• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa Has Sold Over 28 Million Copies Worldwide as of Dec 31st 2022, becoming the best selling racing sim. Sequel planned for spring 2024.

Patrick S.

Banned
I am not talking about a sim racer's perspective, I can only talk from my perspective. Thing is, my perspective is a lot more common than sim racer one. Hardcore sim racers are a small percentage of the audience who buy car games.

Casual racers are also driven by getting better, sim racers are just more so. Sim racers are like speed runners, trying to get the inches, but that is not for everybody.

If a car game had a good campaign, sim racers would play it too. It's just the campaigns are so bad that it's not worth it.
I would play a new Test Drive Unlimited game. But look at all the cringy campaigns there were in the last few Need For Speed games. Even Forza Horizon is cringe. All you’re gonna get is woke, edgy shite. Nah man, just gimme a fast car and a nice road or track. I’d kill for a new Drive Club game. Seriously, with a liiiiiittle refining of the handling model? The perfect racing game.

Last edited:

Prekk

Neo Member
Oh. I have a Quest 2, Logitech G923 and a PC more powerful than my XSX and PS5.

What is the most recent entry in this series and is it vr compatible?
You want the original Assetto Corsa.
Competizione is great but it's focused on GT3 racing, the vr performance is horrible and it's not moddable.

You _need_:
- Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition (it's 90% off on steam right now - it's an absolute steal)
- Content Manager (a custom launcher)
- Custom Shader Patch (free versions can be downloaded in Content Manager)
- Sol or Pure for enhanced weather effects and post-processing filters

Content Manager and Custom Shader Patch have pwyw versions with additional features like eg. RainFX.
Sol is free and Pure is supposed to be its successor and is a patreon thing i believe (there are other pp filters as well).

Then there are thousands of car and track mods as well as things like career modes and such.

Many free cars and tracks can be downloaded directly through content manager.
An absolute highlight is the Shutoko Revival Project.

While the millions of settings in Content Manager/Custom Shader Patch and the ghetto world of Assetto Corsa mods can be intimidating at first it's absolutely worth it. Especially in VR.

Most of these PC sims feel like they are made by people who have no understanding of what makes a game.

But we are talking about a Simulator here. Even outside of racing there are many sims with practically no story mode because they expect the interested player just wants to get started and build up their stats and earn more vehicle options. Like what kind of story could you add to the ol' Nascar simulators for example.

That seems more of something to add to a simcade as they call it, because that type of software would be attractive to a wider demographic than a hardcore sim.

The fact we have racing sims that even give multiple camera modes instead of the just having cockpit view is already generous from the hardcore sim companies imo.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Like what kind of story could you add to the ol' Nascar simulators for example.
Will Ferrell Boast GIF

Thief1987

The racing simulator series Assetto Corsa has now sold over 28 million copies worldwide. The franchise developed by Kunos Simulazioni has now generated revenues exceeding €104 million.

Less than 4€ per copy on average. They are basically giving it away for free.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Every sim racing fan bought this at full price.
That's the point, i guess the game was fullprice on release, so if they sold, let's say, million copies at full price it's basically will be more than half of its total revenue. That put the rest 27 million copies in 1-2 $ per copy territory.

Last edited:

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
You want the original Assetto Corsa.
Competizione is great but it's focused on GT3 racing, the vr performance is horrible and it's not moddable.

You _need_:
- Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition (it's 90% off on steam right now - it's an absolute steal)
- Content Manager (a custom launcher)
- Custom Shader Patch (free versions can be downloaded in Content Manager)
- Sol or Pure for enhanced weather effects and post-processing filters

Content Manager and Custom Shader Patch have pwyw versions with additional features like eg. RainFX.
Sol is free and Pure is supposed to be its successor and is a patreon thing i believe (there are other pp filters as well).

Then there are thousands of car and track mods as well as things like career modes and such.

Many free cars and tracks can be downloaded directly through content manager.
An absolute highlight is the Shutoko Revival Project.

While the millions of settings in Content Manager/Custom Shader Patch and the ghetto world of Assetto Corsa mods can be intimidating at first it's absolutely worth it. Especially in VR.
I appreciate this. I bought it today based on this.

That's the point, i guess the game was fullprice on release, so if they sold, let's say, million copies at full price it's basically will be more than half of its total revenue. That put the rest 27 million copies in 1-2 $ per copy territory.

I don't know why you're pretending people have been buying the game for $1-$2 after the first year.

I also want to point out again, the many games racing or other wise, with actual fire sales, and have nowhere near this performance.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Was this even released in the US? Never heard or seen it before....and I peruse all gaming websites, storefronts....Steam Deck....never seen it once

Was this even released in the US?

Yes?

Im sure no one bought GT on sale either!

Yeah the discount excuse is off, there are games in various genres that has more frequent sales, fire sales, and giveaways and still aren't anywhere near these numbers. People can't possibly believe that it reached this high without an engaging community and only on discounts as if it was $1 every day since launch, when we have no other examples outside 100% free giveaways that have numbers this high for discounted games elsewhere.

blue velvet

More than any GT. Deserved.
I mean yeah? but not really. On paper it looks impressive, but if you actually look at the actual numbers. The player retention is non existent and the revenue is quite low. It's like people bought it just because it's there not because they want to play it. I mean GT Sport have more daily active users the last 7 days than entire life cycle of AC on steam.

ili4pC0.png
vAg5H48.png

Last edited:

Lasha

You claimed GT didn't have cockpit view until GT5 which isn't true. GT5P came out in 2007 3 years before the main game.

That isn't the gotcha you imagine it to be. I would have answered GT5 because GT5 prologue was basically EA for GT5. Its also technically the fifth game in the series. You're the first person I have seen to consider them as separate games rather than versions of GT5.

Kvally

Banned
I mean yeah? but not really. On paper it looks impressive, but if you actually look at the actual numbers. The player retention is non existent and the revenue is quite low. It's like people bought it just because it's there not because they want to play it. I mean GT Sport have more daily active users the last 7 days than entire life cycle of AC on steam.

ili4pC0.png
vAg5H48.png

[/URL]
Those are Steam only numbers though. You need to add Xbox and PS numbers. And if ACC is on another delivery platform.

hlm666

its a great game and i just noticed all the DLC is 75%-80% off! I just got THE LOT for $11.99.

TIME TO REINSTALL LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOO
Well if the bloody Stig approves anyone who disagrees is an electric scooter riding crack addict.

Your comparing ccu (current concurrent users) to a 7 day total player count. 14.8k users playing at the same time doesn't mean only 14.8k unique people played that day and it doesn't mean 350k gt sport players were all playing concurrently. Pointless comparison. By your metrics more people play gt sport than gta 5.

Top Bottom