• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Writers/Directors getting too much freedom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlan

After reading that Jurassic Park 4 thread, I've come to think that a lot of crap movies are getting far too much freedom by the Producers.

I mean, I've watched all the extra features on the Alien Quadrilogy Boxset, and most of those guys were thrown to the wall and suckerpunched, like the writer for the first movie, and of course David Fincher. The writer [Dan O'Bannon?] got completely shat upon with the producers trying to re-write the script, and Fincher was basically thrown into the movie with any plot to really go by. Finchers debacle was the rpoducers fault, but Dan's script did need help at the time.

Now look at some of todays movies. Gigli, Garfield, Cat in the Hat, Cat Woman, Ecks vs. Sever, basically anything directed by Uwe Boll, the JP4 story, and that original Superman Script. I mean, seriously, Everyone here can tell you that these movies looked horrible from the get-go, how the hell did they even get past the writing phase when they completely butcher something which had already been written?

I've read Sami Rami was also given pretty much full control over both the Spider-Man movies, which was a good thing in the end, but it's like Producers are just throwing money away at the moment. What's the deal?

Has this always happened, or since I'm now a bit more wiser I can see this crap coming? Is these a level of Producer/Writer/Director control that should be necessary?

As long as they've been making films, this has occured. For some reason, many producers and studio executives make horrible decisions concerning films, and unfortunately they're the ones putting up the money.

Prospero

The problem with those terrible summer movies is too much studio and producer control, not too much writer/director control.

Flynn

Rlan, the movies you listed suffer from the entire range of above the line stupidity.

Producer, director and writer are all retards.

Boogie

Umm, Rlan, you've got it ass-backwards, man. It's the studios interfering with the creative process, and making demands based on "marketability" that results in the crap movies that get released.

More creative freedom for writers and directors is a good thing.

xsarien

daedsiluap
The problem is often with the producers, then the directors, and then the writers. Usually in that order.

Hournda

No, the real problem is with the movie going public. They continue to pay money to see this dreck and if it's going to make the studios money, they're going to keep doing it. The studios, writers and directors are merely responding to their audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom