• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asus won't say if the ROG Ally's SD card reader will ever truly be fixed.

RavageX

Ya'll are funny arguing about this.

For me, the SD card isn't an issue. However I would not buy this thing at anywhere near retail. I am looking at the $300 or less price for the extreme version. I might buy at that point and slap an SSD in it. I'm willing to accept that fault at that price point for what I intend to use it for. I think I'd rather a Legion though for the larger screen, but the price isn't cooperating with my disposable income.

Now, full price with a fault? No not I. Not for any of these. Its all technically in the early stages.

kiphalfton

I think your post perfectly encapsulates the sad state of modern consumerism. So acquiescent it's painful to read. Just being real, man.

The problem with the average person is if it doesn't affect them personally, they don't give a fuck if it affects other people.

I believe some people refer to it as "being an asshole".

//DEVIL//

For me, the SD card isn't an issue. However I would not buy this thing at anywhere near retail. I am looking at the $300 or less price for the extreme version. I might buy at that point and slap an SSD in it. I'm willing to accept that fault at that price point for what I intend to use it for. I think I'd rather a Legion though for the larger screen, but the price isn't cooperating with my disposable income.

Now, full price with a fault? No not I. Not for any of these. Its all technically in the early stages.
lol. If you knew how much I got mine …

Are you ready ? Here …..

Asus ROG extreme z1 plus spigen glass protector x2 + case with cover + carrying case for ….

One used x670e-a ASUS motherboard I had and I don’t use ( because I switched to mini itx build ) and a spare ddr5 ram I had lol

I would say the best trading I ever did lol

Oh and the SD card works np

What a rebuttal lol. As everyone said, take the L and stop embarrassing yourself here. When I want to sell my car that has a steering problem, you will be the first guy Im gonna contact because besides that, it works perfectly :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm not embarrassed at all.

I feel bad for you, honestly.

You're really trying to compare selling a car with a steering problem to ASUS selling a device with a faulty secondary storage. That's not apples to apples.

Aside from one being a safety hazard, you're unlikely to be able to drive a car with said a mechanical issue.

Let me give you a better car analogy: it's more akin to buying a car advertised with a sunroof, but it's permanently sealed shut. Sure, you can still drive it, but the missing advertised feature is a valid complaint.

Whereas the ROG isn't reliant on the SD card for its primary function; it has an HDD, potentially an SSD, cloud storage, etc.. a gamer has plenty of options.

The lot of you have attempted to argue a fault with the SD card feature, likening it to a primary function failure in another device, but it doesn't quite fit.

From cars to penises, yall have explored every comparison.

But bottom line, the ROG is functional without the SD card, though it's unfortunate for those who depend on it. Personally, I didn't purchase mine with the intention of using one.

Tams

it has an HDD
Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

taylor34

Neo Member
I have the Asus Rog Ally non-extreme and it's great. Never used the SD card, but before I bought it I heard all these horror stories like the device was useless because of this. What wasn't really completely clear from all this is that the internal SSD 512 gigs is fine and has no problems, it's just the SD reader if you want more than 512 gb's of games. That's a lot of games on a handheld like this honestly unless you're trying to use it like a main pc (which it sounds like some people are). If you you're trying to do that, the SD card gripe is understandable. I don't really think it's an issue for normal portable gaming though, I don't think this is something I'd want to play a AAA graphics intensive game on, I think it's great for turn based stuff and other things that don't require intense GPU. It can play those intense games if you want though, I played Helldivers 2 on it last week and it was fine.

Is it a problem? Yes. Is it that big of a deal for most people? Probably not, you'd need more than 512 gb's of active games. Plus if you're using it in desktop mode you could always use some USB-C thing instead. There are work arounds if you really need the storage.

If you are thinking about the Legion Go, try it out in a store first. It is a great handheld, but it is absolutely massive and heavy. It is not easy to handhold for long gaming sessions, unlike the Ally or the Deck.

xrnzaaas

I'm surprised they didn't get in trouble here in Europe. They've admitted to selling a faulty product which can't be repaired. Plus it's not like it's some minor feature, being able to use SD cards without having to worry about destroying them (and their data) is pretty important.

Hohenheim

A product like this should obviously work in every aspect, but I couldn't care less about that card reader.
Sold my Ally when the Legion Go was released, because it seemed like a improvement, but ended up selling the Go and buying another Ally.
The Ally works a lot better, feels quicker and less buggy. Also feels better in the hands for me.

The SD is definitly my favourite handheld, but the Ally is great and i'm very excited for the next version!

At this point, all of you are just reaching.

Acting as if the only thing the ROG does is play games from SD cards.

This isn't a RROD level issue that bricks the system...

Cell phones stopped including SD cards slots a couple iterations back. Why? It's a secondary method of storage at best, which most people don't even use, and hardly the show-stopper it's being presented as.

Again, someone who doesn't use SD cards won't even perceive the device as broken.

Let's be clear I'm not saying there's not an actual SD card hardware issue with the device, and that ASUS shouldn't fix it. They should.

But who in their right mind would be driven to buy one based solely on its SD card functionality?

Okay but I usually don't have 50 gigabyte videogames installed on my phone...

Top Bottom