• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Article: The King of Final Fantasy reveals why the series is “struggling”

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I find it weird he says it's currently struggling, FF14 is massive in both success and fan reception, 7 remake had glowing reception and presumably outsold internal expectations, and people seem pretty on board from what we've seen of 16. I feel like it's finding it's way now.
lol exactly. FF7 righted the ship and FF16 is very highly anticipated. FF7-2 is due out next year which is a very fast turnaround. Article is like 6 years too late.

Kokoloko85

With FF14 and FF7remake, its probably the best its been since the PS2 days. FF16 looks amazing too.
Now we need a FF collection and FF9 Remake

McCarth

Seems fair considering XV is the worst AAA game released in the last 20 years.

Big hill to climb back out of.

Square Enix really started to enjoy the whiff of their own farts right around the time of Final Fantasy XIII. Between then and FFVII Remake, they were lost for many of the aforementioned reasons already in the thread.

Amiga

Knee-jerk firing of Sekiguchi(real king of FF) started the downfall. never reached the same peaks he took them. Last great FF was Lost Odyssey, Sekiguchi did it completely independent of SE, that game was for sure better than all FF made since he was pushed out.
If he had good funding he should put a good team together instead of being stuck with undermanned projects with shoestring budgets.

While being a good game, XII was the start of the decline for me.

- Didn't like XIII
- XIII-2 just a tiny bit better but still not good
- XIII-3... didn't even play it.
- XIV 1.0 we all know how that turned out
- XV was a total mess of a game

It took Yoshi-P's vision to save XIV and in what seems to be so many years, I am hopeful again for the next mainline entry.

That being said, VII Remake is in my top 5 of all time.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Have they ever, really struggled past the Enix merger? I mean, with online user reception, maybe, but actual dollars and cents, "this is gonna sink us," struggle?

Because XIII wouldn't have been so universally panned if there weren't millions of people who bought it and were disappointed. Same with OG XIV, and XV. The biggest key to curbing fan disappointment would be to either

A. Return to the principles of the company in the early to mid 90's.

B. Do something so uncharacteristic of your heritage that people know off the bat, "We're not the target demographic, anymore," and weed out the people who are gonna make a stink just by making games that appeal to other players.

So far, they seem to be going with A.5. Like...trying to branch out into contemporary gaming concepts/tech/dev but not really clicking, and at the same time, flaunting all of this nostalgia in the form of Remakes, re-releases, and reboots, like..."This Isn't your grandfather's JRPG! But trust us, look at these old games and characters we Made, they're great!"

kiphalfton

I really liked FF XV. The story was truly moving, I loved the combat, and the whole "four besties go on an adventure together and go camping and get into shenanigans" was something really special. And from what I've seen of 16, it does not look so good. It looks like a regression, to be honest. XV had it's issues, but the core gameplay loop was actually really fun. Some of the side quests were filler and a bit tedious, but they can work on that for the next one. 16 not being open-world is a bummer, and from what I've seen of the combat, it just really does not look so good.

Definitely a wait and see for me.

- Going open world did nothing for the game. And that's generally the case for most open world games.
- The relationships in the game weren't really fleshed out at all.
- The combat was boring and the magic system felt tacked on.
- The side quests are repetitive collectathons and/or "go here and kill this".

Honestly anything they release has a better chance of being better, due to how low a bar XV set.

peronmls

I don't know if FFXIII was on budget given what's been said about it, but yes they did have the highest output and least number of delays.

The problem is FFXIII-2 showed they could have had an open-world FFXIII from the start and that restricting the game wasn't necessary. As a matter of fact, the original FFXIII was said by Square to be influenced by COD so I believe the linear design may have actually been on purpose.

But other than that everything else that team did has been stellar so far. As much as you don't like them being assigned to FF7Remake, it's arguable that Square actually needed it to keep going giving how badly managed the company is, and by making it episodic they don't risk having high sales but low profits since they aren't pouring large amounts of money into one major game. Splitting it into parts means less cash wasted on each release.
People don't buy COD for single player mode AFAIK unless this is about COD1-3.

Furthermore it's gameplay and combat have only been getting worse ever since Stormblood, butchered in Shadowbringers and dumbed down further in Endwalker. And as far as I can see it very much is going to copy WoW right down to having endgame raids being the only content they have to do. Other then that it's play Market Board, House Lottery(they fucked this thing over and made gil worthless since you won't ever win)) and relic grinds.

Gameplay is better now then it ever was imo. I play on controller so that's probably why I prefer how it is now. Less bloat of abilities.
I think FF as a brand is very successful however I can agree it's struggling since FF15 tanked and FF14 is primarily a hit because of success coasting on past FF entries and implementing them into the game and that there really isn't anything else that is a "new" FF game.

I am a long time FF fan and I think the story in FF14 is far superior to the older games since Shadowbringers. Extremely well written villain and story. I am not sure what you mean by coasting on past FF entries as the story in entirely new but with some fanservice to old games mixed in.
The best composers are on that as well, with Hamauzu and Suzuki chipping in, but limited to remakes of Uematsu tracks that aren't that great.

Masayoshi Soken is a much better composer then Masashi Hamauzu. The music in FF13 was as soulless and bland as it ever got in a mainline FF game

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's struggling because it's taken them so long to make games that Final Fantasy has drastically lost relevance. Final Fantasy 13 released in 2009, Final Fantasy 14 was/is an MMO, Final Fantasy 15 released in 2016. 7 years between mainline non-MMO games is a lot, and it will be the same length between 15 and 16. How is somebody expected to become a fan of a series in modern times when the modern games have been so spaced out, and generally regarded as some of the worst in the series. Sure it's probably the biggest non-Pokemon JRPG, but the lead seems to be slipping away as games like Persona and Xenoblade start gaining much more mainstream recognition. Much will depend on how 16 does, if it has similar reception to the Final Fantasy games since the start of the PS3/360 era the franchise as a whole could be in danger of no longer being "the" non-Pokemon JRPG
I think this is it. Final Fantasy used to be yearly and came out quick, if not that it wouldn't be long before a game came out especially in the ps1 days. The higher production values are nice but sometimes I wonder if just bringing back the turn based combat would have been a better idea
And I do mean turn based, the best thing about turn based is that you can view your situation and figure out the best plan of action. Active time battle doesn't let you do that when the enemies are wailing on you 24/7

I think this is it. Final Fantasy used to be yearly and came out quick, if not that it wouldn't be long before a game came out especially in the ps1 days. The higher production values are nice but sometimes I wonder if just bringing back the turn based combat would have been a better idea
And I do mean turn based, the best thing about turn based is that you can view your situation and figure out the best plan of action. Active time battle doesn't let you do that when the enemies are wailing on you 24/7

I remember reading somewhere here that some folks were vehemently against the concept of not hyper-focusing on graphical fidelity, as if that was the reason people ever bought Final Fantasy. It never was.

Thankfully it seems that they have been fixing the issues with the franchise. Primarily focusing on releasing quality games that have flaws, but ones you can overlook as long as the story/music/gameplay is great. Sadly though I wonder how long it can keep it up as it isn’t an issue with the devs at this point. It is an issue with the heads of the company.

It takes time to turn a ship around.

"Speedrun methods on how to kill a company's most premiere franchise, set them back to the stone age of gaming, and layoff over 90% of it's employees - Click here to see how"

What? You do realize turnbased is not at all the “stone age of gaming”, right? That some of the greatest games of all time released relatively recently and used that style of gameplay? Octopath Traveller? Dragon Quest XI?

What? You do realize turnbased is not at all the “stone age of gaming”, right? That some of the greatest games of all time released relatively recently and used that style of gameplay? Octopath Traveller? Dragon Quest XI?
Not specifically turn based itself(as you've said Dragon Quest XI and Persona exists), but bringing their top franchise(s) back to SNES style 2d turn based? That style of game is no longer multi-million selling. The company would have to fully die and then be reborn as an indie company with a small staff, and then they'll just end up ridiculed by this forum anyway.

amigastar

ironically, final fantasy is one of the few "successful" long time JRPG so far, which every sequel/spinoff will sell millions anyway.
It's funny, they called it Final Fantasy because i was planned to be the last game from them but was a big success.

Not specifically turn based itself(as you've said Dragon Quest XI and Persona exists), but bringing their top franchise(s) back to SNES style 2d turn based? That style of game is no longer multi-million selling. The company would have to fully die and then be reborn as an indie company with a small staff, and then they'll just end up ridiculed by this forum anyway.

That I can definitely agree with. If they bring back turn-based Into the AAA FF mainline games, it needs to be a proper evolution. For spinoffs and smaller projects though? I am perfectly happy if they use turnbased. Bravely Default is a Final Fantasy game in all but name (and is a spiritual sequel to the 4 Heroes of Light DS game). Amazing time with that Turnbased system *and* it evolved it adding the brave/default systems.

It's funny, they called it Final Fantasy because i was planned to be the last game from them but was a big success.
No. It was originally going to be called ‘Fighting Fantasy’ because Sakaguchi wanted the abbreviation to be “FF”. However it was already taken so he siwtched it to Final Fantasy instead.

really, ok?

Yea, I think it was thanks to a mistranslated interview with Sakaguchi. This *was* going to be a make/break game for the company as Sakaguchi wanted to make an RPG for the longest time and kept pestering the upper echelons of the company and they were thinking of leaving the gaming industry as they weren’t making a tremendous profit with their titles.

So between that and trying to come up the name, there was some crossed wires.

HD era 360/PS3 is when the series began to lose its footing. A new Final Fantasy used to be a showcase for hardware. They used to set the bar very high. I think XVI looks very promising, good team behind it. Likely won't be some genre defining moment but at least it seems to be a more focused and realistic effort.

XV (which was originally going to be Versus XIII) is a major blemish on the series, the absolute lowest point. I was committed to play through it and do everything the game had to offer regardless. I waited so long and it was my most anticipated game for years. Somewhere down the line when it became apparent how much trouble SE was having during development, I knew it wasn't going to shape up well. I still had faith that they would make it all work in the end. But that's all it did, work, as a product. The game went from being just ok (still a major let down) during the open world section of the game to an absolute piece of shit once the linear sections of the game came in. Story would be the worst in the series as well but I think XIII still holds that crown.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Best Final Fantasy to this day is still FFIX
Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

End of Gen filler, people have a hard on for it because of its (back-to-roots) medieval setting.
But in reality the characters are probably the most forgettable in the series and the best character is a fucking Black Mage 🙄
combat was probably the worse out the 3 PSX titles and its painful slow.
And the music aren't even on par with the music you don't remember from FFVII & FFVIII...wait there isn't any you don't remember from them games, silly me 😏
Not to say it isn't a good FF, it is.
but it definitely felt like a Phone in effort just to release something that year while they was working on FFX for the PS2.

As for that article title...the dude wasn't even with Square when the best FF's was made so how is he the King of Final Fantasy?
because he save FFXIV and made a shit load of money from a subscription service?
we've yet to see if he can actually make a proper FF, and despite the hype... which is due to the same reason IX is seen with Rose tinted glasses.
I'm not convinced.
but we have FFVIIR.... despite the changes they've made in it, which is another wall if text.
it's still the best SE has produced in long time.

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

End of Gen filler, people have a hard on for it because of its (back-to-roots) medieval setting.
But in reality the characters are probably the most forgettable in the series and the best character is a fucking Black Mage 🙄
And the music aren't even on par with the music you don't remember from FFVII & FFVIII...wait there isn't any you don't remember from them games, silly me 😏
but it definitely felt like a Phone in effort just to release something that year while they was working on FFX for the PS2.

As for that article title...the dude wasn't even with Square when the best FF's was made so how is he the King of Final Fantasy?
because he save FFXIV and made a shit load of money from a subscription service?
we've yet to see if he can actually make a proper FF, and despite the hype... which is due to the same reason IX is seen with Rose tinted glasses.
I'm not convinced.
but we have FFVIIR.... despite the changes they've made in it, which is another wall if text.

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

chriskun

I think a big reason why the games arent as big is because they aren’t logically coherent. Why are people fighting with swords when there are flying ships and robots and shit? How is the main protaganist kicking ass when he looks like the femboy I was cucking last night? Sure a niche of people are going to be into that, and a large percentage of them wear utilikilts, fedoras, and ponytails, but adult society at large is going to look at the characters in these games and be confused.

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

I'm not convinced.

Anyways, joking GIFs aside I have to disagree with the vast majority of what you wrote here.

People enjoy it because it had an incredibly well designed world, memorable characters, some of the greatest music in the franchises history, top tier graphics for the platform, amazing cinematics, and a near perfect story.

What is wrong with Vivi? Steiner’s growth is just as excellent, as is Zidane’s struggles with his own identity. Garnet and Eiko’s relationship is also nothing to say is “forgettable”. Freya‘s fight for her lover and desperately trying to save her fallen kingdom? Kuja’s battle with his own mortality?

combat was probably the worse out the 3 PSX titles and its painful slow
I mean, I agree with it being slow with all the starting and ending animations - but are you seriously trying to say this si worse than FF8? The game with the incredibly long, drawn out, and grindy draw system? The system that actively punishes you for leveling and engaging in combat?

Now I know you are just trolling. The songs here are just as memorable as any final fantasy game. As is 7 and 8. Fisherman’s Wharf? Liberi Fatali? Cosmo Canyon? One Winged Angel? Vamo’ala Flamenco? A Place to Call Home? Melodies of Life?

And this shows how little you know about the development of this game. Sakaguchi, Uematsu, and the rest of the team went *hard* into this game. All fucking in. I would highly suggest you read up on the development history of FFIX.

King is absolutely silly and shouldn’t be used to describe Yoshi P. However, he is instrumental in getting the franchise back on its feet after numerous failed projects.

He created one of the greatest MMORPGs and JRPGs of all time. You can say it isn’t a “proper” Final Fantasy all you like, but you would be egregiously wrong.

I'm not convinced.
This just sounds like you never actually played FFXIV Or IX.

And I am glad hyou enjoyed it! Also sorry you didn’t enjoy IX, but that doesn’t mean half of what you wrote isn’t completely ignorant and silly.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyways, joking GIFs aside I have to disagree with the vast majority of what you wrote here.

People enjoy it because it had an incredibly well designed world, memorable characters, some of the greatest music in the franchises history, top tier graphics for the platform, amazing cinematics, and a near perfect story.
What can I say other then I don't agree..
What is wrong with Vivi? Steiner’s growth is just as excellent, as is Zidane’s struggles with his own identity. Garnet and Eiko’s relationship is also nothing to say is “forgettable”. Freya‘s fight for her lover and desperately trying to save her fallen kingdom? Kuja’s battle with his own mortality?
Steiner was probably my favourite out the bunch, Vivi is fine but I don't get the Best character some FFIX fans throw around.
I mean, I agree with it being slow with all the starting and ending animations - but are you seriously trying to say this si worse than FF8? The game with the incredibly long, drawn out, and grindy draw system? The system that actively punishes you for leveling and engaging in combat?
Bad choice for an example.
The Best battles I've had in a FF game features heavily in VIII.
In FFIX The battle system wasn't just long winded because of animations, the inclusion of the 4th member in battle made it longer too.
The only thing I did like was the Summons designs
Now I know you are just trolling. The songs here are just as memorable as any final fantasy game. As is 7 and 8. Fisherman’s Wharf? Liberi Fatali? Cosmo Canyon? One Winged Angel? Vamo’ala Flamenco? A Place to Call Home? Melodies of Life?
Sorry I just don't have any that stick in my head like FFVII/VIII and X for that matter.
I can't agree when I don't remember them.
And this shows how little you know about the development of this game. Sakaguchi, Uematsu, and the rest of the team went *hard* into this game. All fucking in. I would highly suggest you read up on the development history of FFIX.
Early development started in 1998 a year before FFX started development.
In less then half a year Project X was in development with the biggest team SE had ever put together for a game.
So I'm sure the people that worked on it went *Hard* into making it, but SE didn't
King is absolutely silly and shouldn’t be used to describe Yoshi P. However, he is instrumental in getting the franchise back on its feet after numerous failed projects.
Yeah I give him that, but like I said I'm waiting on him to make a new mainline FF that's not online, and FFXVI is his proving ground.
He created one of the greatest MMORPGs and JRPGs of all time. You can say it isn’t a “proper” Final Fantasy all you like, but you would be egregiously wrong.
Oh it's definitely a FF game and it's definitely one of the best MMORPG...
This just sounds like you never actually played FFXIV Or IX.
I own this for PS4, I also upgraded to the PS5 version
i38zzan.jpg

and
0UCp1fM.jpg

😉
And I am glad hyou enjoyed it! Also sorry you didn’t enjoy IX, but that doesn’t mean half of what you wrote isn’t completely ignorant and silly.
I did it's probably the first time in long time it felt like I was playing a Final Fantasy game, but it's a remake... so.

Don't get me wrong I like FFIX, and I would be there day one if they did a Remake.
I just believe it's the weakest of the 3 on PSX

Last edited:
Top Bottom