• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asus’ next ROG Ally handheld will be the ROG Ally X

Klosshufvud

Not sure how reliable this site is but I found this

80Wh battery, 24 GB LPDDR5 RAM, USB4.0, revised dpad. Sounds like they basically turned the Ally into an AokZoe A1 Pro. If this is all true, then Ally X will be a true contender for best PC handheld. I am sceptical of the battery size claim though, doesn't really add up to the very modest weight gain. 80Wh battery would be godly.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Not sure how reliable this site is but I found this

80Wh battery, 24 GB LPDDR5 RAM, USB4.0, revised dpad. Sounds like they basically turned the Ally into an AokZoe A1 Pro. If this is all true, then Ally X will be a true contender for best PC handheld. I am sceptical of the battery size claim though, doesn't really add up to the very modest weight gain. 80Wh battery would be godly.

Pretty reliable

Last edited:

Tomi

This will sell like hotcakes
Asus wins in every gear segment regardless some bad reputation in last couple of months

Hohenheim

Hmmmm, no mention of fixing the cheap feeling loosy goosy joysticks?
This was confirmed in a preview by someone who had held it. The joysticks are tigheter and with better grip. I think they could easily be replaced too? Like on many of the pro controllers out there.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

I noticed the writer said the $799 U.S price tage feels justified, I'd like to know if they are just saying that generally thinking people would be ok with it, or would actually buy one themselves at $1000 + Canadian dollars. Seems like a tough sell to me even with the improvements. I mean bestbuy sold a bunch of these at the start and tons were returned, it wasn't until they dropped to $649-699 Canadian did they move more stock out.

Last edited:

Zathalus

That battery size is quite remarkable. 15w SOC should allow for 4+ hours on even the most demanding AAA games, and 2+ hours at 25w.

Hohenheim

Really looking forward to this.
I liked the first version quite a bit, and this improves bascially everything that needed to be improved.
Wish they got rid of he bezels, but that's not a big deal.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Yes the vrr makes a huge difference on the ally. I noticed this immediately coming from steam deck.

I'm pretty tempted to jump in, but I love that OLED. Still, VRR is great, and if it wasn't for the fact most of the games I'm played / that are queued up and even those that jump in like Selaco - they seem way more ideal on the Deck. Of course a real desktop is better for FPS, but damn trackpads are so much better than sticks. Like a magnitude better. And the game runs locked 60 almost perfectly (some say you can almost hit 90). So I don't think VRR will be of too much use on games that run at a solid 60.

But I am curious about the options it opens up, and think there's a good chance I'll grab one and end up loving it, despite it's flaws vs the Deck.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
New ROG Ally sounds very good and makes it tempting to get rid of my OG model and get down and dirty with the new model. Even though I shouldn't. Man, I've should've waited for this instead. Looks better in every way. I will never buy the first gen versions ever again.

Topher

Gold Member
Hmmmm, no mention of fixing the cheap feeling loosy goosy joysticks?

Official website says the sticks are "improved" but don't mention fixing the looseness specifically.

bWtqQdd.png

THE DUCK

Official website says the sticks are "improved" but don't mention fixing the looseness specifically.

bWtqQdd.png

Saw a couple of videos on YouTube today that specifically said the feel better and are more firm/increased tension. So that's good.

Had they slapped in an 8" oled it could justify the premium price tag better.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It’s $150 more than the equivalent specced Deck OLED.

There’s no honesty in comparing its price using the lowest specced Deck.
Deck OLED is $550. This is $1100. So 2x the price for maybe 20% performance difference.

Edit: It’s about $250 more (plus requisite tax), looked on CA site. Below still stands. I strongly recommend against buying ASUS.

You do get absolutely terrible customer support that tries to scam you in case of any repairs needed. That’s a bonus only ASUS can provide though!

Last edited:

Zathalus

Deck OLED is $550. This is $1100. So 2x the price for maybe 20% performance difference.

You do get absolutely terrible customer support that tries to scam you in case of any repairs needed. That’s a bonus only ASUS can provide though!
That's Canada, Deck OLED 1 TB there is $860.

THE DUCK

Pretty lame that they increased the charging wattage to 100 watts but include a 50 watt charger in the box.

StereoVsn

That's Canada, Deck OLED 1 TB there is $860.
Damn, that currency conversion really bites! :(.

Either way, unless you are in EU and got that sweet 2 year return to retailer warranty, I wouldn’t touch this with a 10’ pole (3 meters for my metric friends 😉).

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Comparing the US price of the 512gb version of the Deck OLED to the Canadian price of the 1TB version of the Ally X.

Really?

StereoVsn

Comparing the US price of the 512gb version of the Deck OLED to the Canadian price of the 1TB version of the Ally X.

Really?
Didn’t realize it was Canadian BestBuy till corrected. I still wouldn’t buy any ASUS device after GN showed how abhorrent their support is and they actively scam their customers.

Minsc

Gold Member
Damn, that currency conversion really bites! :(.

Either way, unless you are in EU and got that sweet 2 year return to retailer warranty, I wouldn’t touch this with a 10’ pole (3 meters for my metric friends 😉).

Supposedly they improved their US warranty to a better, 2-year warranty now, per their facebook/website.

Anyway, with the extra RAM, double disk space, ability to use the SD card now without fear, and general all-around improvements, I'm looking forward to next weekend if that's the date you can grab them from BestBuy.

Pretty lame that they increased the charging wattage to 100 watts but include a 50 watt charger in the box.

I think that does bump the cost quite a bit (the better ones you can buy off amazon are generally ~$70+), but I mainly charge with power banks anyway, and the extra speed will be nice there. I do have a 140W travel brick though, when it's not convenient to bring larger banks.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Supposedly they improved their US warranty to a better, 2-year warranty now, per their facebook/website.

Anyway, with the extra RAM, double disk space, ability to use the SD card now without fear, and general all-around improvements, I'm looking forward to next weekend if that's the date you can grab them from BestBuy.

I think that does bump the cost quite a bit (the better ones you can buy off amazon are generally ~$70+), but I mainly charge with power banks anyway, and the extra speed will be nice there. I do have a 140W travel brick though, when it's not convenient to bring larger banks.

It's a $5-10 retail difference, in bulk probably $5.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's a $5-10 retail difference, in bulk probably $5.

Ah, I see, if so at the price they're charging they should have then. My main fear with power bricks is they are generally dumb. Most all dead device from charging issues with various hardware stem from using incompatible power bricks. A lot of time power bricks are going to be made for a specific device and if you try to use that brick for a different device, it may not be capable of switching to a voltage/amp combination that is safe for that device and you can screw them up big time. I think when Switch launched this was a semi-occurring issue for anyone using other bricks to charge the Switch.

So generally I avoid using pack in bricks entirely if possible (there's simply too many to keep track of from too many devices), and when not, I prefer to use a brick from Anker or another reputable company that had a logic chip in it and is capable of outputting many different voltage/amp combinations.

Still, I hear what you're saying about having one included, but it is unfortunately a not-too-uncommon thing when devices start support 100W+ charging speeds.

Bought Z1X at Christmas and I've had zero issues.

I'll wait for ROG2 proper, but this is good news for anyone on the fence.

Now we just gotta wait for that cheeky bastard Chiggs and his bandwagon to go and shit on this.

hinch7

Edit: It’s about $250 more (plus requisite tax), looked on CA site. Below still stands. I strongly recommend against buying ASUS.

After Gamer Nexus's experience with them, I wouldn't touch any more of their stuff. This is basically a refresh that fixes the faulty design of their first handheld, with a few tweaks and small upgrades.

From my personal experience, Valve have great customer service. I had to RMA my first SD due to a sticky trigger and they were good to deal with and quick to respond. The turnaround was pretty fast and took a couple weeks which wasn't bad; all considering I had to ship it to the Netherlands, at their cost.

night13x

Looks nice with some great improvements - won't be touching due to how poorly ASUS treats customers and their piss poor way of handling warrenties.

THE DUCK

Really?

Your right, it's not fair since every single game you play will look better on the oled, even after you slap a 2tb ssd in there! 😁

Ozriel

M$FT
Your right, it's not fair since every single game you play will look better on the oled, even after you slap a 2tb ssd in there! 😁

You think? one will run games at higher settings, at a higher resolution, has VRR and maxes out at 120fps.

The Ally is LCD, yes, but has a much better LCD display than the mediocre one Valve went with for the first Deck.

There are tradeoffs to both systems.

Ristifer

ASUS could have the best customer service in history, sending hot women to blow me every time I had an issue with the Ally, and I still wouldn’t spend $1100 on the handheld. A ridiculous price.

Ozriel

M$FT
Actually, play too since the faster response time of oled reduces latency.

Wut. The Ally can put out better framerates at the same visual settings and has VRR support.
There’s no contest.

But it feels really distasteful to see warring over handhelds. Why is this even a thing?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

You think? one will run games at higher settings, at a higher resolution, has VRR and maxes out at 120fps.

The Ally is LCD, yes, but has a much better LCD display than the mediocre one Valve went with for the first Deck.

There are tradeoffs to both systems.

That resolution at 7" is of very little use. Most games won't run at 120hz, so that's not very useful either. The vrr could be useful in some cases, but you can typically lock the frame rate where you need it on the deck.

Yes the lcd is decent, but it still loses the contrast battle by a fair margin. And the 7" screen on the asus is a fair bit smaller than the deck oled.

It feels like the tradeoffs are too great for no reason. Would have increased even more battery life with an oled too.

THE DUCK

Wut. The Ally can put out better framerates at the same visual settings and has VRR support.
There’s no contest.

But it feels really distasteful to see warring over handhelds. Why is this even a thing?

Who's waring, it's called an opinion about the machine that isn't even out yet.
Marginally better frame rates. If we care about visual quality in terms of frames, why would we not also care about screen size and contrast? No contest is a pretty biased statement, at least I could say vrr has some appeal but you can't even understand the benefits of oled.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
^^ I think the Ally X will be a bit more than marginal, I'd use that to refer to the difference between the Deck revisions, Ally could be as much as 50% faster FPS I believe. Certainly the difference between 25-45 in BG3 on the Deck or Diablo 4 running sub 60, to BG3 on the Ally maintaining 45+ all the time or D4 running at higher settings at VRR 60-120fps.

OLED + HDR are huge wins for a device though, HDR on LCDs just is meh.

-

I'm all for super sizing our handhelds. Switch 2 I hope is an inch or more than the original, Deck 2, the same, and Ally as well. I know people love their pocketable handhelds, but I'm sure I could even buy the Go and think it's not enough.

Basically, I've never once owned a TV or Monitor or screen on a phone and felt it was too large. And I very much doubt that will be true of any of the popular handhelds, Ally X included.

Ozriel

M$FT
but you can't even understand the benefits of oled.

I bought a 512gb Steamdeck OLED at launch. I also own a 2024 27inch Alienware QD-OLED 1440p monitor. All the TVs in my home are LG OLEDs.

I think i understand the benefits of OLED quite well.

THE DUCK

I bought a 512gb Steamdeck OLED at launch. I also own a 2024 27inch Alienware QD-OLED 1440p monitor. All the TVs in my home are LG OLEDs.

I think i understand the benefits of OLED quite well.

Then you know it's not "no contest" for any lcd screen to be superior than an oled based machine.

Ozriel

M$FT
Then you know it's not "no contest" for any lcd screen to be superior than an oled based machine.

I said it’s no contest that the Ally should post superior gaming performance - especially framerates - to the Deck.
Or that there are actual, well documents benefits of a VRR display when it comes to performance.

Calverz

Gold Member
That resolution at 7" is of very little use. Most games won't run at 120hz, so that's not very useful either. The vrr could be useful in some cases, but you can typically lock the frame rate where you need it on the deck.

Yes the lcd is decent, but it still loses the contrast battle by a fair margin. And the 7" screen on the asus is a fair bit smaller than the deck oled.

It feels like the tradeoffs are too great for no reason. Would have increased even more battery life with an oled too.
I had the original deck and traded it for the ally. The screen was a massive upgrade. I have OLED tv's and appreciate the tech, but the 1080p VRR screen is a massive difference. Even for 7". Yes a lot of modern games wont run at 120fps but with the boost in power, and the VRR, even games that hit 70-90fps feel incredibly smooth.

Top Bottom