• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophiles: Games with Great Surround Testing

I'm looking for games that can be used to test your Surround system, mainly in Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Pro Logic II.

Off the top of my head, I know that Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike comes to mind on GameCube with it's Tie Fighter Surround Test.

Anyone know of any others for any system (PS2, XBX, GCN)?

newsguy

NFL 2K5 has a pretty cool surround test where you can control with the analog stick exactly where the sound moves.

Burnout 3, holy shit this game sounds awesome in my home theatre (52" HDTV, professionally installed hella expensive sound system - in other words not from a box off the shelf in Best Buy, the rear channels are mounted inside the ceiling and project sound downwards).

Nothing on GameCube. Pro Logic II is mediocre at best when it comes to surround sound. I don't have any good 5.1 PS2 games. Xbox is really the way to go for home theatre gaming, tons of games are 480p and 5.1 sound. Halo 2 also sounds quite good. They used foley for that game so the sound effects are way awesome compared to most games.

I've got Brothers in Arms, but it's not the best surround. I had problems getting it working right sometimes.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
pj325is said:
The halo 2 LE bonus disc has a 5.1 thing, but GOOD LUCK FINDING THAT!

I'm not sure whats funnier, that the person took your post as fact, or your implied sarcasm :lol

I was really impressed with Jet Set Radio Future - not only were the SFX all in surround, the music was mixed in 5.1, too. Other than that, not sure what I'd recommend off the top of my head.

What's the 5.1 thing on the Halo 2 LE disc? I want to check it out but I'm not gonna do it right away unless it's actually cool.

pj

Banned
StrikerObi said:
What's the 5.1 thing on the Halo 2 LE disc? I want to check it out but I'm not gonna do it right away unless it's actually cool.

It's a grunt and a hunter on the screen, and the grunt says something in each channel individually, then the hunter growls for the LFE test.

For PS2 games...Not necessarily sound tracks.

God of War is excellent for Pro Logic (No PLII though)
Just keep in mind there is a difference between Encoded PL, PLII, PLIIx, and Non Encoded.

I think MGS3 is Encoded PLIIx (7.1), and Firefighter FD 18 is Encoded DD5.1 (True 5.1)

You can also try Final Fantasy X-2's Luca Theater.
Options include:
Dolby Digital Surround EX 5.1 or 6.1 (depending on the decoder)
Dolby Surround Pro Logic II 5Ch.
Dolby Pro Logic 4Ch.
Stereo.

I actually use FFX-2 since I still have old Pro Logic stuff.
I would upgrade to PLII but I have an amazingly good sounding old school Pioneer and I'd rather wait until PLIIx prices come down.

I think AVIA or something makes Calibration disks for your purpose though.
I have some El Cheapo calibration DVD that works fairly well for making sure all your equipment is plugged in correctly.

HokieJoe

mini-rant:

Game developers have given sound design short shrift far, far too often IMO. In total I've found very few games that actually have gotten it right. Even with the Xbox's 5.1 Dolby Digital capability, it often falls short IMO. Sound quality is probably my #1 complaint.

Often, weapons or cars aren't gutteral enough. That is, they don't have a visceral or real quality to them. It really sounds like many games use over-compressed samples for their in-game stuff. I'm not familiar with what encoding techniques or what bit rates most games use though so take that FWIW. Not unlike the video portion, I'm sure that developers have hardware limitations in this regard as well though, so...

rant off/

That said, in my experience, two of the better games are PGR2 and Doom 3. Halo is pretty good overall as well. The neat thing about PGR2 is that the sound varies as you go over different road surfaces. This effect registers in my surround channels. If you're way ahead of some cars and pass under an overpass as they're crossing it, you can hear them over head in the surround channels.

Doom 3 has pretty good sound overall- at least the surround mix. Your rear channels will get somewhat of a workout with it. Again though, the sound quality of this game could be much better IMO. The PC version's sound quality is better, but of course it doesn't have 5.1 DD, so it falls on that point.

Two of the more stand-out sound implementations I've heard on the PC are Call of Duty and AVP2. That bit on the bridge with the Brit paratroopers in COD is quite impressive with all the bullets ricocheting and shit it's pretty overwhelming. With AVP2, they really nailed the sound and feel of the weapons found in the movies very well IMO.

BTW, one Xbox game I forgot was Ghost Recon 2. It has a fairly solid sound presentation.

Anyway, JMO.

EDIT:

I wasn't sure if you were asking for reference standard type sound presentations or just games with surround tests per se.

Shompola

Banned
Midtown madness 3 surround is awesome. try to change camera and see how the sound changes.. it feels like you're in the car.

MGS3
MGS3
MGS3

Seriously, it's the best surround encoded game I've come across, and that's saying something considering the game is DPL2 rather than dolby digital. Resident Evil 4 also does a standup job, and those two games are noticeably better than any other DPL2 implementations I can think of.

Rogue Leader (GCN) has a nifty directionality tester for Pro Logic 2, but in game the directionality is pretty damn weak.

Bebpo

Banned
Tekki/Steel Battalion has the best sound I've ever heard from a game when going through a 5.1 system. Though it might be a bit expensive if you just wanna test out your sound system ^^;

Top Bottom