That's how they make their cut then. And they can keep their 30% of anyone who's worried about 'muh viruses' - while still allowing other folks who are a bit more tech savvy to do what they want.

At the end of the day, I think if you're unhappy with the option to let people sideload apps / buy stuff from somewhere else, you're misguided.

you can buy prepaid apple credit from assorts of places at cheaper prices to so its the same thing as buying keys

supernova8

Banned
No, really, don't buy iphones. Or macs. Most of their sales strategy just revolves around branding, aka tricking you into thinking their products are worth the high prices they charge for.[/ISPOILER]

I disagree. I'd say iPhones and Macs (or specifically Macbooks) are worth buying even if you end up paying more for ostensibly worse hardware.

Just look at how amazing the camera on iPhones have been for years. For instance, if you want a high quality smartphone camera that can realistically match an iPhone camera (especially when it comes to video), you're not far off paying iPhone prices anyway. None of those cheaper Chinese brand smartphones have cameras as good as they claim to be. They typically have shit software despite touting a 4 gazillion megapixel sensor, which results in shit photo and video performance.

Plus, I've had plenty of janky-as-fuck (JAF) android smartphones over the years and yet never had any major issues with an iPhone, except for one iPhone 6S which I had for many years before it slowly died. If I'd swapped out the battery before it started playing up, I'd probably still be using it now (I ended up getting a 14 Pro).

On the laptop side, I've only ever been able to tolerate Macs because Windows laptops always either shit battery life or terrible fan noise. You basically pick one (sometimes you can't pick either). My 2015 Macbook Air (11 inch) is still going strong. I can still get about 7-8 hours out of it and still doesn't get hot, that's more than you can say for a lot of laptops releasing in 2023.

The other point to mention is that iPhones and Macbooks tend to hold their value quite well (a bit like Nintendo games), so you can sort of trade up for a relatively low price. Not always the case with the deluge of Windows laptops flooding the market (many of which are absolute garbage).

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I disagree. I'd say iPhones and Macs (or specifically Macbooks) are worth buying even if you end up paying more for ostensibly worse hardware.

Just look at how amazing the camera on iPhones have been for years. For instance, if you want a high quality smartphone camera that can realistically match an iPhone camera (especially when it comes to video), you're not far off paying iPhone prices anyway. None of those cheaper Chinese brand smartphones have cameras as good as they claim to be. They typically have shit software despite touting a 4 gazillion megapixel sensor, which results in shit photo and video performance.

Plus, I've had plenty of janky-as-fuck (JAF) android smartphones over the years and yet never had any major issues with an iPhone, except for one iPhone 6S which I had for many years before it slowly died. If I'd swapped out the battery before it started playing up, I'd probably still be using it now (I ended up getting a 14 Pro).

On the laptop side, I've only ever been able to tolerate Macs because Windows laptops always either shit battery life or terrible fan noise. You basically pick one (sometimes you can't pick either). My 2015 Macbook Air (11 inch) is still going strong. I can still get about 7-8 hours out of it and still doesn't get hot, that's more than you can say for a lot of laptops releasing in 2023.

The other point to mention is that iPhones and Macbooks tend to hold their value quite well (a bit like Nintendo games), so you can sort of trade up for a relatively low price. Not always the case with the deluge of Windows laptops flooding the market (many of which are absolute garbage).
I kind of agree with this, except I'd say Pixel photos often come out better than those on the iPhone, however then it comes down to which OS you prefer. I go with Pixels as I like to be able to install any App I want, but that's why I'm also happy to use a Mac. If Apple opened up the iPhone in the same way the Mac is then I'd buy an iPhone next time around (especially if they start using USB-C as standard).

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’ve always had my macs go out of support before they actually went out of usefulness. Never had one die either.
🤷‍♂️

Lasha

There has a been a lot of android malware in the past few years. Something iPhones have a lot less of.

If you don’t like iPhones for whatever reason that’s fine but don’t pretend to be outraged or concerned. I’d rather have a more secure environment on my phone than complain about gaming on it…. something all of you say you never do anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Allowing side-loading does not impact the security of your mobile environment though.

RavenSan

you can buy prepaid apple credit from assorts of places at cheaper prices to so its the same thing as buying keys
Eh, that's close, but still not quite the same. You're still just buying the opportunity to spend Apple points on a product, meaning the product itself is still only available to buy from one store.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Eh, that's close, but still not quite the same. You're still just buying the opportunity to spend Apple points on a product, meaning the product itself is still only available to buy from one store.

but the same products are available on android store

RavenSan

but the same products are available on android store
Correct, and if I were to want the app on an Android device, I could use the play store, amazon app store, the maker of the app directly (if they offer it), f-droid, apkmirror, etc etc.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Correct, and if I were to want the app on an Android device, I could use the play store, amazon app store, the maker of the app directly (if they offer it), f-droid, apkmirror, etc etc.

so you have choice, apple and all the other stores on android. simple as that. apples terms and conditions were signed off by epic and they want to break them. not everything has to be the same, if you don't like apple then keep with android and multiple store fronts.

supernova8

Banned
I kind of agree with this, except I'd say Pixel photos often come out better than those on the iPhone, however then it comes down to which OS you prefer. I go with Pixels as I like to be able to install any App I want, but that's why I'm also happy to use a Mac. If Apple opened up the iPhone in the same way the Mac is then I'd buy an iPhone next time around (especially if they start using USB-C as standard).

You're right I do probably just like the iOS experience more than any Android device I've ever owned. Plus, one dealbreaker for me is the no-nonsense native "Stocks" app on iOS. Is there anything like that for Android? There are lots of stock market tracker apps but they were all just bloated to shit and were not enjoyable to use at all.

RavenSan

so you have choice, apple and all the other stores on android. simple as that. apples terms and conditions were signed off by epic and they want to break them. not everything has to be the same, if you don't like apple then keep with android and multiple store fronts.

I wasn't siding with Epic at all, even in my original post, I said the EU had it right. Epic agreed to the terms and then tried to pull a fast one. Epic is in the wrong, for sure. The EU just looked at it and went 'nah, that IS wrong' and took steps to correct it.

No one in this thread, to my knowledge, has offered a reasonable answer as to why the option to sideload or use other stores is a bad idea. It's not forcing you to do that if you're comfortable still just using the app store. Is it because you're worried that if devs have the choice, they'd bypass Apple store completely and force you to get their app a secondary way? If that's the case, then the argument of 'it's available, and you have the choice to get it or not' is up to you, and seems like the same argument pro app-store only. You have the option.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I wasn't siding with Epic at all, even in my original post, I said the EU had it right. Epic agreed to the terms and then tried to pull a fast one. Epic is in the wrong, for sure. The EU just looked at it and went 'nah, that IS wrong' and took steps to correct it.

No one in this thread, to my knowledge, has offered a reasonable answer as to why the option to sideload or use other stores is a bad idea. It's not forcing you to do that if you're comfortable still just using the app store. Is it because you're worried that if devs have the choice, they'd bypass Apple store completely and force you to get their app a secondary way? If that's the case, then the argument of 'it's available, and you have the choice to get it or not' is up to you, and seems like the same argument pro app-store only. You have the option.

well if you side load then it opens up the operating system to viruses and malware, things like that. also with having an App Store like apple it guarantees the quality of the content on there, standards are met. the question could be raised in future why can't we side load on consoles next? its a similar type of store.

RavenSan

well if you side load then it opens up the operating system to viruses and malware, things like that. also with having an App Store like apple it guarantees the quality of the content on there, standards are met. the question could be raised in future why can't we side load on consoles next? its a similar type of store.
Right, but if YOU don't sideload, than it's no risk to you, correct? So If you're on your iPhone, and you never sideload, and there's no risk to you because you don't, why does it matter if someone else does? And security settings isn't a great argument considering that's why they lock down root access, and protect/segment filesystem stuff away. Also, there have been apps in the app store that were compromised (XCodeGhost probably being the biggest) -- so while I do concede that it's BETTER on the app store, it's certainly not perfect.

And again, the console argument doesn't particularly hold water, because I can buy the product wherever I want on a console, directly. Not a card with MS/Sony bucks that are only useable on the MS/Sony store, and would still require any dev to contribute whatever additional cut of the revenue was required.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Right, but if YOU don't sideload, than it's no risk to you, correct? So If you're on your iPhone, and you never sideload, and there's no risk to you because you don't, why does it matter if someone else does? And security settings isn't a great argument considering that's why they lock down root access, and protect/segment filesystem stuff away. Also, there have been apps in the app store that were compromised (XCodeGhost probably being the biggest) -- so while I do concede that it's BETTER on the app store, it's certainly not perfect.

And again, the console argument doesn't particularly hold water, because I can buy the product wherever I want on a console, directly. Not a card with MS/Sony bucks that are only useable on the MS/Sony store, and would still require any dev to contribute whatever additional cut of the revenue was required.

can you buy codes for digital PS games? I think you can only buy cards for that

Microsoft you can buy codes but Microsoft issue the code so its pretty much the same as buying an apply gift card from a retailer.

as for side loading of games/software yes its the users choice. at the moment they have that choice buy buying hardware that does that, if you want those abilities buy a top end android phone.

as for security settings, we are seeing more and more how nations are trying to get peoples data and things, look at the whole debate about TikTok, with side loading it opens up even more to that type of thing. you saying that isn't a concern?

as for apps being compromised it will always happen but on a small scale on App Store where as side loading of assorts will get even more

RavenSan

as for side loading of games/software yes its the users choice. at the moment they have that choice buy buying hardware that does that, if you want those abilities buy a top end android phone.
I'll ask again, why do YOU care what someone ELSE does with THEIR iPhone if this is allowed. Why should everyone be locked down or change their phone of choice for a feature that would be entirely optional if it were implemented? How does their choice to use their phone a different way affect you at all?

That's the part that baffles me. Talking about consoles or any other product isn't addressing the core issue. There are plenty of other things that work this way that I don't like, and think should change (see: John Deere and their bullshit repair practices) -- I'm not just picking on Apple here.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'll ask again, why do YOU care what someone ELSE does with THEIR iPhone if this is allowed. Why should everyone be locked down or change their phone of choice for a feature that would be entirely optional if it were implemented? How does their choice to use their phone a different way affect you at all?

That's the part that baffles me. Talking about consoles or any other product isn't addressing the core issue. There are plenty of other things that work this way that I don't like, and think should change (see: John Deere and their bullshit repair practices) -- I'm not just picking on Apple here.

its not me who cares its the makers of the phone and the operating system who will have to deal with patches to their firmware and stuff to fix the problems caused by others. we now have so much data stored on phones such as credit card information. you sure that should be opened up to anybody who wants to access that? you can now jailbreak you iPhone if you so choose and side load assorts on there, if it bothers you that much why not go ahead and do that?

again the same issue is easy to push to consoles as they are walled gardens at the moment you just don't see it the same but it is. we are heading more and more into a digital future.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
You're right I do probably just like the iOS experience more than any Android device I've ever owned. Plus, one dealbreaker for me is the no-nonsense native "Stocks" app on iOS. Is there anything like that for Android? There are lots of stock market tracker apps but they were all just bloated to shit and were not enjoyable to use at all.
Yeah I think on Android Stock data is all on 3rd party apps.

RavenSan

its not me who cares its the makers of the phone and the operating system who will have to deal with patches to their firmware and stuff to fix the problems caused by others. we now have so much data stored on phones such as credit card information. you sure that should be opened up to anybody who wants to access that? you can now jailbreak you iPhone if you so choose and side load assorts on there, if it bothers you that much why not go ahead and do that?

again the same issue is easy to push to consoles as they are walled gardens at the moment you just don't see it the same but it is. we are heading more and more into a digital future.
So you're against that option being enabled because you care about the Apple developers? Enabling the option doesn't just open the floodgates of scamming. It's still a rather techincally-minded thing to sideload an app or download it from a different store. Hell, I very rarely do that on my Android phone. 99% of my apps are from the Google Play store. I'd wager that even then I'm in the minority, and most users only use the app store. But the option to not is there, and that's what I'm talking about. Options to use your device as you see fit. I will always fight for that.

Security wise, I'd argue we have more data stored on our computers / (mac & PC) that both allow apps from outside their respective 'stores' -- and anything that handles that data is held to a certain compliance standard. You're far more likely that fall for a phishing attempt in your email than to go find an app outside the app store, allow the install, install and configure that data, and then put in your CC info or any other sensitive data and get compromised.

I suppose next you'll say Apple shouldn't allow RCS since 'iMessage is available' and it's a 'choice' not to use an iPhone for iMessage? Apple has a history of forcing you to use THEIR stuff (propriety chargers, proprietary dongles, removing the headphone jack in an effort to sell airpods) -- it's all because they want you to buy their products, and spend more money in their stores. Unless you earnestly believe all of those things are for the 'safety' of the end user and not at all because it helps pad their bottom line in this capitalist hellscape we live in.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's not the same thing, though. You can buy most games that play on PlayStation on disc from different retailers, giving consumers some choice in where they buy their games if they opt for the disc version of the system. A more fitting analog to the Apple situation is if you buy a digital version of the PS5 the only place you can purchase games is through the PlayStation store. Sony, like Apple, doesn't allow digital sales of PlayStation games on other storefronts while Nintendo and Microsoft do. Which is fine so far because the only lawsuit I'm aware of to fight Sony on it also failed.

Incidentally, you can use Xbox cloud gaming on Apple devices via the browser-based app. But Microsoft wasn't allowed to have a native app on iOS that does the same thing. Apple wouldn't allow a native app because they said it competes with Apple Arcade. Microsoft also removed the ability to buy Xbox games through their mobile app on iOS and Android, games you can't even play natively on those platforms, to be able to have remote play from your console in the app. Apple said buying games in app and streaming from your console to your mobile device was subject the in-app purchase fee. Maybe Microsoft should have split remote play and sales into separate apps like Sony did.

ScHlAuChi

well if you side load then it opens up the operating system to viruses and malware, things like that.
It depends on how the sideloading is implemented.

also with having an App Store like apple it guarantees the quality of the content on there, standards are met.
You can either believe Apples marketing about its supposedly superior security, or you can believe Apples Anti Fraud Engineering head who says otherwise:

Apple´s Security through obscurity has never worked and is just an illusion of security - see all the various scandals and hacks.
And no, Android isnt better, as due to its openess its an easier target.

Last edited:
Top Bottom