• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article about PC RPG's up at IGN...

Pakkidis

PC RPG

A good read but not too informative, nothing you wouldn't already know if you play PC RPG's anyways. Im very sad that Troika games went under considering all they wanted to do was to make CRPG's. The good news in all this is that some members are now over at Bethsuda working on Fallou 3 (rumor?!?)

I think this is a genre that has the most potential for growth especially with new technology developers could think of new and interesting ways in how to develop characters from a gameplay perspective.

The End

I think the "problem", if there is one, is that with the number of "PC" RPGs ported to the Xbox, they've become a "console" genre now.

Borys

Banned
PC RPGs are dead. Everything is/ will be ported from Xbox/ 360.

Another great genre bites the dust.

And that article is worthless:

More significantly, Knights of the Old Republic offered a level of moral flexibility never before seen in any game.

Ever heard of Fallout, goddamn moron? Oh wait, it didn't come out on consoles so you probably DIDN'T.

Yes, I'm bitter and I miss the old PC RPGs like Might and Magic, Lands of Lore, Ultima, Ultima Underworld and so many more. Nowadays every RPG is a worthless console port and if it isn't it bombs HARD (Arcanum, ToEE, Bloodlines).

R.I.P. Troika

Gothic III is my only hope now.

Borys

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
Borys: Dragon Age? I'm pretty sure Bioware's keeping that PC only.

Lots of rumors say otherwise.

I think I need to launch DOSBox right now and calm myself down...

And Square, hurry the fuck up with G3 and FF12.

Worst case scenario for next-gen: not only PC RPGs die but JRPGs also.

The End

Borys said:
Lots of rumors say otherwise.

I think I need to launch DOSBox right now and calm myself down...

And Square, hurry the fuck up with G3 and FF12.

Worst case scenario for next-gen: not only PC RPGs die but JRPGs also.

Nah. JRPGs will exist on a "nostalgia" level basically forever, even if it's just Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

Pimpbaa

It's a shame about pc rpg's. I blame pc gamers, most only seem to care about realistic multiplayer first person shooters.

Excelion

Banned
Hervé Caen should be the one to blame: he destroyed Interplay, Baldur's Gate 3 and the real Fallout 3.

I think someone should tell all professional journalists what is turn based and what is real time.

madara

Pimpbaa said:
It's a shame about pc rpg's. I blame pc gamers, most only seem to care about realistic multiplayer first person shooters.
That is a good point there. Also second gen MMORPG's have been so watered down. I mean could WOW possibly hold your hand anymore besides just typing /autolevel ? Hopefully 3rd gen, particularly Vanguard can put the challenge and immersion of a real online world back into our hands.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It is true that WoW is quite a lot easier than most other grind-fests in MMORPG's, but then you have to consider the fact that it is atm the 2nd highest selling MMORPG globally - by the time it hits China properly, look out. Is this the reason why? Of course the naysayers will just explain that this is Blizzard, it's a Warcraft franchise.. but I think a lot of it has to do with it's easy accessibility.

I know that there is no way I could play anything else MMORPG wise.. I have had WoW since March and my highest is lvl 34 - just have too much other things to do rather than sit down for several hours (unthinkable in my case scenario - my longest sessions are about 2-3 hours).

PC Gaijin

That article was pretty bad. There have been PC RPGs (and when I say PC RPGs I'm including all the RPGs from the home computers of the 80s) that have attempted to do something about his various complaints on game mechanics/setting/environment/story/etc. His overview of RPG "history" is so damn limited I have to wonder if he actually played very many RPGs the last twenty years outside the couple of "big name" titles he listed.

And the comment about moral flexibility in KOTOR was laughable. Morality in KOTOR was quite limited and simple to manipulate. There was a series of games from the mid-80s called Alternate Reality that had a much more sophisticated morality system than KOTOR in terms of how your morality was determined and how it affected your interactions with NPCs. And AR didn't tell you what your morality was with some silly light/dark meter like KOTOR; you had to determine your morality based on remembering how you had behaved in the past and (especially) how NPCs reacted to you.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Reading that article, it seems the writer got most of his ammo for putting together the piece through liberal use of Google, not through actually playing a lot of PC RPGs. There's just so many holes in the article, and a feeling that everything was researched, as opposed to speaking from experience.

Top Bottom