• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are comic book heroes our generation's mythological figures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
The Greeks had their entire pantheon of gods. The norse had Odin and all of their war heroes. Both regions passed down stories about these great characters and heroes to inspire the people. Can it be said that in today's world, comic book heroes are doing the same thing for our time? We talk about Spider-Man, Superman, and what they represent and what drives them. We discuss their various escapades and even put them up on screen for all to see. For what purpose? Could it be to give people hope that there is good to strive for?

We have also built theme park rides, statues, and sell action figures of these characters. Is that so different from sculpters carving out statues of the Greek gods or painting their visages? Is it really so far-fetched to say that these fictional heroes inspire us regular folk and have become this generation's mythological figures?

karasu

People actually believed in the heroes of old, so we're way off in that way. You won't find many people building their moral base off of what they read in a Batman comic. I'm of the opinion that comics aren't much different than any other medium. They're full of the same character flaws, strengths, and Ideas you see everywhere else, only the problems are settled a little differently (heat vision & shit), same can be said for Sci Fi. They're just stories. Not religions, like many myths were. Not in method or effect. The theme parks, action figures, and other assorted what nots that you see is generally kid stuff. To me it's like saying that the Navy seals are this generations Ninja just because they both use stealth. Not so.

way more

I don't think they're near popular enough, besides we like to have common everyman heros. 9-11 firefighters and police serve has heros while remaining normal enough for us to emulate.

border

Hehe........no.

If anything they are closer to medieval romance, where the same stories and characters are explored over and over again by different authors with different ideas and agendas. Just as there is no one authoritative account of Lancelot, there is no definitive version of Batman.

border said:
Just as there is no one authoritative account of Lancelot, there is no definitive version of Batman.

WRONG!

Batman%20Year%20One.jpg

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
You could certainly make an argument if you wanted to (I'd disagree based on the syntax of the topic headline). Superheroes: their feats of power, moral basis, and nobility inspire us.

For me, personally, I don't consider them mythological figures as heroes today are more a reflection of the "Romantic" movement in literature that started 300-ish years ago (I believe Border said this already). But you can't say what goes on in a comic does not affect the moral basis or life-goals of an individual any differently than a religious icon would (albeit on a much smaller scale).

For instance, I have modeled myself after superheroes: Strong as the Hulk, fast as the Flash, agile as Spidey, as brilliant as Reed Richards/Tony Stark/Henry Pym/Robert Bruce Banner/Victor Von Doom, etc. Obviously you can't accomplish all of these things, but heroes provide HIGH moral and physical standards to reach for. Just like Jesus, Job, Noah, etc...all had this steadfast belief in God and didn't question he/she/its will, a quality Christians are to aspire to, but none can emulate. I'm not trying to say superheroes have had the impact those folks had, but they are certainly capable of inspiring certain feelings and senses of moral obligation.

And for our patriotic heroes like the 9-11 firefighters and police officers, Athletes turned Special Forces soldiers like Pat and Kevin Tillman, and countless other military personel...without the "superhero" (or rather, the individual with the power who defends the powerless) archetype etched into our psyche somewhere, would we (or they specifically) feel compelled to perform those acts of bravery?

PRE-EDIT: Parents need to use the comp, not able to finish post. Sorry about that everyone.

xsarien

daedsiluap
All I know is this:
Generations upon generations from now, some archaeologist is going to dedicate his life to finding Gotham City based on the shred of a very old Batman comic that he dug up on some previous project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom