• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia tour of South Africa |OT| Battle of the Batsmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa! Sorry for not posting mutch but I have been watchinge every ball intently and no time to post.

What a sharp session by the Aussies there! Great bowling by Mitch and rhino, this could be over by the end of today if the reverse swing comes....

I noticed that the ball which Mitch bowled to Elgar landed on ones side of the ball, thus scuffing it up.

He said in an interview he could pitch the ball so it landed on one side and helped them get the ball in the right condition to reverse swing it. I laughed it off thinking that no one could deliberately land the ball on on side during the delivery but it sort of looked like it did there.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Goddamn calm down warner.

edit: oh wait, thought dar was telling warner to not throw it in the rough, not for mouthing off at amla like I thought. Still, should be haddin to cop that I feel.

These pace bowlers have 2 places they are allowed to bowl for the next 20 overs.

The grill

and

The off stump

Nowhere else. Don't let them relax. Fucking bury them. No time to be complacent and hope for a mistake. Make a mistake.

waiting.gif

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So close!

Need to get Du Plessis before his roots find groundwater.

Oooooooh commentators cracked the shits at the "shines the ball on his zipper" comment by Warner out there.
Weren't happy with that one whatsoever lol

Now in with "deliberately altering the state of the ball" when talking about the Australians throwing short of the keeper. Salty as fuck lol

Dizzan

MINI Member
I really see a draw coming on... We need Warne and McGrath to finish this thing.

400 ball partnership for 30 runs coming up.

elfinke

So close!

Need to get Du Plessis before his roots find groundwater.

+Like

Oooooooh commentators cracked the shits at the "shines the ball on his zipper" comment by Warner out there.
Weren't happy with that one whatsoever lol

Now in with "deliberately altering the state of the ball" when talking about the Australians throwing short of the keeper. Salty as fuck lol

Yep. Fucking armchair commentary. Can't believe I'm stuck listening to Mark-fucking-Nicholas, either.

Pretty enjoyable stuff so far, given there are no runs, and no aggressive cricket shots being played.

Also, Smithy's bowling > Watson's bowling.
And that's to say nothing of their batting.

So my theory is, the Aussies are excessively throwing the ball in on the bounce to scuff the ball up on one side for reverse swing, and also point out how it was done by opposition teams (namely South Africa in the second test).

One of the Aussies' biggest weakness in recent times has been playing reverse swing against England, Pakistan and South Africa. By bringing the umpires' attention to how the roughness was caused in the second test, they reduce the likelihood of an opposition team deliberately throwing the ball into the pitch in the future because the umpires will know what they are talking about.

No doubt the Aussies spoke to the umps during or after the second test about what they believed the South Africans were doing (as they were saying it in interviews after the match), yet maybe their claims were dismissed by officials. They may have even been questioned that you can alter the ball significantly enough through returning the ball on the bounce, and this type of practice highlights that you can.

So while I don't agree that the Aussies should be doing it, I do believe that it is helping the Aussies in the long run by hopefully bringing in a law or penalties for this type of cricket.

South Africa won the second test through this practice so the commentators shouldn't be so salty about what is going on.

It's not in the spirit of cricket for any team to do it so I hope they remember it. I also hope that the icc brings in some very stiff penalties for teams undertaking in this practice.

hamchan

How are you supposed to stop people not throwing the ball in on the full though? The excuse of saving energy by not using a full power throw seems like a legitimate one to me.

How are you supposed to stop people not throwing the ball in on the full though? The excuse of saving energy by not using a full power throw seems like a legitimate one to me.

How do umpires call a delivery as dangerous or a player deliberately changing their running line to run in the path of the ball?

It would be a subjective call made by the umpire and match referee when reviewing the days play. They could even warn players or captains before it's reviewed. Not hard. A throw from the boundary would obviously be allowed to bounce, however one from 25m, when the ball is dead (it can be considered dead without the fielder throwing it into the keeper) is not necessary and can be stamped out.

Great over by Harris there. C'mon Aussies!

Harris got a bit of magic going on back that's it.

Need to bowl at the stumps and move it away just enough to get the edge.

Need to do something.

hang-in-there.gif

Fuck it. Goin to bed. Faf looks bored. Disappointing end to the series.

A fighting draw would be a nice send-off for Graeme Smith, but still nearly 40 overs to go. One more wicket and they're seven down and into the tail.

It's crazy though, they were 15/3 after about 20 minutes yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom