• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asus unveils console-size affordable PC, A-Beam Micro, aimed at Gen Z gamers and media users ($180, UHD Graphics, 128GB, up to 16GB RAM, Celeron)

Skifi28

Putting "gamer" next to this thing is just insulting, imagine somebody spending the money only to find out they can't really game on it even a little. This is a PC for browsing the web.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Am I the only one that thinks this is legitimately amazing?

Wonder what the GBP price is.

I only used my laptop primarily for iTunes management and playing Stronghold and Stronghold Crusaders, but it’s ancient now and I don’t fancy paying £300 for a crap laptop.

Small form factor, it’s like a mega Raspberry Pi.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What's preventing you from getting a Pi? Way more modular and usable
I’m crap with that sort of stuff. Wouldn’t know how to set it up.

E.g can the 400, the keyboard one, be used for N64 emulation, iTunes (my music library is well over 100gb), Steam for stronghold easily enough?

Last edited:
Those Mini-PCs are allright. For 10W it is probably good. But I don't know how this compares to anything, I guess it has (much) less power than a HTPC with a 4600G, which did cost me 330€ (+30 for the second ram module) and runs Ryse decently, so around Xbone performance.
This apu makes more sense in a laptop and or steamdeck like device. For anything that isn't mobile, this might still be okay, if it is just enough for your needs, but it's the price area where just a few bucks more will increase the performance many times. Maybe even without price hike, especially if you just get a used small PC (eg. HP EliteDesk 800 G2 65W DM Mini PC (i5 6500 Quad Core 3.2GHz, 8GB, 256GB SSD, HD Graphics 530) + Win 10 for 225€). Extreme low power without battery or cooling limits is kind of a pricey combination by default.

For anyone curious the 32EU version of the integrated graphics solution gets a massive 332 Time Spy graphics score! This system only has the 24EU version, though, so I imagine it's substantially lower.

For comparison, Iris Xe 80EU would get more like 1143 score in the same test. This iGPU is common in notebooks with i5-11300H processors for instance.

Take from that what you will.

Intel Celeron with Intel HD graphics
Jingle All The Way Lol GIF by filmeditor

TBH Iris Xe 96 EU ain't bad for most stuff, long as you aren't trying to play Cyberpunk at High settings or something like Fortnight at 300 FPS. Real GPUs would be necessary for that.

But that Celeron? Oof. Asus tends to make good stuff (great stuff, even), but I don't think anyone can make a Celeron-based product "gaming-ready".

This could be pretty great for retro emulators on a budget, though. Waiting for ETA Prime's inevitable review.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nobody is buying that thing it’s an automatic disapproval from the console and pc gaming community.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Its rather silly to market this as a console considering. Not even in China as a low cost e-sports platform.

Even a late Excavator class AMD mini PC (like HP's Elitedesks) or a Ryzen 2400GE (or even a 200GE with Vega 3) obliterate this platform.

I don't understand this product.

Kadve

$180 isn't horrible but the CPU is such trash I'm not sure I would want to bother with it.
Its what you pay for a cheaper mini-PC. You can find similarly speced ones for around $150 from the usual places .

Most of those come with suspect support though so one from a respected company at that price is a welcome thing. But marketing it to gamers is indeed laughable and they should have sold it based on what it actually is; A cheap Mini-PC for those with limited space.

Last edited:

shaddam

I really cant see it as a zoomer gamer pc. Maybe as a retro emulation box, or an r/homelab server (but for that I would prefer more threads and ram)

Rambone

Reminds me, I need a new mini-pc. The ones I have are a little outdated, unable to output 4k and ineligible for windows 11.

Mithos

You should check some more reviews, for the price and power consumption I think this Celeron is pretty good. Windows is snappy, it can handle 4k video, and older games are pretty playable. RIP raspberry Pi, 12-16w in gaming is amazing:

That Nucbox 5 (max 18watt) is really interesting as a replacement for my second computer that is ONLY used for fetching emails and as a storage device. (draws 130 watt from the wall).
Then add a NAS that maybe pull 30 watt from the wall max, and I've halved the powerusage or even more if I limit both devices.

DaGwaphics

PC aimed at gamers with Celeron processor and intel HD graphics?

Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

That Nucbox 5 (max 18watt) is really interesting as a replacement for my second computer that is ONLY used for fetching emails and as a storage device. (draws 130 watt from the wall).
Then add a NAS that maybe pull 30 watt from the wall max, and I've halved the powerusage or even more if I limit both devices.

I've been using a nuc for about a year now for day to day computing and would recommend without hesitation. Solid little machine that is nice and quiet and portable. Not sure what the price of the Nucbox 5 is, but the regular intel nucs can be found on Amazon quite cheap.

Last edited:

Mithos

I've been using a nuc for about a year now for day to day computing and would recommend without hesitation. Solid little machine that is nice and quiet and portable. Not sure what the price of the Nucbox 5 is, but the regular intel nucs can be found on Amazon quite cheap.
Nucbox 5 (8GB/128GB) is like us$ 200. (Win11 Home, free shipping)
Nucbox 5 (8GB/256GB) is like us$ 280. (Win11 Home, free shipping)

Edit: This apparently includes import fees/vat etc to Sweden.

Last edited:
Top Bottom