• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Planet replies to GCN MMAC cries

explodet

BuddyChrist83 said:
sidenote: it's amazing how much most people don't care. i was at EB today, this guy was trading in stacks of games, and he wanted to pick up MMAC on GC. I told him about all the issues, and he kinda looked at me funny ans said "Well, I'll just deal with it."

His use of logic and reasoning took me by complete surprise.
GAF ≠ Real Life

Hee hee

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Finished MM1 today (straight run, no continues). As much as AP messed up on the GC version, I was able to adapt within 20 minutes. Oddly enough, AP did not mess up MM7 and MM8, so when they eventually get around to the PR'ing that 1 - 6 uses a control 'feature' that passed playtesting (heh), you'll know their talking shit.

That said, Capcom Rawks!

cvxfreak

People, you should all feel lucky Capcom even used the PSone versions for the MegaMan games. Capcom certainly didn't want to use the best available versions of RE2 and RE3 for the GC ports (the Dreamcast ones).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm guessing they were based off the original PSX releases.

Still, weren't the DC games simply the PC versions ported using WinCE or whatever with all the costumes/bonuses unlocked from the getgo? (And VMU information windows snuck in)

kiryogi

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
sidenote: it's amazing how much most people don't care. i was at EB today, this guy was trading in stacks of games, and he wanted to pick up MMAC on GC. I told him about all the issues, and he kinda looked at me funny ans said "Well, I'll just deal with it."

His use of logic and reasoning took me by complete surprise.

Thats my logic.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
MMAC was officially announced back in Sept./Oct. 2003, with a release date of February 2004. Atomic Planet had an additional 4 months to work on the game (totalling 8-9 months of work), and they still couldn't get it right.

ge-man

Might as well close this thread. Nothing productive can be said about this issue. The music thing can't be help and the controls can be dealt with if you can't get hold of a PS2. Some people will still be pissed, but shit this isn't exactly a new phenomenom for GC only owners is it?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
ge-man said:
...but shit this isn't exactly a new phenomenom for GC only owners is it?
Never been this bad or blatant. I would only like to see this thread continued if AP responds about the control issue.

ge-man

I would love to see a response as well, but nothing will come of it. Especially dealing with Capcom. People still dealing with the networking issues of Steel Batallion: LOC can tell you that--they are being flat out ignored and that situation is a hundred times worst because the meat of the game is unplayable for just about everyone else in the world except Japan (their insane bandwith gets around the problem).

After picking up the PS2 version of the compilation, which I'm loving by the way, I have to toss just one more complaint on the pile: Atomic Planet's intro logo is one of the longest and most idiotic I've seen. Luckily it's skippable, which is more than can be said for many of the other horrible dev team animations that seem to be coming almost exclusively out of the US.

cvxfreak

Brandon F said:
I'm guessing they were based off the original PSX releases.

Still, weren't the DC games simply the PC versions ported using WinCE or whatever with all the costumes/bonuses unlocked from the getgo? (And VMU information windows snuck in)

Yes they were, but they were the best. The GC versions were only as 'advanced' as their already weak (content-wise) PSone games. Not to mention Capcom eventually had to deal with the DC-to-GC conversion with RECVX. MM fans should feel lucky.

kiryogi

Banned
Hmm does anyone know anything about minor graphical issues with the PS2 version? What I'm hearing at gamefaqs anyway.. and also wondering about the music. Oh and it seems the thing G4TV did is actually really good, can't wait to see it.

Here's said issues:

In MM 1-6 on the PS2 there is a black border along the left and right side of the screen, the Gamecube does not have this and the picture fills the entire screen. A slight difference and I wouldn't have noticed it if I werent' comparing the two games through a switch box.

If the PS2 version has the remixed tracks that are in Rockman Complete Works, then Plant Man's remix song in the GameCube version is different than the PS2's Plant Man remix and is exclusive to the GameCube version. There's also the "Homage to Mega Man" song, which is a remix of the title screen music in Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge for the original GameBoy, and is used in the Mega Man Anniversary Collection Trailer. And there are about 3 or 4 other known remixes in the GameCube version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I noticed the black borders on both systems when trying at a store...but they were slightly larger on PS2. GC games tend to overscan more, though, so I'm not shocked. Those borders are only present on MM1-6, though. They look the same outside of that difference...

The control issue is absolutely impossible to understand.

The G4 interviews, I believe are taken from ICONS, which surprisingly, from the one taped show I saw (the MegaMan one surprisingly enough) was actually very good.

Ranger X

bobbyconover said:
After picking up the PS2 version of the compilation, which I'm loving by the way, I have to toss just one more complaint on the pile: Atomic Planet's intro logo is one of the longest and most idiotic I've seen. Luckily it's skippable, which is more than can be said for many of the other horrible dev team animations that seem to be coming almost exclusively out of the US.

lol So true ;)

Ryck

Im happy with it for the most part ...It would have been nice to have the ability to map the buttons but for 29.99 10 mega man games.....

Socreges

Banned
Y'know, it's really nice how GC games truly do load considerably faster than PS2 games, but exceptions such as these make you wonder if it's necessarily worth it. Then again, there have been few.

AP's comments regarding why the game takes up so much space are legit, but at the same time I have to admit the whole development strategy by AP/Capcom was pretty bunk in the first place.

Remaking the games with a unified code base and graphics set (see: Super Mario All-Stars) probably would not have taken much more time, and I have to admit that was the product quality I was looking for.

bobbyconover said:

Blame Jason Rubin.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Eh. I guess my earlier guess was right... AP just did a quick and dirty port of the Japanese PSX games... I have this nagging suspicion that Capcom would have agreed to a 2 disc set for the game (especially considering the fact that Nintendo is supposedly generous as far as second disc costs go), but that Atomic Planet didn't bother to bring it to their attention. The games could have easily been split over two discs with very little effort on their part.

jarrod

Banned
So if the games are recoded from scratch and not emulated, why not use the vastly superior Saturn version of MegaMan 8? Why settle for the PSX version if ease of emulation isn't an issue?

tenchir

jarrod said:
So if the games are recoded from scratch and not emulated, why not use the vastly superior Saturn version of MegaMan 8? Why settle for the PSX version if ease of emulation isn't an issue?

Because it is far easier to port the PSX version to the PS2 than the superior Saturn version.

Gattsu25

Banned
fenekku-gitsune said:
OK, that's it. The final straw.

This thread has officially made me hate the GameCube thanks to its users.

100% agreed about the fans. They really are the worst thing about an other-wise great system.

Alcibiades

Gattsu25 said:
100% agreed about the fans. They really are the worst thing about an other-wise great system.

roll1.gif

lmao, FANS influencing the enjoyment of a system...

that's a good one!

Sales Numbers understandibly make all games on a system more fun, but now strangers by their computers are [art of a "system"...

jarrod

Banned
tenchir said:
Because it is far easier to port the PSX version to the PS2 than the superior Saturn version.
Sure but not for GameCube. There's no reason why the GCN MMAC couldn't have had the Saturn version, it would've been a nice little peace offering up for the omission of remixed soundtracks and it wouldn't have been any more work than porting the PS1 version.

dark10x

jarrod said:
Sure but not for GameCube. There's no reason why the GCN MMAC couldn't have had the Saturn version, it would've been a nice little peace offering up for the omission of remixed soundtracks and it wouldn't have been any more work than porting the PS1 version.

No, I'd say it applies to Gamecube as well...

Despite the hardware differences, porting a PSX game to ANY other platform will almost always be easier than porting something from the Saturn...

TKM

I don't think Capcom/AP would want to deal with two codebases when porting MM8. All sorts of complications arise in testing, debugging, and implementation. Maybe the PS1 version was better documented and more easily read while the Saturn one was riddled with custom DSP code.

What would have taken very little work that few people have mentioned, is including the bonus interviews on the PS2 version as well. There should have been plenty of room.

NotMSRP

PS2 version has a 1GB of free space left.

The SF2 anime movie on HSF2AE is 2.7GB for a 2hr movie and is of very good quality.

Shompola

Banned
"Despite the hardware differences, porting a PSX game to ANY other platform will almost always be easier than porting something from the Saturn..."

ANY? how do you know? Do you know the Saturn architecture in and out? How about PSX? Are you a legimite programmer, engineer to make such a statement? Have you examined the codes? the documentations? Do all games on Saturn use the parallel CPU's on the saturn? If no does that make a great impact of readability and porting the games to other platforms?

And also the Mega Drive version of Mega Man was pretty good, especially the music. of course you guys probably tried it on one of those emulators with butchered sound.

dark10x

Shompola said:
"Despite the hardware differences, porting a PSX game to ANY other platform will almost always be easier than porting something from the Saturn..."

ANY? how do you know? Do you know the Saturn architecture in and out? How about PSX? Are you a legimite programmer, engineer to make such a statement? Have you examined the codes? the documentations? Do all games on Saturn use the parallel CPU's on the saturn? If no does that make a great impact of readability and porting the games to other platforms?

And also the Mega Drive version of Mega Man was pretty good, especially the music. of course you guys probably tried it on one of those emulators with butchered sound.

Yes to all of those questions.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Shompola said:

I like Mega Drive versions a lot... but what emu has butchered sound since 98?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Ok... I walked into Fry's today and took a look at Ribbit King... no intention of buying it, but I was curious about the box...

Ribbit King, a $20 budget title, is a two disc game.

This is killing me. Ribbit King uses a second disc JUST for a pile of video clips. That's all. The box says it comes with a bonus disc containing movie clips of "Frolf" (frog golf).

Atomic Planet may well be the most worthless assortment of folks known to man, at this point... all signs point to two discs being a perfectly viable option, especially given that the 8 MM games are all individual programs (being ported directly from the original PSX titles)... you wouldn't even need to do any work to split the game into pieces, JUST dump 4-5 games on one disc and 4-5 games on the other.

Hero

DavidDayton said:
Ok... I walked into Fry's today and took a look at Ribbit King... no intention of buying it, but I was curious about the box...

Ribbit King, a $20 budget title, is a two disc game.

This is killing me. Ribbit King uses a second disc JUST for a pile of video clips. That's all. The box says it comes with a bonus disc containing movie clips of "Frolf" (frog golf).

Atomic Planet may well be the most worthless assortment of folks known to man, at this point... all signs point to two discs being a perfectly viable option, especially given that the 8 MM games are all individual programs (being ported directly from the original PSX titles)... you wouldn't even need to do any work to split the game into pieces, JUST dump 4-5 games on one disc and 4-5 games on the other.

They didn't even have to do it like that. I'm sure the 20 minute G4 interview was a major chunk and all the extra music probably took up space. Just dump all the extra's on a second disc. Beat a game on disc 1? Put in disc 2 where it accesses your memory card and shows you what you earned. 'Game Disc' and 'Gallery Disc' for Pete's sake.

etiolate

Banned
The whole thing just doesn't sound well planned out. If you are going to use the much, much, much larger PSX versions of the games and looking to put in remixed music...wouldn't you consider 2 discs from the very start? Or reconsider using the PSX versions if you were looking at 1.35gb of space?

They didn't even have to do it like that. I'm sure the 20 minute G4 interview was a major chunk and all the extra music probably took up space. Just dump all the extra's on a second disc. Beat a game on disc 1? Put in disc 2 where it accesses your memory card and shows you what you earned. 'Game Disc' and 'Gallery Disc' for Pete's sake.

That would have been nice.

Gattsu25

Banned
efralope said:
lmao, FANS influencing the enjoyment of a system...

NEVER said that, Poindexter. There's a reason why I specified that I agreed about JUST the fans and not the rest of the quote.

"NEVER said that, Poindexter. There's a reason why I specified that I agreed about JUST the fans and not the rest of the quote."

I agree that you never said that.

But I don't agree with the rest of the quote where you call him Poindexter. That's rude.:)

Alcibiades

what's a pointdexter?

anyway, you also said "They really are the worst thing about an other-wise great system.", that seems to imply that fans are "part" of the system, a negative aspect of the GCN...

either way, "fans" don't really affect systems, just hardware, games, etc...

they may affect your perception of a minute portion of some gamers that spend some time online, but "fans" cannot affect systems...

Capcom is giving you TEN Mega Man games for $30. Now, I'm no mathologist, but I think that comes out to ... *gets calculator* about $2.73 per game. Two dollars and seventy-three cents! That's less than the cost of an overpriced cup of coffee.

A famous maxim taught us that silence, also, is valuable. So buy the PS2 version, or win the original cartridges off eBay, or import the Japanese PSX rereleases, or fire up an emulator, but whatever you do, STOP WHINING thank you.

ge-man

Man, this thread is still going? The MMAC is not that bad on GC. The more I look at whole picture, the more that both versions seem to have come out comparitively even. The controls is an annoyance, but not a real problem.

Just give it up already. Go read about the problems with Steel Battallion:LoC so you can see what a real broken game is.

It's worth pointing out that GC gamers get exclusive interviews with the creator of Mega Man while PS2 gamers get clips of the Mega Man cartoon. Guess who wins THAT round.

I'm just surprised that throughout all of this, nobody has mentioned that the collection lacks both Megaman Battle & Chase - which was famously ready for US release (ads actually ran in magazines at the time), translation and all, but was supposedly denied by SCEA - and Megaman Soccer, which seems like it could've easily been added since they managed MM7 well enough. And hey, how about Rockboard, the Rockman party board game that beat Mario Party to the punch by 10 years. I would've loved to finally play that in English!

Not that I'm complaining - I just can't believe nobody else has been. :D

It's worth pointing out that GC gamers get exclusive interviews with the creator of Mega Man while PS2 gamers get clips of the Mega Man cartoon. Guess who wins THAT round.

I'm actually really tempted to get the Cube version specifically for the interview clip, except that I doubt I'd ever be able to see it. You have to beat Megaman 8 to unlock it, and I'm afraid that might be a bit tough when being forced to play the game backwards!

Top Bottom