• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Vision Pro has sold 200,000

nikos

People couldn't believe the original iPhone cost $499/599 and look at where we are now.

People tend to hate on something until it becomes accessible to them. Give it some time.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
200k Seems a lot less than what I was thinking they would sell. Probably below what they wanted to sell as well.
Yeah this doesn't seem that amazing even with the price. Not sure the lukewarm reviews are going to help propel this either, and there is the perennial issue of being able to sell a 3D display device to people who only have a 2D device to perceive it.

Aces High

There's a fantastic book called "Alchemy" by Rory Sutherland who is one of the bosses at Ogilvy, one the most succesful marketing agencies on the planet.

He says that increasing the price will often drive sales because people think more expensive = higher value.

poodaddy

If there weren't so many Apple haters this would be selling better.

As a proud Apple hater.
Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

Robb

Gold Member
“Apple has cut its 2024 Vision Pro shipments to 400–450k units vs. 700–800k”

“demand in the US market has fallen sharply beyond expectations“

“Apple is reviewing and adjusting its head-mounted display (HMD) product roadmap, […] no new Vision Pro model in 2025

“Apple expects Vision Pro shipments to decline YoY in 2025.“
300px-Oof_Size_Large.jpg

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

It’s a product for developers, a dev kit of sorts. A half-baked product that Cook wanted to rush out to have the release of a new product line under his belt and legacy.

They’re working on a mass market product that Kuo has been reporting for 2026/2027.

The ultimate goal is the AR glasses, which are many years away.

Ribi

If there weren't so many Apple haters this would be selling better.

I hate apple. But I do like how they pushed forward the tech here especially hand tracking and passthrough. Here's hoping other companies get off their ass and match that along with better everything else. That's why I'm excited for what this was, not as an apple product but as a AR/Mobile PC minimum bar going forward.

poppabk

I hate apple. But I do like how they pushed forward the tech here especially hand tracking and passthrough. Here's hoping other companies get off their ass and match that along with better everything else. That's why I'm excited for what this was, not as an apple product but as a AR/Mobile PC minimum bar going forward.
How did they push forward hand tracking and pass through? I haven't had a chance to try a vision pro but Quest 2 does half decent hand tracking and Quest 3 is pushing pass through.

Ribi

How did they push forward hand tracking and pass through? I haven't had a chance to try a vision pro but Quest 2 does half decent hand tracking and Quest 3 is pushing pass through.
by all accounts the pass through is crystal clear with the use of micro-OLED and the hand tracking is very good.

poppabk

by all accounts the pass through is crystal clear with the use of micro-OLED and the hand tracking is very good.
So all they did was throw other peoples money at it. Nothing ingenious or novel, just top of the range parts, and then they passed the cost on to the customers.

Ribi

So all they did was throw other peoples money at it. Nothing ingenious or novel, just top of the range parts, and then they passed the cost on to the customers.
ye but now people know that top of the line parts have been used and anything else has to match the quality if they make a pro version. Meta cant make a product with less specs in the coming years now without it looking like a downgrade

sendit

ye but now people know that top of the line parts have been used and anything else has to match the quality if they make a pro version. Meta cant make a product with less specs in the coming years now without it looking like a downgrade
It doesn't need to. The Meta Quest 3 by default just does more than the Apple Vision.

Ribi

It doesn't need to. The Meta Quest 3 by default just does more than the Apple Vision.
It needs to, this isn't an area where enthusiasts will love half assed measures. A device that can cause motion sickness and something like a screendoor effect will scare people off more and more as we keep going.

The future of headsets lies in what apple just did. The features were shown and other developers just have to beat it and add on.

Reallink

The lack of VR controllers (even as an optional accessory) and games was really an unforced error given they knew full well content and use case was the number 1 issue and question mark with the device.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I just hope the failure of this device doesn't lead to them abandoning VR, we still want them to move it along into an actual mass market product.
No doubt the tiny trickle of sales coming in from this point is making them pause.

Last edited:

rm082e

This isn't a VR gaming headset. It's an iPad pro you strap to your face. It's very high end kit that does not justify it's own existence. The only reason this thing sold as well as it did is because Apple has built a base of zombie fanboys. If Tim Cook actually thought this was going to be a sustainable product line, he's completely out of touch. Even if this was $1,500, it wouldn't be sustainable. They'd just sell 3-4 times as many to additional Apple fanboys who have a little less disposable income.

The only person I know who bought one is a guy who has way more money than sense and buys nearly all the new Apple toys every generation or two. He told me he loves the Vision Pro for watching movies, but that's the only use case he's described spending any time with.

Fredrik

The price was the most obvious barrier but no PC connectivity to Steam was always the nail in the coffin

nick776

The overwhelming vast majority of the population just does not care for VR. Most people (myself included) do not want to strap a contraption to their head. VR and AR headsets will always be a niche product and never mainstream no matter what futurists might tell you.

The overwhelming vast majority of the population just does not care for VR. Most people (myself included) do not want to strap a contraption to their head. VR and AR headsets will always be a niche product and never mainstream no matter what futurists might tell you.
This is changing for the younger generations and newer product iterations. The quest is very popular with kids. While not ubiquitous like consoles, it’s pretty common.

sendit

It needs to, this isn't an area where enthusiasts will love half assed measures. A device that can cause motion sickness and something like a screendoor effect will scare people off more and more as we keep going.

The future of headsets lies in what apple just did. The features were shown and other developers just have to beat it and add on.

pSUHas4.png

Apple Vision doesn't solve motion sickness. It just doesn't any have applications that cause it. It has limited use cases. Meta Quest can provide both full AR and VR experiences. Apple Vision has limited applications for VR.

Additionally, you call having a battery dangling from the headset the future? We are talking about a device at fraction of a price (Quest 3) that simply does more.

Last edited:

Ribi

pSUHas4.png

Apple Vision doesn't solve motion sickness. It just doesn't any have applications that cause it. It has limited use cases. Meta Quest can provide both full AR and VR experiences. Apple Vision has limited applications for VR.

Additionally, you call having a battery dangling from the headset the future? We are talking about a device at fraction of a price (Quest 3) that simply does more.
no, no im implying that freatures for vr need to get better and there are a lot of tech that needs to be pushed forward to solve it but its so niche that companies dont want to go all in other than meta and apple - valve. And with apple hopping on it increases that arms race for better tech to create - "THE headset" i didnt meant they cured motion sickness im saying its one of many issues taht plague the space.

I'll be honest I would pick one up IF it was cheaper. 3.5K is just Too steep. Crazy how they didn't read the room that being the dog shit economy.

Ashamam

Amazes me how quickly people write off Apple products. When they enter a new space they disrupt it. The fact its too expensive for most, and definitely for most here (myself included) is irrelevant. Whilst it sits in its current price bracket it is going to be dev focused, but for a reason, the potential is enormous in the professional space. Microsoft has ceded this market foolishly.

In health. Off the top of my head.

Realtime AI skin lesion categorisation.
Potential for a surgical overlay to visualise tumour locality.
As a training aid for student doctors.
As a training aid to dry run surgery.

In industry.

QC prompts. eg: Torque settings in a HUD for aircraft manufacture spot checks.
Maintenance checklists.
Exploded engineering BOM's
Exploded architectural plans

In education

Limitless really. But anyone who has been near tertiary education recently would know how quickly AR is being adopted into curriculums.

The device is a bargain substitute that is leagues better than what alternatives are in use and being paid for today in some cases. For others it is going to be a boon just because of the dev and SDK support it will have. The fact it is a dead steady platform by itself makes it the only logical choice for many applications. To the best of my knowledge no other headset can hold virtual objects so completely fixed relative to real space.

Everyone is tunneling on its consumer adoption. That will come with future generations and cost reductions, but there is plenty of demand for a product of its quality right now that isn't ***fanbois***. The fixation on Apple as a fanboy club does my head in. If Apple users are all fanboys then its the biggest fan club in the history of the world. By volume and percentage of the world population.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

That's a self-serving argument tailored to support your own notion. It holds little value outside.

"General sentiment" is not a reliable metric without the necessary context. You shouldn't simply impose a broad value proposition in this case without taking everything into account. Because here's where VR is at right now: Given that this technology is in its early stages and constantly evolving, the initial support from early adopters is more critical than the general public's sentiment.

So whether a product is mainstream or niche does not always determine its success. For instance, products designed for left-handed individuals cater to a niche market as well, as only a fraction of the population is left-handed. Nevertheless, it's a segment which has plenty potential for good profit margins, and tangible value for its users.

Once, carrying a mobile phone felt as cumbersome as lugging around a suitcase (form factor was hilarious back in the day), and "most people" wouldn't want to. But here we are, now it's a sleek mature product that we can't imagine living without.

Edit: And btw, just to mention, the Quest alone sold what, 20-25 million..

Edit: Disclaimer: I have no interest in the Apple Vision Pro myself.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's a self-serving argument tailored to support your own notion. It holds little value outside.

"General sentiment" is not a reliable metric without the necessary context. You shouldn't simply impose a broad value proposition in this case without taking everything into account. Because here's where VR is at right now: Given that this technology is in its early stages and constantly evolving, the initial support from early adopters is more critical than the general public's sentiment.

So whether a product is mainstream or niche does not always determine its success. For instance, products designed for left-handed individuals cater to a niche market as well, as only a fraction of the population is left-handed. Nevertheless, it's a segment which has plenty potential for good profit margins, and tangible value for its users.

Once, carrying a mobile phone felt as cumbersome as lugging around a suitcase (form factor was hilarious back in the day), and "most people" wouldn't want to. But here we are, now it's a sleek mature product that we can't imagine living without.

Edit: And btw, just to mention, the Quest alone sold what, 20-25 million..

Edit: Disclaimer: I have no interest in the Apple Vision Pro myself.

Exactly!!!! I see this same mistake when people talk about Electric Vehicles.

phant0m

While a device strapped to your head is obviously more intrusive, people did say similar things about the iPad ("LOL giant iPhone", etc) and now people go everywhere with their goddamn iPads.

Just like the Amazon Kindle (another touted saviour of newspapers) at first glance, the iPad is a little underwhelming. Unlike the Kindle (when we at the Mirror were presented it, the Amazon rep told us to "please stop prodding the screen. You might break it") this is at least a thing of beauty. But I see shortcomings.

The reason my laptop has a lid is so the screen doesn't get wrecked after a couple of months – like the screen of my, er, iPhone. I can stick my iPhone in my pocket when I leave the house. Where does one stick the iPad? What do you do when it rains?

There are certain parts of the UK where it's not best advised to prance about with 500 quids worth of shiny new tech. No one ever mugged anyone for a copy of the Mirror. Also, should you drop your Mirror in a puddle, or leave it on the bus, you can replace it at any number of locations for just 45p.

One more gripe. All those lovely Apps we've built – the Guardian's brilliant newspaper one and our forthcoming MirrorFootball.co.uk app to name but two – will need redesigning. Great! Yet another format to develop.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hey Apple. I've got an idea. This might not have occurred to you but you could try selling the headset outside of the US?

Minsc

Gold Member
Clearly a failed product as it cannot run Alyx. What's the point.

Imagine paying 4k for a headset, and 3k for a laptop and neither device can play the one thing in VR that everyone and their mother expects it to run.

Last edited:

Ashamam

Imagine paying 4k for a headset, and 3k for a laptop and neither device can play the one thing in VR that everyone and their mother expects it to run.

Did you forget to add a /s? Can't tell.

diffusionx

Gold Member
There's a fantastic book called "Alchemy" by Rory Sutherland who is one of the bosses at Ogilvy, one the most succesful marketing agencies on the planet.

He says that increasing the price will often drive sales because people think more expensive = higher value.
It's called a veblen good.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

It’s not even a VR headset….

Top Bottom