• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atari CEO on PSP

daMandus

Seems to be exagerating quite a bit.

""Yeah, it's cool. It's nice, like a nice car. But we have no idea if the PSP's pricing is going to be $250, $350 or $500."

"What about the movie strategy? The wireless strategy? The MP3 downloading? We don't know. What about the connectivity issues? We don't know. What about the video output? We don't know."

"Bonnell later said he expects initial pricing on the PSP to be at the high end of the scale. '$500 to start would be my guess.'"

"Development costs? From one cent to $50 million. I have no idea. I mean, it might be that 'Pong' is cool on the PSP," he said, referring to industry's first success story. "Pong doesn't cost us anything. We're Atari (ATAR: Research, Estimates)! We have Pong! Let's make it!"

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/09/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

Insertia

I have to agree with the guy. Right now, PSP is generating a lot of buzz, but Sony is giving us absolutely no concrete details about the unit.

Waiting untill TGS in September is a bit too long.

Bonnell later said he expects initial pricing on the PSP to be at the high end of the scale. "$500 to start would be my guess."

i agree with everything except that.
what an idiot.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm expecting a launch price of $299 myself. Sony knows the early adaptors will buy it, and they think the market that they're trying to carve can afford it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So Bonnell's surly because Sony hasn't put Atari high on the list to get development kits first.

But I suspect even that collection of loyal Sony customers is getting a little antsy about the lack of hard information about the system.
For a product that's still 6-8 months from release, I'm not sure why anyone would give the time of day to concerns like this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Neither Sony or Nintendo have given any info about the price, and any firm info about many other things, but I honestly don't see why should they. There's plenty of time for that.

Fularu

Banned
While it's true sony needs not give the consumers details abotu the psp strategy, pricing point, features of future, they absolutely need to give them to the developpers. they are those who feed them with games, if, as a developper, I had as little information on the PSP as Bonnel is suggesting he has (and don't be wrong, Atari is the second biggest publisher behind EA and just in front of Ubi), I wouldn't touch the system with a 10 ft pole.

They are those who will make the system a success or a failure, they need to know the end pricing, the way things work, how they interact, they need to know everything he stated, and they obviously don't.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It's possible that Sony rates Atari's worth to them in regards to the PSP on a somewhat lesser scale than you've stated. From a quality standpoint, that's not a bad idea.

Fularu

Banned
I don't know, with games like Budokai, Transformers, Driv3r, forgotten realms (coming soon) and just to name a few on the top of my head, you'd believe they have a better and far stronger line up than say... Koei

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Driv3r?

laughing.jpg

The phrase you're looking for is "financial boondoggle". Or alternatively, "Kentucky Fried Crap". To wit:
Driv3r: I'm done with it
Apparently the game went gold today, bugs and all, which means it'll definitely be out by the end of the month. Regardless, my torturous week with Driv3r is over. I shan't miss it one bit. It's a game of two halves; a perfectly adequate half, and a really shitty half - and part of me really wants to ruin the whole thing for you now just to spare you having to play the thing. The ending is awful. Che IM'd me this morning, utterly incredulous at the "reward" the game provided him at the end.
The design maladies plauge the game throughout the entire story mode, and is packed with ludicrously bad design choices. It really does play as though the team was rushed and had to get the thing finished, because some of it is just dumb. There are missions that are truly inspired, and there are missions that make no sense whatsoever. There are missions in which you have every weapon featured in the game, along with seemlingly limitless ammo, and there are later missions where you have a very limited supply for no adequately explained reason. There are missions that are inspired by movies, and there are missions inspired by the development team being crap at designing missions. The script never improves, in fact it gets worse as the game progresses, and the acting is appalling. I don't know how much of the reported $30 million budget went to Ving Rhames, Michael Madsen, Mickey Rourke, and Michelle Rodriguez, but however much it was, it was too much. Their performances are dreadful. They lack any kind of emotion, and by the end you really couldn't care less what happens to any of them. All that time, all that cash, and you are utterly detached from the entire experience. I'm sure Atari could have spent their money much more wisely, and it's clear that Reflections' ambitions for their project were competely out of whack with what they were actually capable of producing.

I'm sure when the review scores start to appear, Atari will be appropriately offended at how no one buys into their message for the game. This is a group of individuals that refers to the Driv3r website as "advertainment." How odious.

Fortunately, and I hope this doesn't give too much away, I don't think that we're likely to have to suffer another Driver game. At least not in the form that it currently takes. I'm sure there may be something to tie in with the movie, if it ever happens - but even that, I think, will be quite seperate from the timeline of the three games.

When the first Driver was released, I can remember it making me genuinely excited about the future of videogames. It was an incredible achievement on PS1 at the time, and was innovative and extremely fun. Driv3r epitomizes everything that's wrong with the games industry right now. The bloated budgets and pompous marketing, the lack of refinement, and the continued obsession with drawing similarities between gaming and Hollywood.

I have no idea if it will sell well. If it does, I guess maybe I wouldn't be so surprised. Think of it as a similar phenomenon as why people went to see the second two Matrix movies (and, I guess Atari's last interactive travesty, the big-selling-bad-game Enter the Matrix). It doesn't matter that some prodcutions are just plain bad, there are apparently thousands upon thousands of people that are blinded by marketing and consequently cheated into enduring crappy entertainment. With movies it's $10 and 2 hours of your life, with Driv3r it's $50 and as many hours as you're prepared to suffer it. 10? 20? More? Thank goodness that it's not just that awful story mode. If you're prepared to fool around in a fairly empty digital sandbox, you can play around with all the extra modes and make your own fun.

Atari is skating on thin ice with each passing mega-production, and at some point I fear they'll fall through. Enter the Matrix was an expensive and bad game, yet it sold far more than anyone expected. Driv3r is similarly expensive and similarly bad, and consequently just as risky.

Fularu

Banned
If you don'T mind, I'll wait till I rent the game before listening to just one person's opinion on the game.

reflection never deceived me in the past, I just hope one day they'll go back to their roots and make us a true sequel to Beast

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
So Bonnell's surly because Sony hasn't put Atari high on the list to get development kits first.
In all fairness, should this really be Sony's attitude when breaking into a new market where ultimate success rides on what products third parties deliver? Atari ranks as one of the world's largest publishers easily, why's Sony withholding privelages and playing favorites in a market where they're the underdog? Should Atari fall in line and wait like a good little publisher? They'll get whatever Sony decides they deserve? Shades of Nintendo? :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Aww, now, if you really wanted to be fair you would have also pointed out that, at this early point in the PSP's lifecycle, there's probably not enough SDKs to go around for absolutely every developer that has an interest in one just yet. So, right now, its not really a matter of playing favorites but rather strategizing with limited resources. Considering how Atari execs have been waxing practically poetic about the DS and how it will "energize both developers and consumers" and "push handheld technology to uncharted territories", Sony probably figured the pedestrian PSP would hardly be worth the attentions of their lofty ambitions. :p

Fularu

Banned
kaching said:
Aww, now, if you really wanted to be fair you would have also pointed out that, at this early point in the PSP's lifecycle, there's probably not enough SDKs to go around for absolutely every developer that has an interest in one just yet. So, right now, its not really a matter of playing favorites but rather strategizing with limited resources. Considering how Atari execs have been waxing practically poetic about the DS and how it will "energize both developers and consumers" and "push handheld technology to uncharted territories", Sony probably figured the pedestrian PSP would hardly be worth the attentions of their lofty ambitions. :p

Now that's some Damage Control :p

jarrod

Banned
Time to pick...

kaching said:
Aww, now, if you really wanted to be fair you would have also pointed out that, at this early point in the PSP's lifecycle,
6-8 months before release (your own estimation) doesn't really strike me as significantly early in a platform's prerelease cycle... when do developers normally get kits?

kaching said:
there's probably not enough SDKs to go around for absolutely every developer that has an interest in one just yet.
So let's get this straight... Q-games, Dylan Cuthbert's tiny Japanese start-up, has final hardware and SDKs but Atari, one of the world's top 10 publishers doesn't get them? Every developer is one thing, a huge worldwide publisher is another.

kaching said:
So, right now, its not really a matter of playing favorites but rather strategizing with limited resources.
And would it be your position that passing over one of the world's largest publishers who holds multiple million selling brands counts as good strategy when entering a new market?

kaching said:
Considering how Atari execs have been waxing practically poetic about the DS and how it will "energize both developers and consumers" and "push handheld technology to uncharted territories", Sony probably figured the pedestrian PSP would hardly be worth the attentions of their lofty ambitions. :p
Funny they didn't extend the same logic to THQ, Square Enix, Capcom, EA, Activision, Konami, Namco and so many others. Atari's DS position is hardly unique, so far most companies are repeating the same line, so why should their treatment be different compared to other notable publishers?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I could do the same to your post jarrod, but I'd think that's missing the point of trading sarcastic posts separately masquerading as fair and balanced analysis of the situation in the first place. Nitpicking seems a little unbecoming but if that's the direction you want to take it, I'll be back in a bit to respond in kind...again.

jarrod

Banned
Whoops, just read the article. Seems THQ (the largest 3rd party publisher of handheld software) hasn't gotten final kits or hardware either and is in the exact same boat as Atari... seems like only Japanese developers have them so far. Sony's not playing favorites so much as just running way behind schedule. :/

Realistically, I wonder if this could mean a western delay past fiscal 2005?

neptunes

all the better.

they could use the time to develop decent battery life and a decent launch price.

though I doubt that happening.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
I could do the same to your post jarrod, but I'd think that's missing the point of trading sarcastic posts separately masquerading as fair and balanced analysis of the situation in the first place. Nitpicking seems a little unbecoming but if that's the direction you want to take it, I'll be back in a bit to respond in kind...again.
Sorry didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.. my original response was tongue in cheek mainly to get a certain point across rather than flirtation. Hubris wouldn't be an advantage for PSP, maybe I should've been clearer?

GigaDrive

Banned
DS $199, or if Nintendo is bold, $149

PSP $299. if Sony is bold, $249 if Sony is a crazy mother focker, $199

just my 2c.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
my original response was tongue in cheek
I know...it's not your original response that was disappointing.

Hubris wouldn't be an advantage for PSP, maybe I should've been clearer?
Obviously, but the only hubris immediately apparent from Bonnell's comments is his own. He sounds like the most popular girl at school realizing the quarterback of the football team has dared to pass her over in favor of the shy bookworm.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Fularu said:
If you don'T mind, I'll wait till I rent the game before listening to just one person's opinion on the game.

reflection never deceived me in the past, I just hope one day they'll go back to their roots and make us a true sequel to Beast

Of course I have yet to see ANY positive previews for the game... but hey... technicalities.... technicalities...

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Obviously, but the only hubris immediately apparent from Bonnell's comments is his own. He sounds like the most popular girl at school realizing the quarterback of the football team has dared to pass her over in favor of the shy bookworm.
My response was to your interpretation that Sony didn't rank Atari as "worthy of kits". Upon reading the actual article it seems that's not really the case so whatever my response was is unimportant. Again, it pretty clear Sony's not picking favorites, they're simply way behind schedule.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"they're simply way behind schedule."

Yeah, a bit worried that the JPN launch is gonna slip.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
My interpretation had nothing to do with worthiness, just an explanation for the tone behind his comments.

GigaDrive

Banned
PSP is basicly a 2005 product.

seems like less than 50% chance of December launch in Japan. late winter or spring 2005 for the rest of the world, if not for Japan also. less than a year now.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
If Sony wants to release the PSP in accordance to Playstation's 10th Anniversary in Japan, they better release it in Dec this year. It would be disappointing to delay it until 2005 like the rest.

jiggle

Based on a couple of interviews, seems like the goal for their launch is to have at least two must haves. If GT Portable makes it, that'll be one. And maybe Winning Eleven Portable?
Even if it only has one of those two, among other B and C titles, I think a Dec launch is still plausible.

For the US, GTP and MGA:)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Still, titles aside, it we need a Ridge Racer and a Tekken title at PSP launch to keep tradition. Hopefully Tokyo Game Show will unveil a Tekken Trilogy or something along side Ridge Racer Portable.

Is Gran Turismo Portable really going to make it this year in Japan? Obviously, I don't know, but the game seems like a mid-2005 release to me.

Unless it's being made by someone other than Polyphony Digital, it seems like they wouldn't have time and resources to make both titles for this year, even if they are similar. The Portable version isn't supposed to be exactly like the console version, is it?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Again, it pretty clear Sony's not picking favorites, they're simply way behind schedule
Are they? Last I remember they said they'll be sending final hardware devkits to developers, during this summer. They've already started sending them out to devs in Japan, and I assume western devs will follow soon.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I wouldn't expect GT4 for PSP within the first 6 months of launch...one of the more recent interviews with the GT creator made it sound like it was still early in the planning stages.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
My interpretation had nothing to do with worthiness, just an explanation for the tone behind his comments.
However you'd ike to phrase it, it was incorrect. Atari's position isn't really unique, it seems no western publishers have kits yet.

Marconelly said:
Are they? Last I remember they said they'll be sending final hardware devkits to developers, during this summer. They've already started sending them out to devs in Japan, and I assume western devs will follow soon.
Well that in and itself was a delay from Spring kits which was also a delay. IIRC final SDKs were originally supppossed to go out in 2003.

I still think they'll make December 2004 in Japan, even if all they've got is Ridge Racer & Puyo Puyo ready... I'm more worried about the US launch making it in the following 3 months (Europe's probably been knocked to summer already).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
However you'd ike to phrase it, it was incorrect. Atari's position isn't really unique, it seems no western publishers have kits yet.
What was incorrect about my original statement? I didn't claim or infer that their position was unique. You're putting words in my mouth, Jarrod.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
What was incorrect about my original statement? I didn't claim or infer that their position was unique. You're putting words in my mouth, Jarrod.
It was incorrect because Sony hasn't knocked Atari down to some lower priority range, they're just behind on getting kits out to everyone. Your attempt to paint Atari and Bonnel as some pissed off cheerleader, and render whatever concerns he might have over PSP as petty and reactionary, just strikes me as a bit over the top. Kudos though if that was your attempt from the start, rather than any meaningful analysis of the article.

On the other hand, I apologize for the joking baiting... it wasn't really my intention, I guess I just came back to the thread in a different mindset but it was still pretty vulgar of me. Sorry.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jarrod, thanks for the apology, but I've still got to hold to the position that you are misperceiving the intent of my observations here. I haven't said a thing about whether Bonnell's concerns are valid or not, I have only spoken about the way he's chosen to go about expressing them. I definitely think his responses are petty and reactionary and because of that he makes it very difficult to assess the validity of the concerns behind his words. It doesn't help that the article focuses primarily on what he has to say with only a cursory reference to what the other delegates at this conference had to say as well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well that in and itself was a delay from Spring kits which was also a delay.
Really? They only thing I've ever heard was 2003 for the emulators and summer 2004 for final devkits...

It will be interesting who makes what and in what timeframe (game developers I mean) I still can't think 6-9 months is enough to make a good game with final devkit in hands of a very talented developer. Especially when it's a handheld game that doesn't have to be as demanding as a console game. Wasn't RS2 on Gamecube made in something like 7 months period?

GDGF

Soothsayer
I hope Sony is feeling cocky enough to give the NDS a bigger headstart than they're already planning :)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>"Bonnell later said he expects initial pricing on the PSP to be at the high end of the scale. '$500 to start would be my guess.'"<<<

Translation: "I'm a retard.".

Top Bottom