• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lamen here: Why do pc games simply do not blow out console games graphically?

Elysium44

Banned
LOL

Here is 4.9TF RDNA2 GPU - Series S has 4.0TF so this is stronger:

Nrfqxwp.jpg

AFAIK the Series S GPU in practice performs around GTX 1070 / RTX 3050 level, regardless of its lower specs on paper. (By 'performs' I mean in real world game performance rather than theoretical benchmarks.)

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

AFAIK the Series S GPU in practice performs around GTX 1070 / RTX 3050 level, regardless of its lower specs on paper. (By 'performs' I mean in real world game performance rather than theoretical benchmarks.)
Is also more efficient with newer graphical features.

Right no actual benchmarks exist of any of these custom console GPU's even though they like to think they got em figured out.

Last edited:
How does wanting a good frame rate in a game make you a snob? Also, the game might look ok if you’re standing still, but when you move the 30fps mode looks bad. Like really weird and choppy animations. The 60fps mode looks better in motion overall.

P.S.- Rebirth will stutter even if it comes a year later. Modders will be ready for it this time.

30 fps is a perfectly acceptable framerate if stable.

FF7:R plays incredibly smooth in this mode. It only takes a few minutes to adjust your brain and it's good after that.

It does not look weird or choppy at all. 30 fps used to be standard in gaming for decades, and getting a stable 30 was often something we'd never even get as many games would dip to low 20s or worse.

The 60 fps mode looks like crap - far less detailed, and it doesn't make a different for the gameplay.

Stuart360

Problem is that game development today is so expensive that publishers have to release their AAA games on everything to have a chance of a decent profit, or even breaking even.
Back in the 90's when game development costs were waaay lower than today, PC had tons of exclusives, many that blew away console games to an extent that a port to console was often not possible, and when it was possible, the ports were always pale imitations of the PC versions.
Still even with multiplatform AAA games, you have a good enough PC and it blows away the console versions. Low bitrate Youtube vids are not the best way of compariosn. Thats why you see with the DF comparisons thta the console versions are often using a mixture of High, medium, with a few low and even very low graphical settings compared to the PC versions.

Senua

30 fps is a perfectly acceptable framerate if stable.

FF7:R plays incredibly smooth in this mode. It only takes a few minutes to adjust your brain and it's good after that.

It does not look weird or choppy at all. 30 fps used to be standard in gaming for decades, and getting a stable 30 was often something we'd never even get as many games would dip to low 20s or worse.

The 60 fps mode looks like crap - far less detailed, and it doesn't make a different for the gameplay.
30 is the bare minimum, I really don't enjoy 30 as it looks so damn choppy in motion on my oled but I get how it's acceptable for most people. Always surprised at 30 is fine crew on an enthusiast forum tho, thought standards would be higher

I started playing The Witcher 3 on my pc with everything turned to max/ultra+ ray tracing on and it's unbelievable how good the game looks. Textures look so detailed. More green, more npc's (because pc options). No comparison to the PS5 updated version. Like some said before. Older games look like new games sometimes when you are used to the console versions.

Stick to consoles if you want to but you are missing out. Same with sticking to 1080p. If it suits you, great, but 4k on a big screen on a powerful pc with games on ultra or beyond are a different viewing experience. Textures come to life.

People forget that some pc games can give you more npc's in a world or more different npc variations (Cyberpunk 2077 comes to mind), more scenery details, that also enhance the believablity of the game world.

MCplayer

Production-value, imo.

To me, AAA titles like TLOU, GOW and Horizon might not always push graphics/performance as much as PC (mainly due hardware limitations), but they are far more polished.

Hence why I never really cared much for PC gaming.
They are more polished but mainly done with more care because they are more equipped for it, (maybe not microsoft anymore) while pc games push IQ, console exclusives push graphic features, which pc game has more realistic faces than TLOU? or which PC racing game is as photorealistic as GT7, theres ray tracing yes but that is more of a general evolution for every single game, Sony and MS have alot more money than any pc dedicated studio therefore studios have better means to do graphical research, development, etc and therefore they mainly use in house engines while PC games its mostly the sames like UE or unity, cryengine, etc .. the only "studio" I can see giving MS and SONY a run for its money its NVIDIA but they don't make games, you could say crytek but those basically dont exist anymore, Rockstar honestly seems to be more of a sony studio that went multiplatform but still prioritizes PS for being the least that can manage graphicly in terms of RAW power.

Idk

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It's true though especially with scaling for all types of setups.
All scaling work only involves adding a few graphical settings, this isn't exactly back-breaking labor. Most of the job is just the work of porting to a different platform.

And like i said, this is Rockstar. "Lack of resources" isn't a valid excuse for them. It's fairly obvious they just do this to maximize profits, releasing "slightly better" version of the game on PC an year later.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Because most PC gamers aren't actually running bleeding edge systems, they're clinging to 4 year old mid range cards and the like, and if you truly targeted high end hardware, the market would be too small. Just look at the Steam hardware surveys.

With path-tracing, we are seeing a few PC games push top end PCs to do things that completely blow away what we see on consoles, but those games still have to be made in a way that can scale down, and often aren't arted with the higher end spec first.

Top Bottom