• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Auction for rare NES-game ends at...

Odrion

Banned
RotBot said:
Baseball cards aren't works of art. One of them sold for $2.35 million.
Stamps aren't works of art, especially not ones that have printing errors. $2.3 million.
G.I. Joe action figures aren't works of art. $200,000.
And so on.
Those are all r-word.org'ed things to buy too.

But I hope this guy was buying this game for profit's sake.
kamorra said:
No._5%2C_1948.jpg

$143m
If you don't see the emotional significance behind this painting you are a baby, spending $150 million on stuff is pretty dumb though. People need to use their money for good, go fund some relief organization or something, jeeze.

gutshot said:
You were all set to pay over $12k for a video game? May I ask why?
RotBot said:
Because the guy who bought it last summer for $14000 just made a $6100 profit on it?

You make no sense. The OP didn't know it was going to sell for 20 grand or if it even would make any profit at all-- that didn't become apparent until after the fact. He was expecting to buy it for $2000 less than what the original owner paid for it.

whitehawk

Banned
Odrion said:
If you don't see the emotional significance behind this painting you are a baby, spending $150 million on stuff is pretty dumb though. People need to use their money for good, go fund some relief organization or something, jeeze.
I guess I'm a baby then.

ArjanN

Odrion said:
Those are all r-word.org'ed things to buy too.

But I hope this guy was buying this game for profit's sake.

I personally don't see the emotional significance behind that painting, and the person who bought it probably didn't either.

A famous painting is still a much better investment than a video game cartridge though. Not to mention a status symbol.

Also, to a person who can spend $150 million, money is totally meaningless anyway. That does not apply to the OP.

Tobor

Whimsical Phil said:
Well, the cartridge is 18 years old, so you'd probably have to blow in it a bit, but yes, it will work on a standard NES.

After paying $20K, I wouldn't even dare blow on it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
drakesfortune said:
The thing will most likely grow in value as time goes on. I don't think it's a bad investment for someone that has a lot of dough sitting around and looks at it as an antique investment type thing. For someone to take out a loan to buy it though...that's silly. The OP is very, very lucky not to have won it.

This, some of you aren't seeing this.

$12K loan that he can work his ass off for, and in a months/years time can sell it for $15K (or more, as the seller made $6K his investment).

Believe it or not, this cart is valuable to NES collectors. Yeah, it might be insane to the rest of us, but some people out there want this cart. *shrug*

tino

Banned
This particular item probably will keep its value, being the only copy in the world.

But if Yamauchi pull a couple more copies out of his ass, then it will totally ruin the market value. :lol

tino

Banned
big black woman said:
but why wouldn't you just enter in your maximum bid? and you can do that anytime before the auction ends..

Sniping only works if you are bidding against 1 or 2 inexperience bidders at the last minute. In other words, it isn't worth the effort.

YYZ

Is the game any good? Would suck to have paid that much money for a shitty game. I can compile a piece of shit, slap it in cartridge form and call it one-of-a-kind.

thomaser said:
So today was a big day for Nintendo-collectors. An auction for the only known existing copy of "Nintendo Campus Challenge 1991" ended a few hours ago. The guy who sold it bought it this summer for $14000, and put it out on ebay now because he's building a house. He made it start at $0.01, with no reserve and let it run for just over a week. The bidding quickly went up to $8500, and stayed that way until just two or three minutes before the auction ended.

Now, I had a hankerin' for this thing myself, so I prepared a bid of $12100 just to be sure to win. I don't have that kind of money, but have a nice bank and figured I could pay it down without too much trouble. So I waited until there was a minute left. Someone bumped it up to $10000 as I wrote in my amount, but I still felt pretty safe. Then I made the bid, got distracted by someone and had to look elsewhere a few seconds. Went back to the computer and clicked the confirm-button. Got held up again, and didn't see how the auction ended. Came back a few minutes later, anxious to see if I had won, and...

Well, I certainly didn't win, that's for sure. In the last few seconds, the price soared up to $20100. Highest amount ever paid for a game.

Here's the link.

GET A BRAIN, MORAN!!!!

Alucrid

Banned
Damn. I felt like I was losing a piece of my soul when I spent $100 on a record. :lol But hey, if you have the cash why not. Crazy price though, I thought he was going to lose money on the deal at first.

Barrett2

TheSeks said:
This, some of you aren't seeing this.

$12K loan that he can work his ass off for, and in a months/years time can sell it for $15K (or more, as the seller made $6K his investment).

Believe it or not, this cart is valuable to NES collectors. Yeah, it might be insane to the rest of us, but some people out there want this cart. *shrug*

You honestly think this cartridge would appreciate in value at even a fraction of the interest appreciation of the loan he would take out to buy it?

OP should only buy it if he has cash on hand.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I'm a diehard collector of horror props and films. And I payed massive amounts of cash for masks and replicas, that people wouldn't pay for. So I know how collecting feel and how good it is, to get a rare piece.

But seriously, 20000$ for a fucking cartridge? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Tobor said:
After paying $20K, I wouldn't even dare blow on it.
That's the joke, etc.

big black woman said:
but why wouldn't you just enter in your maximum bid? and you can do that anytime before the auction ends..
Let's say there's something on eBay that I'm willing to say $20 for. So three days before the auction ends, I put in my high bid of $20.

After the three days, the auction is about to end, and the price is only up to $17. I'm still winning the auction since my high bid is $20.

With 10 seconds left in the auction, though, someone comes in with a high bid of $20.50. I have now lost by pennies because of an auction sniper.

Chances are, if I was willing to pay $20 for this item that I really wanted, I would also be willing to pay, say, $21. Because a sniper came in and bid at the last minute, I never got the chance to counterbid. Therefore, it behooves me to withhold my bid until the last possible second to avoid being sniped.

Seth C

The biggest issue I have with this is that it is just Super Mario 3, Pinbot, and Dr. Mario strung together in a sequence you get to play for a whopping 6 minutes. You could get those three games for about $10.

Whimsical Phil said:
Chances are, if I was willing to pay $20 for this item that I really wanted, I would also be willing to pay, say, $21.

If your maximum bid was 20 and you would have paid 21, then 20 wasn't your maximum bid.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you're my god damn hero.

i wish i cared about something enough to spend 12 grand on it.

seriously, that's fucking love.

Whimsical Phil

big black woman said:
If your maximum bid was 20 and you would have paid 21, then 20 wasn't your maximum bid.
You're missing the point.

If I had entered $21 as my maximum bid, the sniper could/would have won the auction with a bid of $21.25.

It has less to do with your "maximum bid" than it does with "would you pay 50 cents more than your maximum bid in order to win the item over someone else who is bidding at the last second?" That's figuring the sniper's 25¢ increase over your "maximum bid" followed by your 25¢ increase over the sniper. A quarter is still the minimum bid on eBay, isn't it?

If you're dead set on only paying a fixed price for an item and not a penny more, then sure, go ahead and place your max bid days in advance. If the auction is for something that you really want and it would upset you if you lost the auction because of a quarter, then you're going to want to bid at the last second.

big black woman said:

Because there's always the risk some jerk will bid in the last 5 seconds and win for +$0.05

Whimsical Phil said:
You're missing the point.

If I had entered $21 as my maximum bid, the sniper could/would have won the auction with a bid of $21.25.

ha, and if you would have paid $21.25, that means $21 wasn't your max bid. Is it really that hard to figure out your max bid? Just say to yourself, "would i pay a 50 cents more for that"? and when the answer is "no", that is your maximum bid. And you're done, no more worrying about sniping...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
big black woman said:
ha, and if you would have paid $21.25, that means $21 wasn't your max bid. Is it really that hard to figure out your max bid? Just say to yourself, "would i pay a 50 cents more for that"? and when the answer is "no", that is your maximum bid. And you're done, no more worrying about sniping...
I would pay an unlimited amount for a lot of collectibles I want, but only in 50-cent increments.

Whimsical Phil

big black woman said:
Well, I just hope you and I are bidding on the same item sometime so that I can get it for 25 cents more than you were willing to pay. :D

AstroLad said:
I would pay an unlimited amount for a lot of collectibles I want, but only in 50-cent increments.
THANK YOU!

Whimsical Phil said:
Well, I just hope you and I are bidding on the same item sometime so that I can get it for 25 cents more than you were willing to pay. :D

THANK YOU!

I'd be happy to not pay more than I was willing to. You can't say aww fuck I would've paid 25 cents more for that and then blame someone else. It's your fault. There's a reason eBay asks you to put your maximum bid. Are you saying you'd always be willing to pay 25 cents more? Does it never end?

Whimsical Phil:I'd pay 50 cents more!
AstroLad: And I'd pay 50 cents more!
Whimsical Phil: And I'd pay 50 cents more, hell it's only 50 cents!
AstroLad: Damn straight, I'm not going to lose by that much add 50 cents for me too!
Before you know it you're paying $214.50 for a screen protector.

Slavik81

big black woman said:
I'd be happy to not pay more than I was willing to. You can't say aww fuck I would've paid 25 cents more for that and then blame someone else. It's your fault. There's a reason eBay asks you to put your maximum bid. Are you saying you'd always be willing to pay 25 cents more? Does it never end?
Let's see if I can reconcile your logical viewpoint with Phil's feeling...

People rarely enter their real maximum bid in part because they don't actually know what it is. Your maximum bid should be the highest dollar value that you'd pay that still leaves you better off winning the auction than losing. Unfortunately, it's impossible to know with certainty exactly how much better off something will make you, and so the number you enter will never be any better than a rough, probability-weighted estimate.

People will often revise their estimate on a number of things. Other people valuing it more highly that they do is potentially one thing that might make them revise their estimate upwards. A person is more likely to think something is valuable if other people also think it has value.

Of course, this effect has limits, but they're fuzzy.

Whimsical Phil said:
THANK YOU!
I think he was mocking you...

thomaser

Thanks for all the well-meaning advice, people! Phew, now I'm really glad I didn't sink into that hell of debt. Seriously, if I had asked the bank for that loan to cover part of the amount, it wouldn't affect my economy much outside having to give up a few other unnecessary things for a while. Like walking the three minutes to work instead of driving, and buying only five cds each month for a year instead of 20-30 (I collect music as well... and furniture, and books).

I have a savings account I could use for the auction, but never touch it. I also have a nice disposable income, but not enough to cover things like this auction. Hence loaning for sudden large expenses, so I won't have to take anything from what I've tucked away in savings. Maybe it's not a smart way to do it, but I like doing it that way since the safety net stays untouched. So no need to think that I just dodged a bullet, but thanks for the concern. It's moot anyway, since I gambled too low, didn't win, and won't have to spend a dime. The winner is loaded, so I don't think she's losing any sleep over her own economy either.

Videogame collecting is a fairly new thing. I came into it seriously a little over ten years ago when the rarest games rarely went for over $1000. That's when I got an NWC 1990 gold cart, which is now also worth around $20000, and which will only continue to appreciate in value since it's so well known and sought after. Getting things like that for cheap doesn't happen much any longer, so we have to go the extra mile to get the best items. Transactions at the $10000-level happens several times each year now. Still, I don't know a single collector who has got into trouble economically because of buying expensive games. I do know several who have made out like bandits, though, when they resell their stuff later. I'm not one of them, since I never sell my best things. I just put them in the bank box and take them out once in a while to rub them against my naked skin. It feels good, man.

Top Bottom