• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As of right now, the Wolverine leaks show combat that is very reminiscent of GOW 2018, and I'm not a fan of the camera perspective at all.

Should Wolverine PS5 have a close-up camera like GOW 2018 or a camera like Devil May Cry?

• Close-Up Camera (GOW 2018, The Last of Us)

Votes: 48 40.0%
  • Pulled-Back Camera (Devil Mary Cry, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance)

Votes: 72 60.0%

• Total voters

Flutta

Banned
As of right now the leaks mean absolutely nothing as the game is still pre-alpha.
This is far from the truth. The leak shows us how the game will play like, what type of camera angel they are aiming for etc.

How many games have you seen in pre-alpha that didn’t look or play similar to the final product?

You think they will rework everything we’ve seen lol? that is basically asking the team to go back to the drawing board, guess how many years that will take.

Making games is not like shooting a movie where you can just re-shoot some scenes here and there.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DMC camera is ass, leave it in 2005

What is so different about these camera angles? Wolverine is using a mix of full length, mid length and extreme close up angles just like MGR
JV4wDkp.jpg

8j8xqjs.jpg

G2EmC4L.jpg

wHEVddn.jpg

uyTGFSh.jpg
ssUgCLq.jpg
6DYzDQm.jpg

x2yyNXn.jpg

Dunno feels like you guys are just making things up not to like these days
Then they are giving prizes to a field of star game for digital photography as if humongous games like Ghosts of Tsushima, BotW, Spider-man 2, RDR2 had all manually handcrafted landscapes 😂.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Insomniac has bigger problems than just the camera perspective.
Oh yeah, is it yet another “concern” around the DEI slides? I am not saying it is your point although I am afraid it might be… I look forward to Insomniac Games threads being littered with the same quality of “concern” as Naughty Dog ones with people fuming trying to transform that their hope they will fail will make them fail and constantly going anti-woke (it being just the weapon they were looking for)…

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You couldn't say this in the other threads about it? Gotta push your narrative over chiming in an existing thread and declare it to everyone whether they like it or not huh?

Camera perspective doesn't mean shit (and certainly not about enemy variety, wtf is wrong with you), what if it plays like (it won't, just showing you're being dumbo) so?

Inicdentally that's a vidya game by people involved with DM(ary)C and MGR too so there you go 🤡:messenger_clapping:

Heck, DM(ary)C has drastically different cameras yet retained similar gameplay in different entries in the same series (or even different parts of the same damn games).​

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Both titles (Wolv and GoW) seem to be really lacking in enemy variety. Which in a beat em up is pretty hard to overcome.
You dont know if Wolverine will have a lack in enemy variety its a assumption without any kind of proof. When the game comes out then whe know you are right.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Oh yeah, is it yet another “concern” around the DEI slides? I am not saying it is your point although I am afraid it might be… I look forward to Insomniac Games threads being littered with the same quality of “concern” as Naughty Dog ones with people fuming trying to transform that their hope they will fail will make them fail and constantly going anti-woke (it being just the weapon they were looking for)…
Well Insomniac for me has gone from a studio whose games I really like to a studio whose games I won't buy anymore. As I am not their target group. They probably don't really care. And Spiderman 2 was already far too political for me. And I don't need that in my games.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Don’t care much for the camera but can you jump in the Wolverine leaked build?

Being stuck on the ground + that claustrophobic camera angle really made me feel like I was playing a guy in a wheelchair in 2018 (never played Ragnarok so can’t judge it).

It was especially jarring coming from P* action games.

midnightAI

Don’t care much for the camera but can you jump in the Wolverine leaked build?

Being stuck on the ground + that claustrophobic camera angle really made me feel like I was playing a guy in a wheelchair in 2018 (never played Ragnarok so can’t judge it).

It was especially jarring coming from P* action games.
Yes? why wouldn't you be able to jump? its a key part of the Wolverine character. This isn't God of War, its not the same devs, that was a choice made for God of War (and I understand why, its not needed).

Last edited:

ungalo

Im waiting for the Hellblade 2 comments

Bored No One GIF

They won’t complain.
Hellblade is really not an action game, there is no fleshed out combat system, no challenge, they don't put you against more than one enemy at once if i recall except at the very end but even then you don't have to manage your surroundings like in God of War.

As for Wolverine it does have the GoW camera but it does not seem to have the same style of gameplay. I strongly dislike GoW 2018 style of gameplay but at least they made some coherent choices to make it work. Here i feel like it's the Insomniac gameplay but with a close camera, it kind of reveals the button mashing part of those games and at the same time it seems pretty chaotic/epileptic.

Last edited:
Third person games that cut characters off at the knees (Gears, God of War) fucking suck

If you’re going to do third person show the whole body.

Edit : is Hellblade like that as well? Well fuck that as well. Even though I don’t think Hellblade is going to be nothing more than a technical experience. It doesn’t look like a “game” at all

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Stop worrying and just don`t buy what you don`t like.
I completely skipped SM2 and I´ll probably ignore Wolverine, too, and I´m rather sure that won`t kill me.....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
it's pretty obvious at this point that no one, except for the people who like the camera in the new god of war, likes the camera in the new god of war...

Kinda ridiculous, no? GOW 2018 sold 21 million and GOW:R sold 15 million in one year. Maybe it's you reading too much into what people say on GAF and Twitter that's leading you astray.

Skifi28

I'd wait until there's an official trailer with gameplay. There's a reason they haven't released any footage yet, we're in the stage where things can change drastically.

Last edited:

iHaunter

This is far from the truth. The leak shows us how the game will play like, what type of camera angel they are aiming for etc.

How many games have you seen in pre-alpha that didn’t look or play similar to the final product?

You think they will rework everything we’ve seen lol? that is basically asking the team to go back to the drawing board, guess how many years that will take.

Making games is not like shooting a movie where you can just re-shoot some scenes here and there.
Do you have any idea how much that will change? Even GoW flipped on its head after QA testers gave their input.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm currently playing through new GOW, and while I wouldn't mind a slightly higher FOV I do enjoy the camera and don't mind the warnings the NPCs give you.

As much as I enjoyed the original GOW camera, I don't think it would have worked for the way combat is in new GOW. Originally it was designed for mid-range sweeping attacks, but gameplay designed around an axe needs it to be closer. Not necessarily as close as it is, but definitely closer.

Whether or not that requirement translates to Wolverine depends on how agile and fluid they want the gameplay to be, but as it's Insomniac who like cinematic games I imagine they will stick with the closer style.
Yeah, it needs to be closer but not that close.

Ive also been playing GOW a lot thanks to valhalla, and the camera does pull back during some of the runic attacks. The Nord Tempest one and the cyclone of chaos both end up with kratos right in the middle of the screen as the camera not only pulls back but also tilts down so you get sort of a top down view, and it looks perfect.

No idea why they didnt bother adding some kind of FOV on the PS5 at least.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well Insomniac for me has gone from a studio whose games I really like to a studio whose games I won't buy anymore. As I am not their target group. They probably don't really care. And Spiderman 2 was already far too political for me. And I don't need that in my games.
Oh please… 🙄

Bernardougf

Gold Member
This feels like a “found something to keep bringing up like people used to shit TLoU threads with”.

What you “heard” (not played) about a game and focus studies that EVERY SINGLE medium to large dev is running (including Nintendo) because tons and tons of industry consultant are telling companies that Good standing DEI programs make them more efficient and richer (which is the snake oil they sell) on top of how it was spreading already.

Also, exaggerated as hiring consultants and travelling to learn more about what you are going to be depicting is not a weird practice and if you need a DEI course to make you see that well we had other problems 😂.

———

I thought this post of yours was off topic, but I guess it was a difference of perspective (so it fits talking about the camera).

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis
TLOU2 is as shitty as all the leaks suggested... is the worst sequel I've ever played and absolutely destroyed my love for the franchise...all the leaks and critics were spott on and was the last time I ignored something to see for my own ... there's just too many things to do and so much money to use ...to simply ignore all the signs that point out Im not going to like something and "play for my self".

And are you really comparing japan/Nintendo to the shit they pull out in hollywood/california this days ?

If you dont care about woke shit done by some inclusive comity you dont care.. I do ... but lets not pretend this things dont exist or are "normal" just because every california company does it.

Last edited:
I loved 2018 so whatever happens I don't see this an issue.

It's the combat mechanics that will make or break this game - and it's far too early to know how the retail version will play. While GoW 2018 didn't have many weapons, the axe was very satisfying and versatile so we'll see how Insomniac handles this area.

Ratchet & Clank literally released less than 2 years ago. Also from Insomniac. Was that too political as well?

Some of you really can't get past one LGBTQ flag, 2 NPC gay men kissing on a side mission and one piece of paper talking about plannet parenthood huh.

Did you ever play any FPS? They are usually much more political than any Insomniac game to date 🫢

Monkfish877

God of war 2018 combat is top notch. You can feel every hit, I prefer it to the souls games, Nioh and DMC. It's not about how many moves you can do or how big of a combo you can pull off, personally. It's about how satisfying the combat feels, the weight to it and the up close and personal brawling, it's an amazing game.

Last edited:
Lol, the game wasn't even close to being finished yet.....
Neither was HL2, yet the main core mechanics stayed. Its not liek they will all of a sudden change shift in camera angles. They might give him a new shirt etc but it wont change the core view/gameplay. Its not like the game is releasing in 5 years.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Ratchet & Clank literally released less than 2 years ago. Also from Insomniac. Was that too political as well?

Some of you really can't get past one LGBTQ flag, 2 NPC gay men kissing on a side mission and one piece of paper talking about plannet parenthood huh.

Did you ever play any FPS? They are usually much more political than any Insomniac game to date 🫢
I didn't notice anything in Ratchet. Miles Morales was a bit political, but it didn't bother me there either. It wasn't until Spider-Man 2 that it just became too much. I was more bothered by the fact that Insomniac don't develop games for white people. And I simply cannot and will not support this racism. I don't care about the whole LGBTQ thing.

I didn't notice anything in Ratchet. Miles Morales was a bit political, but it didn't bother me there either. It wasn't until Spider-Man 2 that it just became too much. I was more bothered by the fact that Insomniac don't develop games for white people. And I simply cannot and will not support this racism. I don't care about the whole LGBTQ thing.
I...what?
The main character is Peter Parker...Miles had the b-plotline. Everything around the game is about Peter and his life.

Before i go on...since it's hard to tell, is your post satire?

midnightAI

Explain more....
Go On Popcorn GIF

Last edited:

angrod14

Maybe they're just experimenting with what's working and what isn't It's not really fair for the devs to judge unreleased work, much less if it's just footage people were never meant to see.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Who cares? You really still want to play a game where the company is going to shove a woke agenda down your throat?

Gonna love to hear how awesome it is that this X men is trans, gay, and that Wolverine is going to have a big pride flag on the side of his pink motorcycle while being offended that Magneto is a white devil.

The least concerning thing for this game is the camera.

Puscifer

Nah, DMC style camera works because of the way combat is handled, personally I dont want Wolverine to feel like Dante or Raiden moving at blinding speeds and juggling enemies its just stupid.
He’s heavy, strong,brutal, the camera being up close will hopefully convey these things if the animations and combat work towards this. Its way to early to tell if they will pull this off but Insomniac have a good track record so we’ll see.
Ravens wolverine game definitely was heavy in its own way. I'm more concerned about the actual violence levels than anything else

gow3isben

Spider-Man combat is too cartoony would prefer up close and visceral for Wolverine

Last edited:

Stooky

Who cares? You really still want to play a game where the company is going to shove a woke agenda down your throat?

Gonna love to hear how awesome it is that this X men is trans, gay, and that Wolverine is going to have a big pride flag on the side of his pink motorcycle while being offended that Magneto is a white devil.

The least concerning thing for this game is the camera.
wolverine, gay? pink motorcycle? why are you complaining about something that isn’t happening?

Saber

Gold Member
Like many stated, you should be more worried about the dialogues and story.

Gameplay they can tune since its still pretty early. Story? Lol, theres a very high chance to be pandering, heavy political, social garbage, etc.

And remember that we are talking about Wolverine. The guy is an animal , typical masculine trope guy who beat first ask later and is usually rude with everyone. This will not bode well for him. I'm already depressed of whats gonna happened to X-men.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Do you have any idea how much that will change? Even GoW flipped on its head after QA testers gave their input.
Yes i kinda have an idea, nothing significant will change. What you saw is basically 90% of how the game will look and play like.

Want to avatar bet? 😜

Top Bottom