• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you getting early access for Starfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb

Gold Member
It's a scam. I hate these things.

Basically the release date is delayed arbitrarily for those who don't want to pay a premium.
Hope you’re looking forward to the TESVI Premium Upgrades:

Play it a month before launch for only: $64.99
Play it 2 weeks before launch for only: $44.99
Play it 1 week before launch for only: $34.99
malcom tucker GIF

Ammogeddon

It was inevitable that I’d get the premium edition upgrade. The early access is just a nice bonus. However I do think it’s a cheeky tactic designed to get some more cash out of Game Pass subscribers.

SJRB

Gold Member
If you’re remotely even remotely interested in this game you kinda have to or else those remaining five days while the rest of the world is playing will be insufferable.

I hate Bethesda for doing this.

Not exactly, the premium FH upgrade gave you a lot more than just early access. I bought it because I knew I’d play the expansions eventually.

Same reason I bought the Starfield upgrade, the early access is just a bonus. Every Bethesda game has had at least one god-tier DLC.
That's the same with Starfield.
The premium ones give you artwork, soundtrack and DLC as well.
So I look at it like this, I get the premium pack for the DLC and get the early access for free.

Thyuda

I'm gonna wait for the super deluxe mega remake remade legendary part II edition that releases on switch 3 in 10 years, so no :p.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
We all have different taste in games. You probably look forward to something else instead? FF7 Rebirth?

Tbh, all I’ve played from Bethesda’s Fallout is until the step-out moment of Fallout 3, and it did exactly nothing for me. Nada. Never played FO4 or New Vegas. I played Fallout 2 back in the day though, completely different game.

Meanwhile I’ve played several hundreds of hours of Oblivion and even more of Skyrim. Loving both more than any other RPG, the lore, exploration, living worlds, interactions.
And Starfield comes in awakening the sci-fi nerd in me, and it’s very much reminding me of No Man’s Sky, which is among my most played games, and Mass Effect, which is probably my all time favorite gaming trilogy.
The sum of all things just ends on a very good note for me.

I honestly struggle to find a game that had me as excited pre-release, don’t know what that would be.
Then again, since my expectations are sky high I expect to be somewhat disappointed because of that. But right now I’m just enjoying the anticipation, no holding back, feels great to finally look forward to something like crazy 🤗🤩🥳 Counting the days!
Yeah I can’t wait for rebirth. Good call.
Maybe once reviews are out, I will check starfield out

Chukhopops

That's the same with Starfield.
The premium ones give you artwork, soundtrack and DLC as well.
So I look at it like this, I get the premium pack for the DLC and get the early access for free.
Yeah I agree. Just pointing out that I would never pay any extra just for early access, but if you know you’re going to buy the DLC it’s a nice bonus.

Plus you support the developer and still pay way less than retail price.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Not going early, but really interested in seeing how high it goes in concurrent steam players. Of course it could've gone far higher if not for gamepass but still.

VN1X

Banned
What the fuck is with all these Starfield threads lol. It's the same fuckin' guy making these as well?

Imagine sitting on a goldmine of all the wonderful games made since 1985, and instead paying extra to play one single game in beta form five days early.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah, I want to play this as soon as possible, although I resent the fact that they locked it behind a more expensive version. That is fucking sleazy.

If it was any other game, I would've just waited that extra week because fuck those greedy cunts, so this is an extraordinary exception that I'm making by buying this.

brian0057

Banned
It's a Bethesda game. So no.
I'll play it in 2025, when the [insert meaningless adjective] Edition comes out with all the DLC and patches, and goes for like $20.

Last edited:

Paasei

No. There’s no rush to play it for me. Gotta wait for the mods. And then there’s also the gamble of it running properly at launch.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
No, I'm not an idiot. You have all the time in the world to play it. Paying extra to play a few days early is like the dumbest thing on the planet and I will genuinely dislike you.

Topher

Gold Member
I probably won't but at least I won't post any condescending or patronizing message explaining to people I don't know how they should use their money.

No, I'm not an idiot. You have all the time in the world to play it. Paying extra to play a few days early is like the dumbest thing on the planet and I will genuinely dislike you.

MtZ9N.gif

damidu

I probably won't but at least I won't post any condescending or patronizing message explaining to people I don't know how they should use their money.

Whatever your choice is, have fun my friends.
nah i will. because their idiocy will probably make this shit, standard practice for all xbox first party games. day and date my ass

Stuart360

Nope just bought the standard edition on Steam. And to be honest i wouldnt do it even if i was a millionaire. Its not Early Access, its delaying the release for people buying the standard edition, and its a scummy practice that is becoming more and more common.

I just bought the premium edition even though I have GP, and so I'm doing early access.
Over 1 million people paid for early access on Forza Horizon 5, and there will be far more who will be getting Starfield early access.

Say that it's just the one million like FH5, at an average of GP early access upgrade and the two premium editions, MS will bank over 80 million before the game is even released.
Not bad if you can get it.

Are you going early?
I imagine you could be looking at 2 million early access. I'm not, only because my little one isn't back in school till the 4th so I won't get much time to play it. Also we don't know about patches and if any are planned between early access and the launch date.

I imagine you could be looking at 2 million early access. I'm not, only because my little one isn't back in school till the 4th so I won't get much time to play it. Also we don't know about patches and if any are planned between early access and the launch date.
Yeah, it could well be up there.
I think we underestimate the pull that Bethesda has with the PC crowd.
A new Bethesda Game like Starfield would have more than twice the interest with PC gamers than Forza Horizon would have.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Nope just bought the standard edition on Steam. And to be honest i wouldnt do it even if i was a millionaire. Its not Early Access, its delaying the release for people buying the standard edition, and its a scummy practice that is becoming more and more common.

Well it isn't like early access is all that anyone is getting with the premium version of the game. Premium versions have been around a long time and typically include expansions or some sort of DLC that will be coming later. Same exact thing here. The perspective that isn't really early access and in reality simply making non-premium buyers wait longer could have some merit. However, if so that ultimately comes down to Bethesda being deceptive to everyone. Can't say for certain that is what they are doing, but I can see how one might have that view.

Gamepass premium upgrade + another 4 months of gamepass by way of xbox live cards to give me a year of starfield, forza, lies of p and god I hope hellblade 2 next year.

Portugeezer

Oh no, I got scammed into buying a game I wanted with the DLC that I would buy anyway and now I have to play it early. Help, please.
Sorry if it was confusing to you, I am talking about the arbitrary nature of delaying a game for those who just want to play the $70 game.

Don't be blind to these scummy tactics (not Starfield specific, more and more games do this, which is dogshit)

Last edited:

SenkiDala

I've just seen the 1st is a Friday and the 6th a Wednesday, as I don't work that weekend (1/2/3rd) that's tempting... Do we know anything about that "Shattered Space" DLC ? It is written that it is available at launch.

willothedog

Why is a waste of money? (For the people saying that). It does include the first expansion, only cost me £16 extra as got GPU stacked until 2026.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom