• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asus unveils console-size affordable PC, A-Beam Micro, aimed at Gen Z gamers and media users ($180, UHD Graphics, 128GB, up to 16GB RAM, Celeron)

https://www.asus.com.cn/
10582650509953.jpg

10582310210057.jpg

a7bba081978c491c9637347573b073a8.png

b953bbfb85fe44018e2a800b3f6ef7e1.png

17094798101505.jpg

4b03d2f7d7ed4f62a7cdb42c30cc302d.png

a970a62647a24b56aea46192432e9b30.png

GAMEFIRST IV

GameFirst IV game low-latency technology can optimize network data to provide faster and low-latency online game quality, and now the new multi-line synergy function can combine multiple gateway links and re-optimize for greater bandwidth usage, allowing players to enjoy more Large bandwidth, smoother gaming experience.
Celeron N5105 The Holy Experience
10582310250979.jpg

Specs​

processorIntel Celeron
Hard drive capacity128GB
Graphics card modelIntel® UHD Graphics
product's colourWhite
operating systemWindows® 11 Home
Memory Capacity1 x DDR4 SO-D 2933MHz 4G (pre-installed); 2 x SO-DIMM memory slots, DDR4-2933MHz (up to 16GB)
Warranty Information3 years warranty + 3 years door-to-door
Product Size115 x 115 x 49 mm (0.62L)
<>

The new PC is available right now to buy (not sure if it's shipping now or pre-orders I tried to find English Hong Kong info with no luck) and while Asus wants this to to be mainstream. Asus has not given information on when this will be brought to the west. So like with all of these it's China and a few surrounding Asian countries first. This was apparently a surprise announcement, especially since most of the A-Beam brand are laptops.

You can as usual use the usual online storefronts to import and order the device to have now.

So born 1995 or later gaf, how about it? $180 USD after conversion, that's a mainstream price point assuming Asus can get people to buy it. It can be stood up, laid flat, or cling to the back of your TV or monitor.

With a price like that Asus is cold and showing no mercy to the competition.

I'm sure there are phones that are faster than this thing. This is why the Zoomers only play phone games now, imagine them buying trash like this and trying to game on it.

yeah, we are literally speaking below Xbox 360 performance in this specific case.

CSGO runs at 720p60 locked (more or less) on 360, this drops to 20fps

I mean this PC could probably run some old steam games, like Sonic or COD Modern Warfare 1 at 30fps 720 I suppose.

But those aren't the games the target demographics is playing, they are playing Minecraft, Fortnite, Asphalt, sports games like Fifa, none of those require anything more than a Celeron to play.

Cohetedor

Not that great of a deal, and poor performance. A month ago I bought a beelink PC, the same size as this, Ryzen 3750 8gb, 256gb nvme for $210, these mini PCs have been around awhile. Only game I've tried was Forza horizon 4, gets 30+ fps at 1080p at mostly low settings. Didn't buy mine for gaming though.

Justin9mm

I'm not really sure how to feel about this one.. Aimed at Gen Z gamers, what the fuck does that even mean? I'm still confused about who this is really marketed for, it's not really great performance for gaming but not sure who these Gen Z gamers are? Is this like Fortnite gamers or something.

Last edited:
I'm not really sure how to feel about this one.. Aimed at Gen Z gamers, what the fuck does that even mean? I'm still confused about who this is really marketing for, it's not really great performance for gaming but not sure who these Gen Z gamers are? Is this like Fortnite gamers or something.
mobile games from the MS Store? That's the only thing that this crap can run at 20fps max

Celeron N5105 The Holy Experience

lol ok

Apparently that processor is a 10W TDP part. I don't know where the OP is getting that it's marketed for gamers but I'd be surprised if they were that brazen, you aren't playing games on it

Last edited:
Could have at least sprung for the pentium.

Gotta admit, I can't wrap my head around why intel sells an celeron alder lake chip on desktop. I guess some people are buying it for their grand mum but even as a browser pc, 2 cores is stutter city

Banned
I played quite a few games of that era on x800, 8800 gt, and hd 4670 hardware.

Cod4 on x850 for example:

Ps.- You got confused with ps4 I think.

the 8800GT plays Crysis pretty well, I had a 8600GT back then and I could play Crysis somewhat ok.

so yeah, an 8800GT is more than capable enough to play any PS360 era game and usually at higher settings and framerates.

GTA5 runs at 720p40fps on that thing, and the PC version has more demanding elements in it compared to the PS360 versions even on the lowest settings, the PC version was designed for Xbox One and PS4 level performance after all.

Last edited:

Banned
Gen Z? Maybe these specs are ok to run Minecraft, Fortnite and Among us.

this will never run Fortnite at anything close to playable framerates lol. you'll be lucky to hit 720p 20fps in that game.

these specs are literally lower than an Xbox 360, which means about half or less then half as powerful as a Switch!

the Switch in portable mode can't hit 720p30 reliably in Fortnite, and the dynamic res will drop dramatically at times as well as having framedrops. ~560p is what the Switch runs at typically in portable mode.
in docked you're lucky to get anything above 720p if you're not looking straight up to the sky

Last edited:
the 8800GT plays Crysis pretty well, I had a 8600GT back then and I could play Crysis somewhat ok.

so yeah, an 8800GT is more than capable enough to play any PS360 era game and usually at higher settings and framerates.

GTA5 runs at 720p40fps on that thing, and the PC version has more demanding elements in it compared to the PS360 versions even on the lowest settings.
8800GT was a sick card. Originally I tried running Crysis on a 6600GT which was just... barely playable but it still looked amazing for the time.

This stupid box isn't going to run Crysis though even if it might technically be more powerful than such an old card. Intel drivers suck and by comparison even on Nvidia the optimisation isn't there for newer architectures on an old game. It's surprising how not-amazing some mid 2000s games run on modern hardware. FEAR managed to push my 2080 Ti to the limit on a 175Hz monitor. Intel UHD doesn't stand a chance

yurinka

this will never run Fortnite at anything close to playable framerates lol. you'll be lucky to hit 720p 20fps in that game.

these specs are literally lower than an Xbox 360, which means about half or less then half as powerful as a Switch!

the Switch in portable mode can't hit 720p30 reliably in Fortnite, and the dynamic res will drop dramatically at times as well as having framedrops. ~560p is what the Switch runs at typically in portable mode.
in docked you're lucky to get anything above 720p if you're not looking straight up to the sky
Then using cloud gaming. It has gigabit lan and 16GB or RAM, if it runs Windows 11 I assume will be enough to stream videos/games in a browser.

Last edited:

Banned
Then using cloud gaming. It has gigabit lan and 16GB or RAM, if it runs Windows 11 I assume will be enough to stream videos/games in a browser.

I could actually see this having issue decoding the video stream.
so I actually wouldn't be surprised if game streaming is too demanding for this...

Ribi

i think my toshiba laptop from 2007 might be faster than that thing. And that ran TF2 at 15fps when looking at the ground and low settings

Last edited:

lukilladog

You should check some more reviews, for the price and power consumption I think this Celeron is pretty good. Windows is snappy, it can handle 4k video, and older games are pretty playable. RIP raspberry Pi, 12-16w in gaming is amazing:

Last edited:
I mean I think the CPU itself is fine, it's a very low power 4-core Tiger Lake which is whatever. I'm a little surprised by the gaming performance though given the power limitation, you would expect heavy contention for power there. Obviously it's still old games at presumably lower resolutions but still.Just don't expect anything much newer than Skyrim to work all that well, lol

Soodanim

From the title, the things it’s designed to run is Fortnite/Roblox. If it runs those, even at low settings, it’s done its job. That’s the only question I have: does it run them?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sure, it lacks Windows 11 (license costs), but
It has a built in gamepad and a decent screen… the lowest specced Steam Deck seems like a better value and a more performant solution…

Top Bottom