• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lamen here: Why do pc games simply do not blow out console games graphically?

S0ULZB0URNE

PCs scale.

Are you seriously saying Alan Wake 2 was held back wen
My 4080 does path tracing maxed out around that frame rate.

4090s go above 100

That is with fake fps and resolutions.
You can have a 1070 + ryzen 5 combo with an ssd as well. The cpu may be better in the Xbox but the gpu suffers too much to consider that a win. Especially when this was a topic about graphics in pc games
That would be inferior in features by a couple generations.

Bojji

Yes it is.
Series s is more efficient,newer with more modern features.
Has a much faster storage solution.
More modern and efficient CPU.

LOL

Here is 4.9TF RDNA2 GPU - Series S has 4.0TF so this is stronger:

Nrfqxwp.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
The whole concept of consoles having 7-8 year update cycles is not great if you want to advance fidelity and graphics in general

And yet the latest graphicallly demanding game, Avatar, will run on a GPU that was released in 2016. PS5 and XSX do not equate to the minimum supported systems in gaming so how are they holding anything back?

Last edited:

Puscifer

That is with fake fps and resolutions.

That would be inferior in features by a couple generations.
Your point being what exactly? DLSS reconstruction can sometimes look better than native.

I'm still able to have graphical features that would make my PS5 melt. Whining about upscaling tech that's being used on consoles but apparently that was just fine with checkerboard rendering last gen, FSR this Gen and there's people here whining and ready FSR 3.0 frame Gen on PS5/x1

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The quotes speak for themselves.

Gaiff Gaiff why you quoting me you know you are blocked I won't entertain you and your bs.
Nah, I didn't know or I forgot. Ironic that you were the one to block when I made you look like a tool in that Alan Wake 2 thread.

A 1070 is faster than the Xbox One X GPU and will wipe the floor with the Series S if paired with 16GB of RAM and a semi-decent CPU. You won't have to drop down to 540p on a 1070 and it has 8GB of dedicated VRAM, not a puny 7.5GB for the entire system, including for standard RAM allocation.

Last edited:

Xyphie

Pretty wild seeing this thread while I'm playing FF7 Intergrade at ~160 FPS at 3440x1440, so like ~100 FPS over the best console version while outputting ~33% more pixels.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
1070 is inferior only a clown would just mention rasterization with modern games.

Conveniently leaves out the other specs vs the minimum.
And only a clown would bring up ray tracing on a fucking Series S. I can probably count the number of ray-traced games on the Series S on one hand whereas a 1070 even equipped with an old 2600 will embarrass it almost every time.

Here is the 1070 running the game at 1080p/High-Very High settings and averaging 54fps.

Compared to the Series S that runs it at 540p upscaled to 1080p.

I'm still shocked how you still hang around when much less egregious posters have been banned time and again.

S0ULZB0URNE

Your point being what exactly? DLSS reconstruction can sometimes look better than native.

I'm still able to have graphical features that would make my PS5 melt. Whining about upscaling tech that's being used on consoles but apparently that was just fine with checkerboard rendering last gen, FSR this Gen and there's people here whining and ready FSR 3.0 frame Gen on PS5/x1
Point being it's using trickery because it's NOT optimized for modern tech because much older tech is still supported.

Same(more so in fact) goes for the PS5.
If it was built with the strengths of the PS5 in mind it would run even better.

Development cost, resources, and market penetration.

The average PC gamer doesn't have a PC that outperforms a PS5.

If you want to see what a high end PC can really do, you gotta see some of those demos out there.

Puscifer

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
1070 is inferior only a clown would just mention rasterization with modern games.
Literally the only thing the xss is any good at is rasterization. And the 1070 is superior to the xss on that front.

If you wanna talk features, the rtx 4000 series has you covered.

S0ULZB0URNE

Development cost, resources, and market penetration.

The average PC gamer doesn't have a PC that outperforms a PS5.

If you want to see what a high end PC can really do, you gotta see some of those demos out there.
Right they gotta take the nipple out of the mouth of older tech.

But these publishers are to scared to tell the devs to do this.

So 3rd party games suffer.
Alan Wake 2 is literally built for RT supported tech at the minimum you clown.

It's built for generations older gpu,cpu's and ram amounts.
I had 16gb of ram in 2010.
Serious modern PC gamers use much more.

S0ULZB0URNE

Literally the only thing the xss is any good at is rasterization. And the 1070 is superior to the xss on that front.

If you wanna talk features, the rtx 4000 series has you covered.
It offers generations newer features like RT.

4000 series isn't the minimum specs.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Pretty wild seeing this thread while I'm playing FF7 Intergrade at ~160 FPS at 3440x1440, so like ~100 FPS over the best console version while outputting ~33% more pixels.
How is the occasional traversal stuttering? Patched or still there?

Would it be possible (maybe it is already out there) for some dev to create a very small Demo of what is possible on the highest of highest end of PC? Just so that we get a sense of what is being held back by all other graphics cards and / or consoles? I don't think this may be that expensive to make

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why do we not see a difference?

Oh there’s definitely a difference, just like there’s a difference between Switch and PS5.

You’re just not going to see special assets created solely for PC, so that’s why games look similar. It’s all about PCs being able to run those same games at settings and performance levels that consoles cant handle.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
If such dated(in comparison) tech has to be taken in consideration in the development process the better hardware suffers.
Poor PS5 version of R&C and Returnal held back by the later PC version. /s

Again for you:

What are you talking about? No-one is targeting a 1050, they make the game and then see what hardware it runs on and then say whatever gets 1080p or 720p at lowest settings the minimum requirement.
Do you really think that when they were remastering the Last of Us for PS5 they were held back by targeting a Radeon 470?

S0ULZB0URNE

Would it be possible (maybe it is already out there) for some dev to create a very small Demo of what is possible on the highest of highest end of PC? Just so that we get a sense of what is being held back by all other graphics cards and / or consoles? I don't think this may be that expensive to make
Yes they have some demos that show off the PC and they are mega taxing.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Download the Matrix Demo and push some sliders up and see.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Would a gba be more powerful than a Nintendo 64 because it has "newer features"?

How about a 3ds vs a ps3? Would the 3ds solo the ps3 because of the "newer features" its hardware may have?

It's an odd logic to be using here

S0ULZB0URNE

Dude all you do on here is fight with people. Don't ya ever get bored of all the negativity?
All you do is troll console players. And you don't even run a powerful PC.

Would a gba be more powerful than a Nintendo 64 because it has "newer features"?

How about a 3ds vs a ps3? Would the 3ds solo the ps3 because of the "newer features" its hardware may have?

It's an odd logic to be using here
Yes GBA is more capable and powerful than a n64.

PS3 is more capable and powerful than a 3ds.

It's not just about newer It's about capabilities.
I guess when we have no argument we reach for such silly examples.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yes GBA is more capable and powerful than a n64.
The games do not suggest that at all though lol. Which kind of proves that features dont make power even if it may be more "capable" and "powerful"...

btw, this convo, makes me really think you have no idea what those words mean...

S0ULZB0URNE

The games do not suggest that at all though lol. Which kind of proves that features dont make power even if it may be more "capable" and "powerful"...

btw, this convo, makes me really think you have no idea what those words mean...
GBA games look significantly better than n64.
Your terrible comparisons make me think you jumped in without knowing.

Top Bottom