• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you comfortable with 3rd party games being 70$ in this gen?

yazenov

I have limited time to play games, so I play the games I really want day one for $70 no problem. I'll be enjoying the game for weeks. Games nowadays are just too long.

Money is not the problem for me. Time is the issue.

Arthimura

If it has a fair amount of quality content, i have no problem.

Let's be honest, nowadays games have a lot more content than before.

Most games from PS3/Xbox 360 era could be finished in one weekend easily, the majority didn't even had multiplayer and the only thing left was to go after trophies.

Nowadays you can play a new game for an entire month, or even more.

Chukhopops

I intend to never buy a game for 79.99€, I just find it obscene and there’s no need to rush for most day 1 games anyway, they get better after a few months.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Man I've never even spent $60 on a game. I'm fine falling another year behind while I wait for my discounted complete edition.

Nope. Pirating is looking more and more attractive every day.

And remember, it is always morally correct to pirate Nintendo games.
Just to be clear, pirating from indie devs is very scummy. Those are small, limited budget studios that actually need that money.

But multibillion dollar corporations that constantly engage in anti-consumer practices? Fuck 'em. Maybe next time you won't be so greedy.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
70 USD yes, 80 EUR for no. I would love 70USD games actually in here, it's X360/PS3 price...

scalman

what you mean $70 ? i mean if its top game i dont mind rly 10 more or less.. or wait untill it gets cheaper... whatever you want rly.... if its just like 3 games in year thats its for your style then if its cost some more still its ok ..

Corgi1985

Banned
If nintendo can get away with charging $60 for garbage like mario golf super rushed then $70 for a complete 3rd party game that doesn't look aliased to shit isn't a bad deal.

reinking

Gold Member
I am considering going back to Gamefly when my Game Pass sub ends. Sort of works out better as a rental service since it includes all consoles. Back when I did Gamefly they offered a discount on new games and the coupons so I never paid full price. I assume they still do that? The new price point is a minor reason I am considering dropping Game Pass for Gamefly.

Fbh

nah, I'll wait for a sale on pretty much anything that isn't made by From Software.
I'm also not seeing the jump in quality to justify it.

GuinGuin

Banned
Base game cost is totally irrelevant as most third party games now come with a gold version or dlc expansion packs or whatever the hell else they can do to scam you out of more money. The total cost of games like Assassin's Creed was already over $100 last gen.

Banjo64

cumsessed
3rd Party? No. I will not be buying Elden Ring on launch on PS5 if it is.
Why make a distinction between 1st and 3rd party? If anything I’d be more inclined to give From £70 because they don’t make pure profit from a crappy online service and take 30% from all store/MTX sales.

Sorry - just clocked the title of the thread. OP why make any distinction?

Last edited:

Paasei

If the game is a finished product, sure. That doesn't seem to be the case that often anymore.

It seems that we now pay more for less. And the extra things coming later don't interest me in the slightest. This is primarily a thing in Multiplayer games, which is fine, cause I rarely play those.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Why the 3rd party vs 1st party distinction? You know that makes no sense whatsoever right?
1st party price is a sensitive topic.
People would defend them.

On other hand, 3rd party exist on all platforms. You cant defend them for your platform sake, when it exists on other platforms.

bender

What time is it?
I'd rather gams be closer 1$00 and content complete. It's obvious that's the direction a lot of publishers want to go and it is why the majority of games have digital deluxe, collectors, ultimate, etc. editions. . Just looking at pre-orders on PS5:

-Madden: $69.99, $99.99, $119.99
-Diablo II: $39.99, $49.99
-FIFA: $69.99, $99.99
-NBA2K: $69.99, $79.99, $99.99
-Back 4 Blood: $59.99, $89.99, $99.99
-Battlefield: $69.99, $99.99, $119.99
-FFXIV: Endwalekr: $39.99, $59.99
-Demon Slayer: $59.99, $69.99
-Aliens: $39.99, $69.99
--Deathloop: $59.99, $79.99
-Death Stranding DC: $49.99, $59.99
-Dying Light 2: $59.99, $79.99, $99.99
-Far Cry 6: $59.99, $99.99, $119.99
-Farm Sim 22: $59.99
-FIST: $29.99
-Fracked: $29.99, $34.99
-Hot Wheels: $49.99, $69.99, $89.99
-I Expect You To Die 2: $24.99
-Kena: $39.99, $49.99
-KeyWe: $24.99
-Kings Bounty: $59.99, $64.99
-Lemnis Gate: $19.99
-Life is Strange HD: $39.99
-Life is Strange True Colors: $59.99, $69.99, $79.99
-Lost in Random: $29.99
-Lost Judgment: $59.99, $69.99, $89.99
-Guardians of the Galaxy: $59.99, $69.99
-Psychonauts 2: $59.99
-Riders Republics; $59.99, $99.99, $119.99
-RIMS: $49.99, 64.99, 64.99, $79.99
-Sonic Colors: $39.99, $44.99
-Monkey Ball: $39.99, $49.99
-Tales of Arise: $59.99, $84.99, $109.99
-Medium: $49.99
-WRC10: $59.99, $79.99

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Nope. Skipped multiple large releases already and waiting for a sale at least -50% or higher before touching it. Also became a new Gamepass subscriber.

Not paying near $80 every time I want to play something new. I'll make a few small exceptions for stuff like FFXVI, or a small handful of games and that's it. The vast majority of games will lose a sale from me at that price.

Last edited:

Plantoid

Nope, I'm not paying 70 never, even if it's elden ring (most anticipated game for me)

Will wait for deals or gamepass.

iHaunter

Why make a distinction between 1st and 3rd party? If anything I’d be more inclined to give From £70 because they don’t make pure profit from a crappy online service and take 30% from all store/MTX sales.

Sorry - just clocked the title of the thread. OP why make any distinction?
Sony 1st party's are designed to work best on the console with all the bells and whistles. That's why. Dual Sense, graphics, etc.

NahaNago

If I'm really interested in the game then I don't mind paying 70 for it. If not, I'm waiting for the game to drop down to 20. I'm either in or 20 and below.
I'd rather gams be closer 1$00 and content complete. It's obvious that's the direction a lot of publishers want to go and it is why the majority of games have digital deluxe, collectors, ultimate, etc. editions. . Just looking at pre-orders on PS5:
If digital deluxe versions made all expansions and dlc content apart of the $100 price I wouldn't mind spending that amount.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
If digital deluxe versions made all expansions and dlc content apart of the $100 price I wouldn't mind spending that amount.

The problem is that publishers would just continue to use the price hike as the new baseline. But, I'm with your thoughts. Wasn't it Star Trek Online that offered a lifetime subscription? Something similar to that for most non-GAAS titles sounds appealing. All the multiple editions for new titles coming out makes me shy away from games I might be interested in. I'm looking at you Tales of Arise.

Top Bottom