• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

argh swap magic. please help me figure out what's wrong.

BuddyC

A few weeks ago I ordered Swap Magic boot discs and a Magic Slide for my PS2. Had no problems with the CD boot disc, but I didn't really have anything to test out the DVD version with, so I let it be.

Well, I went to use the DVD disc today and it just won't load. Takes the PS2 forever to recognize the disc, and then it does the PlayStation 2 fade out, then ...nothing.

The problem is, I don't know if it's the PS2 (which has problems reading DVDs anyways) or the disc, and there's no way for me to test it on another PS2 because I honestly don't know anyone around here that owns one.

If it's the disc, I'll just contact the retailer and see what they can do. But if it's the system, I'll just scrap the entire situation and buy a modded unit. Either way takes time, which is something I don't have a lot of.

So, uh, advice?

Pellham

Banned
yeah you should probably try exchanging the disc first and if that doesn't work, then you know it's your system. although certain games reportedly don't work with it anyway...

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Stick with it -- mine refuse to boot sometimes, or take a minute or so to load (especially after I got the hard drive, oddly) as well. If it doesn't "catch" on the try, I power down the system and boot again.

I've noticed that it'll almost never boot if you use the tray eject to insert the SM disc at the system menu either, so I always cold-boot with it already in.

BuddyC said:
A few weeks ago I ordered Swap Magic boot discs and a Magic Slide for my PS2. Had no problems with the CD boot disc, but I didn't really have anything to test out the DVD version with, so I let it be.

Well, I went to use the DVD disc today and it just won't load. Takes the PS2 forever to recognize the disc, and then it does the PlayStation 2 fade out, then ...nothing.

The problem is, I don't know if it's the PS2 (which has problems reading DVDs anyways) or the disc, and there's no way for me to test it on another PS2 because I honestly don't know anyone around here that owns one.

If it's the disc, I'll just contact the retailer and see what they can do. But if it's the system, I'll just scrap the entire situation and buy a modded unit. Either way takes time, which is something I don't have a lot of.

So, uh, advice?

What version PS2 do you have and is it refurbished?
I know that V1-V3 can give problems and I'm not sure why.
I think it has to do with the Motherboard revision or the craptastic Version A&B laser units.
Try PS2Scene for anwers.

I went through a handful of PS2's until I finally broke down and bought a V10 PS2 and haven't had any problems since.

You can also try CD Loader if you haven't already.

The End

I've had no trouble with either swapmagic disc on my v2 ps2. In fact, the cd swap disc boots faster than normal (ie, US) cd games.

bitwise

Banned
i used to have a LOT of trouble with my swap magic disc

the problem with my disc was, the hole in the center was too big somehow. so it wouldnt spin right. i took some scotch tape and taped a layer around the inside of the hole then scratched the tape up with my fingernail. so now it "catches" and spins fine.

black_13

Banned
My Swap disk doesn't boot a few rare times and when that happens I usually take it out and rub the surface of the disk with my finger and put it back in.

Usually it works, if not then i restart my PS2 and it's deffinitly work.

BuddyC

Whilst picking up Kirby Canvas Curse, the friendly clerk over at Circuit City reminded me of their "no questions asked" return policy.

Turns out the DVD disc won't boot properly on one of those fancy, slim PSTwos either. So yea, definitely the disc.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
black_13 said:
My Swap disk doesn't boot a few rare times and when that happens I usually take it out and rub the surface of the disk with my finger and put it back in.

I rub mine on my shirt vigorously. Initially it started as an impromptu cleaning method, now it's become voodoo booting ritual just like (and as useless as) blowing in a NES cart.

Top Bottom