• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox going OEM route for next-gen? 3rd party consoles in the making?

Lack of competition with only Sony is hell on earth.
On the contrary. Competition require winners and losers. Once the loser loses, someone else steps up to the plate to replace them. That was how Sega gave way to Xbox, and one day soon someone else would get a chance when Xbox get put to pasture. That's what competition meant.

If you want the loser to stay around indefinitely, you are not interested in competition.

sn0man

Do you think Microsoft with all its hubris will be ok with giving Sony 30% of digital purchases?
If you’re MS big. Don’t you sign some 100-year contract to not have to pay the 30% in exchange for not releasing more hardware? (Same with Nintendo.) then announce a set of steam console hardware specs to be “an Xbox” and somehow comply with the agreement and still have a platform to collect your own 30% cut.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
On the contrary. Competition require winners and losers. Once the loser loses, someone else steps up to the plate to replace them. That was how Sega gave way to Xbox, and one day soon someone else would get a chance when Xbox get put to pasture. That's what competition meant.

If you want the loser to stay around indefinitely, you are not interested in competition.
Exactly.

I swear I dont know how many times this needs to be repeated.

Did you see how cocky and overpriced Sony was trying to be during the PS3 days? They’ve gotten better. But give them free rein and games will be $90 while consoles are $700. Don’t give them that.
1. Sony wasnt the first ti raise game prices.
2. If Sony does get ultra arrogant.....remember what happened with the PS3 era? Exactly. It wasnt a cake walk that generation for Sony. They had to fight like hell to stay competitive.

If anything ...look what MS did with the XBO reveal....but that arrogance just gets overlooked.

demigod

Did you see how cocky and overpriced Sony was trying to be during the PS3 days? They’ve gotten better. But give them free rein and games will be $90 while consoles are $700. Don’t give them that.
Ms would like a word with you. I was enjoying my first party Sony games at $40. Ms rose high-def to $60. Why do you guys keep trying to rewrite history to paint Sony as being the first to raise prices?

Three

3. Xbox multi-plat rumors - There are fresh rumors about this being announced soon, with 3rd week of Feb being touted as a possible date.
If they do then I can see them trying to launch a Gamepass Core on other platforms with MS first party games. No reason not to considering the other 3rd party publishers have one with EA Play and Ubi+ and they just bought Activision so it would only make sense to compete on subs there too.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Does that mean ESVI will end up on PlayStation?

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Killjoy-NL

Nintendo isn’t playing the same game Sony is. Microsoft is. Sony does what Nintendon’t.
That's because Sony and MS are focused on eachother mostly.

It'll be different if it's just Sony and Nintendo, because the console-demographic will be limited to just Nintendo and Playstation.
Both are also extremely popular, so the console-space might become a lot more competitive and healthy in that sense, without Xbox as a third platform-holder.

Last edited:

Rubim

Exactly.

I swear I dont know how many times this needs to be repeated.

1. Sony wasnt the first ti raise game prices.
2. If Sony does get ultra arrogant.....remember what happened with the PS3 era? Exactly. It wasnt a cake walk that generation for Sony. They had to fight like hell to stay competitive.

If anything ...look what MS did with the XBO reveal....but that arrogance just gets overlooked.
And they're going to fight with who exactly?

MarkMe2525

Everyone has already seen this business model fail with the Steam Console and 3DO. The inherent fact that the manufacturer must make a substantial profit on each box sold, means pricing wouldn't be in line with traditional consoles. I just can't see a world where this failed strategy is attempted for a 3rd time.

Last edited:

Rubim

You realize Nintendo is a thing right? You realize PC gaming is bigger now than ever right?
Are you actually suggesting that a Switch competes with a PlayStation? Or even worse, that PC is a viable alternative to a console.

We're talking to the Base console player, that dude that plays Fortnnite / Call of Duty. The "real" gamer.

People don't realize that PS, Nintendo and PC will be a lot more competitive than with Xbox in the mix.
Doubt PC will change anything.
Doubt Nintendo will change anything.

Someone who is fresh and had not been failing 2 gens in a row. May be Amazon. May even be Apple. But not Xbox.

Sony and Nintendo had not been fighting Xbox for years now. XBOX simply is no longer relevant to either of them..
And you think Amazon and Apple are willing to do it? Press X to doubt.

Last edited:

Rubim

The thing you seem to overlook, is that Xbox exiting also wouldn't change a thing.
No, not really.
That means Sony does not have to pay for Marketing Rights (at least the amount they do right now).

That also means they are the only "next-gen" gaming console available. So yeah, a couple of things would change.

I would assume games would run better in general for the PS5 version. Since you dont have to optmize to anything else (Series S for example).

I would like to point you out to what happened on the PC space with a pretty well known company that has almost the monopoly of the games distribution, aka, Valve and steam.
Do they have any incentive to release any new games?

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

No, not really.
That means Sony does not have to pay for Marketing Rights (at least the amount they do right now).

That also means they are the only "next-gen" gaming console available. So yeah, a couple of things would change.

I would assume games would run better in general for the PS5 version. Since you dont have to optmize to anything else (Series S for example).

I would like to point you out to what happened on the PC space with a pretty well known company that has almost the monopoly of the games distribution, aka, Valve and steam.
Do they have any incentive to release any new games?
Xbox is dying, so Playstation practically already is the only "next-gen" and everything seems to be just fine.

Except for Xbox, because they're irrelevant.

Rubim

Xbox is dying, so Playstation practically already is the only "next-gen" and everything seems to be just fine.

Except for Xbox, because they're irrelevant.
Right, dying, not dead.

With still plenty of exclusives and plenty of games being developed for it.

That's a completely different scenario from one that it does not exists and its not even accounted for.

Rubim

Xbox has no exclusives, they're on PC as well.

And even if you want to consider them exclusives, Xbox sales are flatlining.
I agree with all that, but there's:
A) Still money being spent for building games that support it.
B) Still games being developed FOR IT (Regardless if its releasing on PC as well).

That's a different scenario where it does not exist.

So Xbox as a Hardware dying, and sales being low, still is a scenario where it's trying to compete. What im talking about is a scenario where it does not exist as a competitor to Sony. Aka, DEAD.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

I agree with all that, but there's:
A) Still money being spent for building games that support it.
B) Still games being developed FOR IT (Regardless if its releasing on PC as well).

That's a different scenario where it does not exist.

So Xbox as a Hardware dying, and sales being low, still is a scenario where it's trying to compete. What im talking about is a scenario where it does not exist as a competitor to Sony.
This is all irrelevant though.
Even more so since Xbox is planning on removing their physical games from stores.

That will effectively make Xbox non-existent in the average consumers eyes, accelerating the flatlining of Xbox sales.

Rubim

This is all irrelevant though.
Even more so since Xbox is planning on removing their physical games from stores.

That will effectively make Xbox non-existent in the average consumers eyes, accelerating the flatlining of Xbox sales.
Are you actually reading what im saying?
Sales being low and even being all digital, that's not the point, lets go it further, now you can only buy it if you send a FAX to Xbox Offices while dancing naked with a pineapple on your anus (must be the WHOLE pineapple).

Games are still being made for it.
Games are still being optimized for it.
Competitor is still buying marketing rights and exclusive content that would not be available on it.

It's not irrelevant if there's money still being spent on it you dummy.

Last edited:

demigod

Are you actually suggesting that a Switch competes with a PlayStation? Or even worse, that PC is a viable alternative to a console.

We're talking to the Base console player, that dude that plays Fortnnite / Call of Duty. The "real" gamer.

Doubt PC will change anything.
Doubt Nintendo will change anything.

Where do you think xbox fans will go if they go third party? Most of them has already self proclaimed they were born a pc gamer just recently. GHG GHG it looks like your avatar is back.

• Surprised
Reactions: GHG

Rubim

Where do you think xbox fans will go if they go third party? Most of them has already self proclaimed they were born a pc gamer just recently. GHG GHG it looks like your avatar is back.
Xbox users are low, Xbox die-hard fans are even lower.

If Xbox is not an option anymore, most people would swap for the PS5. I have 0 doubts for it.

Killjoy-NL

Are you actually reading what im saying?
Sales being low and even being all digital, that's not the point, lets go it further, now you can only buy it if you send a FAX to Xbox Offices while dancing naked with a pineapple on your anus (must be the WHOLE pineapple).

Games are still being made for it.
Games are still being optimized for it.
Competitor is still buying marketing rights and exclusive content that would not be available on it.

It's not irrelevant if there's money still being spent on it you dummy.
The discussion was about nothing changing if MS would abandon Xbox hardware.
Literally nothing would change.

Strictly talking about hardware, if Sony would leave, the console space would already miss out on VR.

If Nintendo would, it will have a major impact on the handheld market.

And as far as software goes, Nintendo has exclusive games and while Sony does port some games to PC, there is no guarantee that it goes for all their games.
So in both cases there would be a loss.

Xbox though? Nothing would change.

Last edited:

demigod

Xbox users are low, Xbox die-hard fans are even lower.

If Xbox is not an option anymore, most people would swap for the PS5. I have 0 doubts for it.
PC and Nintendo are still competition. Consoles won’t touch Pc graphics, Nintendo consoles usually cost less and handheld. They have been getting way more 3rd party support than before. You are delusional if you don’t think Nintendo will eat Sony’s software lunch money.

MacReady13

I cannot believe the path Phil is taking Xbox on and how poor it is! What was once a great brand in console gaming is now disappearing and is being taken over by a fucking rental service.

I sold my Series X this week and all my games. Writing is clearly on the wall for Xbox. Getting a gaming PC was easily the right thing to do.

demigod

I cannot believe the path Phil is taking Xbox on and how poor it is! What was once a great brand in console gaming is now disappearing and is being taken over by a fucking rental service.

I sold my Series X this week and all my games. Writing is clearly on the wall for Xbox. Getting a gaming PC was easily the right thing to do.
There goes 1 gamer switching to PC.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think it's a great idea. Focus on the xbox app and just make it a windows 11 lite PC but every game launches for it. So MS can still drive gamepass and purchases but takes away hardware cost.

Release games exclusively and third party that make sense.

I work with Microsoft on a day to day and I really can't see them giving up revenue and profits to ditch everything and take a 30 percent cut on store earnings. But, maybe gamepass will be signed off as an experiment that reached saturation at 30 mill subs.

They take the cut on steam so they maybe willing to take that cut on playstation if they are selling 10s of millions of units.

Going to be an interesting next 10 years.

Rubim

The discussion was about nothing changing if MS would abandon Xbox hardware.
Literally nothing would change.

Strictly talking about hardware, if Sony would leave, the console space would already miss out on VR.

If Nintendo would, it will have a major impact on the handheld market.

And as far as software goes, Nintendo has exclusive games and while Sony does port some games to PC, there is no guarantee that it goes for all there games.
So in both cases there would be a loss.

Xbox though? Nothing would change.
We can disagree. My points were made and yours as well. There's nothing more to discuss.

PC and Nintendo are still competition. Consoles won’t touch Pc graphics, Nintendo consoles usually cost less and handheld. They have been getting way more 3rd party support than before. You are delusional if you don’t think Nintendo will eat Sony’s software lunch money.
Can i play Alan Wake on it?
Can i play the fucking GOTY on it?

Rubim

EmDuzvF.png

My guy, what is this? And you can bet your candyass Alan Wake 2 will come to Switch 2.
I'm gonna assume you just dont know what you're talking about, but no, im not talking about the 2010 game.

Of course i was talking about Alan Wake 2 my dude. What's this?

And for Switch 2, we don't know anything about it. But if we're talking about future releases...

Then what about Alan Wake 4 or Call of Duty Modern Warfare 19 that's only available on Playstation 23? Are you going to wait for the Switch 4 for it?

Last edited:

Sony

Nintendo
That would make Microsoft Xbox the Surface of Xboxes. And interestingly, that would allow Sony to develop and Xbox.
Can you imagine going back in time in the height of the 360 vs. PS3 era to GameTrailers and Gamefaqs and whispering: I'm from the future, Microsoft owns Activision, Bethesda and Blizzard and Sony is releasing an Xbox console.
lol.

demigod

I'm gonna assume you just dont know what you're talking about, but no, im not talking about the 2010 game.

Of course i was talking about Alan Wake 2 my dude. What's this?

And for Switch 2, we don't know anything about it. But if we're talking about future releases...

Then what about Alan Wake 4 or Call of Duty Modern Warfare 19 that's only available on Playstation 23?
Has xbox gone fully third party yet? So your argument about it is moot. Future CoD will be on Switch 2, i’m sure you knew that.

Rubim

Has xbox gone fully third party yet? So your argument about it is moot. Future CoD will be on Switch 2, i’m sure you knew that.
I mean you showed yourself as dishonest or uniformed when you put Alan Wake Remaster, when i was clearly talking about the next-gen game.

I dont think Switch 2 will compete with a PS5.

Last edited:

demigod

I mean you showed yourself as dishonest or uniformed when you put Alan Wake Remaster, when i was clearly talking about the next-gen game.

I dont think Switch 2 will compete with a PS5.
You showed yourself as being dishonest asking for one of the best looking games to be on Switch. I’m sure you’re so thrilled to be buying it to play at 540p ultra low resolution.

Anyways, carry on dormant account alt.

Rubim

You showed yourself as being dishonest asking for one of the best looking games to be on Switch. I’m sure you’re so thrilled to be buying it to play at 540p ultra low resolution.

Anyways, carry on dormant account alt.
"Dormant account alt". Try harder.

My point with that was excactly to show you that there's no competition if you're looking to those kind of games.

icerock

If they do then I can see them trying to launch a Gamepass Core on other platforms with MS first party games. No reason not to considering the other 3rd party publishers have one with EA Play and Ubi+ and they just bought Activision so it would only make sense to compete on subs there too.

They stand to make a lot more money by selling those games at full price on other platforms. There is a reason Activision never put out a sub service for Call of Duty. And, here is a nugget. None of old CoDs have dropped on GamePass despite acquisition getting through months ago ;)

Contrary to what a lot of people think, plans aren't set in stone. This OEM rumor doesn't necessarily mean that Microsoft stop manufacturing Xbox altogether. I do expect them to make a hardware which will be cloud centric, if they integrate ARM then that further pushes the cost down and provides a cheap entry into Xbox ecosystem. A lot of things are in the flux at Xbox at the moment, Tom insinuated months ago, there seems to be internal struggle in regards to key decision-makers for future of Xbox, and the apple-cart might soon be upset. I wouldn't buy into completely what they said years ago, nor would I completely dismiss whatever is floating around at the moment. For instance, if next Call of Duty doesn't drop on GamePass Day 1, do not be shocked.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They stand to make a lot more money by selling those games at full price on other platforms. There is a reason Activision never put out a sub service for Call of Duty. And, here is a nugget. None of old CoDs have dropped on GamePass despite acquisition getting through months ago ;)

Contrary to what a lot of people think, plans aren't set in stone. This OEM rumor doesn't necessarily mean that Microsoft stop manufacturing Xbox altogether. I do expect them to make a hardware which will be cloud centric, if they integrate ARM then that further pushes the cost down and provides a cheap entry into Xbox ecosystem. A lot of things are in the flux at Xbox at the moment, Tom insinuated months ago, there seems to be internal struggle in regards to key decision-makers for future of Xbox, and the apple-cart might soon be upset. I wouldn't buy into completely what they said years ago, nor would I completely dismiss whatever is floating around at the moment. For instance, if next Call of Duty doesn't drop on GamePass Day 1, do not be shocked.
Very true.

I also completely agree with the internal struggle thing. The irony, which many still can't see, is that it is the ABK acquisition that so many cheered for is expediting Xbox's downfall.

Before the ABK acquisition, it was "Xbox". After the ABK acquisition closed, it became "Microsoft Gaming." Now, the gaming-related decisions are being made at the Microsoft level, not the previous Xbox level. And Microsoft is demanding more money and profits.

There is every bit of chance that Hi-Fi Rush and/or Sea of Thieves is announced for PlayStation and Nintendo before ABK games are announced for Game Pass lol.

Killjoy-NL

"Dormant account alt". Try harder.

My point with that was excactly to show you that there's no competition if you're looking to those kind of games.
What do you mean, there's no competition?

Most consumers don't care as much about the graphical differences as the core gaming audience does.

Three

I've been sceptical of CoD day 1 on gamepass since the beginning too. I don't think it makes sense and I got a lot of flack in the past for suggesting they wouldn't add it straight away when the deal closes.

What I'm referring to though is Gamepass Core, which doesn't even include some of the newer less successful games from MS like Hifi rush, Starfield, or even Redfall yet, let alone new CoDs. If they ever go third party, much like EA Play, I can see them adding older stuff to a sub on other platforms without sacrificing those sales. No reason not to have a smaller catalog of games that aren't selling much anymore or aren't about game sales in a sub on other platforms, for example say Elder scrolls online, Fallout 76, SoT, Spyro, THPS, etc. Just copy EA Play and Ubi+ with the Gamepass Core branding.

Last edited:

demigod

I've been sceptical of CoD day 1 on gamepass since the beginning too. I don't think it makes sense and I got a lot of flack in the past for suggesting they wouldn't add it straight away when the deal closes.

What I'm referring to though is Gamepass Core, which doesn't even include some of the newer less successful games from MS like Hifi rush, Starfield, or even Redfall yet, let alone new CoDs. If they ever go third party, much like EA Play, I can see them adding older stuff to a sub on other platforms without sacrificing those sales. No reason not to have a smaller catalog of games that aren't selling much anymore or aren't about game sales in a sub on other platforms, for example say Elder scrolls online, Fallout 76, SoT, Spyro, THPS, etc. Just copy EA Play and Ubi+ with the Gamepass Core branding.
Remember there were folks claiming Diablo IV would hit gamepass when the deal closed. So much for that.

Daddy Nadella and the shareholders are not happy with xbox’s growth. They saw the hardware numbers for their game of the generation and it was abysmal. This year will be worse for xbox. Sony are dropping banger after bangers. They also have the PS5 Pro coming out, xbox has nothing. Well, maybe they can make a coffee machine or something to go along with the toaster.

Last edited:
People didn't think Sony would be any good at making gaming consoles either. I remember how low the expectations were back then. There was half a dozen new consoles being made by multiple companies.

Once Xbox retires, there would finally be room for someone else to step up. Sony interestingly seem to have messed up most of its other ventures, PlayStation being a bright spot that became more and more important over the years. So it isn't like Sony is invincible or anything. They just happened to figure out gaming. So others may get a chance too if they get the wiggle room. New competition would appear once the old failures exist stage left.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
That's because Sony and MS are focused on eachother mostly.

It'll be different if it's just Sony and Nintendo, because the console-demographic will be limited to just Nintendo and Playstation.
Both are also extremely popular, so the console-space might become a lot more competitive and healthy in that sense, without Xbox as a third platform-holder.
More like Sony acts where appropriate (though they keep an eye — all competitors do, even Nintendo) whereas Microsoft watches Sony's every move. It's why they continue to falter, because they can't get out of their own way. Even with the 360, everything was "all eyes on them", while letting what made the console so successful in the first place slip away.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

More like Sony acts where appropriate (though they keep an eye — all competitors do, even Nintendo) whereas Microsoft watches Sony's every move. It's why they continue to falter, because they can't get out of their own way. Even with the 360, everything was "all eyes on them", while letting what made the console so successful in the first place slip away.
That's another way of looking at it and maybe a better way of describing the situation.

Jesb

Whatever they do they are getting stomped on by Nintendo and Sony. PC will always be better as well. I can see Steam moving ahead of them as well with steamdeck. There’s virtually no reason to go with an Xbox moving forward.

Top Bottom