• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jason Schreier] Rumors Go Dark as Video-Game Leakers Face a Reckoning

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Would someone please think of the marketing and ads department!
You joke but a poorly managed pre release could kill a game. Not having your pr material ready when the game details leak or a poor off screen photo of an old build can affect future sales of the IP.

The Snitch's leaks led to dampening game shows opinions. With no surprises, the highs aren't as high for viewers.

If the new Zelda game was leaked a week ago with all the mechanics and plot, would the excitement be the same. Now think of an IP that doesn't have the strong fanbase and their first impression is based off someone giving cliff notes.

Miles708

You joke but a poorly managed pre release could kill a game. Not having your pr material ready when the game details leak or a poor off screen photo of an old build can affect future sales of the IP.

The Snitch's leaks led to dampening game shows opinions. With no surprises, the highs aren't as high for viewers.

If the new Zelda game was leaked a week ago with all the mechanics and plot, would the excitement be the same. Now think of an IP that doesn't have the strong fanbase and their first impression is based off someone giving cliff notes.

Game shows have been terrible for more than a decade well before this fabricated leak crisis, as for small games nobody cares enough to leak those (or care about the leak if they should ever happen) while leaks about big games do not lead to less sales, as we saw.

This is all nonsense, because we have been instructed to see even mild copyright violations as something as important as killing a man. It isn't.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Game shows have been terrible for more than a decade well before this fabricated leak crisis, as for small games nobody cares enough to leak those (or care about the leak if they should ever happen) while leaks about big games do not lead to less sales, as we saw.

This is all nonsense, because we have been instructed to see even mild copyright violations as something as important as killing a man. It isn't.
I never claimed it's the same as killing man. You went straight for escalation to the extreme than debate. I said that poorly leaked information on a game could damage it. There are fucking idiots in 2024 that honestly believe that Abby is the trans character in The Last of Us: Part II. The game is out 4 years. To claim leaking can damage games is nonsense is in fact nonsense.

Last edited:

Miles708

I never claimed it's the same as killing man. You went straight for escalation to the extreme than debate. I said that poorly leaked information on a game could damage it. There are fucking idiots in 2024 that honestly believe that Abby is the trans character in The Last of Us: Part II. The game is out 4 years. To claim leaking can damage games is nonsense is in fact nonsense.

By that same account i also remember the puddlegate stemming from the leaked photos of Spider-Man, that was some serious nonsense as well.
But both these games sold great, so at the end of the day this is nothing impactful.
While i understand the frustration I also believe this kind of stuff mainly circles around the usual echo chambers, separated from the general public

Moses85

1800x1013.jpg

Good summary article by Jason on the recent leaker drama
Dancing GIF

FingerBang

The problem with vaguely hinting at stuff people get mad at you for even that telling you to spill it all or shut up

I love to drop very vague hints of stuff I have heard and most times but don't pick up what I was trying to tease, maybe I should up my game ;)
I think it's not worth sharing in the end, especially when what you heard is years away. Only share publicly what you know after someone else has leaked stuff, and it's safe to do so (in other words, your sources don't get blamed). Shit changes, games get canned, release dates move. You think you're doing something nice, but you just get a ton of hate instead.

Also, I HATE when an entire showcase gets leaked a few hours before it happens. Why do so then and spoil the surprise?

Top Bottom