• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you satisfied with the current state of AAA third party games?

Are you satisfied with current state of AAA multiplatform games

• Without a doubt

• No, it's been on the decline for years

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm surprised to hear comments that there aren't enough good 3rd party AAA games. Keep in mind my taste is very broad. I like almost all genres. I have a backlog like you wouldn't believe and I'm always hearing about others huge backlogs.

Anyway, Far Cry 6 got me thinking. So many people down on this series because it's lacking in innovation yet its the only open world FPS on the market with great controls, good visuals, and a fully realized world. I'm ok with more Far Cry, more AC, etc. That's just me though I can see why most people are frustrated with sequel after sequel of similar games. If Far cry or AC stopped though I'd miss them.

My issue is with all the other bullshit surrounding Ubisofts games. The bugs, the woke, the microtransactions etc

EDMIX

It's a fairly modern trend, isn't it?

Sorta started with digital storefronts and much smaller developers/publishers getting their opportunity to stand among the big names.

Doesn't feel like that long ago when there was just first party, third party and "second party"

Ironically, Steam sorta makes me forget about these sort of classifications. Even old and new games just feel like "games" to me. Some better than others

I don't know if I'd say all that.

I recall those terms existing for many generations. Back then the term AAA many times applied to teams, like one would call a team AAA that made big budget games, but using the term for the game itself could have been done back then too tbh.

First, third, second etc has existed for a very, very long time. Like they are terms used in business that even predate gaming itself. So if someone states first party in business, the could be referring to the companies in house products like how Walmart has Great Value and 3rd party might be a vendor and second party might be something they partly fund or market for or have a deal with or something in-between etc.

In legal, business terms...first party simply means yourself lol You hear that term a lot in Real Estate (I used to list properties, money was good lol) you hear it a lot in retail if you work on the business end and in insurance, I'm not shocked it would be used in gaming as you have many partners and vendor type companies like you would if you are Walmart the retailer.

Walmart the place
PS,XB Nintendo the system, echo system etc

Vendor products aka 3rd party like Coco Cola, Frito Lay
3rd party publishers like EA, Ubisoft etc

and clearly first party would be like Sony published or Nintendo published.....aka Great Value lol

Those that don't work in such industries some times thing this lingo is exclusive to gaming or started in gaming etc, it actually didn't. I'd argue over the generations, consumers have used it more yes, but its been used in the industry since it started as its still a business.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I'm surprised to hear comments that there aren't enough good 3rd party AAA games. Keep in mind my taste is very broad. I like almost all genres. I have a backlog like you wouldn't believe and I'm always hearing about others huge backlogs.

Anyway, Far Cry 6 got me thinking. So many people down on this series because it's lacking in innovation yet its the only open world FPS on the market with great controls, good visuals, and a fully realized world. I'm ok with more Far Cry, more AC, etc. That's just me though I can see why most people are frustrated with sequel after sequel of similar games. If Far cry or AC stopped though I'd miss them.

My issue is with all the other bullshit surrounding Ubisofts games. The bugs, the woke, the microtransactions etc
It's like FIFA, you can't keep making the same game. Sure, thematically these Ubisoft games differ slightly, but they are not doing a good job advancing the gameplay.

Fewer games, less risk, more multiplayer and GaaS bs.

We used to get so many great releases in the 360/PS3 days.

Also, why do games have to be so long now? Why can’t we have a 10-12 hour single player game like the old days where we could get a few sequels in one generation rather than 1 game every 2 generations (rockstar)?

I feel like we need shorter games with shorter development time.

Mozzarella

I think the more games i play the more i prefer AA games, something between indie and Triple A. They have decent budget and decent production values and they are able to take risks and not appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Ofcourse some Triple A games are great. Some games start for one platform but then after they succeed will get ports like Divinity OS2 which is also another fine approach.
Triple A multiplatform are very costly, not only you have to make them work on all platforms but also you have to invest in high production values making innovation a problem because a lot of risks will be taken, maybe thats why Ubisoft plays it safe with more sequels and bland similar design, game like Assassin's Creed stopped being Assassin's but they are even scared to change the name lol.
I hope gaming will settle for Indie and AA as a standard, the Triple A games are mostly cinematic and few of them are good, most are mediocre, they invest a lot of money on production values like sounds, voice acting, cinematic cutscenes, bloat open world or linear C/B movie driven game, and in turn will make weak writing, forgettable characters, shallow gameplay, bad level design, low replay value and ofcourse no innovation.
Surely there are some exception.
As for the poll not im not satisfied, recently most Triple A games are just generic and boring.

I'm worried about 2 trends in the recent gaming industry development.
1) The first is games that chase Hollywood, a lot of games are obsessed with becoming movies, drawing Hollywood celebrates, making cutscenes with deep whispered like tone of voice acting which comes of as tryhard Hollywood style, make cutscene, inject political preaching and correctness, bland design, predictable context and lack of creativity and freedom of expression. This can be further proven by the amount of try hard awards in the industry that appeals to Hollywood crowd. Hollywood is already dying, the films are becoming obsolete, the actors are getting forgotten, directors are less talented and the talented ones are too old or died, the industry itself is shadow of its former self, Koreans are starting to take over and generic blockbuster super hero movies for popcorn cinema quick picnic are dominating, no more arthouse films, no more thought provoking films or innovative and creative movies, i mean there are some sure but hidden gems. If games follow this lame industry that preaches no creativity but greed of how to make profit and propaganda then gaming will be doom in some years, doomed not dead but it will face the same fate obsolete.
2) The second trend is the monopoly and fanboyism and brand loyalty of consoles. I really dont like how Xbox and Sony are buying smaller studios, i prefer when smaller devs grow by themselves and make profit little by little, kinda like how CD Project started, or how Fromsoft started, or how Larian started. These companies built themselves by their work and they listen to no one but the company itself, this allows for better creativity and freedom to make what they want, whereas if they are bought by big studios you have to follow a protocol. I dont know how it works but i prefer to have smaller business each with their own work instead of a collection of business all owned by the same lord, kinda similar to how the Media and Hollywood operates in the US, they are all owned by the same 5-6 big corporations. Hell..Disney alone owns a lot of stuff, personally i dont like that, but its the less worrying trend.

The other worrying trends are not recent they are old, ones like unfinished games, cash grab dlc or editions, too much remakes or too much sequels, those are older bad trends.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

It's fucking depressing at this point how badly the AAA industry is struggling.
We are consistently paying MORE for LESS DETAILED, POLISHED, AND COMPLETE GAMES. It's fucking disgusting how it gets a pass as well and everyone acts like it is ok. The moment rockstar fell off was the beginning of the end.

Might as well switch over to indie or start branching out over to Nintendo as jaffe has recommended.
Bro I saw your your GoW tweet on iinstagram today, you're blowing up 😂

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
In terms of gameplay, I don't think any one of them contained any innovation or creativity, but it appears we are quite far on our own views on those particular games, so probably not worth arguing any more.
It's very hard to innovate in games nowadays everything has been done and they were limited by the Jaguar CPUs

Even then, there's still stuff like Kratos axe throwing mechanic that took a lot of work

GametimeUK

There's more than enough 3rd party AAA games that are worth playing to me. I'm satisfied with it. I hate list wars, but here's some in recent memory I've enjoyed.

Dying Light
Tomb Raider
Devil May Cry 5
Nier Automata
Monster Hunter
Watch Dogs 2
Resident Evil Remakes
The Witcher 3
Borderlands 3
MGS5
Titanfall 2
Control
Batman Arkham Knight
Hitman
Overwatch
Rainbow 6
Destiny 2
Yakuza 0
Dragon Quest 11
Shadow of Mordor
Dark Souls
Sekiro

I can only speak for myself, but I found these games well worth my time. There's plenty more I won't have mentioned too. I don't know if this taste makes me "part of the problem", but of course I enjoy my fair share of indie titles too.

I'm more upset that it seems after the PS360 gen, felt like we didn't get a bunch of new franchises for years. I was/am more worried that the bigger investments needed in AAA games since then mean less risk for pubs/devs.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’ll be honest, I think gaming is in a bit of a slump and has been for some time. Maybe what’s stopping pure excellence is Covid but really the majority of games are by the numbers with prettier graphics.

id rather them go back to a bit simpler graphics and really try something new and innovative but I totally understand they will never do that. It wouldn’t work for marketing and fan boys would attack it like crazy.

I mean, there’s huge games on the horizon but I bet these are majorly just games we have seen before but with prettier graphics. Starfield will probably be great, but will it be fallout 3 in space? Hood of war will be awesome but it will be god of war ps4 2.0. I bet fable ends up being a great current 360 fable with better graphics.

don’t think we will get anything crazy this Gen, but I’m patiently waiting to be proven wrong And I want to be.

metroid dread felt like a breath of fresh air and thats basically a super fine tuned version of a 30 year old franchise But the movement and gameplay was god like so give me more of that. I’d take multiple 8 to 10 hour games that leave me wanting more than these endless story driven 30 to 60 hour behemoths that are by the numbers assassins creed / Ubisoft clones. I’d rather watch a series on Netflix with the mrs.

Last edited:
I think generally the AAA landscape has gotten more stale and been on the decline, but there’s still enough single player games to keep me satisfied.

Multiplayer gaming is just garbage now though. It seems like all the major FPS games just get worse with each release (maybe Halo Infinite will be good?), and there’s micro transactions up the ass. I used to be big into fighting games but it’s harder and harder to care when every major one has like 5 seasons passes and you have to wait 3 years to get “complete editions.” The last fighting game to come out that I really enjoyed was Soulcalibur 6 and even then it was basically a budget title; the graphics barely look better than SC5 and a bunch of fan fav characters are DLC. I ended up just buying most of the DLC characters with Microsoft points.

Overall I'm satisfied yes. There's a shit load of quality games out right now to play. I'm trying to be super selective these days with what I decide to play and I'm still swimming in games. That's playing on only one console.

There's definitely a lack of innovation in the AAA space and a lot of focus on sequels and GAAS games but as a whole we are in a golden age right now, IMO.

TastyPastry

i think japan still does great things. can't get enough of resident evil even though they keep releasing them almost yearly plus i can't wait for dragons dogma 2. then you have atlus with the next persona, yoko taro is going to make the next nier, rockstar will release gta 6 in the coming years. it's just that activision and ubisoft have become complete shit.

Top Bottom