• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Baby Boomers Leave The Workforce, What Will Happen To Videogames?

Fbh

Meet your GTA7 main character

person-nah-fam-this-card-is-bussin-on-god-fr-adam-creator-makes-my-shit-look-mid-no-cap

StueyDuck

Banned
Games are trending worse whether the baby boomers are there or not.

These days personality hairs have so much power of everything that it doesn't matter how many old farts you keep around.

Your not getting that sweet sweet dei money from Blackrock by just simply making a good game with passionate developers.

Games are trending worse whether the baby boomers are there or not.

These days personality hairs have so much power of everything that it doesn't matter how many old farts you keep around.

Your not getting that sweet sweet dei money from Blackrock by just simply making a good game with passionate developers.
Please send me the bingo card you’re using to say this many buzz words in one post.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Who is a prolific baby boomer industry known that’s made an impact? I can’t think of any.

Does Miyamoto fall into this category? Howard? Kojima? Spencer?

Who can we attribute to this to age category in this industry?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love how OP assumes that the 60-75 year old work demographic is holding up the entire industry.

Only place that might be true is Japan, and those dudes "leaving the workforce" means they're dead.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Who is a prolific baby boomer industry known that’s made an impact? I can’t think of any.

Does Miyamoto fall into this category? Howard? Kojima? Spencer?

Myamoto and Kojima are baby boomers, yes. Todd Howard is gen X. Dunno who you mean by Spencer, I hope its not Phil Spencer lmao

Lots of early pc gaming people were boomers. Richard Garriott the goat

Sorry for my ignorance but what the hell is Baby Boomers?

people born from 1946-1964. Or in other words, the post-WW2 generation.

Kinda feels like what has happened to Television. I see so many people gravitating to apps like YouTube. Independent content. I guess what I mean is as technology progresses so will the ability to see better AA games. Hell, indies already bring me more joy these days. And they're getting better

bender

What time is it?
Without baby boomers manning the other end of the rope in the tug-of-war with later generations, gaming will be dragged to the gates of hell with everything being a season pass, lootbox, digital currency, and/or other MTX.

unlurkified

I think it’ll definitely be felt when Kojima (60) retires. DS2 might just be his last game which would be sad. I think Miyamoto may have successfully passed on his skills to the younger gens at Nintendo.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
This forum really thrives on being negative all the time doesn't it?
We care about videogames and yes sometimes we fly off the handle.
Just like some people on a gardening forum I imagine sometimes do 😄

On my team I train all new employees in the best work practices I've learned over the last 18 years.

Doesn't matter if you're Gen Z or whatever.

It's all about what you pay forward.
Kindness & knowledge. Patience.

We're gonna be ok.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
There is suppose to be a Brain Drain going on as Baby Boomers leave the workforce.
Boomers think there's going to be a brain drain when they leave. But the world(and their companies) will keep on rolling just fine. I think well ran studios(the ones that have consistent success) do a good job of making sure institutional knowledge is passed on to other employees and promote their people so they have young leaders in place.

Another trend you're seeing is situation where the 1 studio head/manager that was running the whole thing is retiring and being replaced by 2 or 3 people all focusing on a specific aspect of running the studio(Tech, Creative, Business).

I honestly think we'll be fine in general, not just with video games. This isn't the first time we've had a generation leaving the workforce. Also, the world, tools, and technology used in software development are changing so fast that everyone is always learning new things anyways.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Maybe some will now have more time to play, maybe some will discover gaming maybe it won't change anything...Are there numbers about age of gamers(excluding mobile preferably)?

Humdinger

It's my understanding that most people leave the game industry by about 35 or 40, because of the stress, instability, and better conditions elsewhere. So most people in that age group would have left the industry a long time ago.

LRKD

I think it will have little to no effect on gaming, we effectively had a brain drain during the 7th and 8th gen. Game dev studios ballooned so huge that the more experienced Baby Boomer workers skill was drowned out by the countless fresh out of college employees. As well as the large growth in more bureaucratic positions hindering the boomers from working as effectively. So, I really don't think things will change much do to anyone retiring.

baphomet

The workplaces average intelligence will increase as baby boomers leave the workplace.

It also has less than nothing to do with the video game industry. The old fucks in charge will remain in charge until they're dead while attempting to squeeze as much money from their customers into that golden parachute.

Last edited:
The youngest Baby Boomers turn 60 this year!

There is suppose to be a Brain Drain going on as Baby Boomers leave the workforce.

What does this exit of a generation mean for videogames?
I don’t understand your post. What does this have to do with videogames? Do you have strong feelings about how this somehow affects videogames?

Toons

The boomer had their day. Of they were concerned about the attack of things after they were gone they'd have been teaching bu example.

Time for new blood.

Robb

Gold Member
I’d hope that it’d mean more fresh ideas and new perspectives.

The bigger problem is the publishers being very risk averse since everything is so much more expensive these days.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I don't even know what all of these things are. I couldn't properly define Boomer, Gen X, or a Millennial. I haven't the foggiest what a Zoomer even means. Is that a baby? Because they zoom around all over the place?

Who gives a shit. We're still stuck with idiot children who want to blow their parents' money on retarded-ass Fortnite crap. The industry stopped catering to me, personally, a while ago. I find games to enjoy here and there, but the industry doesn't care about me, nor I it.

Griffon

Doesn't affect us at all.

Video games are very much a gen X led industry.
Once those start leaving, then yes you'd have to be very scared. Millenials and zoomers don't have what it takes to take over.

Last edited:

Toons

Doesn't affect us at all.

Video games are very much a gen X led industry.
Once those start leaving, then yes you'd have to be very scared. Millenials and zoomers don't have what it takes to take over.

Zoomers are better at using technology... and understanding it than any millenial I've ever met. I know 13 year olds that can run circles around 50 year olds when it comes to technology.

They're leaning coding, hacking and troubleshooting, and are already experimenting with ai.

They're gonna be better at this than any generation before them; if they have their priorities straight.

Last edited:

ungalo

Artistically i'm convinced the most interesting games are already out. I'm a millenial but i don't feel close to them when it comes to what they're obsessed about, or fascinated by.

If we're talking about programming, technical stuff, i don't see why we would have a major problem, especially compared to what we're already experiencing since the PS4 gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom