• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic vs Google antitrust trial begins today

fortnite_money.jpg

The jury trial between Epic Games and Google over antitrust claims about the latter's payments system and rules will begin later today.

The dispute began in 2020 when Epic introduced a hotfix to Fortnite that directed players to buy virtual currency V-Bucks directly, avoiding the 30% cut Google takes through its handling of all in-game transactions.

Google removed Fortnite from the Google Play store, to which Epic swiftly responded with an antitrust lawsuit. Google later countersued Epic for breach of contract.
Epic's arguments are that Google's requirement for developers to use the Play store's payment system for all transactions is anti-competitive and that, while Android users can install apps without using Google's marketplace (unlike Apple's iOS), Google Play is so dominant that it is not financially viable or profitable to do so.

The jury trial finally begins today, Seeking Alpha reports, with Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google parent Alphabet, and Epic CEO Tim Sweeney expected to testify.

Google's VP of government affairs and public policy told Seeking Alpha: "[Epic's] claims are baseless. Android enables developers to distribute through multiple app stores or directly to users through the web."
Epic has been fighting a similar battle again Apple, with the added arguments that the closed iOS ecosystem means developers are unable to distribute apps to iPhones and iPads without going directly through the App Store.

However, in the 2021 antitrust trial between Epic and Apple, the judge ruled in Apple's favour on nine of out ten counts. Epic's only victory was a ruling that Apple should cease its anti-steering policies and allow developers to provide users with links to where they may make direct purchases.

Both Epic and Apple continue to appeal against the judge's ruling, with the matter now being put to the Supreme Court, so no changes have yet been made to iOS or its payment system.

Google has previously asked the courts not to connect its own dispute against Epic with the Apple case.

Epic Games is also taking legal action against Google in the UK and Australia.

Last edited:
It seems the Epic store is doing ok. Next up is an ok cellphone powered by Unreal Engine. Win win for everyone that plays Fortnite, All 44 million at one time last count. I'm sure AT&T, Verizon will be happy to put your new phone on it's network.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Epic's arguments are that Google's requirement for developers to use the Play store's payment system for all transactions is anti-competitive and that, while Android users can install apps without using Google's marketplace (unlike Apple's iOS), Google Play is so dominant that it is not financially viable or profitable to do so.

So their argument is that Google is letting the put their own storefront on Android, but Google's storefront is better so people don't want to do that? Tim Sweeny is such a cunt.

Jez IDK who I want to lose. We have two good competitors I hate.

In this particular instance, you want Epic to lose. I had those same feelings with the Apply v. Epic lawsuit, so I understand your pain.

demigod

It seems the Epic store is doing ok. Next up is an ok cellphone powered by Unreal Engine. Win win for everyone that plays Fortnite, All 44 million at one time last count. I'm sure AT&T, Verizon will be happy to put your new phone on it's network.
Good luck with that if you think millions of people are going to buy an Epic cell phone just for Fortnite.

Google will prove themselves legally incompetent if they can somehow lose this lawsuit when Apple won theirs and Apple doesn't even allow third-party app stores and sideloading on iOS while Android does and always has

drotahorror

So their argument is that Google is letting the put their own storefront on Android, but Google's storefront is better so people don't want to do that? Tim Sweeny is such a cunt.

That's what I thought as well. What a strange thing to sue over.

Are they going to sue Valve next because more people prefer to buy a game on Steam, even when released on both platforms?

I hope Epic files bankruptcy.

Last edited:

Griffon

While the Apple lawsuit had some merit to it, I really don't understand why they are attacking google.
Android already supports third party stores side loading.

Last edited:

hlm666

Is this the same issue with Apple? But now it's vs. Google?
Kind of, with Apple they seem to be saying they should be able to install (side load) their own store on ios and not pay apple the 30%. Here they can do that already so seem to be pushing that google play has a monopoly or is anti competitive or something that makes side loading their own store not profitable.

Basically they want that 30% from both but are having to argue 2 different reasons, even though the google argument seems to imply what they want for the apple solution wouldn't be profitable anyway?

Three

"The accusations don't end here, as the lawyer claims that a massive part of Google's monopoly with the Play Store is all about exclusive deals. It is alleged that over 22 different developers were convinced not to compete with the Play Store... "

Is the Epic lawyer not familiar with the Epic store?

FStubbs

"The accusations don't end here, as the lawyer claims that a massive part of Google's monopoly with the Play Store is all about exclusive deals. It is alleged that over 22 different developers were convinced not to compete with the Play Store... "

Is the Epic lawyer not familiar with the Epic store?
It's okay when Epic does it because reasons.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Funny thing is that if EPIC waited, EU forced apple to allow stuff like sideloading and alternative app stores. So tough luck Sweeney

Top Bottom