• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you bored of American setting in Gta games?

Spyxos

I used to love exploring the U.S. in Gta3, Vice City, San Andreas and Gta 4, but they could really change the setting. Just imagine Gta in Japan or in Germany. How different the game would be alone through another country.

In the leaks you could see that Gta 6 is set in the States again and I find it boring. And I know there was Gta London, but it was over 20 years ago. I think most people are happy that there is another Gta part after such a long time, but still they could change something in the series and bring new breath into it.

WIo1v8J.jpg

Last edited:
I am bored of the American setting in the sense that I would love to see what Rockstar's budget and technical prowess would come up with in an entirely new setting.

There are many other major places around the world that are just as easy to satirise politically and socially.

I get it. America is easy to make fun of with the stupid culture and the damn guns everywhere.

But I would love Rockstar to do a GTA game set in Scotland or even the UK. Rockstar North is a Scottish studio so it would be cool to do one here for a change. The way the UK is going we deserve someone to take the absolute piss out us.

We know GTA VI is set in the USA again but I ain't mad and I definitely ain't wasting my time worrying about GTA VII lmao that shit is at least 12 years away.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Sort of? I'm just mainly bored of revisiting the same 3 regions/ cities.
I'm looking forward to GTA VI, but I would like to have more verticality and density in a map again, getting tired of these coastal, warmer climate maps.

I'd personally love to see GTA's analog for Chicago. That would make a great setting for a GTA game, especially with the gangs, crime, and political corruption.

Outside of USA-inspired settings, I would love to see a take on UK cities. GTA: London is an actual thing so it's not exactly unprecedented.

Esppiral

I used to love exploring the U.S. in Gta3, Vice City, San Andreas and Gta 4, but they could really change the setting. Just imagine Gta in Japan or in Germany. How different the game would be alone through another country.

In the leaks you could see that Gta 6 is set in the States again and I find it boring. And I know there was Gta London, but it was over 20 years ago. I think most people are happy that there is another Gta part after such a long time, but still they could change something in the series and bring new breath into it.

WIo1v8J.jpg
Tokyo is another over used location, it is like there are only 5 mayor cities in the world and they use them over and over again, so tiring....

Last edited:
No, GTA is a very American centric franchise. Making a GTA game in Germany or Japan wouldn't feel right to me. The only country that I think would be a good fit for GTA is Brazil.
UK would be a perfect place to set it with how fucking stupid this place has gone in the last 10 years.

Yeah guns and shit ain't available here. Well they are but it's nobodys right to own one. It's a carry on getting hold of a bloody BB gun here. But loads of gangs/criminals have guns so no reason they can't be in it.

simpatico

One of them is gone (the more important one)
Have a source for one of them still being there? I thought both left. Leslie Benzies is gone too. This is like getting excited for a new Tool album without Maynard and Danny being involved. Sure it's still called Tool and it's heavy metal, but will it have the magic? Probably not.

kyussman

I have no idea how you even make a modern GTA set in the US given the climate over there these days......GTA has always taken the piss and you aren't allowed to take the piss out of anyone in the US anymore unless it's a straight white man.There is so much crazy shit happening that needs a light shone on it by something like GTA but you just know it can't happen given the loonies of cancel culture will attack.

I would love another GTA London after Watch Dogs Legion completely squandered the setting, but there's no gun culture here so there's nothing to satirise there. Would they open a bunch of Guns N' Ammo UK branches just to give the player something to shoot with? It's going to be tough to make it work outside of USA, and there's plenty of material from the USA to keep them going for a long time anyway.

Last edited:
I would love another GTA London after Watch Dogs Legion completely squandered the setting, but there's no gun culture here so there's nothing to satirise there. Would they open a bunch of Guns N' Ammo UK branches just to give the player something to shoot with? It's going to be tough to make it work outside of USA, and there's plenty of material from the USA to keep them going for a long time anyway.
Gun culture here is very different to USA but it could still work. You don't need to open stores to buy guns/ammo. I think it was GTA IV you could buy guns out the boot of a car. They could have someone set up an illegal store to let you buy weapons. While guns are extremely illegal here they are still being used by criminals/gangs. Rockstar would just need to lean into that.

I wish people would stop with the GTA Tokyo thing. It just doesnt make sense, theres no crime here. The game would be about what..stealing bicycles? Occasionally starting a house fire? You can see Yakuza if you walk through Roppongi or ikebukuro at night...they wont bother you.

Why isnt there a GTA that is Strictly Las Vegas..i know san andreas had a mini vegas but i mean....its literally vegas..its the perfect setting...or what about DC?

Last edited:
London please. Or even better, Glasgow.
If not, getaway 3 please.
It has to be either London or Glasgow.

Can't imagine Edinburgh being host of a GTA game lmao. There are plenty of places in England that could be set in a GTA game but if it's going to be set in Scotland it has to be Glasgow.

dotnotbot

Have a source for one of them still being there? I thought both left. Leslie Benzies is gone too. This is like getting excited for a new Tool album without Maynard and Danny being involved. Sure it's still called Tool and it's heavy metal, but will it have the magic? Probably not.

Well every piece of news always mentioned only Dan leaving and nothing about Sam, Sam is still listed everywhere as the president of R*. But as I said Dan was more important as a writer and designer.

Last edited:

Drew1440

US cities are heavily featured in media like TV shows and music videos and is generally well known thoughout the world, which is why most games tend to be based in the US since its very familiar to a lot of players.

GTA games have been set in Europe before with the London expansion pack for the first GTA. The Getaway was a pretty good open world GTA clone that was set in London and was fairly accurate in its design, though this made it frustrating to play when you consider how cramped the roads are compared to american roads.

Well every piece of news always mentioned only Dan leaving and nothing about Sam, Sam is still listed everywhere as the president of R*.
Leslie was the guy running Rockstar North and had day to day oversight of development of GTA games. Dan was more involved with writing. Sam is more of a business guy. Losing Leslie + Dan is a huge blow.

Spyxos

US cities are heavily featured in media like TV shows and music videos and is generally well known thoughout the world, which is why most games tend to be based in the US since its very familiar to a lot of players.

GTA games have been set in Europe before with the London expansion pack for the first GTA. The Getaway was a pretty good open world GTA clone that was set in London and was fairly accurate in its design, though this made it frustrating to play when you consider how cramped the roads are compared to american roads.
That's probably part of it, it's not just games, a lot of series and movies are playing in the States and you're getting really oversaturated.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Part of the charm of GTA isnt just random violence, its satirizing whatever society its set in.

GTA: Brazil
GTA: South Africa
GTA: Mexico
GTA: New Orleans - Yes I know its still the US, but the vibe would be totally different.
GTA: Jamaica
GT:Haiti
GTA: Colombia

Could all fit the bill on violence alone, but I dont know what stories you could tell there that would be tongue in cheek enough for us to have a laugh without coming off as really fucked up.

Teasing Brazil, Jamaica, Haiti or Colombia about being fucked up poor places with lots of violence, might not land as well as people think it will.
If a GTA: Mexico was in the vein of San Andreas in which its riffing on all these Narco movies/series we are seeing then im sure it could work.

As for things like GTA: Japan or GTA: Germany or whatever..........doubt.

simpatico

Well every piece of news always mentioned only Dan leaving and nothing about Sam, Sam is still listed everywhere as the president of R*. But as I said Dan was more important as a writer and designer.
After another search I think you are right. But as you said, Sam is just there to run the business side. Makes you wonder if Dan left because of the newfound constraints on what can be said in the story.

If GTA can do New York it can do London or Glasgow. New York City was based on Glasgow when it comes to the road layout and city blocks. Maybe in real life the Manhattan streets are wider than Glasgows but if you can have GTA III and GTA IV set in Liberty City you can make a GTA Glasgow.

Id want gta to stay centered on the US, but international travel would be cool…adding in carribean, cuba, mexico, south/central american jungles etc.

Maybe some european and asian destinations in sequels

Robb

Gold Member
Not really, it’s such a big country there’s a lot variety to pick and choose from.

That said I’m not opposed to other settings, but I also feel that the U.S. setting is part of its identity.

phant0m

GTA Tokyo could be fun but tbh we already have the Yakuza series for an open-world crime game. I’d rather we got a new GTA London or something Central/South America.

MiguelItUp

Honestly I think I'm just tired of the games period. Until they can show me what great new things they can do, I feel like everything has already been done. Really not sure what else could really make it feel fresh, new, and interesting.

dotnotbot

After another search I think you are right. But as you said, Sam is just there to run the business side. Makes you wonder if Dan left because of the newfound constraints on what can be said in the story.

Highely likely considering that last year he registered new company called "Absurd Ventures" and a studio called "Absurd Ventures in Games". I imagine making mainly GTA games or similar (RDR) for most of his life might also get tiresome eventually. Current Rockstar has no resources for passion projects.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I mean there's only so many English speaking places in the world. They could do an England one but the location is kind of boring

Australia could make a funny satire in the right hands but lack of crime makes it seem abit silly
Ireland same deal
Canada no crime and nothing funny to really mock

In the US they've really only focused on NY, California/Vegas and Miami. What about Texas?

No English speaking countries would be cool but they would butcher it

Kurimao

I would love to see a GTA Yakuza clone made by Sucker Punch.
They have already successfully made a samurai game then why not a full pledge sandbox game in modern (Tokyo) Japan.

Pelta88

Speaking as someone based outside the USA, the fictionalized American setting is part of the appeal.

The satirization of US extremes and US politics is part of the charm. A charm I don't think many US gamers are aware of. The radio station(s) dialogue, in particular, is some of the best writing in video games to date.

Last edited:
Top Bottom