• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Producer Yoshi-P Says It May Be Time for the Younger Generation to Handle Final Fantasy XVII

I'll always be grateful to Yoshi-P and CBU3 for giving us the incredible FFXIV, but they did a lousy job with FFXVI. There were a lot of things about it that were wonderful, that were marred down by really awful design in regards to gameplay loop, level design, pacing, lack of RPG elements, and side quests. Easily the most disappointing game of the year for me.

FFVII:R was the best single player FF game we've had since FFX, and I'll die on that hill.
Agree except it was better than FFX as well!

Whitecrow

Banned
I'll always be grateful to Yoshi-P and CBU3 for giving us the incredible FFXIV, but they did a lousy job with FFXVI. There were a lot of things about it that were wonderful, that were marred down by really awful design in regards to gameplay loop, level design, pacing, lack of RPG elements, and side quests. Easily the most disappointing game of the year for me.

FFVII:R was the best single player FF game we've had since FFX, and I'll die on that hill.
I wont stop you from dying on any hill you want. But I cant agree on that.
Glad you enjoyed it that much tho.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
He let the younger generation handle Endwalker's writing which was garbage in comparison to Shadowbringers. Yoshi P would actually have to train a younger generation of devs to get anywhere. Thus far his words are shallow and their meaning empty.

Kind of like how Nintendo trains new blood and somehow still makes great games. Nintendo picked up MercurySteam and Monolithsoft and whipped them into shape.

Dynasty8

Everything I despise about "modern day" gaming tropes was present in FFXVI.

Square has honestly lost their way and they are playing it safer than safe at this point. I really have no hope for XVII or whatever comes after. The entire mentality of this company needs to change first before getting new or young directors for the franchise.

Bkdk

Unless MS of Sony give them money, next big ff numbered sequel that is single player isn't happening anytime soon. The next big ff project they would do is very likely to be ff6 and 9 remake. At least that's where they would put their A team on. You probably won't see a next single player numbered ff sequel in the next 10 years.

Deerock71

Yoshi-P:
mad gran torino GIF

Pejo

Or just old school FF. In general I like turn-based battles but not when it’s complex with too many choices so even a small fight take minutes. I think there needs to be a way to play it fast.
I like what they did in Fantasian by ”collecting” random battles for a big fight later. That fight wasn’t very special but it was an interesting idea to tackle the problem where you end up sighing when it’s time for another battle just because you want to traverse the map.

But I feel like I need to play FFXVI before I can seriously request how they do the next one. I’ve seen several people say it was their GOTY, I plan to try it when it’s out on PC.
I think FF needs to drop the damn "Break bar" nonsense. Doing shitty damage until you can do actual damage is not fun, and I don't find it all that strategic either.

Yes, please. While I appreciated the world building, music and spectacle of FF16...it was easily the worst title to actually play. I cannot believe they thought people would enjoy that combat system past the first couple hours.

Raven117

FfX sucks. So… that’s not real hard.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
It really doesn't suck. It tops out most fan lists and polls for a reason.

Fine if you don't like it tho.

It is a thing with Final Fantasy. There are rarely ever conversations where "I didn't like this entry, but I really enjoyed this other one." Instead, it often is "This game is shit and ruined the franchise and the only good ones are x y and z." Its always an all or nothing conversations with Final Fantasy games for some folks.

Raven117

It really doesn't suck. It tops out most fan lists and polls for a reason.

Fine if you don't like it tho.
All of them are wrong too. As are you.

(You are proving my point… no… ffx doesn’t suck but I found it woefully inadequate compared to ffvi-ffix). It was too different. Too simple. Dumb story. See how it all works?

Square will never be able to appease the entire fan base. Better just to go on and try new things.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Minor rant...

I just played a simple game made by an indepedent studio .. a simple 2d turn based rpg and was miles better than any FF since FF X ... it blows my mind a company like SE being unable to do a real FF for so long ... stop with this "modern" bullshit , go back to your roots and basics, your fans are still alive and waiting to play your "classic games" .. wait for us to freacking die before you start chasing new trends, bloody stupidity.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Minor rant...

I just played a simple game made by an indepedent studio .. a simple 2d turn based rpg and was miles better than any FF since FF X ... it blows my mind a company like SE being unable to do a real FF for so long ... stop with this "modern" bullshit , go back to your roots and basics, your fans are still alive and waiting to play your "classic games" .. wait for us to freacking die before you start chasing new trends, bloody stupidity.
What's the game?

Fabieter

They will go back to turn based, critics who always wanted back to the roots final fantasy will say its a step backwards and fans who hated the combat system on final fantasy games for 20 years will still hate it. Its my favourite franchise of all time but "fans"(they aint fans srsly) will always find a way to bitch about it.

• Empathy
Reactions: K2D

Go_Ly_Dow

They will go back to turn based, critics who always wanted back to the roots final fantasy will say its a step backwards and fans who hated the combat system on final fantasy games for 20 years will still hate it. Its my favourite franchise of all time but "fans"(they aint fans srsly) will always find a way to bitch about it.

Yeah they're in a difficult situation. Apart from basically FF7 and FF9 which seem universally loved by the majority who have played them, the discourse around the rest is very divisive and toxic basically.

But I think FF7Rs combat is loved by the majority so this may be the best template for the series.

Or let's say they wanna go the action route, how about evolving FF16s combat by adding character switching, elemental damage, team attacks and in general just making it more difficult and thus more tactile and less ability spam.

If there's one thing that should be obvious to them now it's that the fan base at large enjoys controlling multiple characters, enjoys both tactical play and spectacle battles and wants access to a range of magic that has an elemental component.

Fabieter

Yeah they're in a difficult situation. Apart from basically FF7 and FF9 which seem universally loved by the majority who have played them, the discourse around the rest is very divisive and toxic basically.

But I think FF7Rs combat is loved by the majority so this may be the best template for the series.

Or let's say they wanna go the action route, how about evolving FF16s combat by adding character switching, elemental damage, team attacks and in general just making it more difficult and thus more tactile and less ability spam.

If there's one thing that should be obvious to them now it's that the fan base at large enjoys controlling multiple characters, enjoys both tactical play and spectacle battles and wants access to a range of magic that has an elemental component.

Well for me the reason why i love every single entry is that they always switch things up so i dont want to keep either for future entrys. It makes sense to keep the final fantasy remake battle system for the trilogy but i think its enough. I actually think the stagger mechanic is getting old. If they have to make it turn based an bring us something new that way but it won't be enough to get universal critical acclaim no matter what they do.

Madflavor

All of them are wrong too. As are you.

(You are proving my point… no… ffx doesn’t suck but I found it woefully inadequate compared to ffvi-ffix). It was too different. Too simple. Dumb story. See how it all works?

Square will never be able to appease the entire fan base. Better just to go on and try new things.

Ok. Kinda disappointing you doubled down on embarrassing yourself. Especially after I said it’s fine if you don’t like it.

Fabieter

Ok. Kinda disappointing you doubled down on embarrassing yourself. Especially after I said it’s fine if you don’t like it.

The point wasn't actually that ff x is bad the point is no final fantasy is as bad as "the fans" make them. And I agree that the only way forward is try new things instead of appease old fans who ain't interested in the franchise anyway.

Madflavor

The point wasn't actually that ff x is bad the point is no final fantasy is as bad as "the fans" make them. And I agree that the only way forward is try new things instead of appease old fans who ain't interested in the franchise anyway.

I don’t think that was his point, and if it was he did a poor job conveying it because it was also sandwiched between him literally saying people are wrong for thinking FFX was good.

Last edited:

Elios83

Whatever they do someone won't be pleased since they change formula everytime :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But imo the FF7 Remake/Rebirth style is the closest to my idea of what a modern AAA FF should be.

Also I hope that Yoshida is bluffing and development is already underway on the next mainline game otherwise it will be a cross gen PS6 title).

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They need to understand what they did wrong first. It’s not a matter of age or perspective. Is the fact that they sold this game as a game of thrones story then did a 180 half way through and turned it into jrpg trash. The combat is fantastic. The setpieces are awe inspiring and the characters were all very likeable. But you can’t design a story driven game like a mmo with fetch quests that make people want to kill themselves and you can’t lie about the story.

This should’ve been a story about Clive and Joshua earning back their throne. That’s it. They had a great game here but they fucked it up.

Fabieter

I don’t think that was his point, and if it was he did a poor job conveying it because it was also sandwiched between him literally saying people are wrong for thinking FFX was good.

Well If he thinks that he's wrong but so is everyone that thinks any mainline final fantasy is bad.

Go_Ly_Dow

They need to understand what they did wrong first. It’s not a matter of age or perspective. Is the fact that they sold this game as a game of thrones story then did a 180 half way through and turned it into jrpg trash. The combat is fantastic. The setpieces are awe inspiring and the characters were all very likeable. But you can’t design a story driven game like a mmo with fetch quests that make people want to kill themselves and you can’t lie about the story.

This should’ve been a story about Clive and Joshua earning back their throne. That’s it. They had a great game here but they fucked it up.

Lol, that's not true. The very first trailers and the opening sections of the game were pointing towards a grander narrative that was more mysterious and implied
a greater role for Clive. The hooded man, metia, the voices he'd hear each time he recieved for of Ultima's powers or was nearby "mythos"....

FF16 covers many themes, from revenge, duty, loyalty, nationhood, family bonds, friendship, love, divinity, religion, worship, consciouness, sacrifice etc...

I for one much preferred themes it tackled over a simple boring revenge story about one kingdom succeeding over others. It felt confidently like it's own fantasy world and not just another LOTR or GoT knock off.

Last edited:
Variety of ages is the best way to get the best ideas offering unique insight the other one might overlook.

Except turn-based. Fuck that shit. Gimme all action combat for future FFs. Going through Strangers of Paradise right now and it has far more fun combat than anything previous.

peronmls

Wtf is wrong with these devs? Veteran devs are dying out and now we are getting 5 dollar mechanics from newer generation because they don’t know how to make a polished games and come up with good ideas.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

They should just stick to tradition and keep the game turn-based.

Variety of ages is the best way to get the best ideas offering unique insight the other one might overlook.

Except turn-based. Fuck that shit. Gimme all action combat for future FFs. Going through Strangers of Paradise right now and it has far more fun combat than anything previous.
8cb8yt.jpg

FF Fans
south park mob GIF

Facism

hopefully this younger generation bins ff16's bad side quests, it's Yakuza-like cutscenes that always start with the camera tilting down to show 2 low-quality character models reusing the same animations for the 50th time and then finish with a tilt up, and maybe some actual useful crafting.

Top Bottom